General Other Sports Chit-Chat Thread

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: General Other Sports Chit-Chat Thread

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:30 pm

Watching 9 year olds play tackle football (dumb), team makes a stop on first drive, scored TD on 2nd play, converts 2pt, recovers onside kick and scores 2 plays later. This is so dumb.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:11 pm

35-0 start of 2nd, 3rd injury timeout
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Pushfrog98
All-Star

Postby Pushfrog98 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:51 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:Watching 9 year olds play tackle football (dumb), team makes a stop on first drive, scored TD on 2nd play, converts 2pt, recovers onside kick and scores 2 plays later. This is so dumb.

That's ridiculous! I don't get tackle football at that age, though.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:17 pm

Pushfrog98 wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:Watching 9 year olds play tackle football (dumb), team makes a stop on first drive, scored TD on 2nd play, converts 2pt, recovers onside kick and scores 2 plays later. This is so dumb.

Yeah, my bro in law had his son in football at like 7. Absurd.
0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:28 pm

The World Cup of hockey is just sort of weird. Team North America's logo looks like some kind of neo fascist emblem. The whole set up seems like a thinly veiled attempt to assure a Canadian victory- as if that was ever in doubt anyway. Why would anyone want to play for team Europe?
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:36 pm

I thought the us beat Canada like 2 weeks ago but that must have been prelims and I really could not care less about this event.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:40 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:I thought the us beat Canada like 2 weeks ago but that must have been prelims and I really could not care less about this event.

Seriously, hockey twitter keeps trying to make this seem like a big deal and who cares.
0 x

wvcbxl
5-Time All-Star

Postby wvcbxl » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:48 pm

Banedon wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:I thought the us beat Canada like 2 weeks ago but that must have been prelims and I really could not care less about this event.

Seriously, hockey twitter keeps trying to make this seem like a big deal and who cares.

Field hockey is a fine sport.
This event should have clarified they were talking about the "ice" version.
0 x
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits. - Satchel Paige.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:50 pm

wvcbxl wrote:
Banedon wrote:

I tried watching some field hockey during the olympics...that was just weird.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:04 pm

The locals here are pissed about this World Cup because John Tortorella is spending his time and energy on the US Team and not on the Jackets
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:08 pm

Derwood wrote:The locals here are pissed about this World Cup because John Tortorella is spending his time and energy on the US Team and not on the Jackets

I thought Ohio had patriots, not commies.
0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:50 pm

Banedon wrote:
wvcbxl wrote:
Banedon wrote:

Field Hockey is tough to follow since the rules are often counterintuitive to other sports. For example, a player cannot put their body between the ball and an opposing player (like the way you box out in basketball). Every year, they either change or add 5 new rules. It makes it a nightmare to ref since most of the people watching don't have a really good grasp of the rules but still feel like they know enough to bitch about every call.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:11 pm

biittner77 wrote:
Banedon wrote:
wvcbxl wrote:

Field Hockey is tough to follow since the rules are often counterintuitive to other sports. For example, a player cannot put their body between the ball and an opposing player (like the way you box out in basketball). Every year, they either change or add 5 new rules. It makes it a nightmare to ref since most of the people watching don't have a really good grasp of the rules but still feel like they know enough to bitch about every call.

I mean, it's not as weird as handball, so it's got that going for it.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:36 pm

Banedon wrote:
biittner77 wrote:
Banedon wrote:

I demand wallball be made an Olympic sport.
0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:45 pm

Banedon wrote:
biittner77 wrote:
Banedon wrote:

It's actually a lot of fun to play. It's not as weird as Irish Curling or whatever they call that insane sport where they kill each with sticks.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:52 pm

biittner77 wrote:
Banedon wrote:
biittner77 wrote:

It's actually a lot of fun to play. It's not as weird as Irish Curling or whatever they call that insane sport where they kill each with sticks.

Yeah, lots of weird looking stuff is a blast to actually play. I fully recognize I'm mocking things I don't understand here.

I've been known to play in a disc golf league from time to time, so I have no room to talk.
0 x

wvcbxl
5-Time All-Star

Postby wvcbxl » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:02 am

biittner77 wrote:
Banedon wrote:
biittner77 wrote:

I think you mean hurling :wink:
0 x
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits. - Satchel Paige.

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:25 pm

wvcbxl wrote:
biittner77 wrote:
Banedon wrote:

I think you mean hurling :wink:

0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:17 pm

Team USA ends the tournament with a thud.
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:27 am

biittner77 wrote:Team USA ends the tournament with a thud.

did anybody on the blackhawks get hurt? no? great tournament!
1 x

NewUserName
5-Time All-Star

Postby NewUserName » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:25 pm

Banedon wrote:
Pushfrog98 wrote:

Yeah, my bro in law had his son in football at like 7. Absurd.
I coach 7th and 8th graders. I am 50/50 on tackling at this age. Usually the team with the fastest players win because the field is too big for them.

But what really burns me up is that most teams will have 1 kid carry the ball 25 times a game, then have him play defense and be in most of the tackles. All so they can win a stupid youth football game. No concern about his long term health or the long term development of his teammates. Yeah, we win because Johnny kicks butt!!

But what really really burns me is that I am different and get most of my kids involved. And of course that is not conductive to winning at this age. But almost all of my kids keep coming out. I have parents who get mad at me because we don't win enough. It's Youth Football!! Quit worrying about the winning and worry about the progress
0 x
“There are 2,000 verses of Scripture that call upon us to respond to the needs of the poor. And yet, I find that when Christians talked about values in this last election that was not on the agenda, that was not a concern. ”-Tony Campolo

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:15 pm

17 Seconds wrote:

In that respect, Team Europe winning means that the only Hawks left that will actually play are Toews and Hossa. It's too bad that the finals are best of 3 since team Europe could conceivably beat the Canadas once. Not likely but than neither was the miracle on ice. zero chance Europe can beat the Canadas twice.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:11 pm

17 Seconds wrote:

0 x

philosophizer75
Starter

Postby philosophizer75 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:26 pm

I've loved football since I could walk, but my dad wouldn't let me play until junior high. He told me that the coaches before then will just teach you bad habits and the injury risk isn't worth the marginal headstart on football skills.

I played soccer and baseball instead until I was in 7th grade, then switched to football and baseball. I was pretty good at whatever sport I tried, so I can't say for certain that the parent imposed delay was good for me, but I was an honorable mention all-state offensive lineman in Pennsylvania by my junior year of HS and second team all-state my senior year.

There's really no reason for kids under the age of 12 to be playing tackle football, but in my opinion, by junior high the kids should be developed enough to be tackling.

You're right though, it is a shame when coaches just use their best athlete as a work horse in any football level below high school.
0 x
\:D/ wubalubaCUBCUB! \:D/

When Schwarber wins the WS with a big fat dong and uses his bat to club to death every player on the other team and half their fans, I expect every one of these talking heads to defend him. -yanrslatr

abmillis
All-Star

Postby abmillis » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:46 pm

philosophizer75 wrote:I've loved football since I could walk, but my dad wouldn't let me play until junior high. He told me that the coaches before then will just teach you bad habits and the injury risk isn't worth the marginal headstart on football skills.

I played soccer and baseball instead until I was in 7th grade, then switched to football and baseball. I was pretty good at whatever sport I tried, so I can't say for certain that the parent imposed delay was good for me, but I was an honorable mention all-state offensive lineman in Pennsylvania by my junior year of HS and second team all-state my senior year.

There's really no reason for kids under the age of 12 to be playing tackle football, but in my opinion, by junior high the kids should be developed enough to be tackling.

You're right though, it is a shame when coaches just use their best athlete as a work horse in any football level below high school.

My reasoning wasn't parent-imposed, but I too played football in HS (thought not as successfully as you, I did earn 3 varsity letters and was a full-time starter for 2 years on decent teams) after only starting to play in 7th grade. I started playing because my HS did not offer soccer and I wanted to play a fall sport. I agree that the head start in skills is not worth the physical risk. In all honesty, I would be a little relieved if my son never wanted to play, but I certainly won't let him until 6th or 7th grade at the earliest.
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”