soccer soccer soccer

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 54373
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 301
x 4043

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:37 pm

honest question, is Cameron drunk
1 x

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 73216
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 1988
x 2807
Contact:

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:46 pm

Still plenty of time but if we were to lose would we need 3 at Honduras to be in any sort of decent position going into the final set of games.?
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 73216
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 1988
x 2807
Contact:

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby UMFan83 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:34 am

Now Jozy suspended for Honduras. This has been an absolutely awful night for USMNT thus far
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 73216
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 1988
x 2807
Contact:

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby UMFan83 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:36 am

2-0 now. GD not going to be our friend in the Hex
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
bukie
Superstar
Posts: 18340
Joined: Sat May 31, 2003 4:17 am
Location: Midlothian, IL
x 31
x 1802
Contact:

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby bukie » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:57 am

Don't think I've ever been so disappointed in the USMNT before.
0 x
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 54373
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 301
x 4043

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:03 am

UMFan83 wrote:Still plenty of time but if we were to lose would we need 3 at Honduras to be in any sort of decent position going into the final set of games.?



Coming back to this, assuming Panama doesn't get any points later in Azteca, you have:

USA 8 pts +1 GD
Honduras 8 pts -6 GD
Panama 7 pts -1 GD

With these schedules:

USA: @Hon, v.Pan, @T&T
Hon: v.USA, @CR, v.Mex
Pan: v.T&T, @USA, v.CR

A tie and a win for the US would not only put them at 11 points, but make it extremely difficult for them to be caught since Panama would likely be on 10 points and Honduras 9 entering the final game day where the US has by far the best matchup. 4 points from the next 2 games isn't a given, but Honduras hasn't exactly defended their home field well, and there's other uncertainties like Panama taking 3 from T&T(they haven't won at home in the hex).
0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame
Posts: 35829
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:21 pm
Location: Sacramento
x 687

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby soccer10k » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:14 am

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:Still plenty of time but if we were to lose would we need 3 at Honduras to be in any sort of decent position going into the final set of games.?



Coming back to this, assuming Panama doesn't get any points later in Azteca, you have:

USA 8 pts +1 GD
Honduras 8 pts -6 GD
Panama 7 pts -1 GD

With these schedules:

USA: @Hon, v.Pan, @T&T
Hon: v.USA, @CR, v.Mex
Pan: v.T&T, @USA, v.CR

A tie and a win for the US would not only put them at 11 points, but make it extremely difficult for them to be caught since Panama would likely be on 10 points and Honduras 9 entering the final game day where the US has by far the best matchup. 4 points from the next 2 games isn't a given, but Honduras hasn't exactly defended their home field well, and there's other uncertainties like Panama taking 3 from T&T(they haven't won at home in the hex).


We're fine unless Costa Rica clinches a top-3 against Mexico and decides to not try in their last two games. It's unlikely with the matchups but Mexico would absolutely tank that last game if it screwed us over. But the only way that would happen is if we beat/tied Honduras but lost to Panama and then Honduras won in Costa Rica.

Even to finish third we could lose a close one to Honduras and still be fine because of goal differential. Lose to Honduras, win the next two and Honduras would have to beat Mexico by 7 goals or something to make up the GD.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 54373
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 301
x 4043

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:01 pm

Game starts in a half hour

Good: Acosta and Gonzalez, no more Ream
Bad: Beasley over Villafana, not really sure Morris/Dempsey is better than Altidore/Wood

0 x

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 54373
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 301
x 4043

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:08 pm

missing Brooks and Yedlin for this round of qualifiers is hurting a lot
0 x

User avatar
wolf stansson
Superstar
Posts: 11277
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:53 am
Location: America's dong
x 3
x 47

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby wolf stansson » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:08 pm

Our center backs have collectively decided they don't want to go to Russia.
0 x

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 73216
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 1988
x 2807
Contact:

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:33 pm

Phew.

Not idea but I'll take it. Should be good as long as we don't outright lose to Panama
0 x
Win it for Fred

soccer10k
Hall of Fame
Posts: 35829
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:21 pm
Location: Sacramento
x 687

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby soccer10k » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:35 am

Last couple rounds of South American qualifying will be interesting. Chile's trying to blow it by losing at home to Paraguay 3-0 and then losing at Bolivia (9th place) 1-0. Brazil is officially in and Uruguay is all but qualified (they're in second and they play the 9th and 10th place teams).

After that:

Code: Select all

3. Colombia  26 (+3 GD)  vs Par  at Per
4. Peru      24 (+1 GD)  at Arg  vs Col
5. Argentina 24 (+1 GD)  vs Per  at Ecu
6. Chile     23 (+1 GD)  vs Ecu  at Bra
7. Paraguay  21 (-6 GD)  at Col  vs Ven
8. Ecuador   20 (+0 GD)  at Chi  vs Arg


Colombia is in if they win one of the two games and might get in with two draws. Ecuador needs to win twice to make it and Paraguay probably does also.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

User avatar
wolf stansson
Superstar
Posts: 11277
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:53 am
Location: America's dong
x 3
x 47

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby wolf stansson » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:57 pm

0 x

User avatar
wolf stansson
Superstar
Posts: 11277
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:53 am
Location: America's dong
x 3
x 47

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby wolf stansson » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:36 pm

Josh Sargent finalized the Bremen deal, reportedly turning down Bayern because playing time is a good thing to get.

0 x

User avatar
wolf stansson
Superstar
Posts: 11277
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:53 am
Location: America's dong
x 3
x 47

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby wolf stansson » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:34 pm



Miazga Eredevisie team of the week.
0 x

User avatar
wolf stansson
Superstar
Posts: 11277
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:53 am
Location: America's dong
x 3
x 47

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby wolf stansson » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:16 pm

0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame
Posts: 35829
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:21 pm
Location: Sacramento
x 687

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby soccer10k » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:37 am

soccer10k wrote:Last couple rounds of South American qualifying will be interesting. Chile's trying to blow it by losing at home to Paraguay 3-0 and then losing at Bolivia (9th place) 1-0. Brazil is officially in and Uruguay is all but qualified (they're in second and they play the 9th and 10th place teams).

After that:

Code: Select all

3. Colombia  26 (+3 GD)  vs Par  at Per
4. Peru      24 (+1 GD)  at Arg  vs Col
5. Argentina 24 (+1 GD)  vs Per  at Ecu
6. Chile     23 (+1 GD)  vs Ecu  at Bra
7. Paraguay  21 (-6 GD)  at Col  vs Ven
8. Ecuador   20 (+0 GD)  at Chi  vs Arg


Colombia is in if they win one of the two games and might get in with two draws. Ecuador needs to win twice to make it and Paraguay probably does also.


Update:

Code: Select all

3. Colombia  26 (+2 GD)  L 1-0 vs Par  at Per
4. Chile     26 (+2 GD)  W 2-1 vs Ecu  at Bra
5. Peru      25 (+1 GD)  T 0-0 at Arg  vs Col
6. Argentina 25 (+1 GD)  T 0-0 vs Per  at Ecu
7. Paraguay  24 (-5 GD)  W 1-0 at Col  vs Ven


Chile put itself in good shape today but Argentina and Columbia blew chances to put themselves in great position. Going into the last week, only Paraguay can't get at least 5th win a win because Columbia and Peru play each other (the loser of that is probably out).
0 x
In Theo we trust.

User avatar
wolf stansson
Superstar
Posts: 11277
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:53 am
Location: America's dong
x 3
x 47

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby wolf stansson » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:57 pm

What needs to happen for Argentina to be in/out (I realize I could look into it, but I'd rather ask someone who already knows, and this thread isn't active enough lately).
0 x

User avatar
bukie
Superstar
Posts: 18340
Joined: Sat May 31, 2003 4:17 am
Location: Midlothian, IL
x 31
x 1802
Contact:

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby bukie » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:29 pm

wolf stansson wrote:What needs to happen for Argentina to be in/out (I realize I could look into it, but I'd rather ask someone who already knows, and this thread isn't active enough lately).

Out with a loss, in with a win, with a draw they need to hope for 3 of 4 outcomes of Paraguay L/T, Peru L, Chile L, and Colombia L by 2+
0 x
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

User avatar
wolf stansson
Superstar
Posts: 11277
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:53 am
Location: America's dong
x 3
x 47

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby wolf stansson » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:42 pm

Ftr, we're going to lose tonight. I have such a terrible feeling.
0 x

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 54373
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 301
x 4043

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:47 pm

wolf stansson wrote:Ftr, we're going to lose tonight. I have such a terrible feeling.


I'm very glad there's Cubs playoff baseball to watch instead. They could win 7-0 and it still wouldn't be a relief, so there's no way that's going to be a pleasant viewing experience.
0 x

User avatar
wolf stansson
Superstar
Posts: 11277
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:53 am
Location: America's dong
x 3
x 47

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby wolf stansson » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:54 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
wolf stansson wrote:Ftr, we're going to lose tonight. I have such a terrible feeling.


I'm very glad there's Cubs playoff baseball to watch instead. They could win 7-0 and it still wouldn't be a relief, so there's no way that's going to be a pleasant viewing experience.

You're insane. Playoff baseball just gives you double the risk.
0 x

User avatar
wolf stansson
Superstar
Posts: 11277
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:53 am
Location: America's dong
x 3
x 47

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby wolf stansson » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:27 pm

1 x

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 54373
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 301
x 4043

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:27 pm

0 x

User avatar
bukie
Superstar
Posts: 18340
Joined: Sat May 31, 2003 4:17 am
Location: Midlothian, IL
x 31
x 1802
Contact:

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby bukie » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:25 am

Good offensive half, they should have 6+ at this point.
0 x
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.


Return to “Other Sports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests