Sports Media Thread

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Re: Sports Media Thread

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:21 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:https://twitter.com/samer/status/1223007009575985155?s=21

I like the authentic, terrible mobile interface feel, of this startup blog.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:14 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:https://twitter.com/samer/status/1223007009575985155?s=21

looks like tree got himself a side-gig!
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:38 pm

Yeah, I knew it was only a matter of time till Kiley McDaniel left Fangraphs again. It really sucks that he's leaving, but at least we'll still get to read his stuff over at ESPN (or ESPN+). He's basically taking Keith Law's old role and will be their lead prospect analyst/MLB draft guy.

I guess Eric Longenhagen now takes over full-time at Fangraphs. Not sure how different ESPN's lists will be from Fangraphs going forward since Eric and Kiley share a similar philosophy on evaluating players, but I'm sure they differ on some stuff. I'm happy for Kiley and this should be a nice pay raise, but it is kinda sad he's leaving Fangraphs.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:45 pm

I guess I'll renew that insider subscription that was going to lapse in April.

I wonder if ESPN is going to poach anyone else. With Kiley, Passan, and Sam Miller, they have the best or very nearly the best writers of their type. They basically just need to steal Ben Lindbergh from the Ringer to get someone in that lane and complete the set.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:37 pm

Bertz wrote:I guess I'll renew that insider subscription that was going to lapse in April.

I wonder if ESPN is going to poach anyone else. With Kiley, Passan, and Sam Miller, they have the best or very nearly the best writers of their type. They basically just need to steal Ben Lindbergh from the Ringer to get someone in that lane and complete the set.

Ben Lindbergh is great and I enjoy reading his stuff, but if you're stealing someone from The Ringer it's gotta be Rany Jazayerli. He's one of my favorite writers period.

Problem is The Ringer allows Ben and Rany to write about other stuff like videogames, KC Chiefs and politics and pop culture stuff that isn't possible over at ESPN.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:54 pm

Regular Show wrote:
Bertz wrote:I guess I'll renew that insider subscription that was going to lapse in April.

Ben Lindbergh is great and I enjoy reading his stuff, but if you're stealing someone from The Ringer it's gotta be Rany Jazayerli. He's one of my favorite writers period.

Problem is The Ringer allows Ben and Rany to write about other stuff like videogames, KC Chiefs and politics and pop culture stuff that isn't possible over at ESPN.

Yeah that's a great point, I can't imagine Ben would give up writing about video games and Star Wars. But I think that's the style of writer ESPN is still missing, a baseball counterpart to Bill Barnwell essentially.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:15 pm

I don't watch much NFL anymore, but I might have to start again...

https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/jay-cu ... e0aya9v5h0

Cutler recently met with both ESPN and CBS about a potential future in broadcasting, The Big Lead has learned from multiple sources with knowledge of the news.
1 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:18 pm

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:08 pm

Gordo leaving the Sun Times.

0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:08 pm

Better than politics twitter

1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:39 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:Better than politics twitter

That's disgusting, but awesome.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:13 pm

Deadspin is publishing things again...
0 x
Win it for Fred

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:20 pm

^^ Yeah, and they put out something I clicked on because we're watching it happen in the MLB right now:

https://deadspin.com/the-nfl-is-churnin ... 1842300708
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:34 pm

New Deadspin is desperately trying trying to rebuild Deadspin's image by spitting hot takes, not really realizing that this was not the essence of what made Deadspin great. Here are 2 of the articles I've seen so far:

"Tom Brady is the Most Overrated QB in History. New England Should Be Glad He's Gone"

"Rick Pitino is Back in College Basketball. A Black Coach Would Never Be Able to Pull This Off"
0 x
Win it for Fred

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:58 pm

UMFan83 wrote:New Deadspin is desperately trying trying to rebuild Deadspin's image by spitting hot takes, not really realizing that this was not the essence of what made Deadspin great. Here are 2 of the articles I've seen so far:

"Tom Brady is the Most Overrated QB in History. New England Should Be Glad He's Gone"

"Rick Pitino is Back in College Basketball. A Black Coach Would Never Be Able to Pull This Off"

Eh it's kind of hard to judge off a headline. Those legit both sound like headlines old deadspin would have made.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:08 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:New Deadspin is desperately trying trying to rebuild Deadspin's image by spitting hot takes, not really realizing that this was not the essence of what made Deadspin great. Here are 2 of the articles I've seen so far:

Eh it's kind of hard to judge off a headline. Those legit both sound like headlines old deadspin would have made.

0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:12 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:

Hey if it makes you feel better I'm not gonna read the article to find out how far off the mark they were.
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:11 am

those sound nothing like old deadspin headlines. it's the most hello fellow kids thing i've ever seen
1 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:07 pm

Coronavirus related firings on the Score today. So far I've seen Julie DiCaro and Connor McKnight post goodbyes. Not sure who is going to take over the Bernstein/McKnight show or if Dan will just being doing it alone.
0 x
Win it for Fred

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:31 pm

UMFan83 wrote:Coronavirus related firings on the Score today. So far I've seen Julie DiCaro and Connor McKnight post goodbyes. Not sure who is going to take over the Bernstein/McKnight show or if Dan will just being doing it alone.

Add David Schuster (Bulls pre/post) and Rick Camp (producer) to the list. Score is going to be really thin on hosts. They might have 1 host per show all day. Dan MacNeil said his contract is up next Tuesday so we might end up with Bernstein, then Holmes, then Parkins, then Grobstein.
0 x
Win it for Fred

Wilson A2000
Superstar

Postby Wilson A2000 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:43 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:Coronavirus related firings on the Score today. So far I've seen Julie DiCaro and Connor McKnight post goodbyes. Not sure who is going to take over the Bernstein/McKnight show or if Dan will just being doing it alone.

Add David Schuster (Bulls pre/post) and Rick Camp (producer) to the list. Score is going to be really thin on hosts. They might have 1 host per show all day. Dan MacNeil said his contract is up next Tuesday so we might end up with Bernstein, then Holmes, then Parkins, then Grobstein.

Put Holmes and Bernstein together and combine their shows. Tough day for the Score. Schuster had been there forever and I liked Rick Camp.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:27 pm

For those that have the Athletic, how do you guys typically navigate the site? Sounds like a weird question but I signed up again because they had a 3 month trial offer, and its the same as every time I subscribe. I can never find enough good articles that interest me. But when I'm not signed up, it seems like every time I see an interesting article tweeted out, it's an Athletic article. Do you guys actively surf the site or only go to it when you come across an article link?

Edit: Also I realize that partially this is because there are absolutely no sports going on globally, but it matches my experience other times Ive subscribed.
0 x
Win it for Fred

TarzanJoeWallis
Role Player

Postby TarzanJoeWallis » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:35 pm

UMFan83 wrote:For those that have the Athletic, how do you guys typically navigate the site? Sounds like a weird question but I signed up again because they had a 3 month trial offer, and its the same as every time I subscribe. I can never find enough good articles that interest me. But when I'm not signed up, it seems like every time I see an interesting article tweeted out, it's an Athletic article. Do you guys actively surf the site or only go to it when you come across an article link?

Edit: Also I realize that partially this is because there are absolutely no sports going on globally, but it matches my experience other times Ive subscribed.

Have you noted your favorite teams and sports on there? When I get on there is national stuff, but then also a lot of Cubs, Pacers, Indy, and Chicago stories waiting for me.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:54 pm

UMFan83 wrote:For those that have the Athletic, how do you guys typically navigate the site? Sounds like a weird question but I signed up again because they had a 3 month trial offer, and its the same as every time I subscribe. I can never find enough good articles that interest me. But when I'm not signed up, it seems like every time I see an interesting article tweeted out, it's an Athletic article. Do you guys actively surf the site or only go to it when you come across an article link?

So if you only care about the local Chicago teams and not the national stories, well yeah, it becomes difficult to find good stories to read. I wish there were more articles from Keith Law on minors and draft stuff. Sahadev Sharma is really good covering the Cubs. I like reading up on other teams as well and they cover other sports pretty well. It's the best coverage for the Blackhawks and Bulls. ESPN is pretty lackluster these days...

Sometimes you'll run into a dry spell on the site, but I think it's worth it personally.
1 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:34 pm

I follow a handful of their writers on Twitter already so some interesting articles come through passively. You can also turn any section into an RSS feed, which works for my habits: https://theathletic.zendesk.com/hc/en-u ... -RSS-feed-
1 x

Return to “Other Sports”