soccer soccer soccer

wolf stansson
Superstar

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby wolf stansson » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:33 pm

Truly magical to watch spurs fans lose their mind about Mourinho’s decisions only to see him stack points.

They know what’s happening. It happens everywhere he goes. He’s squeezing maximum points while molding the club in his image. In one to two years everything will go to hell and when he leaves they won’t have Dele, & Kane and Sonny will have permanent degrading injuries that shorten their careers because Jose pressured them to play to get his results.

But he will give them one season that fully maximizes his squads potential before everything breaks bad and he leaves their club in ashes.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:42 pm

Richards with some nice crosses, an assist to Mueller was ruled offside(on Muller) by a couple inches, and he found Lewandowski’s head to force a great save right before a Bayern goal. Defensively, Lukebakio is getting the better of him 1v1 but Hertha dont seem to be picking on him.
0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:56 pm

The only problem is there’s a decent chance he wont top anything Poch did, even if he does maximize the squad. He’s not winning the EPL and he’s not topping the 86 points they got in 16-17. He’s also not going to win the UCL with them either.

A Europa League or FA Cup is certainly possible. And considering they haven’t won a trophy since 08 or the FA Cup since 91, that would probably satisfy a lot of Spurs fans, since that was the main criticism of Poch.

I will say that if they continue to play they way they have the last 2 1/2 league games (the first half against Southampton was bad), I’ll quickly come around on Mourinho. They pounded Newcastle but just couldn’t score. They pounded ManU today before the red card and easily could have been 3-1 or 4-1 up when Martial was sent off. The first 3 goals were all bad ManU defending but it was one way traffic out there.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:53 pm

So anyone else bet Aston Villa over 6.5 goals today? Nobody? Just me?
0 x
In Theo we trust.

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:04 pm

soccer10k wrote:So anyone else bet Aston Villa over 6.5 goals today? Nobody? Just me?

I wouldn't have bet it but I think LFC had this game coming for a while. As they say in Spain, aye Liga!

Speaking of Spain, Jordi Alba limps off in 70th minute and Dest on at LB. Seemed pretty conservative not going forward much but didn't do anything bad. One nice touch to start a move. The announcers were saying Barca is grooming De La Fuente as a left back. So, maybe Richard needs to stay in the middle . . . Sergio Ramos started as an outside back.
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:05 pm

soccer10k wrote:The only problem is there’s a decent chance he wont top anything Poch did, even if he does maximize the squad. He’s not winning the EPL and he’s not topping the 86 points they got in 16-17. He’s also not going to win the UCL with them either.

A Europa League or FA Cup is certainly possible. And considering they haven’t won a trophy since 08 or the FA Cup since 91, that would probably satisfy a lot of Spurs fans, since that was the main criticism of Poch.

I will say that if they continue to play they way they have the last 2 1/2 league games (the first half against Southampton was bad), I’ll quickly come around on Mourinho. They pounded Newcastle but just couldn’t score. They pounded ManU today before the red card and easily could have been 3-1 or 4-1 up when Martial was sent off. The first 3 goals were all bad ManU defending but it was one way traffic out there.

I really like the way Kane is playing - I thought he was over-rated in previous seasons (which isn't to say not good) but he looks very influential these days.
0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:41 am

stitchface wrote:
soccer10k wrote:The only problem is there’s a decent chance he wont top anything Poch did, even if he does maximize the squad. He’s not winning the EPL and he’s not topping the 86 points they got in 16-17. He’s also not going to win the UCL with them either.

I really like the way Kane is playing - I thought he was over-rated in previous seasons (which isn't to say not good) but he looks very influential these days.

He’s always been a decent passer for a striker and does seem to be dropping a bit deeper this year from what I’ve seen.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:00 pm

Is the MNT not playing this break?
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:12 pm

stitchface wrote:Is the MNT not playing this break?

At one point I think they wanted to, but they aren't now: https://sbisoccer.com/2020/09/usmnt-to- ... ifa-window

I believe the hope is to have a mostly/all European based roster play a couple November friendlies in Europe.
0 x

wolf stansson
Superstar

Postby wolf stansson » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:41 am

We are too pathetic a country to be able to handle the logistics/quarantining/visas of international competition.

But if everyone wanted to chill in Orlando for a few months to get some friendlies off, we can do that.

Jesse Marsch got a new toy. How cool to have a prospect like Aaronson (good not great) be able to play for an American manager with a vision for how to maximize him?
0 x

wvcbxl
5-Time All-Star

Postby wvcbxl » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:25 pm

wolf stansson wrote:

We are too pathetic a country to be able to handle the logistics/quarantining/visas of international competition.

Mexico is playing The Netherlands in Amsterdam today (and leading 0-1 with 15’ left) - not sure why the USMNT isn’t playing a game somewhere.
0 x
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits. - Satchel Paige.

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:30 pm

wvcbxl wrote:
wolf stansson wrote:

Mexico is playing The Netherlands in Amsterdam today (and leading 0-1 with 15’ left) - not sure why the USMNT isn’t playing a game somewhere.

they're ready for the world cup. No practice needed.

You may start to see a trickle of news that the US government is currently completely incompetent.
0 x

wvcbxl
5-Time All-Star

Postby wvcbxl » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:41 pm

stitchface wrote:they're ready for the world cup. No practice needed.

The Netherlands do, it seems. They just lost to Mexico at home.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:44 pm

wonder what Frank de Boer's next coaching job will be, at his current trajectory Netherlands will fail to qualify and then he'll get offered the Bayern Munich job
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:55 pm

wvcbxl wrote:

Germany just tied with Turkey so maybe friendlies aren't really meaningful
0 x

wvcbxl
5-Time All-Star

Postby wvcbxl » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:07 pm

stitchface wrote:
wvcbxl wrote:

They aren’t, but Löw wasn’t happy during the postgame interview on German tv
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:42 pm

wvcbxl wrote:
stitchface wrote:
wvcbxl wrote:

They aren’t, but Löw wasn’t happy during the postgame interview on German tv

You act as if Low is capable of emotion. He isn't.
1 x

wolf stansson
Superstar

Postby wolf stansson » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:53 pm

stitchface wrote:
wvcbxl wrote:
wolf stansson wrote:We are too pathetic a country to be able to handle the logistics/quarantining/visas of international competition.

they're ready for the world cup. No practice needed.

You may start to see a trickle of news that the US government is currently completely incompetent.

This.
It is currently extremely difficult for Americans to get travel visas because other countries don’t trust that even our international footballers won’t cause an outbreak in their countries. The list of countries Americans can travel to right now isn’t very long.
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:53 pm

I hate international breaks
0 x

wolf stansson
Superstar

Postby wolf stansson » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:23 pm

This kid is apparently already ear marked for RB Leipzig.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:01 pm

To add on to Wolf's note, apparently the 'ear marked' is more or less a part of his pro contract with RBNY, so if that's true then Clark will be moving to Germany in 2022 at age 18.

In other young US attacking midfielder news, the worst kept transfer secret in MLS got announced, with Brenden Aaronson going to RB Salzburg in January for 6 million(with escalators to 9 million). All we need now is for Pomykal to get healthy and maybe some good news out of Ledezma and Mendez and we'll really be rolling.
0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:18 pm

Ok, someone needs to explain to me why Mane was offside today. I thought that the arm didn’t count as being offside because you can’t score a goal with your arm. But the review clearly lined up with Mane’s arm. Did that part of the rule get changed?
0 x
In Theo we trust.

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:12 pm

wolf stansson wrote:https://twitter.com/BrianSciaretta/status/1316548241249402887?s=20

This kid is apparently already ear marked for RB Leipzig.

his teammates's reaction is awesome. that power on the quick release is amazing
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:13 pm

soccer10k wrote:Ok, someone needs to explain to me why Mane was offside today. I thought that the arm didn’t count as being offside because you can’t score a goal with your arm. But the review clearly lined up with Mane’s arm. Did that part of the rule get changed?

didn't see that replay but they defined the upper part of the arm differently in the new rule. How Pickford wasn't sent off is beyond me.
0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:53 pm

stitchface wrote:
soccer10k wrote:Ok, someone needs to explain to me why Mane was offside today. I thought that the arm didn’t count as being offside because you can’t score a goal with your arm. But the review clearly lined up with Mane’s arm. Did that part of the rule get changed?

didn't see that replay but they defined the upper part of the arm differently in the new rule. How Pickford wasn't sent off is beyond me.

Rumor is van Dijk tore his ACL also.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

Return to “Other Sports”