Sports Media Thread

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Sports Media Thread

Postby David » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:30 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
David wrote:who was that local sports anchor/reporter who was on CLTV and got caught up in some creepy sex scandal of some kind in the mid-late 90s?

Was it greeny? He interviewed me when I was playing high school football and I've always thought he was creepy.

haha...no though. the guy had to quit and fell off the map completely. i can't even remember if it was to the point of being something criminal or if it was just a scandal of some kind.

edit - i guess i must've been remembering it wrong...but he did go to jail. and then apparently released?!

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2008 ... licitation

Goldman was arrested in April 2002 after arranging to meet with someone he thought was a girl, but was actually an undercover investigator for the Lake County state's attorney's office.

At trial, the investigator, Mark Pleasant, testified that he first began communicating with Goldman posing as a 15-year-old girl in an Internet sting.

They made an agreement to meet near the Gurnee library on one occasion, but the meeting did not occur. In 2002, they set up a meeting that purportedly was to be at the girl's home in Waukegan. Goldman was arrested before he reached the home, and handwritten directions to the address were in his car.

Goldman was sentenced to 30 months of probation, 200 hours of community service and ordered to pay $1,000 to the Lake County Children's Advocacy Center.

In 2005, he was jailed briefly after his probation was revoked because he was seen handing out candy to children on Halloween. Brandstrader said Goldman has completed his probation successfully.
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:28 pm

David wrote:who was that local sports anchor/reporter who was on CLTV and got caught up in some creepy sex scandal of some kind in the mid-late 90s?

Rob Goldman
1 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:25 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:

Rob Goldman

He was actually a pretty good sports anchor too. A creepy, sex scandal-y anchor, but a good one
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:00 pm

2 x

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:28 pm

Jayson Stark also to the Athletic.
0 x
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:44 pm

bukie wrote:Jayson Stark also to the Athletic.

He was a free agent for a longer time than I expected.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:35 pm

I know ESPN had way too many people on the payroll, but the cupboard is totally bare now. Whatever small redeeming quality a show like Mike & Mike had is now gone because a) Trey Wingo an insufferable d-bag on the radio and b) they have the same three guests on every day because they fired everyone else at the network
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:55 am

Mannnnnnn, between Sahadev and Mooney, the Athletic's Cubs coverage is in a great great place. Worth the price alone (not to mention the Bears content too...Bulls coverage seems MEH).

And I was a big anti-Athletic guy
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:01 am

David wrote:Mannnnnnn, between Sahadev and Mooney, the Athletic's Cubs coverage is in a great great place. Worth the price alone (not to mention the Bears content too...Bulls coverage seems MEH).

I too thought their idea/model was dumb and wouldn’t work but I caved over the weekend with the Darvish signing. I got a 30% off for a year offer. Their Cubs coverage is really, really good and with all the other hires lately their MLB coverage overall should be quite good.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:11 am

David wrote:Mannnnnnn, between Sahadev and Mooney, the Athletic's Cubs coverage is in a great great place. Worth the price alone (not to mention the Bears content too...Bulls coverage seems MEH).

Yes, the infrequent stuff Rian Watt did for them(although he's now at Fangraphs) was very good too.

I will say, I wasn't sure if this was the CSN influence or not, but Mooney's stuff has a sensationalist, Wittenmyerian cynicism at times that rubs me the wrong way. He's still the best with sourced rumors, and maybe more time around Sharma will help, but it's just enough to annoy me in a fair number of his columns.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:32 am

Please just copy and paste for the rest of us, thanks.
0 x

Wilson A2000
5-Time All-Star

Postby Wilson A2000 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:42 am

White Sox to WGN 720
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:41 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:

Yes, the infrequent stuff Rian Watt did for them(although he's now at Fangraphs) was very good too.

I will say, I wasn't sure if this was the CSN influence or not, but Mooney's stuff has a sensationalist, Wittenmyerian cynicism at times that rubs me the wrong way. He's still the best with sourced rumors, and maybe more time around Sharma will help, but it's just enough to annoy me in a fair number of his columns.
mooney is too sensationalist for you ?

Is that ketchup also too spicy mayonnaise boy?
3 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:12 pm

Wilson A2000 wrote:White Sox to WGN 720

WGN has really fallen on hard times
0 x

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:47 pm

Grant Brisbee posted that he's stepping back from McCovey chronicles to write more about other baseball teams for SB nation.
0 x
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:59 pm

Totally agree. It was the CFB site that got me on board but the Cubs stuff is a huge part of the reason I'm staying.
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

Bobson Dugnutt
All-Star

Postby Bobson Dugnutt » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:49 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:

yeah he's mostly good, but i've been just a bit annoyed with some of his writing lately too. his "who's going to lead the clubhouse now that jon jay, jake arrieta and wade davis are gone" article was pretty silly to me.
1 x

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:40 am

Bobson Dugnutt wrote:yeah he's mostly good, but i've been just a bit annoyed with some of his writing lately too. his "who's going to lead the clubhouse now that jon jay, jake arrieta and wade davis are gone" article was pretty silly to me.

Which of the 16 World Champions are going to lead the clubhouse now that they no longer have 2 guys who joined them after winning the World Series and turned them into gutless chocking dogs?
1 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:46 pm

Duke Silver wrote:
Bobson Dugnutt wrote:yeah he's mostly good, but i've been just a bit annoyed with some of his writing lately too. his "who's going to lead the clubhouse now that jon jay, jake arrieta and wade davis are gone" article was pretty silly to me.

Which of the 16 World Champions are going to lead the clubhouse now that they no longer have 2 guys who joined them after winning the World Series and turned them into gutless chocking dogs?

I have to imagine anybody irked by that article didn't read it past the headline, which was pretty innocuous itself. It wasn't the least bit sensationalist or Debbie downerish. He cited player and coaching changes, and then talked about guys' roles in the clubhouse.
He didn't suggest nobody is capable of the job or insist it was a bad idea to get rid of prior leaders. He got a good quote from Hoyer about no longer bringing in vets like David Ross to bring established leaders from outside, and having others step into that role as a result of natural growth in their own career.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Bobson Dugnutt
All-Star

Postby Bobson Dugnutt » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:35 pm

nah, i read it. i just think it's a silly premise to explore with this group given the last three years, and it's a well that people keep going back to. last summer, i had family members insisting that the reason the cubs were struggling is that they were missing the leadership of David Ross, Dexter Fowler, and Travis Wood. now we're wondering how we'll do without Jake, Davis, and Jon Jay's leadership. yeah, those guys all brought something to the clubhouse i'm sure. but aside from assembling a powerhouse roster, Theo and Jed focus pretty heavily on character. the content of the article was fine i guess, but leadership is not one of the "10 crucial questions the cubs have to answer this season."
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:10 pm

Bobson Dugnutt wrote:nah, i read it. i just think it's a silly premise to explore with this group"

I guess you aren't familiar with the concept of writing about sports, especially during the preseason training portion of the season.
0 x

Bobson Dugnutt
All-Star

Postby Bobson Dugnutt » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:20 pm

lol. i guess not.
0 x

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:17 pm

So $1 per week for the Athletic? I always told myself I would never pay for sports content or any news content. But then I remembered I used to pay 35 cents daily for the Sun Times back in the day and that was garbage.
0 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:04 pm

Brian707 wrote:So $1 per week for the Athletic? I always told myself I would never pay for sports content or any news content. But then I remembered I used to pay 35 cents daily for the Sun Times back in the day and that was garbage.

You can usually get it for less than that; they pretty much always have some sort of sale going on.
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:54 pm

I guess Baldy has never heard of Mark Gonzales (or filters)
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”