New Benny, and Other changes (Bulls offseason)

davell
Hall of Fame

Re: New Benny, and Other changes (Bulls offseason)

Postby davell » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:07 am

Cubbie Swagger wrote:
David wrote:this is a weird team... butler is very very good, wade has been good up until now, lopez is good, rondo was good last year, but none of them really fit basketball wise, especially with what the coach supposedly wants to do. i have no idea what to expect. i could see an absolute disaster and i could see like 50 wins.

mcdermott and mirotic have shown flashes of being solid nba rotational players and at other times have looked awful...hopefully they keep getting better and it's more of the former.

Yeah... what's weird is that for the past few years, the Bulls have been this team of misfits that were good individually, but didn't fit together. We rid ourselves of Rose, Noah, and Gasol... and then go right back to making the team awkward again. I guess it should be no surprise.

I'm honestly super excited about the move. Like I said before, I just really didn't want to watch the Bulls tank. This might be a total disaster, but I am anxious to watch and find out. If we can be at least kinda good, I'll be happy.

Wade can opt out after this year too. Max entertainment for sure this season at least.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Cubbie Swagger
All-Star

Postby Cubbie Swagger » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:09 am

davell wrote:Considering we can go into next year without Rondo or Wade, I can't argue that.

How do we go into next year without Wade? I didn't here anything about an opt-out. I heard 2 for 47.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:12 am

Cubbie Swagger wrote:
davell wrote:Considering we can go into next year without Rondo or Wade, I can't argue that.

How do we go into next year without Wade? I didn't here anything about an opt-out. I heard 2 for 47.

2nd year is a player option.
1 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Cubbie Swagger
All-Star

Postby Cubbie Swagger » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:17 am

davell wrote:
Cubbie Swagger wrote:

Well, in that case... even better. There's like no risk here. Would you guys really have rather used the cap space on Calderon and Dunleavy? Let's roll the dice for a year and see what happens.
0 x

Ryne Ween
All-Star

Postby Ryne Ween » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:18 am

davell wrote:
Ryne Ween wrote:
davell wrote:
We obviously disagree on the rebuild. This'll be interesting, no doubt. And yeah, I'm not sure whether this is a 30 win team or a 50 win team. If it misses completely, we'll see a rebuild though.

We have discussed this I think before but a rebuild doesn't really exist in the NBA. The better and more accurate way to say "rebuild" in the current NBA is "not have multiple bad, expensive long term contracts on the books" and in the sense the Bulls are rebuilding because we don't have any of those.

Considering we can go into next year without Rondo or Wade, I can't argue that. But a rebuild, in my mind, constitutes adding the picks and young guys obviously. Let's face it, if those guys aren't here next season, its likely Jimmy won't be either.

Extremely wide range of outcomes now, which makes for entertainment.

As long as Wade has his usual injuries and plays 65 or so games and is healthy for the playoffs I think we are in great shape moving forward. Likely Wade will have a good year, start the all star game etc. I watched the heats playoff games this past year and Wade was a beast with a less talented group than he will have with us. We should finish in the top 3 of the East and win one or two playoff series.

Rondo either plays well and we re-roll with him or he holds the ball for 22 seconds a possession and we dump him.

Let's say rondo plays well and we reroll. We have a max available for a big man. If rondo sucks we have two maxes assuming the cap goes up as expected.

We will be a major destination for FAs. Wade basically ensures that. He's a respected guy in the league. His signing here validates our program and gives insight into league wide esteem for Butler.

Basically the only thing not to love about this is that our FO is a bunch of turds who legitimately set out to go young with year and ended up signging Rondo and Wade. That just shows they are ridiculous and had no plan.

Other than that there are no negatives here. To be here today, compared to thinking we were going to trade Butler for the 3 pick in a horsefeathers draft three weeks ago; its a pretty good place to be.
3 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:25 am

Yeah, keeping Wade happy and healthy is the key for me. He can actually help bring guys here.
0 x

Ryne Ween
All-Star

Postby Ryne Ween » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:27 am

davell wrote:Yeah, keeping Wade happy and healthy is the key for me. He can actually help bring guys here.

Wade is arguably the best GM in NBA history. It's him or Draymond Green.
0 x

Cubbie Swagger
All-Star

Postby Cubbie Swagger » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:34 am

KCJ makes a good point that the Bulls will probably go with Mirotic as the starting 4, due to the desperate need for a perimeter shooter in that group.
0 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:40 am

Brian wrote:I'm going to be surprised if I watch over 48 total minutes of basketball next season.

The Bulls are far more interesting to me now than they ever were last year and arguably more than at any time since Rose's knee exploded.
3 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

Cubbie Swagger
All-Star

Postby Cubbie Swagger » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:41 am

Andy wrote:
Brian wrote:I'm going to be surprised if I watch over 48 total minutes of basketball next season.

The Bulls are far more interesting to me now than they ever were last year and arguably more than at any time since Rose's knee exploded.

This.
0 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:42 am

And I say that as someone with absolutely no love lost for either Rondo or Wade
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:03 am

the first bulls/knicks game is going to be absolutely bizarre
2 x

Cubbie Swagger
All-Star

Postby Cubbie Swagger » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:09 am

I've been really concerned about Rondo's ability to play for Hoiberg, but Rondo tends to be the type of guy that does well when he is in a good situation and things are going his way. He just doesn't respond to adversity very well.

Hoiberg will definitely have his hands full, though. Not only does he have to deal with Rondo, but also Butler's emergence as a leader, Wade's living legend status, and the development of the young guys. And finding a way for such an odd assortment of players to play together.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:06 am

0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:13 am

I think there's a fascinating Stockholm Syndrome-thing going on in this thread.
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:17 am

i still like simmons (on twitter) more than many, but he can be such a gd idiot

0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:22 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:I think there's a fascinating Stockholm Syndrome-thing going on in this thread.

You also think Butler is "really damn expensive" and were cool with trading him for that Minnesota package, soooo....
1 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:24 am

So what?
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:33 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:So what?

so those are really bad takes :dontknow:

like really, really bad...like butler being overly expensive is the opposite of true. it is so wrong that it makes me think your opinions on this are about as meaningful as your opinions on baseball players (i'm sorta kidding)
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:04 am

It is literally impossible for me to overstate how much I do not care how "meaningful" you think my opinions are.

The Bulls are goofily flailing, and yeah, it's fun on a freakshow level, but it's kinda ridiculous how they've so readily flown in the face of their own stated intentions AND of the dumbass coach they have. My thoughts on Butler have nothing to do with how this is a pretty hilarious way to not create a viable NBA team in 2016, not try to play to the supposed strengths of your coach, and dumpster diving for old timey marquee names just to try and stir up the local yokels.
0 x

Sosa21MVP
5-Time All-Star

Postby Sosa21MVP » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:02 am

Ryne Ween wrote:We will be a major destination for FAs. Wade basically ensures that. He's a respected guy in the league. His signing here validates our program and gives insight into league wide esteem for Butler.

Yeah, totally. :-k
0 x

tawfiqmp
Role Player

Postby tawfiqmp » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:11 am

Cubbie Swagger wrote:
davell wrote:
Cubbie Swagger wrote:How do we go into next year without Wade? I didn't here anything about an opt-out. I heard 2 for 47.

Well, in that case... even better. There's like no risk here. Would you guys really have rather used the cap space on Calderon and Dunleavy? Let's roll the dice for a year and see what happens.

I'd rather tank and have a plan
0 x

MarkR
Starter

Postby MarkR » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:04 am

I'm not sure how having three offensive players who need to have the ball in their hands to be most successful is a recipe for success. I think Niko's gonna be a stud this year being the only guy on this team who can shoot a 3 consistently, but it will be weird to watch them try to gel. Teams might play strictly zone against this team of great shooters.
0 x

bcl412
Superstar

Postby bcl412 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:25 am

MarkR wrote:I'm not sure how having three offensive players who need to have the ball in their hands to be most successful is a recipe for success. I think Niko's gonna be a stud this year being the only guy on this team who can shoot a 3 consistently, but it will be weird to watch them try to gel. Teams might play strictly zone against this team of great shooters.

McDermott can shoot a little
0 x

muntjack
All-Star

Postby muntjack » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:50 am

So Butler and Wade are going to take turns showing off their fadeaways, leaving Rondo looking for Doug, Niko and Taj for his assists.

Defensively, Rolo, Taj and Jimmy are it. Everyone else is quite terrible. I don't see this going well.
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”