Sports Media Thread

SpongeWorthy
Superstar

Re: Sports Media Thread

Postby SpongeWorthy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:13 pm

Is their Bulls coverage good? Thinking of pulling the trigger. Friedell is terrible.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:16 pm

SpongeWorthy wrote:Is their Bulls coverage good? Thinking of pulling the trigger. Friedell is terrible.

I've only been reading up on the Cubs and Bears...honestly haven't even noticed their Bulls coverage yet. Haven't heard of any of the writers (doesn't mean they aren't good) though. Main guy seems to be a guy named Stephen Noh.
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

SpongeWorthy
Superstar

Postby SpongeWorthy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:17 pm

http://deadspin.com/espn-radio-host-rye ... 1798347475

I like Russillo but always figured he was kind of a raging alcoholic
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:11 am

0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

MarkR
Starter

Postby MarkR » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:55 am

David wrote:why on earth is this a thing

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/br ... story.html

Why do you care?
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:47 am

MarkR wrote:

Why do you care?

who do you care that i care?

i care because kaplan is terrible and in no way merits a long form article in the chicago tribune. and i posted it because that's what this thread is for.
6 x

Regular Show
Starter

Postby Regular Show » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:37 am

David wrote:
MarkR wrote:

Why do you care?

i care because kaplan is terrible and in no way merits a long form article in the chicago tribune. and i posted it because that's what this thread is for.

I agree -- Kaplan sucks. Why can't we have a decent Sports writer/TV personality here in Chicago? Sarah Spain is fine and M. Wilbon has his moments. Who am I forgetting?
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:46 am

Wilbon is horrific
Last edited by David on Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:54 pm

David wrote:
MarkR wrote:

Why do you care?

Kaplan was the leader of the Hispanic players are lazy brigade and Mike North is just a huge bigot and the Chicago media spent the past 2 days talking about how hard these 2 guys work.
3 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:44 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
David wrote:
MarkR wrote:
Why do you care?

Kaplan was the leader of the Hispanic players are lazy brigade and Mike North is just a huge bigot and the Chicago media spent the past 2 days talking about how hard these 2 guys work.

Yuuuuuppppppppp

I feel like people have totally forgotten what an horsefeathers Mike North is.
0 x

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:32 pm

I read that article about Kaplan, and agree there really wasn't a reason to write about him. Although I had no idea his son has developmental problems.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:04 pm

David wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
David wrote:

Yuuuuuppppppppp

Mike North is so bad that the afternoon sports talk radio show in Columbus makes fun of him pretty much daily.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:05 pm

Derwood wrote:
David wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:Kaplan was the leader of the Hispanic players are lazy brigade and Mike North is just a huge bigot and the Chicago media spent the past 2 days talking about how hard these 2 guys work.

Yuuuuuppppppppp

Mike North is so bad that the afternoon sports talk radio show in Columbus makes fun of him pretty much daily.

Columbus sports radio is so bad that they somehow knew Mike North was still on the air somewhere.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:11 am

David wrote:
Derwood wrote:
David wrote:
Yuuuuuppppppppp

Columbus sports radio is so bad that they somehow knew Mike North was still on the air somewhere.

More like Columbus sports radio has a host who grew up in Chicago, but sure, poop on radio you haven't heard (btw, most of it is bad, just not this show)
0 x

Duke Silver
5-Time All-Star

Postby Duke Silver » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:35 pm

0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:35 pm

Damn, these goobers trying to cover their butts via RG3 not having a job is spiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiicy as hell. Sure, THAT has nothing to do with how RG3 is unable to stay in one piece, nope, not at all.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:38 pm

Man, check this out in the Trubisky article down the page (emphasis mine):

As John Fox said this week, Mike Glennon is still the starter. But know this: The Bears wouldn’t be SKIDDISH about playing Trubisky[...}

That is a ludacris misspelling.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:42 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Man, check this out in the Trubisky article down the page (emphasis mine):

As John Fox said this week, Mike Glennon is still the starter. But know this: The Bears wouldn’t be SKIDDISH about playing Trubisky[...}

Jeez. Do they not have editors?
0 x

Duke Silver
5-Time All-Star

Postby Duke Silver » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:51 pm

David wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Man, check this out in the Trubisky article down the page (emphasis mine):

Jeez. Do they not have editors?

They were skiddish of hiring any that might cut the racism out of their articles.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:05 pm

Skiddish Bears are why they REALLY got rid of the white uniforms (yes, I know that doesn't really work because they still use the white pants, but WHATEVER).
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:08 pm

"No, there's no kind of agreement to not hire Kaep. Now we're all going to give the same reason that doesn't sound at all like a bunch of shady suspects suspiciously giving the exact same rehearsed alibi on a bad episode of Law & Order."
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:15 pm

I'm heavily biased as a Cuban because I really was not at all pleased with the Fidel Castro thing (well, hell, I deal with sulley so...), but I've never had an issue with the kneeling protest and what he was protesting over is and was absolutely a worthy cause.

On the one hand, I wouldn't want him on the Bears and hate how he plays, but he's obviously not worse than the like 90 QBs or whatever that have employment. There's no question he's being blackballed, if only passively so, for lack of a better term.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:23 pm

David wrote:I'm heavily biased as a Cuban because I really was not at all pleased with the Fidel Castro thing, but I've never had an issue with the kneeling protest and what he was protesting over is and was absolutely a worthy cause.

On the one hand, I wouldn't want him on the Bears and hate how he plays, but he's obviously not worse than the like 90 QBs or whatever that have employment. There's no question he's being blackballed, if only passively so, for lack of a better term.

Yea, I think part of the whole blackball term is a sticking point to some, as it conjures up hidden meetings with shadowy NFL owner representatives colluding together.

It certainly has hurt him. Fit has hurt him to to some extent. If a third of all teams are a bad fit offense wise and a third of all teams have superior depth at their top two spots, it leaves the question about the remaining third teams. Like if Dallas is in that latter third group, we know Kapernick is not going to be cleared by ownership. Probably the Bears too. And that has gotten it to the point for some teams that have kicked around the idea, like Baltimore, to say "let's gauge public reaction to this", which undoubtedly is hurting his chances.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:31 pm

David wrote:I'm heavily biased as a Cuban because I really was not at all pleased with the Fidel Castro thing (well, hell, I deal with sulley so...), but I've never had an issue with the kneeling protest and what he was protesting over is and was absolutely a worthy cause.

Yeah, the dude's not some kind of political savant across the board, but let's face it: the people hating on him probably don't even remember the Castro bit. It's all about how he "hates the trooooooopsflageaglecountryfreedom!!!!"

And I agree, there's no formal or even handshake agreement to not sign him; thee wasn't with Bonds, either. But these things happen pretty easily among a small group of rich people who tend to have similar mindsets.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:33 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
David wrote:I'm heavily biased as a Cuban because I really was not at all pleased with the Fidel Castro thing (well, hell, I deal with sulley so...), but I've never had an issue with the kneeling protest and what he was protesting over is and was absolutely a worthy cause.

Yeah, the dude's not some kind of political savant across the board, but let's face it: the people hating on him probably don't even remember the Castro bit. It's all about how he "hates the trooooooopsflageaglecountryfreedom!!!!"

And I agree, there's no formal or even handshake agreement to not sign him; thee wasn't with Bonds, either. But these things happen pretty easily among a small group of rich people who tend to have similar mindsets.

Yep. And I think a lot of it, if not most, is just, "This guy is not worth the PR/business headache," rather than actually being upset or disapproving of what he did. They don't want to deal with the Murica crowd just for a guy who's marginally a starter level talent, at best.
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”