soccer soccer soccer

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:54 pm

much better now, 3 good looks including a ball off the post in the last 5 minutes
0 x

wolf stansson
Superstar

Postby wolf stansson » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:25 pm

I'm curious as to what got into England's youth teams lately. Gotta just be strictly club investment in player development, right? No way this is top-down from the FA.

http://www.espnfc.us/united-states/stor ... presidency

So Wynalda is essentially Bernie Sanders for USSF President. Equal pay for the women : equal pay for women, move MLS to a winter calendar/make a path to pro-rel/observe FIFA dates : single payer HC.

No one pays enough attention to this for a populist to win, and on the surface these seem like pipe dreams that will never be implemented (other than equal pay for the women which absolutely could & should happen), but at the same time a part of me is like [meme of guy walking with girlfriend (Gulati) but checking out other girl (Waldo]. At least the chaos would be interesting.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:56 pm

I do think there's probably a pro-rel path to be paved eventually if the right people really push for it, but I have a hard time seeing the schedule thing happen until global warming really picks up the pace.

We start in March in bad weather and we finish in December in worse weather. So we have weather that's going to be a challenge, but it is silly of us to play our games of relevance and our playoffs in those conditions.

So the obvious solution is to play half the season between December and March and abandon the nicest weather of months of the year in the process? December/January in NY, Boston, Philly, Denver, Chicago, Cascadia, Canada, SLC, and Minnesota would be miserable. More than half the league!
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:01 pm

those crazy belgish are at it again

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:03 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:those crazy belgish are at it again

Dammit Laurens
0 x

wolf stansson
Superstar

Postby wolf stansson » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:04 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:I do think there's probably a pro-rel path to be paved eventually if the right people really push for it, but I have a hard time seeing the schedule thing happen until global warming really picks up the pace.

We start in March in bad weather and we finish in December in worse weather. So we have weather that's going to be a challenge, but it is silly of us to play our games of relevance and our playoffs in those conditions.

So the obvious solution is to play half the season between December and March and abandon the nicest weather of months of the year in the process? December/January in NY, Boston, Philly, Denver, Chicago, Cascadia, Canada, SLC, and Minnesota would be miserable. More than half the league!

I've seen some compelling cases for the clasura/apertura model from Mexico and S America which is essentially shorter seasons that straddle the bad weather period.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:09 pm

wolf stansson wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:I do think there's probably a pro-rel path to be paved eventually if the right people really push for it, but I have a hard time seeing the schedule thing happen until global warming really picks up the pace.

I've seen some compelling cases for the clasura/apertura model from Mexico and S America which is essentially shorter seasons that straddle the bad weather period.

Interesting, I hadn't heard about this. Sounds very similar to how MiLB leagues do a first and second half champion. I wonder if that would help or hurt MLS's minor problem with the regular season being kinda meaningless until summer.
0 x

wvcbxl
5-Time All-Star

Postby wvcbxl » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:51 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:those crazy belgish are at it again

Deadspin only got it half right - what really happened is even more ridiculous. There seems to have been a meeting by various Euro-hooligans (80 Dutch from The Hague, 30 French from Lille, and a handful from England and Slovenia) who wanted to help the Bruges hooligans (all of whom have a stadium ban) trash the Antwerp contingent (who have a hardcore hooligan rep themselves). Because of a misunderstanding they attacked the wrong pub and ended up fighting eachother. :roll:
1 x
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits. - Satchel Paige.

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:41 pm

Unceremonious exits from the playoffs for the Fire and Earthquakes last night, yikes.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:00 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Unceremonious exits from the playoffs for the Fire and Earthquakes last night, yikes.

I turned on the Fire game for a few minutes last night. Saw the first two goals for NY and wow was that some bad goalkeeping/defense.

Also, NY has some absolutely hideous uni's. Good lord.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:26 pm

Banedon wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Unceremonious exits from the playoffs for the Fire and Earthquakes last night, yikes.

I turned on the Fire game for a few minutes last night. Saw the first two goals for NY and wow was that some bad goalkeeping/defense.

Also, NY has some absolutely hideous uni's. Good lord.

The length of the MLS schedule can be cruel. The Fire got out to such a good start, then only 17 points in 15 games after the Gold Cup break. In hindsight, probably not too surprising given how terrible they were last year, but with a couple small reinforcements they should be playoff caliber again.

You aren't kidding about the goalkeeping though, yikes x2.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:31 pm

US out of the World Cup, Fire crushed out of the playoffs, Everton in the relegation zone....yeah goodbye soccer for a bit.
0 x
Win it for Fred

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:51 am

Zack Steffen just manhandled Atlanta in penalties, what a display
0 x

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:29 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Zack Steffen just manhandled Atlanta in penalties, what a display

He should be in Portugal next month.
0 x
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

wolf stansson
Superstar

Postby wolf stansson » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:13 pm

bukie wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Zack Steffen just manhandled Atlanta in penalties, what a display

He should be in Portugal next month.

I really, really hope he, Gonzalez, and Horvath can be Friedel, Keller, Meola for this generation.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:01 pm

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:06 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:https://twitter.com/GrantWahl/status/925368322341900288

So this version of the playoffs assumes the home games will all be in Texas, southern California, or Florida.
0 x
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:22 pm

bukie wrote:

So this version of the playoffs assumes the home games will all be in Texas, southern California, or Florida.

It doesn't go any later in the year than the current format. It gets away with that by eliminating 2 playoff teams per conference.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:24 pm

bukie wrote:

november isn't that scary of a month for weather

and isn't this the same timing as current?
0 x

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:08 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
bukie wrote:

It doesn't go any later in the year than the current format. It gets away with that by eliminating 2 playoff teams per conference.

It also backloads the games after mid-November, so instead of a max 2 games played at a specific venue after this weekend, now you are potentially looking at 4-5 games at one venue in a potential winter climate.
0 x

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:12 pm

Personally, I'd be all for aligning the MLS calendar with other club soccer calendars, but the stadium infrastructure in the northern cities isn't there at this point.
0 x

wolf stansson
Superstar

Postby wolf stansson » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:10 pm

Bobby Wood is in a "negative spiral" and probably facing an uphill climb back into the lineup for Hamburg.

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/usmnt ... ive-spiral

Yedlin's first game back for Newcastle after T&T was sketchy. He should've been sent off twice. Only poor officiating saved him. Deuce had the meltdown throwing elbows and got red in his first game back. Jozy & Bradley are getting booed everywhere they go, but they seem to be handling it well. Not a surprise as those two are supremely classy and have been through the wars in their time in Europe.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:16 pm

wolf stansson wrote:Jozy & Bradley are getting booed everywhere they go, but they seem to be handling it well. Not a surprise as those two are supremely classy and have been through the wars in their time in Europe.

Playing/leading one of the best MLS teams ever doesn't hurt either.
0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:42 am

I went into the Champions League hoping Spurs would get second in their group and not really expecting a ton. Now they're a win away from winning the group.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

wolf stansson
Superstar

Postby wolf stansson » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:39 pm

It must be awfully conflicting to be a die hard fan of these big clubs as you watch your favorite player demolish one of the GIANT clubs and just knowing that he'll be wearing their uniform when the summer transfer window comes around.

What I'm saying is enjoy Dele Alli while you can.
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”