soccer soccer soccer

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:06 pm

stitchface wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
stitchface wrote:Is there a decent MLS game on nationally (ESPN?) that I can watch. Watched some lower level Premier League this weekend and would be curious to compare.

Only national game today is Galaxy/San Jose on TUDN and (for some reason) Twitter. The Galaxy have been on a nice run even without Chicharito, but San Jose is, uh, well they did this on Thursday:

If you have ESPN+(or were considering it with the Bundesliga going there), Sporting KC/Minnesota are both solid MLS teams, and Portland/LAFC would be a marquee matchup if both teams weren’t ravaged by injuries.

What's TUDN?

Univision Sports, essentially, at least as far as I can tell. If you have UniMas that game will be there as well.
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:13 pm

I think we may get Earthquakes games locally anyway - hoping soccer10k would chime in. I didn't know the Bundesliga was moving to ESPN+. That sucks. I may have to check it out.

Thanks for the input!
0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:39 pm

stitchface wrote:Is there a decent MLS game on nationally (ESPN?) that I can watch. Watched some lower level Premier League this weekend and would be curious to compare.

So you watched the Spurs game this morning then?

As for the MLS, I have no idea if we get the Earthquakes games locally. I did a quick search on my guide and it shows up on a Spanish network but that’s it.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:42 pm

soccer10k wrote:

As for the MLS, I have no idea if we get the Earthquakes games locally. I did a quick search on my guide and it shows up on a Spanish network but that’s it.

yea, I don't see it in my guide either though I'm pretty sure I've seen MLS games before.

I did not watch Spurs as it was not on . . . I watched Palace and Southampton yesterday though.
0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:48 pm

stitchface wrote:
soccer10k wrote:

yea, I don't see it in my guide either though I'm pretty sure I've seen MLS games before.

I did not watch Spurs as it was not on . . . I watched Palace and Southampton yesterday though.

I figured. Just wanted to make a joke (though maybe not) about Spurs being mediocre.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:38 pm

soccer10k wrote:
stitchface wrote:
soccer10k wrote:

I figured. Just wanted to make a joke (though maybe not) about Spurs being mediocre.

yea, I got it - written like a true cubs fan . . . I think Everton did really well to pick up James - they are not a lower tier team (though likely still caught in mid-table mediocrity). I don't see a whole lot of reason to think Spurs will be any better this year - did they make any changes?
0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:59 pm

stitchface wrote:
soccer10k wrote:
stitchface wrote:

yea, I got it - written like a true cubs fan . . . I think Everton did really well to pick up James - they are not a lower tier team (though likely still caught in mid-table mediocrity). I don't see a whole lot of reason to think Spurs will be any better this year - did they make any changes?

Nothing major, money wise. Picked up Hojbjerg from Southampton and Doherty from Wolves.

They were fine on the whole after Mourinho took over so I’m sure they’ll be in the hunt for 4th. I just feel like they’re going to be boring to watch even if they’re winning. And they’re not going to win enough to make it worthwhile.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:06 am

Mou isn't exactly Mr. Positive is he?
0 x

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:14 pm

excited to see what chelsea is up to, even though a lot of the new guys are out or likely not playing much today. I think they're going to get off to a slower than expected start - kepa/wily still in goal, the defense is still not good, and chilwell, who i dont think is much of a defender anyway, is still out. Havertz likely wont play much and Ziyech is out. Reddit page will be fun if they draw or lose to Brighton.
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

wolf stansson
Superstar

Postby wolf stansson » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:29 pm

No CP in the squad. Couple of notable starters debuting, however.
0 x

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:45 am

desperately need to get mount off the wing and have havertz either at striker or in RLC's spot. He's done nothing since he came back last season. Less than nothing.
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:14 am

big ball chunky time wrote:desperately need to get mount off the wing and have havertz either at striker or in RLC's spot. He's done nothing since he came back last season. Less than nothing.

Having Mount and Kante out there together is silly.
0 x

wolf stansson
Superstar

Postby wolf stansson » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:30 pm

Relevant to our earlier national team best 11 discussion, Tyler Adams has found a home as a deep lying playmaker/ball winner for RB. 1 game in & 1 man of the match to show for it.

0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:21 pm

I guess I've always seen Adams in that role - not through my own expertise - I thought it was kind of a known thing. Anyway, glad to see he'll be playing there for Leipzig.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:26 pm

stitchface wrote:I guess I've always seen Adams in that role - not through my own expertise - I thought it was kind of a known thing. Anyway, glad to see he'll be playing there for Leipzig.

I think most people want him there for the USMNT, the main question is if he had enough regista in him for Berhalter's tastes, with maybe a small concern of there not being a great replacement for him in central midfield. Between Reyna's emergence and this news that path should hopefully be a bit clearer, because it's a much more talented 11 with Adams at the 6 and someone else(Reyna, Pulisic, young breakout player to be named later) in a more advanced midfield role than it is with Yueill at the 6 and Adams further up the field.
0 x

wolf stansson
Superstar

Postby wolf stansson » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:18 pm

I’ve always thought it’s where he needs to be as well.

Also, Jordan Morris definitely couldn’t do this two years ago:

0 x

wolf stansson
Superstar

Postby wolf stansson » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:08 pm

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2020/09/16 ... jax-usmnt/

Sounds like the Dest move to Barca is still on. I love the idea that 2 19 year old Americans are part of the “Jesus Christ who the horsefeathers are any of these dudes” wave that Messi will be riding this year. It’s very funny to me.
1 x

wolf stansson
Superstar

Postby wolf stansson » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:50 pm

0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:30 pm

I like the idea of Barca better . . . I don't think he'll get minutes at Bayern.

Anyway, since no one knows this guy . . .

https://www.espn.com/soccer/barcelona/s ... iendly-win
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:45 pm

IMO I think there's a clearer path to minutes at Bayern, they have multiple RB options but they are all guys who are best at other positions(Pavard at CB, Kimmich in midfield). Plus those primary positions are looking weaker with Thiago leaving and Boateng being a year older. I'm less convinced Dest would get consistent minutes in whatever Barca are going to be this year, especially since they apparently were wanting a loan arrangement where they'd have less skin in the game.
0 x

wolf stansson
Superstar

Postby wolf stansson » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:00 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote: I'm less convinced Dest would get consistent minutes in whatever Barca are going to be this year, especially since they apparently were wanting a loan arrangement where they'd have less skin in the game.

Koeman taking over helps his chances for sure. Koeman probably a bad hire for Barca, but a good one for Dest if he does go there.
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:04 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:IMO I think there's a clearer path to minutes at Bayern, they have multiple RB options but they are all guys who are best at other positions(Pavard at CB, Kimmich in midfield). Plus those primary positions are looking weaker with Thiago leaving and Boateng being a year older. I'm less convinced Dest would get consistent minutes in whatever Barca are going to be this year, especially since they apparently were wanting a loan arrangement where they'd have less skin in the game.

Barca need a right back. They have no options. I also think they use their outside backs more offensively. Both places are fairly risk because it's perform or find the bench. Barca is not quite the shambles you seem to think it is.
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:05 pm

wolf stansson wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote: I'm less convinced Dest would get consistent minutes in whatever Barca are going to be this year, especially since they apparently were wanting a loan arrangement where they'd have less skin in the game.

Koeman taking over helps his chances for sure. Koeman probably a bad hire for Barca, but a good one for Dest if he does go there.

I think he is actually a good hire for Barca if only because he has the guts to make changes that are desperately needed. They wasted an entire season on old men last year because the coaches lacked courage.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:10 pm

wolf stansson wrote:

That's fair, I'm more skeptical there's a coherent plan at Barca that sets Dest up for consistent playing time and opportunity in the future compared to the stability Bayern have at the moment.

stitchface wrote:Barca need a right back. They have no options. I also think they use their outside backs more offensively. Both places are fairly risk because it's perform or find the bench. Barca is not quite the shambles you seem to think it is.

They have Semedo until they don't at the least(which is a little telling about the stability there), and if they are only loaning Dest they don't have much motivation to persist through any bumps in the road he might endure. I don't want to frame it as going to Barcelona is a disaster, but given the option between the 2 right back and club situations I'd prefer him at Bayern.
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:15 pm

Semedo is, not good. Koeman already knows and likes Dest (remember he was trying to get him to play for Netherlands!). I am quite sure he would beat out Semedo. But, we can disagree.
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”