General Other Sports Chit-Chat Thread

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Re: General Other Sports Chit-Chat Thread

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:05 pm

Banedon wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:my mom steered me away from football when i was a kid, and then i got a nasty concussion playing hockey.

Well yeah, hockey isn't far off from football.

Concussion rates by sport per 100,000 "atheletic exposures":

Football: 64 -76.8
Boys' ice hockey: 54
Girl's soccer: 33
Boys' lacrosse: 40 - 46.6
Girls' lacrosse: 31 - 35
Boys' soccer: 19 - 19.2
Boys' wrestling: 22 - 23.9
Girls' basketball: 18.6 - 21
Girls' softball: 16 - 16.3
Boys' basketball: 16 - 21.2
Girls' field hockey: 22 - 24.9
Cheerleading: 11.5 to 14
Girls' volleyball: 6 - 8.6
Boys' baseball: Between 4.6 - 5
Girls' gymnastics: 7

http://www.headcasecompany.com/concussi ... ons_sports

It's kinda interesting to me that girls' soccer is so much higher than boy's soccer.

What the heck is going on in girls softball?! 4x the rate of baseball.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:14 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:What the heck is going on in girls softball?! 4x the rate of baseball.

The reasons the concussion rates are consistently higher for girls than boys in same sports are unclear, but one reason, says Dr. Cantu, may be anatomical: girls may be at higher risk prone to concussions because their heads are smaller (one study of collegiate soccer players found that females had 26% less total mass in their head and neck than males) and/or because their neck muscles are less developed than boys and not as good as boys at absorbing shock of impact.

Read more: http://www.momsteam.com/health-safety/c ... z4W7fHE5Y2
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:21 pm

Banedon wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:What the heck is going on in girls softball?! 4x the rate of baseball.

The reasons the concussion rates are consistently higher for girls than boys in same sports are unclear, but one reason, says Dr. Cantu, may be anatomical: girls may be at higher risk prone to concussions because their heads are smaller (one study of collegiate soccer players found that females had 26% less total mass in their head and neck than males) and/or because their neck muscles are less developed than boys and not as good as boys at absorbing shock of impact.

Yea I assumed the overall rate was higher for physical reasons, but that doesnt explain how a low contact sport like softball is rivaling higher contact sports like basketball and soccer is kind of weird.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:41 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:Yea I assumed the overall rate was higher for physical reasons, but that doesnt explain how a low contact sport like softball is rivaling higher contact sports like basketball and soccer is kind of weird.

small field, short distances between bases, not a lot of room to maneuver and a whole lot of bang bang infield plays may play a part.
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:44 pm

Banedon wrote:

Ron Burgundy approves

0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

mul21
5-Time All-Star

Postby mul21 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:41 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:Yea I assumed the overall rate was higher for physical reasons, but that doesnt explain how a low contact sport like softball is rivaling higher contact sports like basketball and soccer is kind of weird.

small field, short distances between bases, not a lot of room to maneuver and a whole lot of bang bang infield plays may play a part.

That's exactly the reason I was going to mention. Everything is so much closer than baseball that the likelihood of getting hit in general is higher and then factor in the head mass/neck muscles and you have your answer.
0 x
I like beer.

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:54 pm

mul21 wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

That's exactly the reason I was going to mention. Everything is so much closer than baseball that the likelihood of getting hit in general is higher and then factor in the head mass/neck muscles and you have your answer.

It makes sense, but is still suprising. If we look at the increase in other sports between men and women and strike it up soley to physical differences, that still leaves a 2-3× increase of collisions because of the closeness of play and other issues noted.
0 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:04 pm

a bit tangential probably, but girls are also much more likely to tear their ACL than boys. i know this because an ex tore her ACL and MCL as a cheerleader in high school and looked into some of the stats. I don't feel like looking it up but I want to say that girls cheerleaders are actually a really, really high injury risk in general? This article delves into the ACL stuff and while I know nothing of the source, it seems to be well cited
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:08 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:It makes sense, but is still suprising. If we look at the increase in other sports between men and women and strike it up soley to physical differences, that still leaves a 2-3× increase of collisions because of the closeness of play and other issues noted.

one theory I've always had is the helmet provides a false sense of security. Football players use it like a weapon, which is dumb. But the baseball helmet is barely a thing, it really doesn't do much but provide minimal protection from a pitched ball, and players aren't going to go crazy thinking they are protected from it. The softball helmet is like a baseball/football helmet hybrid and it may give some players a false sense of security to play with reckless abandon with regards to their head. Combine that with shorter base paths and shorter infield plays and more opportunity for quick contact and that's why it's exponentially more dangerous.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:12 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:It makes sense, but is still suprising. If we look at the increase in other sports between men and women and strike it up soley to physical differences, that still leaves a 2-3× increase of collisions because of the closeness of play and other issues noted.

one theory I've always had is the helmet provides a false sense of security. Football players use it like a weapon, which is dumb. But the baseball helmet is barely a thing, it really doesn't do much but provide minimal protection from a pitched ball, and players aren't going to go crazy thinking they are protected from it. The softball helmet is like a baseball/football helmet hybrid and it may give some players a false sense of security to play with reckless abandon with regards to their head. Combine that with shorter base paths and shorter infield plays and more opportunity for quick contact and that's why it's exponentially more dangerous.

Wasn't thinking of the facemask and stuff. Yea, those softball helmets are overkill.

Side note, my niece played rec league sodtball - which was awful to watch- no one could field AND they were allowed to steal, so the average 6 inning game looked like a high scoring football game. But my niece's team all wore facemasks in the field (no head protection just a facemask with an elastic band). Now safety is great and all, but there was probably one girl out of 20 who could hit the ball past the dirt. I think the "LF", standimg right next to the SS, was gonna be okay. On the other team, only the pitcher wore this facemask.
Last edited by WrigleyField 22 on Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

woodchip2153
All-Star

Postby woodchip2153 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:14 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:

I would think since a lot of players slap hit, there might be more foul tips into the catchers mask too.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:16 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

Wasn't thinking of the facemask and stuff. Yea, those softball helmets are overkill.

I'm not sure about them being overkill. The pitched softball comes in to the batter at a equivalent rate to 100 mph baseballs from 60', and it's bigger and coming in from a low to high trajectory.
0 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:29 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

Side note, my niece played rec league sodtball - which was awful to watch- no one could field AND they were allowed to steal, so the average 6 inning game looked like a high scoring football game. But my niece's team all wore facemasks in the field (no head protection just a facemask with an elastic band). Now safety is great and all, but there was probably one girl out of 20 who could hit the ball past the dirt. I think the "LF", standimg right next to the SS, was gonna be okay. On the other team, only the pitcher wore this facemask.

I cover high school softball a lot and even the really good teams don't have anyone that can hit the ball hard enough to hit an infielder in the head. That ball, at that size, is just not going to go that fast unless Barry Bonds or someone is taking a whack.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:58 am

Andy wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:one theory I've always had is the helmet provides a false sense of security. Football players use it like a weapon, which is dumb. But the baseball helmet is barely a thing, it really doesn't do much but provide minimal protection from a pitched ball, and players aren't going to go crazy thinking they are protected from it. The softball helmet is like a baseball/football helmet hybrid and it may give some players a false sense of security to play with reckless abandon with regards to their head. Combine that with shorter base paths and shorter infield plays and more opportunity for quick contact and that's why it's exponentially more dangerous.

I cover high school softball a lot and even the really good teams don't have anyone that can hit the ball hard enough to hit an infielder in the head. That ball, at that size, is just not going to go that fast unless Barry Bonds or someone is taking a whack.

Lol, what? I've seen way too many girls get hit by line drives. it's why so many of them wear masks on the infield. my god, I saw a pitcher take one off the forehead this past season that the left fielder had to go back to damn near the warning track to pick up
0 x

Splendid Splinter
All-Star

Postby Splendid Splinter » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:21 am

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:
Andy wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:Wasn't thinking of the facemask and stuff. Yea, those softball helmets are overkill.

Lol, what? I've seen way too many girls get hit by line drives. it's why so many of them wear masks on the infield. my god, I saw a pitcher take one off the forehead this past season that the left fielder had to go back to damn near the warning track to pick up

Yep pretty much. I've seen a bunch of line drives when I watched the softball team when I was in HS. I got proof in my high school yearbook when my cousin won the prettiest eye in our class senior year. She broke her orbital bone (or whatever it's called) a week before she had to take the pic. She took a line drive and had no chance to even react to it.
0 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:38 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:
Andy wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:Wasn't thinking of the facemask and stuff. Yea, those softball helmets are overkill.

Apparently I cover worse teams than I thought.
0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:26 pm

Great moments in U10 soccer.

It's the playoffs and we're tied when one of my players gets called for a handball with 30 seconds left in the game. The free kick from 10 feet goes in and we lose. All I can think about is "Cool, now we don't have to stick around for another hour on this beautiful day when it's 70 degrees outside in February." The mother of the kid who got called for the handball came up afterwards to apologize to me and I felt like saying to her son "You're 7 years old. Anybody that gives you any blame for that is a horsefeathering horsefeathers." Instead I told him to forget about, that he'd have plenty of soccer games left in the future.
1 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:39 pm

3 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:42 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:

I mean to be fair, that assault didn't actually break her leg.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:40 pm

no idea where the post this, but this is horrifying. my stomach sank as i read the headline.

0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

MarkR
Starter

Postby MarkR » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:44 pm

I have two kids (5 and 4). That gives me nightmares to think about. Just a horrifying tragedy.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:01 pm

David wrote:no idea where the post this, but this is horrifying. my stomach sank as i read the headline.

Jesus Christ.
0 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:07 pm

that's one of those stories where even if it happened, i would have just preferred to bury my head in the sand and not even know about it. i cannot imagine :(
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:35 pm

this is worth a read

2 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:27 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:this is worth a read

Is it just me, or is this what Cam from Modern Family looked like in his playing days. I already know I'm a terrible person for thinking this.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Return to “Other Sports”