soccer soccer soccer

wolf stansson
Superstar

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby wolf stansson » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:43 pm

It wasn't widely publicized, so I don't know if you guys saw this, but the Confed Cup is dead, which makes the Gold Cup fairly pointless again, and prevents the US/Mexico from getting a big tourney rep before the World Cup.

So since the Copa Centenario made a bajillion dollars, we're going to make it a regular thing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/26/spor ... mebol.html
Spoiler: show
The offer, a package that includes almost $200 million in guarantees to the invited teams and their governing bodies, was made Tuesday in a letter from U.S. Soccer’s president, Carlos Cordeiro, to his counterparts at the 10 South American federations. For the past year, soccer officials across the Americas have held discussions about creating a quadrennial tournament involving national teams from both hemispheres, but with no agreement in sight, U.S. Soccer, eager to fill a gap in the global soccer calendar and bearing an enticing nine-figure offer, is now proposing to establish its own.

In the letter, Cordeiro said U.S. Soccer was offering to underwrite the new event and guarantee each nation — and both confederations — millions of dollars in appearance fees, subsidized travel and bonuses for each point earned. The champions could take home a prize of more than $11 million. Cordeiro has invited the South Americans to a meeting to discuss the proposal next week in Miami.

The proposed 16-team tournament would resemble, in structure though most likely not in name, the 2016 Copa América Centenario. That tournament, a relocated version of the South American championship — expanded to celebrate the event’s 100th anniversary — brought the 10 members of the South American confederation, Conmebol, to the United States for a month to face off not only against one another, but also a half-dozen opponents from Concacaf, the regional confederation made up of North and Central America and the Caribbean.

Concurrent with the Euros? Hell yeah. Shoot that horsefeathers directly into my eyeballs.
0 x

shnsajax
Superstar

Postby shnsajax » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:13 pm

wolf stansson wrote:It wasn't widely publicized, so I don't know if you guys saw this, but the Confed Cup is dead, which makes the Gold Cup fairly pointless again, and prevents the US/Mexico from getting a big tourney rep before the World Cup.

So since the Copa Centenario made a bajillion dollars, we're going to make it a regular thing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/26/spor ... mebol.html
Spoiler: show
The offer, a package that includes almost $200 million in guarantees to the invited teams and their governing bodies, was made Tuesday in a letter from U.S. Soccer’s president, Carlos Cordeiro, to his counterparts at the 10 South American federations. For the past year, soccer officials across the Americas have held discussions about creating a quadrennial tournament involving national teams from both hemispheres, but with no agreement in sight, U.S. Soccer, eager to fill a gap in the global soccer calendar and bearing an enticing nine-figure offer, is now proposing to establish its own.

In the letter, Cordeiro said U.S. Soccer was offering to underwrite the new event and guarantee each nation — and both confederations — millions of dollars in appearance fees, subsidized travel and bonuses for each point earned. The champions could take home a prize of more than $11 million. Cordeiro has invited the South Americans to a meeting to discuss the proposal next week in Miami.

The proposed 16-team tournament would resemble, in structure though most likely not in name, the 2016 Copa América Centenario. That tournament, a relocated version of the South American championship — expanded to celebrate the event’s 100th anniversary — brought the 10 members of the South American confederation, Conmebol, to the United States for a month to face off not only against one another, but also a half-dozen opponents from Concacaf, the regional confederation made up of North and Central America and the Caribbean.

Concurrent with the Euros? Hell yeah. Shoot that horsefeathers directly into my eyeballs.

Can we make some sort of stupid Nations League thing with Comebol?
0 x

shnsajax
Superstar

Postby shnsajax » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:15 pm

VAR was awesome yesterday, VAR was stupid today.

What are the thoughts on Efrain Alvarez, can we flip him back to the US?
0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:40 am

shnsajax wrote:VAR was awesome yesterday, VAR was stupid today.

Because you disagreed with the call or because you wanted ManU to lose?

I thought they got the call right so I was fine with it. Plus it gives Spurs another potential winnable tie in the quarters. Not that ManU is a guaranteed win but I’d rather play them than PSG. Hoping for Porto/ManU/Ajax in the quarters. Would be nice if Lyon could somehow upset Barcelona next week but I’m not counting on it.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

wolf stansson
Superstar

Postby wolf stansson » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:40 pm

Lots of good things going on for Americans. Tyler Adams is dominating bundesliga midfields, pulisic is undeniable at the moment, and Jordan Morris comes back from injury and looks like the player we hoped he could become.
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:30 pm

wolf stansson wrote:Lots of good things going on for Americans. Tyler Adams is dominating bundesliga midfields, pulisic is undeniable at the moment, and Jordan Morris comes back from injury and looks like the player we hoped he could become.

This could be a fun gold cup - at least its real games. Has Jordan Morris done anything since college?
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:42 pm

stitchface wrote:
wolf stansson wrote:Lots of good things going on for Americans. Tyler Adams is dominating bundesliga midfields, pulisic is undeniable at the moment, and Jordan Morris comes back from injury and looks like the player we hoped he could become.

This could be a fun gold cup - at least its real games. Has Jordan Morris done anything since college?

3 goals and an assist in the first 3 games of the MLS season. He's always going to be a bit of a blunt instrument at the international level, but he's gotta be the top candidate for the RW spot right now, especially with Pulisic already being penciled in the middle.
0 x

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:51 am

That's about what I'd expect for a Zardes USMNT goal.
0 x
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:20 am

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
stitchface wrote:

3 goals and an assist in the first 3 games of the MLS season. He's always going to be a bit of a blunt instrument at the international level, but he's gotta be the top candidate for the RW spot right now, especially with Pulisic already being penciled in the middle.

every time I've seen him play has been like tonight. they looked like my daughter's team - dominant in midfield but toothless in attack
0 x

shnsajax
Superstar

Postby shnsajax » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:50 am

soccer10k wrote:
shnsajax wrote:VAR was awesome yesterday, VAR was stupid today.

Because you disagreed with the call or because you wanted ManU to lose?

I thought they got the call right so I was fine with it. Plus it gives Spurs another potential winnable tie in the quarters. Not that ManU is a guaranteed win but I’d rather play them than PSG. Hoping for Porto/ManU/Ajax in the quarters. Would be nice if Lyon could somehow upset Barcelona next week but I’m not counting on it.

It was the right call, just wanted ManU to lose and keep Mbappe in the tournament.
0 x

wolf stansson
Superstar

Postby wolf stansson » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:28 pm

Re: The MNT, it's worth keeping in mind that was the first game with close to an A squad, and Berhalter is doing a lot of very progressive/experimental stuff tactically. It's not all going to work, especially without a longer camp in the lead up. The Gold Cup this summer is going to be very interesting and the first chance they have to put it all together.

Hard to be negative about starting out with three wins and three clean sheets.
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:09 pm

wolf stansson wrote:Re: The MNT, it's worth keeping in mind that was the first game with close to an A squad, and Berhalter is doing a lot of very progressive/experimental stuff tactically. It's not all going to work, especially without a longer camp in the lead up. The Gold Cup this summer is going to be very interesting and the first chance they have to put it all together.

Hard to be negative about starting out with three wins and three clean sheets.

for sure, didn't really mean to be negative - at least they were dominant in midfield and not just playing defense the whole game.
0 x

shnsajax
Superstar

Postby shnsajax » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:57 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:43 pm

Interesting news regarding the Chicago Fire:

0 x
Win it for Fred

wolf stansson
Superstar

Postby wolf stansson » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:57 pm

Fix Chicago and Boston and MLS would be better off than anything that expansion could bring them.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:40 pm

good news, all your Cubs gear is now soccer gear too

1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:59 pm

Just saw this Fire news since I don't come in this thread terribly often. Love the stadium buyout, not a fan at all of changing the name though.

I'm pretty skeptical that logo is legit.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:29 pm

I wonder what will happen the SeatGeek Stadium (Toyota Park) after the Fire move. Town is still in a ton of debt and its probably not a great concert venue. Would they just tear it down? It's a shame because it is a pretty nice stadium, just horribly located.
0 x
Win it for Fred

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:36 pm

UMFan83 wrote:I wonder what will happen the SeatGeek Stadium (Toyota Park) after the Fire move. Town is still in a ton of debt and its probably not a great concert venue. Would they just tear it down? It's a shame because it is a pretty nice stadium, just horribly located.

The rumor is that the team/league would help retire a big chunk of the debt and the stadium would become a concert venue. Said rumors also mentioned the city was pretty happy with the proposed outcome, for whatever that's worth.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:44 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:I wonder what will happen the SeatGeek Stadium (Toyota Park) after the Fire move. Town is still in a ton of debt and its probably not a great concert venue. Would they just tear it down? It's a shame because it is a pretty nice stadium, just horribly located.

The rumor is that the team/league would help retire a big chunk of the debt and the stadium would become a concert venue. Said rumors also mentioned the city was pretty happy with the proposed outcome, for whatever that's worth.

Not a bad plan though I'm sure Tinley Park wouldn't be all that thrilled.
0 x
Win it for Fred

shnsajax
Superstar

Postby shnsajax » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:54 am

Ajax!!!
0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:35 am

shnsajax wrote:Ajax!!!

The semi with Spurs should be a fun one. Ajax is legit. Beat Real and Juve on the road plus tied at Bayern. There are definitely going to be a bunch of goals scored in that tie.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:24 pm

Weston McKennie is back - thought he was out longer. Schalke essentially ends Bundesliga race. Pulisic gets on with 13 minutes left and his team down two goals and two players - that move can't happen soon enough.
0 x

wvcbxl
5-Time All-Star

Postby wvcbxl » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:20 pm

soccer10k wrote:
shnsajax wrote:Ajax!!!

The semi with Spurs should be a fun one. Ajax is legit. Beat Real and Juve on the road plus tied at Bayern. There are definitely going to be a bunch of goals scored in that tie.

They are 8-)
A goal after 15 minutes already.
0 x
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits. - Satchel Paige.

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Wed May 01, 2019 8:55 pm

Messi
1 x

Return to “Other Sports”