Sports Media Thread

Chocolate Milk
5-Time All-Star

Re: Sports Media Thread

Postby Chocolate Milk » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:13 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
Brian707 wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if they put McNeil with Bernstein. Maybe I will go look for that chicago sports radio message board and see what they are saying.

in case you have trouble finding it because the address moved, its http://www.chicagofanatics.com

Some very weird dudes in that forum.
0 x

wolf stansson
Superstar

Postby wolf stansson » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:21 pm

Chocolate Milk wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:
Brian707 wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if they put McNeil with Bernstein. Maybe I will go look for that chicago sports radio message board and see what they are saying.

in case you have trouble finding it because the address moved, its http://www.chicagofanatics.com

Extremely bizarre. Really great.
0 x

Chocolate Milk
5-Time All-Star

Postby Chocolate Milk » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:41 pm

wolf stansson wrote:
Chocolate Milk wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

To be very clear, I wish all race hucksters and checkmark liberals the slowest, most painful descents into eventual suicide. Goff is just one of millions, and I sincerely hope today was the first step towards that eventual bottom.

Just a regular guy here - totally normal!
0 x

wolf stansson
Superstar

Postby wolf stansson » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:49 pm

I like how how they all only compare Jason Goff to Jonathan Hood and Laurence Holmes like old white guys talking QB's or white NBA players.

Really feeling my age today. If this were 5-10 years ago, I would've spent hours irony trolling that site.
0 x

r_mack
Role Player

Postby r_mack » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:37 pm

Spiegel and Parkins seemed to be coming around and it was much better than Kapman and Carmen and Jurko. Parkins and Mac sounds terrible.
0 x

CoolHandLuke
All-Star

Postby CoolHandLuke » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:05 am

Sucks. I really liked Goff. And Speigel.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:48 pm

wolf stansson wrote:I like how how they all only compare Jason Goff to Jonathan Hood and Laurence Holmes like old white guys talking QB's or white NBA players.

Really feeling my age today. If this were 5-10 years ago, I would've spent hours irony trolling that site.

Any site that spends that much time on a daily basis breaking down intricacies of each day's sports radio programming is bound to be full of some really weird cats. That site has always been extremely bizarre. Good to have when the big events go down though.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:12 pm

McKnight/Bernstein and Parkins/McNeil confirmed
Last edited by David on Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:26 pm

0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:17 pm

Banedon wrote:
wolf stansson wrote:I like how how they all only compare Jason Goff to Jonathan Hood and Laurence Holmes like old white guys talking QB's or white NBA players.

Any site that spends that much time on a daily basis breaking down intricacies of each day's sports radio programming is bound to be full of some really weird cats. That site has always been extremely bizarre. Good to have when the big events go down though.

I came across their 2016 WS thread and skipped to the 8th inning of Game 7, quite the read.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:51 pm

Brian707 wrote:
Banedon wrote:

I came across their 2016 WS thread and skipped to the 8th inning of Game 7, quite the read.

The board seems pretty Sox fan heavy as a result of them carrying the Sox games for so long, so I'm guessing it reads like a WSI thread.
0 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:25 pm

I'm glad I'll be able to get my Canadian fishing reports again.

Can't wait for Mike North or Murph to come back. Although those bridges appear to be far more burnt.
0 x
http://www.sisterdistrict.com

Go from Red to Blue.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:21 pm

UK wrote:Can't wait for Mike North or Murph to come back. Although those bridges appear to be far more burnt.

hopeyourenotserious.gif
0 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:23 pm

Derwood wrote:
UK wrote:Can't wait for Mike North or Murph to come back. Although those bridges appear to be far more burnt.

hopeyourenotserious.gif

Go back to reading your vampire books.
0 x
http://www.sisterdistrict.com

Go from Red to Blue.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:37 pm

UK wrote:
Derwood wrote:

hopeyourenotserious.gif

Go back to reading your vampire books.

My what now?
0 x

Thurman Merman
Starter

Postby Thurman Merman » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:23 pm

So if I heard right, there's a new guy heading the score who is friends with McNeil so he basically shook everything up just to get him back in the afternoon slot? That seems like a brilliant idea.
0 x

r_mack
Role Player

Postby r_mack » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:49 pm

Thurman Merman wrote:So if I heard right, there's a new guy heading the score who is friends with McNeil so he basically shook everything up just to get him back in the afternoon slot? That seems like a brilliant idea.

The Afternoon slot was doing awful against Waddle & Silvy, can't imagine this changes anything though. No clue why they broke up Spiegel & Parkins though. They were killing it against Kapman and Carmen & Jurko. I wonder if they could have held their own against Waddle & Silvy with more time together.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:50 pm

Thurman Merman wrote:So if I heard right, there's a new guy heading the score who is friends with McNeil so he basically shook everything up just to get him back in the afternoon slot? That seems like a brilliant idea.

Jimmy decastro. Longtime Chicago radio executive.
0 x

Thurman Merman
Starter

Postby Thurman Merman » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:01 am

r_mack wrote:

The Afternoon slot was doing awful against Waddle & Silvy, can't imagine this changes anything though. No clue why they broke up Spiegel & Parkins though. They were killing it against Kapman and Carmen & Jurko. I wonder if they could have held their own against Waddle & Silvy with more time together.

If B and G were getting crushed then I suppose this makes a bit more sense. Still doesn't mean I'm not switching over to npr full time.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:05 am

If it was Mac that orchestrated this, I'm surprised that Spiegel got screwed over...I thought they got along extremely well when they were partners. I guess things could've been different behind the scenes.
0 x

ZMovieman
Starter
Location: What Should Be Brewers Country, If Brewers Fans Existed

Postby ZMovieman » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:17 pm

To the surprise of no one, looks like sticking to sports was a factor. Also love the assertion that they could occasionally pair Goff with Holmes at night, because we can’t be having our diversity shown anywhere but nights and weekends.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/ct-spt-wscr-score-dan-mcneil-diversity-20180315-story,amp.html?__twitter_impression=true
0 x

Thurman Merman
Starter

Postby Thurman Merman » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:03 am

ZMovieman wrote:To the surprise of no one, looks like sticking to sports was a factor. Also love the assertion that they could occasionally pair Goff with Holmes at night, because we can’t be having our diversity shown anywhere but nights and weekends.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/ct-spt-wscr-score-dan-mcneil-diversity-20180315-story,amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

The best part of b and g was when they would diverge from sports. When they branched out, I learned awesome things like diacovering my new favorite spicy condiment sambal olek. I'm not sure how anyone could actually listen to 5 hours straight of sports talk.
0 x

wolf stansson
Superstar

Postby wolf stansson » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:49 pm

The way everyone's media habits are changing make AM radio an already dead industry. WSCR pivoted to cater to the people who have already tapped out of exploring new ways to consume their media. They'll run on the fumes of their local audience that just wants to hear a voice talking about the only teams they care about without infringing on their personal grievance politics until those people die out and it'll be gone.

A guy like Jason Goff who is still relatively young and has to survive in the media industry beyond the next 5-10 years, unlike a fossil like Dan McNeil, is better off in the long run regrouping and finding a more forward-positioned niche. Aggrieved conservatives love to point out ESPN's declining ratings and blame Jemele Hill or Dan Le Batard talking about social issues within sports or how NFL ratings are declining because of player activism, and that might play a very small role, but really, people are just finding different things to care about and different ways to consume it.
2 x

Wilson A2000
5-Time All-Star

Postby Wilson A2000 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:06 am

wolf stansson wrote:
Chocolate Milk wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

They have a 612 page thread devoted to Julie, the update anchor and weekend host. Odd site, but they still have some interesting posters there.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:35 pm

Wilson A2000 wrote:
wolf stansson wrote:
Chocolate Milk wrote:Some very weird dudes in that forum.

They have a 612 page thread devoted to Julie, the update anchor and weekend host. Odd site, but they still have some interesting posters there.

Julie Dicaro got a ton of attention over her tweets RE: the Patrick Kane allegations, among other things. Not at all surprised she'd....stir conversation there.
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”