General Other Sports Chit-Chat Thread

biittner77
Superstar

Re: General Other Sports Chit-Chat Thread

Postby biittner77 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:14 pm

Here's a new spin on the crazy parents story.

I've been coaching field hockey at the HS level for 6 years now at the school where I teach. Last year, my daughter entered 9th grade and played for her school which is not the school that I coach/ teach at. At the end of last season, her coach asked me if I wanted to coach at my daughter's school and I said yes. I wouldn't go so far to say that I regret that decision but it seems to have come at a price.

The head coach has 2 daughters on the team. One is the goalie, the other is the best all around player on the team. The assistant coach from last year has a daughter on the team that is probably our second best player on the team. Her mother, the assistant coach is crazy. All three of these girls play on a local travel team. They're all chasing scholarships which is tough in field hockey since the sport, while it is growing, is still pretty much an east coast thing. There are schools like Iowa, Indiana and Michigan that have programs but quite a few of their players don't get full scholarships. Bigger programs like Maryland do a lot of their recruiting overseas. To give an example, I had a player a few years back that was the regional defensive player of the year who wasn't offered any scholarships.

So what it comes down to is that there's a lot of jealousy between crazy assistant coach and her equally crazy daughter and the head coach who is less openly crazy but still makes some "poke the bear" type decisions. Before the season, the coach asked me who should be captains. This team has 2 seniors, 1 junior, 9 sophomores and 4 freshmen. Crazy asst. daughter is a sophomore as is the coaches best player on the team daughter. The goalie, her other daughter, is a junior. I told her I'd make the 2 seniors captains and just have 2 this year. She said she has always had 4. I told her to have the team vote and they voted the 2 seniors and her 2 daughters to be captains. This hasn't sat well with crazy mother or her daughter.

The other day at practice the coach asked me if I can run practice Friday because she and crazy coach have a meeting with the athletic Director. I can't say for sure but I think that crazy coach is going to accuse the head coach of doctoring the stats in favor of her daughter. My daughter told me yesterday that crazy daughter is saying that coaches daughter is getting credit for assists on any goal that we can't tell who, if anyone, set up the goal. For the life of me, I can't figure out what crazy coach is trying to accomplish.

The scary thing is this is the short version of all the drama we've had this season- a season where we are currently unbeaten.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Pushfrog98
All-Star

Postby Pushfrog98 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:14 pm

biittner77 wrote:Here's a new spin on the crazy parents story.

I've been coaching field hockey at the HS level for 6 years now at the school where I teach. Last year, my daughter entered 9th grade and played for her school which is not the school that I coach/ teach at. At the end of last season, her coach asked me if I wanted to coach at my daughter's school and I said yes. I wouldn't go so far to say that I regret that decision but it seems to have come at a price.

The head coach has 2 daughters on the team. One is the goalie, the other is the best all around player on the team. The assistant coach from last year has a daughter on the team that is probably our second best player on the team. Her mother, the assistant coach is crazy. All three of these girls play on a local travel team. They're all chasing scholarships which is tough in field hockey since the sport, while it is growing, is still pretty much an east coast thing. There are schools like Iowa, Indiana and Michigan that have programs but quite a few of their players don't get full scholarships. Bigger programs like Maryland do a lot of their recruiting overseas. To give an example, I had a player a few years back that was the regional defensive player of the year who wasn't offered any scholarships.

So what it comes down to is that there's a lot of jealousy between crazy assistant coach and her equally crazy daughter and the head coach who is less openly crazy but still makes some "poke the bear" type decisions. Before the season, the coach asked me who should be captains. This team has 2 seniors, 1 junior, 9 sophomores and 4 freshmen. Crazy asst. daughter is a sophomore as is the coaches best player on the team daughter. The goalie, her other daughter, is a junior. I told her I'd make the 2 seniors captains and just have 2 this year. She said she has always had 4. I told her to have the team vote and they voted the 2 seniors and her 2 daughters to be captains. This hasn't sat well with crazy mother or her daughter.

The other day at practice the coach asked me if I can run practice Friday because she and crazy coach have a meeting with the athletic Director. I can't say for sure but I think that crazy coach is going to accuse the head coach of doctoring the stats in favor of her daughter. My daughter told me yesterday that crazy daughter is saying that coaches daughter is getting credit for assists on any goal that we can't tell who, if anyone, set up the goal. For the life of me, I can't figure out what crazy coach is trying to accomplish.

The scary thing is this is the short version of all the drama we've had this season- a season where we are currently unbeaten.

Uggg... That just sounds mentally exhausting to have to deal with. Any chance you can go back to your original school?
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:14 pm

0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:44 am

Pushfrog98 wrote:
biittner77 wrote:Here's a new spin on the crazy parents story.

Uggg... That just sounds mentally exhausting to have to deal with. Any chance you can go back to your original school?

Season ended today. We wound up finishing the season 11-2-1 allowing 6 only goals or the entire season. Crazy parent got her meeting and everyone sort of sat there wondering why they were there. The coach's goalie daughter was named as the conference player of the year which probably stings for crazy assistant.

As much as all the drama sucked, it was a fun being able to coach my daughter again. It was especially satisfying since my daughter didn't get to play much as a freshman but started every game this season.
1 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:55 am

So kind of crazy story in Illinois HS football has been going on this week. Fenwick and Plainfield North played the 7A State semifinal game last Saturday. In the waining seconds of the game, Fenwick was up 3 on 4th down in their own terrritory. They decided to run an intentional grounding play to run out the clock by just heaving the ball downfield. This should have ended the game as the clock ran down to zero by the end of the throw. The refs conversed for 5-10 minutes and awarded Plainfield a untimed play, which they used to kick a game tying field goal. Plainfield went on to win in OT and advance to the State Championship game. The IHSA issues a statement admitting the call was incorrect and apologizing, but wont overturn the game due to a bylaw which states the officials rulings are final. Fenwick first attempted an official appeal to the IHSA which was not heard. Now they have filed a lawsuit against the IHSA.

Needless to say its caused a bit of controversey, with even major media personalities like Kaplan weighing in, saying Plainfield should step aside and allow Fenwick to play in the State Championship.

Obviously a lot going on. First off, from a strategy perspective, I don't think that was the best clock killer (hold like hell and run around for a few seconds, for one). Then you add in the lawsuit and the stakes of the chance to play in a state title game.

Curious to see what people think. Every sports fan has bitched about officiating at some point, but this is one of the rare times an official can legitimately be said decided the outcome.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:11 am

Was the call incorrect because it wasn't grounding, or was it incorrect because it shouldn't have given the opponent an untimed down?
0 x

bd811
All-Star

Postby bd811 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:24 am

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Was the call incorrect because it wasn't grounding, or was it incorrect because it shouldn't have given the opponent an untimed down?

The latter, as I understand it.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:38 am

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Was the call incorrect because it wasn't grounding, or was it incorrect because it shouldn't have given the opponent an untimed down?

Shouldn't have been an untimed down

Eta - the official wording

Rule 3 Section 3 Article 4:

A period shall not be extended by an untimed down if one of the following occurred during a down in which time expires:

b. There was a foul by either team and the penalty is accepted for:
3. fouls that include loss of down (such as intentional grounding)
0 x

CubColtPacer
Superstar

Postby CubColtPacer » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:19 am

It's strange that it happened this year after the exact same situation happened in college earlier this year (Oklahoma State-Central Michigan). If OK State upsets Oklahoma, it might be the difference between them making the playoff or not.

I tend to be in favor of overturning a case like this where the refs simply did not know the rule. But I understand the slippery slope argument that football rules are complicated enough that it could lead to at least a few times per year where lesser things were challenged for the same reason. Obviously this rule was missed twice in the same year for example.
0 x

SpongeWorthy
Superstar

Postby SpongeWorthy » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:18 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:So kind of crazy story in Illinois HS football has been going on this week. Fenwick and Plainfield North played the 7A State semifinal game last Saturday. In the waining seconds of the game, Fenwick was up 3 on 4th down in their own terrritory. They decided to run an intentional grounding play to run out the clock by just heaving the ball downfield. This should have ended the game as the clock ran down to zero by the end of the throw. The refs conversed for 5-10 minutes and awarded Plainfield a untimed play, which they used to kick a game tying field goal. Plainfield went on to win in OT and advance to the State Championship game. The IHSA issues a statement admitting the call was incorrect and apologizing, but wont overturn the game due to a bylaw which states the officials rulings are final. Fenwick first attempted an official appeal to the IHSA which was not heard. Now they have filed a lawsuit against the IHSA.

Needless to say its caused a bit of controversey, with even major media personalities like Kaplan weighing in, saying Plainfield should step aside and allow Fenwick to play in the State Championship.

Obviously a lot going on. First off, from a strategy perspective, I don't think that was the best clock killer (hold like hell and run around for a few seconds, for one). Then you add in the lawsuit and the stakes of the chance to play in a state title game.

Curious to see what people think. Every sports fan has bitched about officiating at some point, but this is one of the rare times an official can legitimately be said decided the outcome.

i had an awful drive into las vegas today and i figured the best way to kill time was to download today's episodes of carmen and jurko and waddle and silvy and this is pretty much all they talked about. i find the story oddly riveting.

at first i thought "oh that sucks for fenwick but tough horsefeathers" but then someone read on air the bylaw you're talking about and one could argue that the game was over and the refs screw up created a play (plainfield's untimed down) that should've never existed. you do some mental gymnastics from that perspective and overturning the game doesn't violate the bylaw because the refs had no power to "rule" in favor of plainfield in the first place.

idk it made more sense in my head

edit: it was also pretty hilarious that @thekapman insisted if he were a plainfield player/parent he would "100%" do the right thing and insist that fenwick goes to the state championship.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:44 pm

CubColtPacer wrote:It's strange that it happened this year after the exact same situation happened in college earlier this year (Oklahoma State-Central Michigan). If OK State upsets Oklahoma, it might be the difference between them making the playoff or not.

I tend to be in favor of overturning a case like this where the refs simply did not know the rule. But I understand the slippery slope argument that football rules are complicated enough that it could lead to at least a few times per year where lesser things were challenged for the same reason. Obviously this rule was missed twice in the same year for example.

I follow a IL HS football message board and a guy on the board who refs said this one gets covered all the time in training too, and was reemphasized after OK St CMU. They definitely should have known. Fwiw those refs were supposed to red the 3A title game and are no longer doing so.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:53 pm

SpongeWorthy wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:So kind of crazy story in Illinois HS football has been going on this week. Fenwick and Plainfield North played the 7A State semifinal game last Saturday. In the waining seconds of the game, Fenwick was up 3 on 4th down in their own terrritory. They decided to run an intentional grounding play to run out the clock by just heaving the ball downfield. This should have ended the game as the clock ran down to zero by the end of the throw. The refs conversed for 5-10 minutes and awarded Plainfield a untimed play, which they used to kick a game tying field goal. Plainfield went on to win in OT and advance to the State Championship game. The IHSA issues a statement admitting the call was incorrect and apologizing, but wont overturn the game due to a bylaw which states the officials rulings are final. Fenwick first attempted an official appeal to the IHSA which was not heard. Now they have filed a lawsuit against the IHSA.

i had an awful drive into las vegas today and i figured the best way to kill time was to download today's episodes of carmen and jurko and waddle and silvy and this is pretty much all they talked about. i find the story oddly riveting.

at first i thought "oh that sucks for fenwick but tough horsefeathers" but then someone read on air the bylaw you're talking about and one could argue that the game was over and the refs screw up created a play (plainfield's untimed down) that should've never existed. you do some mental gymnastics from that perspective and overturning the game doesn't violate the bylaw because the refs had no power to "rule" in favor of plainfield in the first place.

idk it made more sense in my head

edit: it was also pretty hilarious that @thekapman insisted if he were a plainfield player/parent he would "100%" do the right thing and insist that fenwick goes to the state championship.

Its a tricky situation. If that extra play is at the end of the second half and the other team loses the game by a FG do they have grounds to appeal too? I'm no fan of slippery slope arguments, and I don't think it would set a precedent for every judgement call to come under review, but its interesting situation. Just sucks it happened at all as the refs really should have known the rule.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:03 pm

The story is getting national...they were talking about it for awhile on Mike and Mike this morning.
0 x
Win it for Fred

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:57 pm

Court rules in favor of IHSA. I feel bad for everyone involved, its a horsefeathers situation for everyone and I sort of agree with all sides. IHSA would open up a can of worms by changing the outcome of a game based on a ref error. Plainfield North shouldn't have to voluntarily forefit a game that the IHSA determined that they won. And of course Fenwick should absolutely be upset for their kids who actually did win the game and deserve to play a state title game that they would remember for the rest of their lives with pride.

But I think this is probably the best outcome overall as much as I'd like to award the game to Fenwick.
0 x
Win it for Fred

Pushfrog98
All-Star

Postby Pushfrog98 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:32 am

UMFan83 wrote:Court rules in favor of IHSA. I feel bad for everyone involved, its a horsefeathers situation for everyone and I sort of agree with all sides. IHSA would open up a can of worms by changing the outcome of a game based on a ref error. Plainfield North shouldn't have to voluntarily forefit a game that the IHSA determined that they won. And of course Fenwick should absolutely be upset for their kids who actually did win the game and deserve to play a state title game that they would remember for the rest of their lives with pride.

But I think this is probably the best outcome overall as much as I'd like to award the game to Fenwick.

I spoke with someone from Plainfield today, and they said that its just an awkward situation all around.

Regardless, E.St.Louis is probably going to win no matter who they played.
0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:48 pm

Fenwick is kind of a funny name. I believe there's a Christmas story about Fenwick the Elf who is kind of a horsefeathers up. That's all I got.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:32 pm

0 x

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:08 pm

When my son was born. I made a conscious decision to make sure that he doesn't play tackle football growing up, due to growing concerns about concussions and permanent brain damage. After reading this article,

http://www.gq.com/story/the-concussion- ... otball-cte

I regret nothing. The mentality of the sport combined with the physicality of the sport makes it unavoidably dangerous to play, especially for a child.

Other than a complete overhaul of the sport itself, can anything else be done to not destroy people's lives, aside from having the sport go the way of boxing?
0 x
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:24 pm

bukie wrote:When my son was born. I made a conscious decision to make sure that he doesn't play tackle football growing up, due to growing concerns about concussions and permanent brain damage. After reading this article,

I regret nothing. The mentality of the sport combined with the physicality of the sport makes it unavoidably dangerous to play, especially for a child.

Other than a complete overhaul of the sport itself, can anything else be done to not destroy people's lives, aside from having the sport go the way of boxing?

there should be no tackle football with young kids. and sue the horsefeathers out of the people behind jacked up. did you see the quotes about that kid always putting his head down for every contact?

boxing still exists and its more violent form is on the rise for some stupid reason.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:32 pm

my son decided part way through his first flag football season that he was not a fan of the sport and wasn't going to play anymore. I never once asked him to give it another try.
0 x

Splendid Splinter
All-Star

Postby Splendid Splinter » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:34 pm

bukie wrote:When my son was born. I made a conscious decision to make sure that he doesn't play tackle football growing up, due to growing concerns about concussions and permanent brain damage. After reading this article,

Question for everyone... how early does tackle football starts in your area? It's now 7th grade around here. Back when I was in school, it was 5th/6th grade. I guess they scrap that a few years ago.

I don't blame you doing that for your son. My cousin's husband who played for Wisconsin-Whitewater (right before they got amazing) said he won't let his son play football until high school and only if his son can convince him. And as far as I know, he didn't have any concussions or injuries in UW-W, but know buddies that are still feeling the effects.

It's going to be interesting because the son is 3 and he's like 3' tall and 50 lbs or something crazy.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:37 pm

my nephew plays soccer...has played since he was tiny and is now on the tail end of his high school career. he's had at least 1 or 2 concussions.

i don't know horsefeathers about soccer but i've heard anecdotally that they have a decent amount of them from headers and occasionally contact. obviously doesn't have the repetitive sub-concussive hits that are constant in football, though.

is there any data on any long term effects from soccer, given how popular it is for kids?

(i am in no way trying to counter the football is bad argument. football IS bad and i'd never let my kid play)
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:25 pm

David wrote:my nephew plays soccer...has played since he was tiny and is now on the tail end of his high school career. he's had at least 1 or 2 concussions.

i don't know horsefeathers about soccer but i've heard anecdotally that they have a decent amount of them from headers and occasionally contact. obviously doesn't have the repetitive sub-concussive hits that are constant in football, though.

is there any data on any long term effects from soccer, given how popular it is for kids?

(i am in no way trying to counter the football is bad argument. football IS bad and i'd never let my kid play)

My son is 10, and has played in a rec league for years. I think it was 2 seasons ago that they outlawed headers, due to safety concerns. Granted, this is a rec league, and there's a more competitive travel league for these kids and I don't know if the same rules apply or not.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:35 pm

Splendid Splinter wrote:

Question for everyone... how early does tackle football starts in your area? It's now 7th grade around here. Back when I was in school, it was 5th/6th grade. I guess they scrap that a few years ago.

I don't blame you doing that for your son. My cousin's husband who played for Wisconsin-Whitewater (right before they got amazing) said he won't let his son play football until high school and only if his son can convince him. And as far as I know, he didn't have any concussions or injuries in UW-W, but know buddies that are still feeling the effects.

It's going to be interesting because the son is 3 and he's like 3' tall and 50 lbs or something crazy.

I know my nephew played in 6th grade and that was catholic school league. He didnt go back out for 7th grade (hes much more into soccer) Not sure when the pop warner or other leagues start. I started as a 4th grader back in the day, and some kids had started as 3rd graders.

I think I'm in the start in HS boat. I dont want to encourage it for sure. But I honestly still do enjoy following HS football, but will probably have to stop when I have kids to not even give a hint that I'm encouraging it for them.
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:57 pm

I think tackle starts in my area in 6th or 7th grade. At least it did when I was that age ~15 years ago. I'd say there's a good portion of kids in my city though that don't really start playing, or learning, football until they get to HS (there's two Public HS with enrollment that puts them at the highest level in the state and the 2 private schools have a combined team). Suffice to say the football programs in my city are lucky to win 1-2 games a year.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Return to “Other Sports”