Week 1 Bears (0-0) @ Texans (0-0) Noon, FOX/780

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Week 1 Bears (0-0) @ Texans (0-0) Noon, FOX/780

Postby David » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:44 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
David wrote:
tawfiqmp wrote:People made a stink about how it was "just preseason" but this is the exact same team we saw in preseason. How the starters played in preseason was completely telling to how good this team could be.

sure, if you pretend the first half didn't count or happen
keep plucking that chicken

:roll:
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:45 pm

tawfiqmp wrote:I've given a lot of credit to Ryan Pace, mainly for not being Jerry Angelo/Phil Emery, but he doesn't appear to be great at his job either.

I mean he's literally been the GM for 17 games and he inherited an aging team virtually void of young impact talent. I'm not saying you should say he's doing a good job so far but I'm giving him more than a year and change before I deliver a verdict on him.

Edit: and to clarify, I'm not giving him a ton more time. I expect to see at least a couple of these draft picks prove themselves but I think 1 game into his second season is not necessarily fair to him.
Last edited by UMFan83 on Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Win it for Fred

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:45 pm

David wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
David wrote:
sure, if you pretend the first half didn't count or happen
keep plucking that chicken

It's football. The only thing that counts is the final score. The Bears lost by 9.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:47 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
Butterscup wrote:cutler has no chance. garbage team.

Maybe but there might not be a worst matchup for a team that's breaking in 2/5 guys on their line. They were simply worn down over time and now Houston is having their way

Keep in mind JJ Watt was completely ineffective.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:48 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
David wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:keep plucking that chicken

It's football. The only thing that counts is the final score. The Bears lost by 9.

the starters looked like they did in the preseason in the second half. they did not in the first.
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:49 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
tawfiqmp wrote:I've given a lot of credit to Ryan Pace, mainly for not being Jerry Angelo/Phil Emery, but he doesn't appear to be great at his job either.

I mean he's literally been the GM for 17 games and he inherited an aging team virtually void of young impact talent. I'm not saying you should say he's doing a good job so far but I'm giving him more than a year and change before I deliver a verdict on him.
hes been gm for a hell of a lot more than 17 games. He's been gm for over a year and a half. He hired a known horrible game manager as head coach and has had two full drafts and two offseason signing periods. Plus two camps. In the NFL, that is enough time for a good gm to make a team good. Not great, but good. This team is doing the same horsefeathers it did 4 years ago.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:04 pm

In the quest to surpass the 7.5 win total a winnable game such as this is a wasted opportunity and the fact that it wasn't fluky things but rather the same old problems that led to it had to increase doubt in the chances for 8 or 9 wins, let alone 10.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:08 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

hes been gm for a hell of a lot more than 17 games. He's been gm for over a year and a half. He hired a known horrible game manager as head coach and has had two full drafts and two offseason signing periods. Plus two camps. In the NFL, that is enough time for a good gm to make a team good. Not great, but good. This team is doing the same [expletive] it did 4 years ago.

He's had 17 games to show results. So far the results aren't good enough but I liked his FA pickups and this is the 1st game we've seen a 1st round pick of his play.

I would have rather gone for a young assistant over fox because he's old and clearly has issues but I don't think he's a disaster hire so I think that's where you and I disagree.

If at the end of this year the Bears look bad still, white and Floyd show no signs of being stars, freeman and travathen don't do much to improve defense and the offense continues to struggle because they failed to replace their good RB and TE among other issues I am fine with saying pace is not good
Last edited by UMFan83 on Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Win it for Fred

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:10 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:
hes been gm for a hell of a lot more than 17 games. He's been gm for over a year and a half. He hired a known horrible game manager as head coach and has had two full drafts and two offseason signing periods. Plus two camps. In the NFL, that is enough time for a good gm to make a team good. Not great, but good. This team is doing the same [expletive] it did 4 years ago.

He's had 17 games to show results. So far the results aren't good enough but I liked his FA pickups and this is the 1st game we've seen a 1st of his play.

I would have rather gone for a young assistant over fox because he's old and clearly has issues but I don't think he's a disaster hire so I think that's where you and I disagree.

i'm pretty sure goony doesn't think fox is a disaster hire. just doesn't think he's a good in game strategist. iirc, at least.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:12 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

He's had 17 games to show results. So far the results aren't good enough but I liked his FA pickups and this is the 1st game we've seen a 1st of his play.

i didn't say fox was a disaster. Rather it was safe uninspired and blah. You can't blame losses on bad coaching decisions and not consider the man that hired him when he was a known bad decision maker. Fox personifies what pace has done to date, which is making this team a respectable losing team rather than the emery trestman embarrassment
0 x

tawfiqmp
Role Player

Postby tawfiqmp » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:18 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

He's had 17 games to show results. So far the results aren't good enough but I liked his FA pickups and this is the 1st game we've seen a 1st round pick of his play.

If at the end of this year the Bears look bad still, white and Floyd show no signs of being stars, freeman and travathen don't do much to improve defense and the offense continues to struggle because they failed to replace their good RB and TE among other issues I am fine with saying pace is not good

His O-Line construction has been poor to say the least. Arians said last week he was thrilled with what he had at O-Line. Bobby Massie showed today why Arians is thrilled about that.
0 x

JonJayCutler
All-Star

Postby JonJayCutler » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:50 am

Texans front seven is going to make a lot of OLs look like horsefeathers this year. Not that Leno/Massie will ever be good tackles, but I'm willing to cut them some slack today.

Wentz is in for a rude awakening next Monday. Faced a Browns team at home that might actually be worse than it was last year. Pretty fantastic way to make your NFL debut. I don't think our defense is formidable yet or anything, but I do know that it's a ton better than Cleveland's.

That's enough optimism though. Not too worried about White yet but considering route-running ability/Football IQ was always the main knock on him, it really sucked having those fears validated, at least for one day. I'll give him at least 1 year before busting out my David Terrell jersey though.
0 x
Formerly CubsBearsMagic. 66.6% of those teams aren't worthy of a username, but two lovable average players are.

Sosa21MVP
5-Time All-Star

Postby Sosa21MVP » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:23 am

Looks like a solid 5-7 win team. Could maybe win 8. Meh.
0 x

tawfiqmp
Role Player

Postby tawfiqmp » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:33 am

Sosa21MVP wrote:Looks like a solid 5-7 win team. Could maybe win 8. Meh.

Schedule is easy so I'm expecting 7 or 8 wins
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:31 pm

PFF changed their grading system which is annoying but here are their (free) released grades

Quarterback grade: Jay Cutler, 78.4

Cutler puts together a solid performance in loss

Bears fans shouldn’t pin this loss on Jay Cutler. He threw the ball well deep, as he connected on three of his five passes targeted 20 or more yards downfield. Cutler didn’t handle the blitz well against the Texans, however, as his QB rating dropped down to an awful 42.6 when he was facing a blitz.

Top offensive grades:

RG Kyle Long, 82.4

LG Josh Sitton, 78.0

WR Eddie Royal, 74.4

WR Alshon Jeffery, 70.9

TE Logan Paulsen, 69.8

Recently signed guard Sitton already making a positive impact

When Josh Sitton was let go by the Packers just before the start of the 2016 season, the Bears quickly snatched him up and thrust him into their starting lineup for Week 1. The starting guard combination of Sitton and Kyle Long only allowed one QB hurry on 37 pass-block snaps.

Top defensive grades:

LB Jerrell Freeman, 87.8

LB Danny Trevathan, 83.2

CB Jacoby Glenn, 79.5

CB Bryce Callahan, 79.2

S Adrian Amos, 78.9

Linebackers pace the Bears’ defense

The Bears linebacker corps looked fast and athletic in Week 1, with Danny Trevathan, Jerrell Freeman and Leonard Floyd running all over the place making plays. Freeman had one hurry and eight run stops. Trevathan had one sack, one hurry and eight run stops. The rookie Floyd added a sack and a hurry in his first game.

Good to see Sitton (and Long) graded well, and on defense seeing the 2 biggest FA signings in Freeman and Trevathan have a good showing, along with 2nd year guy Amos.
0 x
Win it for Fred

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:36 pm

I'd like to see Floyd's actual rating, especially since they included him in the positive comment about the LBs.

Also curious how they graded Hall. to my eyes, he gave up a couple of plays but he looked to be playing good coverage and just got beat.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:40 pm

i guess this actually belongs in a week 2 thread.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:43 pm

David wrote:

i guess this actually belongs in a week 2 thread.

I had forgotten this was a MNF game before looking up this spread.

not happy about it
0 x

apete6
All-Star

Postby apete6 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:22 pm

UMFan83 wrote:PFF changed their grading system which is annoying but here are their (free) released grades

Quarterback grade: Jay Cutler, 78.4

Cutler puts together a solid performance in loss

Bears fans shouldn’t pin this loss on Jay Cutler. He threw the ball well deep, as he connected on three of his five passes targeted 20 or more yards downfield. Cutler didn’t handle the blitz well against the Texans, however, as his QB rating dropped down to an awful 42.6 when he was facing a blitz.

Top offensive grades:

RG Kyle Long, 82.4

LG Josh Sitton, 78.0

WR Eddie Royal, 74.4

WR Alshon Jeffery, 70.9

TE Logan Paulsen, 69.8

Recently signed guard Sitton already making a positive impact

When Josh Sitton was let go by the Packers just before the start of the 2016 season, the Bears quickly snatched him up and thrust him into their starting lineup for Week 1. The starting guard combination of Sitton and Kyle Long only allowed one QB hurry on 37 pass-block snaps.

Top defensive grades:

LB Jerrell Freeman, 87.8

LB Danny Trevathan, 83.2

CB Jacoby Glenn, 79.5

CB Bryce Callahan, 79.2

S Adrian Amos, 78.9

Linebackers pace the Bears’ defense

The Bears linebacker corps looked fast and athletic in Week 1, with Danny Trevathan, Jerrell Freeman and Leonard Floyd running all over the place making plays. Freeman had one hurry and eight run stops. Trevathan had one sack, one hurry and eight run stops. The rookie Floyd added a sack and a hurry in his first game.

Good to see Sitton (and Long) graded well, and on defense seeing the 2 biggest FA signings in Freeman and Trevathan have a good showing, along with 2nd year guy Amos.

Not surprising that the DL and OTs weren't top performers. Pleasant surprise with the corners. I thought Hall looked decent as well.

Good thing we drafted Kevin White instead of Todd Gurley knowing that they would move on from Matt Forte after the season. White looks like trash and there have been exactly 0 flashes of his speed/athleticism, even in the preseason.
0 x

cubbyvirus00
All-Star

Postby cubbyvirus00 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:56 pm

Re-thinking this game over, sure Kevin White was awful but I think the Bears showed some promise. They played a top 3 defense, somewhat at full strength with a recently overhauled O-line and new pieces on both sides of the ball. This is only year 2 of a dumpster fire rebuild. Kevin White will have the rest of the season to acclimate and adjust but it is concerning that we didn't see any flash plays.
1 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:08 pm

Whoa, that is the most un-cubbyvirus post ever.

I'm not pleased. Overall it looked like a 5 win team. Second half was a zero win team.

However, I do think there is room for optimism that this team has growth potential and just the fact that we may get more favorable matchups the rest of the season.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:25 pm

Bernstein was saying on the radio that Sitton was cut from GB partially because he was a disruption in the locker room because of his contract and eventually culminated in a fight with Clinton-Dix that "turned racial"
0 x
Win it for Fred

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:35 pm

UMFan83 wrote:Bernstein was saying on the radio that Sitton was cut from GB partially because he was a disruption in the locker room because of his contract and eventually culminated in a fight with Clinton-Dix that "turned racial"

Pompei wrote about the contract disruption, not the rest.
0 x

Flames24Rulz
Hall of Fame

Postby Flames24Rulz » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:59 pm

UMFan83 wrote:Bernstein was saying on the radio that Sitton was cut from GB partially because he was a disruption in the locker room because of his contract and eventually culminated in a fight with Clinton-Dix that "turned racial"

holy horsefeathers LOL. Keep making up stuff, Dan.
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”