Sports Media Thread

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Sports Media Thread

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:56 am

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:59 pm

Holy horsefeathers he's still in the damn hospital?
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:13 pm

1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:16 pm

Pretty crafty way to duck out of all holiday obligations.
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:20 pm

[tweet][/tweet]
jersey cubs fan wrote:

Like remember you are dust and to dust you shall return?
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:35 am

Barstool Sports briefly becomes semi-self-aware and shuts down their comments section "until further notice" because they're too racist; completely misses the point as to why people like that flock to them in the first place:

https://deadspin.com/barstool-sports-sh ... 1831688120

As per King [expletive] Portnoy:

So I’ve noticed the comment section which I horsefeathering despise and have despised for a long time is getting worse and worse. We try to stop it. We try to ban people. We can’t stay ahead of it. I’m talking N bombs in every post. The last post I wrote there was a comment that said “I hope N bomb blow their heads off with a gun?” Are you serious? Well I’ve had enough. I’ve made the decision to shut it down effective immediately until we can regain control of it. And if we never bring it back I don’t care. I don’t care if you hate me, hate Barstool, etc. I don’t care. The racist horsefeathers has to stop. If we can’t stop it I’ll just eliminate it and that’s exactly what I just did. People will blame Erika, Chernin etc. Guess what they wanted to keep it and fix it. I’m told it will cost our company money with clicks. Guess what? I don’t care. It’s trash. The people in it are trash. Go read some other site. Don’t care. Bye losers.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:00 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Barstool Sports briefly becomes semi-self-aware and shuts down their comments section "until further notice" because they're too racist; completely misses the point as to why people like that flock to them in the first place:

So I’ve noticed the comment section which I horsefeathering despise and have despised for a long time is getting worse and worse. We try to stop it. We try to ban people. We can’t stay ahead of it. I’m talking N bombs in every post. The last post I wrote there was a comment that said “I hope N bomb blow their heads off with a gun?” Are you serious? Well I’ve had enough. I’ve made the decision to shut it down effective immediately until we can regain control of it. And if we never bring it back I don’t care. I don’t care if you hate me, hate Barstool, etc. I don’t care. The racist horsefeathers has to stop. If we can’t stop it I’ll just eliminate it and that’s exactly what I just did. People will blame Erika, Chernin etc. Guess what they wanted to keep it and fix it. I’m told it will cost our company money with clicks. Guess what? I don’t care. It’s trash. The people in it are trash. Go read some other site. Don’t care. Bye losers.

Reading things like this make me feel pretty decent about my approach over the years.
7 x
Spoiler: show

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:37 pm

Tim wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Barstool Sports briefly becomes semi-self-aware and shuts down their comments section "until further notice" because they're too racist; completely misses the point as to why people like that flock to them in the first place:

Reading things like this make me feel pretty decent about my approach over the years.

Forking A right, no iceholes
3 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:56 pm

lolololol, I just remembered the time my girlfriend came home and was sad because she was unable to influence an internet commenter with her logic and facts
3 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:16 pm

0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:47 pm

I didn't want to spoil the surprise that I had hired him for the front page of NSBB. Thanks a lot, man.
1 x
Spoiler: show

Bertz
Starter

Postby Bertz » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:44 pm

I wonder where he's going. I kind of hope ESPN, because IMO that would imply good things about how Sam Miller's been doing there. Also I assume ESPNers get compensated the best amongst their peers, and these guys deserve it.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:48 pm

I know it largely sucked, but still kinda sucks to see BBTN be canceled. Also, imo, is kinda weird Espn is killing any non live broadcast baseball show considering they pay so much for the rights to broadcast. You’d think a daily/nightly show would help drive interest/viewers to their games, but what do I know. I guess 24 hours of Lebron updates and NFL/college football centered shows from May-September is where the viewers are.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:56 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1090006631193010176?s=21

I know it largely sucked, but still kinda sucks to see BBTN be canceled. Also, imo, is kinda weird Espn is killing any non live broadcast baseball show considering they pay so much for the rights to broadcast. You’d think a daily/nightly show would help drive interest/viewers to their games, but what do I know. I guess 24 hours of Lebron updates and NFL/college football centered shows from May-September is where the viewers are.

They're just dying a very slow motion death; eventually it'll be the same deal with their football or basektball-specific shows, too.

Why is somebody going to wait for ESPN's shows specific to the sport they like when they can just turn on the 24/7 networks instead?
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:23 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1090006631193010176?s=21

They're just dying a very slow motion death; eventually it'll be the same deal with their football or basektball-specific shows, too.

Why is somebody going to wait for ESPN's shows specific to the sport they like when they can just turn on the 24/7 networks instead?

I don’t think they’re going to do the same with football or basketball anytime soon, they’re doubling down on them. They’re pretty much all Lebron/NBA/NFL year round now for their shows, which is fine. I’m glad there’s an MLBN to watch, but they still have some trash shows. Would be nice if ESPN still had theirs to watch when MLBN had a trash program or segment on.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:25 pm

it was cancelled like 2 seasons ago
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:34 pm

17 Seconds wrote:

Doing it every night was, but they still did a Sunday show and like 1-2 shows during the weeknight I believe. They also had Intentional Talk on everyday last year (Millar and Rose show). Which isn’t special but would’ve been nice to see them keep some sort of baseball show in that slot.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:35 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

I don’t think they’re going to do the same with football or basketball anytime soon, they’re doubling down on them. They’re pretty much all Lebron/NBA/NFL year round now for their shows, which is fine. I’m glad there’s an MLBN to watch, but they still have some trash shows. Would be nice if ESPN still had theirs to watch when MLBN had a trash program or segment on.

That's why I said eventually; it's going to happen. ESPN isn't going to last much longer as a gimme in cable packages; what made it so successful in the beginning is now making it too expensive for the carriers. It's only advantage it has is the scope of its availability, and even that is being chipped away by the other newer sports networks, or the regional ones making it less unique.

Yeah, people love to rant about how politics are sinking ESPN, but it's this horsefeathers. They can't stop it.
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:07 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:

Doing it every night was, but they still did a Sunday show and like 1-2 shows during the weeknight I believe. They also had Intentional Talk on everyday last year (Millar and Rose show). Which isn’t special but would’ve been nice to see them keep some sort of baseball show in that slot.

they're still doing the sunday show
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:18 pm

https://deadspin.com/humorless-pittsbur ... 1832196594

A Pittsburgh TV station has fired an employee who used a chyron calling Tom Brady a “known cheater” into a broadcast on Monday, SI.com reported.

2 x

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:37 pm

Brisbee to The Athletic
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:01 pm

Tim wrote:I didn't want to spoil the surprise that I had hired him for the front page of NSBB. Thanks a lot, man.

Wait, this site has a front page?
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:49 pm

NonProfitCow wrote:Brisbee to The Athletic

Dammit this might be the straw that broke the camel’s back for me. Gonna have to sign up
0 x
Win it for Fred

Mark Prior's Calves
5-Time All-Star

Postby Mark Prior's Calves » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:57 pm

So now that Drew Magary has at least somewhat returned to writing, is there any idea of what happened?
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:59 pm

Mark Prior's Calves wrote:So now that Drew Magary has at least somewhat returned to writing, is there any idea of what happened?

I assume the tweet story was more or less what happened, but for legal/insurance reasons he (or his wife) deleted it
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”