General Other Sports Chit-Chat Thread

Pushfrog98
All-Star

General Other Sports Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Pushfrog98 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:36 pm

I feel this is beyond "soccer" as a thread and carries over to any youth sports, hence the new thread.

In a 1st/2nd grade co-ed instructional soccer league, at what score should the winning team start backing it off?

For instance: Team A is up by at least 10-0 at half. They play 4x12 minute quarters.
Team A is probably 10:5 boys:girls, and all look to be huge 2nd graders.
Team B is 10:5 girls:boys, and almost all 1st graders.

Entering the 3rd period, should team A:

A) Keep your foot on the throttle
B) Ease up a bit
C) other
0 x

bukie
Superstar

Re: General Other Sports Chit-Chat Thread

Postby bukie » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:47 pm

It's an instructional league, 10-0 is already well past the point of needing to back off.

In fact, in the league I coach, if the score reaches even 7-0 by half, there is no second half.
Last edited by bukie on Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:56 pm

If it's instructional, why even keep score?
0 x

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:59 pm

Derwood wrote:If it's instructional, why even keep score?

Because it's not a practice and kids need to learn that winning and losing is part of the game.
2 x
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:04 pm

bukie wrote:

Because it's not a practice and kids need to learn that winning and losing is part of the game.

Sure, but I could also see a string of 10-0 losses killing morale and turning some kids away from the sport
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:34 pm

bukie wrote:

7 year olds Dude
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:37 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
bukie wrote:

7 year olds Dude

My kid would have quit. She hates losing
0 x

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:02 am

Derwood wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
bukie wrote:Because it's not a practice and kids need to learn that winning and losing is part of the game.

7 year olds Dude

This is part of why it's important to keep score at young ages. Learning that losing is a thing that happens and doesn't mean the game isn't worth playing.
2 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:11 am

bukie wrote:
Derwood wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:7 year olds Dude

This is part of why it's important to keep score at young ages. Learning that losing is a thing that happens and doesn't mean the game isn't worth playing.

7 year olds don't learn that.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:24 am

Does the fact that grown ups are keeping track(possibly without a scoreboard) really change much? They're still getting killed even if you ignore what the actual count is. I would guess the behavior is probably more frustrating/damaging than any knowledge of the exact number.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:38 am

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Does the fact that grown ups are keeping track(possibly without a scoreboard) really change much? They're still getting killed even if you ignore what the actual count is. I would guess the behavior is probably more frustrating/damaging than any knowledge of the exact number.

Oh they all know what's happening. Any coach of a dynamo youth team is a garbage person and takes pride in one group of clumsy [expletive] beating up on a more clumsy group.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:05 am

A couple of years ago my kids (then 4 and 5) played in an upward soccer league. Each team is supposed to sub regularly and move players around to other positions.They played a team that had a kid on it who was so far beyond all the other kids in terms of ability. Their coach (his dad) left him in the game the entire time and he basically just ran and scored goals. It was stupid and embarrassing for the guy and his kid. All the kids on our team basically just stopped playing. The poor little girl who was the goal keeper just stood there. I've never seen anything like it. It was like that Will Farrell movie.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:10 am

CubinNY wrote:A couple of years ago my kids (then 4 and 5) played in an upward soccer league. Each team is supposed to sub regularly and move players around to other positions.They played a team that had a kid on it who was so far beyond all the other kids in terms of ability. Their coach (his dad) left him in the game the entire time and he basically just ran and scored goals. It was stupid and embarrassing for the guy and his kid. All the kids on our team basically just stopped playing. The poor little girl who was the goal keeper just stood there. I've never seen anything like it. It was like that Will Farrell movie.

Last spring my daughter was in rec-league softball and one team had a) the best pitcher (by far) in the league and b) a crazy woman for a coach who was ruthless and also did I mention crazy

So the rule was that the same girl couldn't pitch more than 2 consecutive innings, but she would always start this star pitcher in the 1st, 2nd and 4th innings, no matter the score. If her team was winning 12-0, out would come Cy Young to mow your team down. Then, while her girls were hitting, she'd stand behind the backstop and harass the umpire (who was often a 14 year old boy) about the strike zone he was calling.
0 x

Pushfrog98
All-Star

Postby Pushfrog98 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:40 am

Derwood wrote:
bukie wrote:

Sure, but I could also see a string of 10-0 losses killing morale and turning some kids away from the sport

This is the 2nd straight week this team has come in and steamrolled a team. They are from another town (we live in an small town with several other small towns nearby). The teams are supposed to be chosen at random, but this particular town is known for choosing their A, B, and C teams. They could just as easily play in the bigger cities league, but they use ours as a "confidence booster" for their kids.

My daughter is very competitive, and fast, but not good at soccer yet. She couldn't keep up with anyone on that team. After the game, she was so disheartened because she thought she played poorly. It really killed her desire to play next week and in the future.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:47 am

Derwood wrote:
CubinNY wrote:A couple of years ago my kids (then 4 and 5) played in an upward soccer league. Each team is supposed to sub regularly and move players around to other positions.They played a team that had a kid on it who was so far beyond all the other kids in terms of ability. Their coach (his dad) left him in the game the entire time and he basically just ran and scored goals. It was stupid and embarrassing for the guy and his kid. All the kids on our team basically just stopped playing. The poor little girl who was the goal keeper just stood there. I've never seen anything like it. It was like that Will Farrell movie.

Last spring my daughter was in rec-league softball and one team had a) the best pitcher (by far) in the league and b) a crazy woman for a coach who was ruthless and also did I mention crazy

So the rule was that the same girl couldn't pitch more than 2 consecutive innings, but she would always start this star pitcher in the 1st, 2nd and 4th innings, no matter the score. If her team was winning 12-0, out would come Cy Young to mow your team down. Then, while her girls were hitting, she'd stand behind the backstop and harass the umpire (who was often a 14 year old boy) about the strike zone he was calling.

I was that 14yo ump once. That was fun.
0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:19 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
bukie wrote:
Derwood wrote:

Keeping score is for the sake of the parents.

Unfortunately, in our small town it almost always plays out where there are 4 teams: one wins every game, the second beats the other 2 teams, the third team only beats the 4th team and the 4th team loses every game.

I've coached a lot of youth sports teams and, over the years, I've had teams across the spectrum. I hate having a stacked team. It's no fun for anyone involved except a couple parents that are typically terrible people. Having the team that goes 0 for the season is no fun for the 1-2 kids that actually care who wins.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:25 pm

biittner77 wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
bukie wrote:This is part of why it's important to keep score at young ages. Learning that losing is a thing that happens and doesn't mean the game isn't worth playing.

Keeping score is for the sake of the parents.

Unfortunately, in our small town it almost always plays out where there are 4 teams: one wins every game, the second beats the other 2 teams, the third team only beats the 4th team and the 4th team loses every game.

I've coached a lot of youth sports teams and, over the years, I've had teams across the spectrum. I hate having a stacked team. It's no fun for anyone involved except a couple parents that are typically terrible people. Having the team that goes 0 for the season is no fun for the 1-2 kids that actually care who wins.

our games start tomorrow for 2nd season. I managed to just be a helper last year but I think the coach this year over extended himself with older kids traveling team and I'm going to get suckered into coaching a sport I only played begrudgingly as a child and know next to nothing about. Last year's team had one awesome boy, a couple lost kids and mostly just fine participants. Thankfully my daughter was in the just fine group. They managed to win probably half the games and it was fun for her.

Parents who obsess over keeping score, making sure there is a winner/loser and no participation trophy probably have a warped sense of what sports were like when they were 6/7/8. It's not until 9/10/11 when real winning and losing matters.
0 x

NewUserName
5-Time All-Star

Postby NewUserName » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:28 pm

Kids keep score just fine without a scoreboard. So not keeping score is pretending something didn't happen that did happen. Keep score, part of coaching is how to react to the score. I would just suggest that in younger kids you minimize the importance of winning, so the disappointment of losing isn't so great.
0 x
“There are 2,000 verses of Scripture that call upon us to respond to the needs of the poor. And yet, I find that when Christians talked about values in this last election that was not on the agenda, that was not a concern. ”-Tony Campolo

Splendid Splinter
All-Star

Postby Splendid Splinter » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:32 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:Parents who obsess over keeping score, making sure there is a winner/loser and no participation trophy probably have a warped sense of what sports were like when they were 6/7/8. It's not until 9/10/11 when real winning and losing matters.

You guys had that when you were kids? I've never gotten a participation trophy/ribbon/etc except for little grid iron football (5th/6th grade). We didn't have those in baseball or basketball back when I was in elementary school and even junior high.
Last edited by Splendid Splinter on Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:42 am

Splendid Splinter wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:Parents who obsess over keeping score, making sure there is a winner/loser and no participation trophy probably have a warped sense of what sports were like when they were 6/7/8. It's not until 9/10/11 when real winning and losing matters.

You guys had that when you were kids? I've never gotten a participation trophy/ribbon/etc except for little grid iron football (5th/6th grade) back when I was in elementary school and even junior high. We didn't have those in baseball or basketball.
so you didn't have those except when you did, at ten years old.

I got some sort of participation thing in instructional baseball, at 6 or 7. That was the 80's. Every parent of young kids now got those things when they were younger but play the trump supporter now and cry for when things were better.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:32 pm

We had participation stuff all the time as kids. It's hilarious when people act like that's a some new thing. Or some awful thing.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:37 pm

Banedon wrote:We had participation stuff all the time as kids. It's hilarious when people act like that's a some new thing. Or some awful thing.

Yeah, there were nonstop participation trophies and ribbons and horsefeathers 30 years ago; hell, that's basically all I had since I was on nothing but garbage teams that were just a collection of kids goofier and more awkward even than I was. And not for a second did it somehow coddle me or trick me into whatever the horsefeathers these bizarre anti-participation trophy-types think they do. At best, it was a reminder of being on a team with friends and having a good time, and at worst a reminder of being on a team you had no desire to be on because we sucked and there were better things to be doing. Who gives a horsefeathers if a kid gets a trophy? Quit being a dick parent. A dad who doesn't want to give his kid a trophy unless he's the best at something probably wishes he could beat the horsefeathers out of him in public when he loses, too.
2 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:40 pm

Pushfrog98 wrote:I feel this is beyond "soccer" as a thread and carries over to any youth sports, hence the new thread.

In a 1st/2nd grade co-ed instructional soccer league, at what score should the winning team start backing it off?

For instance: Team A is up by at least 10-0 at half. They play 4x12 minute quarters.
Team A is probably 10:5 boys:girls, and all look to be huge 2nd graders.
Team B is 10:5 girls:boys, and almost all 1st graders.

Entering the 3rd period, should team A:

A) Keep your foot on the throttle
B) Ease up a bit
C) other

how the hell did that boy/girl ratio and age/size disparity even happen in the first place?

sidenote: i do not have kids and have no idea how these teams are put together
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:43 pm

Pushfrog98 wrote:
Derwood wrote:
bukie wrote:Because it's not a practice and kids need to learn that winning and losing is part of the game.

This is the 2nd straight week this team has come in and steamrolled a team. They are from another town (we live in an small town with several other small towns nearby). The teams are supposed to be chosen at random, but this particular town is known for choosing their A, B, and C teams. They could just as easily play in the bigger cities league, but they use ours as a "confidence booster" for their kids.

My daughter is very competitive, and fast, but not good at soccer yet. She couldn't keep up with anyone on that team. After the game, she was so disheartened because she thought she played poorly. It really killed her desire to play next week and in the future.

sidenote 2: i should've read more
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Pushfrog98
All-Star

Postby Pushfrog98 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:33 pm

David wrote:
Pushfrog98 wrote:
Derwood wrote:

sidenote 2: i should've read more

No worries. We played that town's "B-team" today and "won" 2-1. It was a great competitive match, and after the game, all the players talked with each other and were very friendly. I talked with a parent from that team and she said that the team we played last week is well-known for their asshattery.
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”