Sports Media Thread

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Sports Media Thread

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:26 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:

hahahaha I was just coming to post the same thing
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:31 pm

It's no Tebow version of All He Does Is Win, but it's pretty good
0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:17 am

At Whiskyfest in San Francisco and I randomly saw Wright Thompson there. It took me a minute to figure out where I knew him from since I thought it was from the whisky magazine I read.

It took me w minute but I finally figured it out. It was only a short interaction but I told him I've read his stuff. He was in town for something related to his brother in law and got a pass into the event.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:25 pm

Ron Darling sucks. He says things that aren't true as though he's done research and his voice is awful. For example, he said the Cubs don't shift very much anymore even though Maddon shifted all the time at Tampa. He attributed that to organizational philosophy. As if the Cubs have never used the shift ever or something.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ye ... -probably/
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:19 pm

biittner77 wrote:Ron Darling sucks. He says things that aren't true as though he's done research and his voice is awful. For example, he said the Cubs don't shift very much anymore even though Maddon shifted all the time at Tampa. He attributed that to organizational philosophy. As if the Cubs have never used the shift ever or something.

I'm trying to figure out your point of contention with what he said...just that the Cubs used to shift, so you don't think it's due to organizational philosophy?
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:52 pm

David wrote:
biittner77 wrote:Ron Darling sucks. He says things that aren't true as though he's done research and his voice is awful. For example, he said the Cubs don't shift very much anymore even though Maddon shifted all the time at Tampa. He attributed that to organizational philosophy. As if the Cubs have never used the shift ever or something.

I'm trying to figure out your point of contention with what he said...just that the Cubs used to shift, so you don't think it's due to organizational philosophy?

That was an example. I think the Cubs don't shift as much because they have data that says it doesn't work/ hitters have adjusted. Darling made it sound like it was some sort of Ukaze that Maddon didn't agree with or grudgingly accepted. At least that's how I interpret "organizational philosophy". He didn't expand upon what he meant.

To the main point, Ron Darling doesn't have anything to say that is worth hearing. Let him broadcast Mets games or something.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:56 am

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:19 pm

https://deadspin.com/nesn-hasnt-said-an ... 1819340576

Alyssa Labrie first posted on Facebook privately over the weekend, saying New England Sports Network anchor Marc James exploded at her in a string of angry text messages after she said she didn’t want to get drinks with him. Labrie told me that after she heard from people saying it needed to be known, she made the post public. She’s since talked to reporters as well as NESN, and said that she heard back from them that the TV network was taking the claim seriously.

Labrie gave me a recap similar to what she has said in other interviews. The recent UMass Amherst graduate said she was working at a photo shoot when James approached her and said he was in the entertainment industry. Thinking he might be a good professional contact, Labrie gave him her number. Over the next few months, she never physically saw him again, but he would text her about hanging out, as well as send unsolicited photos or videos of him at work. She told me she would either say she was busy or didn’t respond. She figured he’d get the message, and she didn’t want him to potentially hurt her professional career.

“I really just hoped he would take the hint so I wouldn’t have to hurt his feelings directly,” she said, later adding, “He obviously didn’t worry about mine at all.”

The text messages are below. Labrie is in blue; James is in grey.

Check out this winner's totally believable excuse:

First of all, I can tell you that I was with a bunch of people last night watching college football, and one of the people I was with was a girl, and she mentioned ‘hey, you’re getting some text message from this girl, Alyssa’ to which I replied that I had asked her to meet up. After the girl scrolled through our previous texts, she mentioned that Alyssa was being a bitch to me, and wanted to go back and forth with her. (over text) I said to not do anything at all, and to not tell her anything. So then after seeing this article, and not finding the text message exchange on my phone, I reached out to the girl who then told me she had blocked and deleted her… (from my phone) so I had no idea. The phone was not in my hands for that period of time last night and I can guarantee you that none of those texts are on my phone. I was extremely irate when I read this, (article written by Babe) and this is definitely not me… at all, at all.

Way to call her a "bitch" in your excuse, champ.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:31 pm

all he gets is a two day suspension?

is on air talent that hard to find?
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:52 pm

Who is this guy? Should I have heard of him?
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:54 pm

biittner77 wrote:Who is this guy? Should I have heard of him?

as it states, he's an anchor on NESN...so probably not?
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:57 pm

biittner77 wrote:Who is this guy? Should I have heard of him?

Short answer is no, you should not know anything about him:

May 26, 2017 — NESN announced today that Marc James (@marcjames) will join the network as an anchor and reporter. James will start at NESN in June and initially will appear on NESN’s three sports news programs: • NESN Sports Today — every night at 10 p.m. (or immediately following Red Sox or Bruins postgame coverage) • NESN LIVE — weeknights at 5:30 p.m. • NESN Sports Update — every morning from 5 a.m. to 9 a.m. James comes to NESN from nationally syndicated CBS Sports Radio, where he served as a weekend and fill-in sports talk host for several shows, including “The Jim Rome Show.” Since 2012, he also has been a frequent contributor on the NFL Network’s “Around the League LIVE.” The western Massachusetts native has served as a sports talk radio host in several markets since 2004, including Fort Lauderdale (ESPN radio), Tampa (ESPN Radio 1040), Charlotte (CBS Radio 610 The Fan) and Atlanta (CBS Radio 92.9 The Game).
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:01 pm

Yeah, just some rando sports TV wannabe who made an ass of himself.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:25 pm

why does he type out the word quote and put the quote in quotes? what a monster
3 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:46 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Check out this winner's totally believable excuse:

First of all, I can tell you that I was with a bunch of people last night watching college football, and one of the people I was with was a girl, and she mentioned ‘hey, you’re getting some text message from this girl, Alyssa’ to which I replied that I had asked her to meet up. After the girl scrolled through our previous texts, she mentioned that Alyssa was being a bitch to me, and wanted to go back and forth with her. (over text) I said to not do anything at all, and to not tell her anything. So then after seeing this article, and not finding the text message exchange on my phone, I reached out to the girl who then told me she had blocked and deleted her… (from my phone) so I had no idea. The phone was not in my hands for that period of time last night and I can guarantee you that none of those texts are on my phone. I was extremely irate when I read this, (article written by Babe) and this is definitely not me… at all, at all.

Ok ok ok ok...lets entertain this excuse for just one second.

Why the hell did rando college football watching girl have this dude's phone? Why did she have the opportunity to have a conversation like this? Is that a thing people do? Let other people use their phone for extended periods of time? Is this not as weird to other people as it is to me?
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:52 pm

Banedon wrote:

Why the hell did rando college football watching girl have this dude's phone? Why did she have the opportunity to have a conversation like this? Is that a thing people do? Let other people use their phone for extended periods of time? Is this not as weird to other people as it is to me?

i mean, it happens from time to time. especially when people are drunk. but it's an obvious cop out and lie in this case.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:09 pm

Yeah, it's one thing if you grab someone's phone or they grab yours and send some joke text to mess around, but to carry on an entire conversation with weirdly specific personal details?

I mean, I guess kudos to him for trying to not just go with, "I GOT HACKED!!!" as an excuse.
0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:11 pm

Banedon wrote:

How did that not work?
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:00 pm

0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:32 pm

these people may be more sad and pathetic than I ever thought.

0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:42 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:these people may be more sad and pathetic than I ever thought.

FREE PFTCOMMENTER.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:38 pm

Let the Athletic backlash begin...

0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:52 pm

Having a business plan centered around accumulating newspaper writers seems about as sound as some dude in the 70's thinking his sweet collection of Pet Rocks is only going to appreciate in value.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:46 pm

1 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:54 pm

1 x

Return to “Other Sports”