soccer soccer soccer

stitchface
Superstar

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby stitchface » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:15 pm

soccer10k wrote:There’s no horsefeathering way that’s an easy penalty. The rule is garbage. That shouldn’t be a penalty. The one called against Spurs at the end of the game last week shouldn’t have been a penalty. The one Everton got yesterday shouldn’t have been a penalty. These are stupid calls that shouldn’t be given.

The easy and obvious solution, which I’ve said before, is to make unintentional ones like that which don’t directly affect a goal being scored, indirect free kicks. Attacking team still gets a free kick, defending team doesn’t give up a PK for some BS reason and we as fans get to see some creative indirect free kicks.

But this? This handball rule ruins games. It’s dumb and it needs to go away yesterday. It’s a bad rule.

It can't be different for attackers and defenders like it was last year. Really the referee can't judge intent that well but some are obvious. The ones I hate not called are the Sergio Ramos twist with his hands behind his back and it never gets called though he deliberately blocks the ball. Frankly, you should be far more pissed by how badly Spurs played against an absolutely pathetic Newcastle team.
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:16 pm

wolf stansson wrote:https://smarterscout.com/articles/champions-league-fc-barcelona-sergino-dest-ajax-amsterdam-usmnt-nelson-semedo-sergi-roberto-lionel-messi-hector-bellerin-seamus-coleman

Good breakdown of how Dest fits in at Barca.

Sounds like this is happening. Barca looks really good in the first half today. Lets see if they take the second half off like last year.
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:06 pm

In other news, what the hell happened to bayern? That's a shocking scoreline.

Speaking of rules, one thing that should always always always be a foul and caution for me is grabbing an attacker from behind - it's ridiculous that backs grab an attacker's shoulder and pull them off balance but the attacker has to go down to get the call. I would also like to see harsher punishment from grabbing players from behind at midfield. Leicester's strategy to stop DeBruyne was to tackle him at midfield apparently.
0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:23 am

stitchface wrote:
soccer10k wrote:There’s no horsefeathering way that’s an easy penalty. The rule is garbage. That shouldn’t be a penalty. The one called against Spurs at the end of the game last week shouldn’t have been a penalty. The one Everton got yesterday shouldn’t have been a penalty. These are stupid calls that shouldn’t be given.

The easy and obvious solution, which I’ve said before, is to make unintentional ones like that which don’t directly affect a goal being scored, indirect free kicks. Attacking team still gets a free kick, defending team doesn’t give up a PK for some BS reason and we as fans get to see some creative indirect free kicks.

But this? This handball rule ruins games. It’s dumb and it needs to go away yesterday. It’s a bad rule.

It can't be different for attackers and defenders like it was last year. Really the referee can't judge intent that well but some are obvious. The ones I hate not called are the Sergio Ramos twist with his hands behind his back and it never gets called though he deliberately blocks the ball. Frankly, you should be far more pissed by how badly Spurs played against an absolutely pathetic Newcastle team.

So make an intentional hand ball a direct free kick and an unintentional one indirect. If the ref isn’t sure, it’s indirect. You can still review PKs inside the box for intent and get a better sense than what happens live. You can still review goals also. But we can’t be giving PKs for player A kicking the ball of the foot of player B and the ball deflects up onto the arm of player C who is standing right there and has no time to react. It’s dumb.

Nobody likes this rule. The players don’t like it. The managers don’t like it. The fans don’t like it. So if nobody likes it and everybody is in agreement that it’s dumb, why do we have it.

And yes, Spurs should have been 2 or 3 to the good at that point and it shouldn’t have mattered.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:32 am

soccer10k wrote:
stitchface wrote:

So make an intentional hand ball a direct free kick and an unintentional one indirect. If the ref isn’t sure, it’s indirect. You can still review PKs inside the box for intent and get a better sense than what happens live. You can still review goals also. But we can’t be giving PKs for player A kicking the ball of the foot of player B and the ball deflects up onto the arm of player C who is standing right there and has no time to react. It’s dumb.

Nobody likes this rule. The players don’t like it. The managers don’t like it. The fans don’t like it. So if nobody likes it and everybody is in agreement that it’s dumb, why do we have it.

And yes, Spurs should have been 2 or 3 to the good at that point and it shouldn’t have mattered.

That's what I was saying, we have it because of the Liverpool play where the goal shouldn't have counted because it hit someone's arm so they made the rule last year about not allowing goals, which was unfair since it wasn't a foul on a defender. I have no objection to your plan. Otherwise players will start intentionally kicking balls into defender's arms - and they are good enough to do it.
0 x

wvcbxl
5-Time All-Star

Postby wvcbxl » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:58 am

soccer10k wrote:And yes, Spurs should have been 2 or 3 to the good at that point and it shouldn’t have mattered.

Exactly; Newcastle were horrendously bad but Spurs failed to put the game away, thus setting themselves up for being robbed by a fluke penalty at the very end.
0 x
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits. - Satchel Paige.

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:51 pm

"Dest is expected to slot immediately into the first team set up Barca, although sources at the club have called for patience. The deal is unlikely to be finalised in time for Thursday's trip to Celta Vigo but he could be on the squad for Sunday's game against Sevilla."

right into the fire if he starts against sevilla.
0 x

wolf stansson
Superstar

Postby wolf stansson » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:00 pm

Always knew we'd have Americans playing at the biggest clubs, and the Ramos U-20 teams were the first glimpse that we were getting close, but it's still pretty cool to see it actually happen.
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:43 pm

wolf stansson wrote:Always knew we'd have Americans playing at the biggest clubs, and the Ramos U-20 teams were the first glimpse that we were getting close, but it's still pretty cool to see it actually happen.

yes, it is! Glad Koeman is the coach - to me, that lowers the risk significantly over a spanish coach.
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:24 pm

Gio and Richards (for Pavard) both on in Super Cup. Seems like a good game to watch - should have gone for that instead of cubs.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:54 pm

Richards came on at RB, interesting
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:08 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Richards came on at RB, interesting

or did they go to 3 at the back?
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:17 pm

stitchface wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Richards came on at RB, interesting

or did they go to 3 at the back?

I wasn't watching, assumed from reading a couple tweets and seeing he came on for Pavard. The Bundesliga app shows his average position as equivalent to Davies on the opposite side, but I'm not sure if they're grouping in Pavard's minutes too.
0 x

wolf stansson
Superstar

Postby wolf stansson » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:13 pm

Dude has a $475,000,000 buyout clause. Damn.
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:36 pm

dudes going to lining up behind Leo horsefeathering Messi at the Camp Nou - wow. Imagine how surreal that moment you walk into training has to be.
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:52 pm

CL draw has Juventus and Barcelona together. The world eagerly awaits the matchup between Dest and McKennie!
1 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:31 am

stitchface wrote:CL draw has Juventus and Barcelona together. The world eagerly awaits the matchup between Dest and McKennie!

Liverpool-Ajax-Atalanta could be a fun group. PSG-ManU-Leipzig will be interesting as well.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

wvcbxl
5-Time All-Star

Postby wvcbxl » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:03 am

stitchface wrote:CL draw has Juventus and Barcelona together. The world eagerly awaits the matchup between Dest and McKennie!

I prefer Courtois vs Lukaku 8-)
0 x
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits. - Satchel Paige.

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:46 pm

wvcbxl wrote:

I prefer Courtois vs Lukaku 8-)

as long as Lukaku wins.
0 x

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:16 pm

Pulisic suiting up vs Palace, won't start
https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2020/10/02 ... ech-waits/
1 x

wolf stansson
Superstar

Postby wolf stansson » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:17 pm

Ok ok ok

Gio Reyna is our CAM for the next 15 years. Dude is reaching surgical levels of precision in his movement & passing in the attack. He’s also Dortmund’s corner taker already and that has low key been a big weakness for the MNT since Landon “retired.”

3 assists today, should be 4. We need a real #9 in the worst way. It’s the missing ingredient. We will be a legit contender to win the World Cup in ‘26 if we develop a striker in the Pulisic/Reyna class level.
1 x

wolf stansson
Superstar

Postby wolf stansson » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:26 pm

English commentary team compared Gio to a young Zidane today and I was like, “bro come on” and then I realized that he was by far the most dominant player on the pitch and pulled every string perfectly to relentlessly tilt the field towards Freiburg’s goal while making it look super easy and put 4 balls on a silver platter for his teammates to finish. It’s been a long time since we watched Zidane, but that was pretty much what he did that made him special.

Madrid or Barca should drop the bag and buy Gio & Haaland together. It’s a special combo.

Just look at what Gio did to this poor man’s ankles before laying off the slide rule pass to Haaland on the third goal:

Good luck, CONCACAF.
0 x

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:08 pm

Gio Reyna vs. Freiburg:

80 Minutes Played
89% Passing Accuracy
70 Touches
13 Duels Won
5 Tackles Completed
4 Key Passes
4 Dribbles Completed
3 Fouls Drawn
2 Crosses Completed
1 Shot
3 Assists

He's the same age i was when i lost my virginity for the second time. the chosen one
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

wolf stansson
Superstar

Postby wolf stansson » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:07 pm

Appears that Richards is the main beneficiary of Dest choosing Barca.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:18 pm

Few minutes in and Richards is playing a traditional RB, it sounds like they’re at the finish line to sign a RB from France, but they clearly rate him.
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”