Tennis Thread

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Re: Tennis Thread

Postby soccer10k » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:09 pm

cl smooth wrote:Serena Williams is breaking down mentally during the women’s us open final. This is hard to watch.

She was penalized for breaking her racket and calling the referee a “thief.”

Yeah, that was absurd. They showed the replay of the exchange and she didn’t even say “effing thief”. Umpire needs to know the situation. I know the code violations escalate and that was the third one but still. That was so minor. Just let it go.

Plus the coaches coach during every match so the first violation was BS also.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Postby Butterscup » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:49 pm

I don't watch enough tennis to know if all that was warranted (at least in the moment. Twitter pretty quickly unanimously agreed that the umpire was insane), but man, I felt so bad for Osaka. That should've been the greatest moment of her life and it was just completely overshadowed.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:51 am

I wonder if it's anything like baseball, where you can swear as much as you want, but you can't use any form of the word "you." "You're a thief" would get you tossed much quicker than a long string of tirades.

I'm gonna split the difference and say that Serena was out of line and deserved all those penalties, but that if she was a white male star she would have gotten the star treatment on two of them.
0 x

Wilson A2000
5-Time All-Star

Postby Wilson A2000 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:37 pm

Umpire should not have penalized Serena for getting advice during a Grand Slam, but he’s the Joe West of tennis chair umpires. Rafa has had issues with him too. It’s not a sexist issue. And Serena was getting beaten pretty soundly at the time anyway.
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”