Re: Sports Media Thread

Postby Banedon » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:01 pm

Better late than never I guess.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:12 pm

they actively antagonized the barstool hating portion of their audience, then pissed off the barstool adoring portion. This is a huge mess-up.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:39 pm

Nobody at ESPN has any horsefeathering clue what they're doing as they die the slowest of deaths.
1 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:46 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Nobody at ESPN has any horsefeathering clue what they're doing as they die the slowest of deaths.

Yeah it was a weird partnership from the start, especially from ESPN's side. They had to of known they were going to get blowback by doing a show with them and had to of calculated it was "worth the risk" to partner with Barstool to get their demo, so it's weird they are already pulling the plug for stuff that they should've seen coming when they initially started putting this together. But yeah ESPN is just a giant [expletive] of a company and agree they are very much on the downward trend and this whole thing with Barstool from the beginning to now is and was horsefeathering dumb.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:19 pm

more espn horsefeathers ups

0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:21 pm

It would be so ESPN to try and scramble to fix this by doing something amazingly stupid like hiring Clay Travis.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:31 pm

This all happened so quick, I didn't even know it happened originally. I really haven't paid much attention to ESPN in years though.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:00 am

You know that most of the writers at The Athletic had to be pissed, when seeing their boss make such an idiotic comment. Then he backed it up for hours, before finally apologizing and even used having had 3 beers prior to his interview, as his excuse.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:42 am

1 x

KingCubsFan
All-Star

Postby KingCubsFan » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:26 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:they actively antagonized the barstool hating portion of their audience, then pissed off the barstool adoring portion. This is a huge mess-up.

They couldn't have possibly handled this any worse. They shouldn't have agreed to include Barstool in the title of the show. The PMT guys are much bigger than Barstool and that's who they were hiring.
0 x

Chocolate Milk
5-Time All-Star

Postby Chocolate Milk » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:39 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:

Big Cat tweeted at Mooch today and he’s coming on the podcast to discuss getting fired in 11 days.

PFT and Big Cat should leave Barstool. They don’t belong there anymore. I was never really exposed to any of the Barstool horsefeathers before I started listening to PMT. I just saw PFT Commenter was doing a podcast and was curious. They are really almost a parody of the dopey Barstool shtick.

All the other Barstool people seem terrible and not funny. If I was PFT, I’d stuff Portnoy into a pillow case and throw him in the East river.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:52 am

I know nothing about Barstool. I had no idea PFTCommenter was even on there. I thought he had a fairly solid reputation? Am I wrong?
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:54 am

0 x

KingCubsFan
All-Star

Postby KingCubsFan » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:28 pm

Chocolate Milk wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

Big Cat tweeted at Mooch today and he’s coming on the podcast to discuss getting fired in 11 days.

PFT and Big Cat should leave Barstool. They don’t belong there anymore. I was never really exposed to any of the Barstool horsefeathers before I started listening to PMT. I just saw PFT Commenter was doing a podcast and was curious. They are really almost a parody of the dopey Barstool shtick.

All the other Barstool people seem terrible and not funny. If I was PFT, I’d stuff Portnoy into a pillow case and throw him in the East river.

They discussed the cancellation on PMT today. It's pretty clear they both blame Portnoy for this, and he inserted himself at the last minute to get the show renamed to "Barstool Van Talk" at the last minute. I think they'll continue to distance themselves from the rest of the company after this debacle.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:37 pm

KingCubsFan wrote:I think they'll continue to distance themselves from the rest of the company after this debacle.

Too horsefeathering late.

There's so many awful, sexist, misogynistic reasons that they should have distanced themselves from Barstool before this...but now they'll distance themselves because Portnoy screwed up their ESPN deal? horsefeathers them.
0 x

KingCubsFan
All-Star

Postby KingCubsFan » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:03 pm

Banedon wrote:
KingCubsFan wrote:I think they'll continue to distance themselves from the rest of the company after this debacle.

There's so many awful, sexist, misogynistic reasons that they should have distanced themselves from Barstool before this...but now they'll distance themselves because Portnoy screwed up their ESPN deal? horsefeathers them.

Well, I think they've already been doing it. I think this will just expedite the process.
0 x

Chocolate Milk
5-Time All-Star

Postby Chocolate Milk » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:34 pm

Banedon wrote:

What exactly did you want them to do? Barstool owns the rights to PMT. I think you could say that PFT should have never joined Barstool given their history - that's fair. I think they did distance themselves from Barstool as much as was practical given that it was a Barstool owned property. The show is literally a satire of the bro-dude sports culture.

I honestly don't really even fault ESPN here, but I do feel bad for Big Cat and PFT.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:44 pm

Like you said, PFT just never should have joined Barstool. And I don't know why Big Cat gets a pass. He's been a part of Barstool for years and has benefited largely from the culture that it endorses. I don't feel bad for either of them.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:53 pm

Banedon wrote:Like you said, PFT just never should have joined Barstool. And I don't know why Big Cat gets a pass. He's been a part of Barstool for years and has benefited largely from the culture that it endorses. I don't feel bad for either of them.

On one hand, he never should have joined. On the other hand, he was looking for his first real break into the biz as it was disintegrating. Being twitter famous and writing the occasional piece at SBNation? wasn't going to pay the bills.

But big cat is just a jock sniffing douchebro.

And even if you are doing a bit, at some point in the process, if all you do is act the douchebro to make fun of douchebros, you're being a douchebro. The comedian that plays the racist homophobe all day every day is eventually just hiding behind the label of comedian. At some point you have to come on the other side of the camera and make clear where you stand. Their audience is littered with the people they are making fun of, and those people don't view it as them being made fun of, because in their eyes they are being celebrated.
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:05 pm

AKA The South Park Conundrum
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:24 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Banedon wrote:Like you said, PFT just never should have joined Barstool. And I don't know why Big Cat gets a pass. He's been a part of Barstool for years and has benefited largely from the culture that it endorses. I don't feel bad for either of them.

On one hand, he never should have joined. On the other hand, he was looking for his first real break into the biz as it was disintegrating. Being twitter famous and writing the occasional piece at SBNation? wasn't going to pay the bills.

And even if you are doing a bit, at some point in the process, if all you do is act the douchebro to make fun of douchebros, you're being a douchebro. The comedian that plays the racist homophobe all day every day is eventually just hiding behind the label of comedian. At some point you have to come on the other side of the camera and make clear where you stand. Their audience is littered with the people they are making fun of, and those people don't view it as them being made fun of, because in their eyes they are being celebrated.

Out of completely random curiosity, how did Colbert strike the balance?
0 x
Spoiler: show

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:29 pm

Tim wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

Out of completely random curiosity, how did Colbert strike the balance?

Well, he existed in the public eye before that show went big, he did interviews all the time and the way he went about it was beyond obvious.

He also didn't work for a company that was openly exactly the same thing he was making fun of.

If Colbert was doing the Colbert Show on Fox that would have been a different thing.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:30 pm

Because he was always so absurd. There's this weird misconception that Colbert was baffling massive amounts of conservatives into thinking he was one of them, like he somehow tricked his way into something like hosting the Correspondents Dinner, and that simply wasn't the case. When you're peppering every episode with things like your obsessive hatred of bears, you're making it pretty damn obvious that the whole thing is a bit.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:33 pm

I'm a little surprised there's this much discussion about Big Cat and PFT. I've never seen anything entertaining or insightful from either of them. I'm not a podcast person though, so maybe they're audio savants?
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:38 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:I'm a little surprised there's this much discussion about Big Cat and PFT. I've never seen anything entertaining or insightful from either of them. I'm not a podcast person though, so maybe they're audio savants?

I think PFT's schtick has lost some of its luster but he's been entertaining. Big Cat, much less so.
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”