soccer soccer soccer

wolf stansson
Superstar

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby wolf stansson » Mon May 21, 2018 3:45 pm

Ty Adams is upgrading Red Bulls.
https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/2018/ ... dams-usmnt

I bet he'll stick with Leipzig. There's no reason he wouldn't get playing time with Europa League and the DFB Pokal. He could break into that lineup.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon May 21, 2018 4:09 pm

wolf stansson wrote:Ty Adams is upgrading Red Bulls.
https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/2018/ ... dams-usmnt

I bet he'll stick with Leipzig. There's no reason he wouldn't get playing time with Europa League and the DFB Pokal. He could break into that lineup.

Hopefully the knock he got last night isn't anything serious.

As an aside, that RBNY/Atlanta game was crazy. It had a goal and a red card both removed by video review, a soft penalty, BWP crushing Atlanta's spirits with two headers in 5 minutes, an actual red card, and 12 minutes of 2nd half stoppage time since they needed to stretcher off a RBNY player who hurt his head/neck by chesting a ball that was 18 inches off the ground.
0 x

wolf stansson
Superstar

Postby wolf stansson » Tue May 22, 2018 1:25 pm

Obviously it's misleading since only one of these guys has actually broken through, but it's very cool to have a roster come out with an average age below 23 from clubs like Dortmund, Chelsea, Man City, Man U, Benfica, PSG, etc. That's never happened at this volume for the US.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sat May 26, 2018 7:40 pm

shoutout to sergio ramos goonery for depriving us of 90 minutes of salah in the final, hopefully he’s okay for the world cup
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Sat May 26, 2018 7:50 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:shoutout to sergio ramos goonery for depriving us of 90 minutes of salah in the final, hopefully he’s okay for the world cup

Absolute [expletive]. horsefeathers Ramos.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Sat May 26, 2018 8:00 pm

Wow. What an all time boner on the biggest stage

Edit: and Liverpool ties it up!
0 x
Win it for Fred

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Sat May 26, 2018 8:10 pm

Bale JFC
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sat May 26, 2018 8:11 pm

what did i just see
0 x

SpongeWorthy
Superstar

Postby SpongeWorthy » Sat May 26, 2018 8:13 pm

Literally nothing bad ever happens to real madrid
0 x

bcl412
Superstar

Postby bcl412 » Sat May 26, 2018 8:14 pm

Why are there Real Madrid fans crying after every goal? Don’t they win everything all the time?
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Sat May 26, 2018 8:15 pm

0 x
Win it for Fred

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Sat May 26, 2018 8:28 pm

Wow
0 x
Win it for Fred

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sat May 26, 2018 8:30 pm

honestly worried karius will be a danger to himself tonight
0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Sat May 26, 2018 9:28 pm

Guys, let’s focus on what really matters from this game.

Spurs will be in Pot 2 in the draw next year!
0 x
In Theo we trust.

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon May 28, 2018 10:26 pm

weah, pulisic, and sargent starting in this friendly

0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue May 29, 2018 12:27 am

Random, probably uneducated thoughts, from back to front:

- can we really not do better than Alex Bono, even for a youth movement? He has nothing to do in this game but I’ve never been all that impressed

- Palmer-Brown and Lichaj have been fine, Zimmerman looks much more refined and it’s not hard to see 4 years of play making him a CB contender for ‘22. Similarly, Robinson had a nice assist and generally looked the part, which is exciting considering Villafana is the closest thing to a consistent LB at the moment.

- McKinnie is gonna be quite the enforcer some day but the newborn puppy enthusiasm/sloppiness that a lot of these young guys have results in a lot of dangerous tackles in his role. He also has some stiffer competition than other spots with Acosta and Roldan in the pool.

- Rubin had a couple moments of attacking flair but nothing super noteworthy.

- Weah might end up being a bigger star than Pulisic(not a better player, just more famous) because he’s gonna get a lot of goals in his career. Still has that 18 year old sloppiness but the talent, physical skills, and daring are all there.

- Pulisic has been oddly quiet, he’s kickstarted several attacks but otherwise hasn’t really imposed his will like you might hope against a Bolivia B/C squad.

- If you showed me Josh Sargent’s picture I would’ve bet $100 his last name was Rapaport. His goal was a huge blunder by the keeper but still well taken.
1 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Tue May 29, 2018 1:42 pm

I just ditched Directtv and no longer have cable. What's my best best for streaming the world cup?
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue May 29, 2018 2:02 pm

biittner77 wrote:I just ditched Directtv and no longer have cable. What's my best best for streaming the world cup?

Lots of games will be on Fox so if you have antenna reception you'll get a decent number of games that way. Outside of that, a trial/one month of any of the streaming services that offer FS1 would be your best bet. I believe the most economical would be Sling's Blue plan, $25/month: https://sling.com

Fubo TV might also be an option: https://www.fubo.tv/lp/World-Cup/

Here's the TV schedule: http://worldsoccertalk.com/world-cup-tv-schedule/
0 x

wolf stansson
Superstar

Postby wolf stansson » Tue May 29, 2018 2:23 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:- can we really not do better than Alex Bono, even for a youth movement? He has nothing to do in this game but I’ve never been all that impressed

Yeah. The MLS guys are better. Steffen, Gonzalez. They're both a little dinged and in the middle of their seasons as starters.

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:- McKinnie is gonna be quite the enforcer some day but the newborn puppy enthusiasm/sloppiness that a lot of these young guys have results in a lot of dangerous tackles in his role.

I'm so excited about him. He's so good. I think once he gets a couple years of savvy and experience under his belt he could be special. At this rate, he'll have 4 years starting for one of the biggest clubs in Germany and regular champions league appearances under his belt by the time he's Kellyn Acosta's age.

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:- Weah might end up being a bigger star than Pulisic(not a better player, just more famous) because he’s gonna get a lot of goals in his career. Still has that 18 year old sloppiness but the talent, physical skills, and daring are all there.

People are really excited about Sargent and have been for a while, and he could end up being really, really good, but I'm with you. Weah is electric. His club situation is going to be tough to navigate but hopefully his name and talent get him a real shot to start wherever he ends up going out on loan.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue May 29, 2018 2:30 pm

wolf stansson wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:- McKennie is gonna be quite the enforcer some day but the newborn puppy enthusiasm/sloppiness that a lot of these young guys have results in a lot of dangerous tackles in his role.

I'm so excited about him. He's so good. I think once he gets a couple years of savvy and experience under his belt he could be special. At this rate, he'll have 4 years starting for one of the biggest clubs in Germany and regular champions league appearances under his belt by the time he's Kellyn Acosta's age.

Admittedly this is where my soccer-watching abilities let me down when it comes to evaluating players, so it's likely I miss a lot of nuance with guys in a withdrawn midfield role. Just watching that game though I winced at McKennie making about a half dozen tackles that were probably cardable offenses. Like you say though, a big part of that is just developing the savvy to snuff out attacks in a less dangerous way, and if he's getting regular run at Schalke then that's more than enough validation for me.
0 x

wolf stansson
Superstar

Postby wolf stansson » Tue May 29, 2018 5:57 pm

I don't think you were off at all. He was borderline reckless more than a couple of times and could've been exploited by a better team. I just think it's inexperience, exuberance, and positioning. All things he can improve. People rave about his personality and leadership intangibles. I also really enjoy that he, Weah, and some of the other young guys seem like they have fun personalities.
0 x

wolf stansson
Superstar

Postby wolf stansson » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:52 pm

It's stupid to draw many conclusions from these Sarachan-lead friendlies, but that Ireland game sucked. Trapp has never done anything for me as an international, Hamid was trash and so was CCV.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:12 pm

wolf stansson wrote:It's stupid to draw many conclusions from these Sarachan-lead friendlies, but that Ireland game sucked. Trapp has never done anything for me as an international, Hamid was trash and so was CCV.

You mean it was bad that Ted Beneke ran our backline ragged?
0 x

wolf stansson
Superstar

Postby wolf stansson » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:27 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
wolf stansson wrote:It's stupid to draw many conclusions from these Sarachan-lead friendlies, but that Ireland game sucked. Trapp has never done anything for me as an international, Hamid was trash and so was CCV.

You mean it was bad that Ted Beneke ran our backline ragged?

What a flawless joke for such a small audience.
0 x

wolf stansson
Superstar

Postby wolf stansson » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:20 pm

The Ringer did a behind the scenes about us failing to qualify for Russia.
https://www.theringer.com/2018/6/5/1742 ... ruce-arena

Some interesting stuff from obviously off the record players.

Cameron’s anger was just one example of tension inside the U.S. locker room. According to several close observers, the environment around the team during the past few years could be “toxic” at times, a lingering aftereffect of the inconsistent and culture-degrading management style of Arena’s predecessor, Jürgen Klinsmann, who had been fired one year before. Arena had labored to rebuild team chemistry, but that had proved to be more challenging than the veteran coach had expected.

Michael Bradley had long known that the team’s fragile identity could derail qualification. Moving around the room, the captain and central midfielder tried to rally his teammates, beseeching them to raise their collective games. But he was also one of the most polarizing figures in the fractured dressing room: His massive seven-figure MLS salary and sometimes overbearing leadership style grated on teammates. Although Bradley knew that all of their legacies were on the line, he was an imperfect messenger.

I will always love Clint Dempsey.
A few weeks before a friendly with Chile in January 2015, veterans Michael Bradley and Clint Dempsey had a conversation about the state of the team. Dempsey, a quiet Texan who was the team’s captain, led with his play on the field, not with his words. When Gulati reached out in 2010, asking him to discuss the state of the team under Bob Bradley, he never picked up the phone or returned the calls.

Now, posed with a question about what should happen with Klinsmann, Dempsey wanted no part of it. “I wouldn’t have done this to your father, and I’m not doing this now,” he told Bradley, according to multiple sources within the team. “I just want to score goals and go fishing.”
1 x

Return to “Other Sports”