General Other Sports Chit-Chat Thread

User avatar
Brian707
All-Star
Posts: 2869
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Algonquin IL
x 657
x 1051

Re: General Other Sports Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Brian707 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:51 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
Derwood wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
The aces only being 96% to win reminds me that a lot of poker odds are not intuitive.


How so? The middle pair of Kings could have put together a flush that would have won the hand.


The odds of putting together a flush using four board cards, or getting 9-K straight with only the K in hand, is apparently 4%. That's higher than it feels like it should be.



Late to the party but there is also a chance the board is a flush or straight by itself. I watched the video, the one pair of Kings was 0% because the Aces held both of the suits the Kings had. The other pair of Kings was 2%. Hence why there was a 2% chance of a chop. The board could also come 3333A for a chop as well, or 4444A, etc. I only saw one other person who had a hand that contained an ace so there was another ace out there for a board of A2345.
0 x

User avatar
Regular Show
All-Star
Posts: 1878
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 10:16 am
Location: Chicago, IL
x 1510
x 532

Re: General Other Sports Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Regular Show » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:01 pm

0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

NonProfitCow
All-Star
Posts: 4530
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:15 am
x 120
x 439

Re: General Other Sports Chit-Chat Thread

Postby NonProfitCow » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:03 pm

Tiger is 6 under through 7 holes today and has a 5 shot lead
0 x

User avatar
Regular Show
All-Star
Posts: 1878
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 10:16 am
Location: Chicago, IL
x 1510
x 532

Re: General Other Sports Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Regular Show » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:00 am







So good and such a dumb mascot.
2 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 66317
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 5028
x 5004

Re: General Other Sports Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Banedon » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:29 pm

Regular Show wrote:So good and such a dumb mascot.


Um, he's a great mascot, blasphemer.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 77408
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 9667
x 12813

Re: General Other Sports Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:15 pm

Yeah, a freaky weirdo muppet mascot should be the gold standard for ALL mascots.
0 x

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6796
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 114
x 1904

Re: General Other Sports Chit-Chat Thread

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:35 pm

0 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 58773
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2362
x 7947

Re: General Other Sports Chit-Chat Thread

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:24 pm

This seems likes a big deal.

1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star
Posts: 3265
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Denver, CO
x 3013
x 1293

Re: General Other Sports Chit-Chat Thread

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:45 pm

I can tell that most everyone here writes off MMA/UFC as redneck fodder, and they might be right, but I can't help myself.

I went to my first UFC fight which was here in Denver and it was pretty great and cool and stuff. It ended with possibly the coolest KO ever with 1 second left in a 5 round fight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crwHiCZjUMI
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

User avatar
TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist
Posts: 32529
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:57 am
x 2206
x 5714
Contact:

Re: General Other Sports Chit-Chat Thread

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:25 pm

here's my UFC deal

* the fans do suck. it's true of every sport but especially ufc
* the fighters are all getting brain damage and by and large are awful people

however, the appeal of watching two dudes face off with an ass-whipping on the line is too much to pass up. I know it's bad but if there's a big fight, im watching. if you lose an NBA/MLB/NFL game, you're just likely vaguely embarrassed on TV. Oh no i missed a tackle/struck out/bricked a 3.

If you lose in the UFC you get knocked unconscious. I dont know why but it's appealing, the idea of being brave enough to risk an ass whipping just to prove you're a better puncher
1 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 68116
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1001
x 1933

Re: General Other Sports Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Derwood » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:31 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:here's my UFC deal

* the fans do suck. it's true of every sport but especially ufc
* the fighters are all getting brain damage and by and large are awful people

however, the appeal of watching two dudes face off with an ass-whipping on the line is too much to pass up. I know it's bad but if there's a big fight, im watching. if you lose an NBA/MLB/NFL game, you're just likely vaguely embarrassed on TV. Oh no i missed a tackle/struck out/bricked a 3.

If you lose in the UFC you get knocked unconscious. I dont know why but it's appealing, the idea of being brave enough to risk an ass whipping just to prove you're a better puncher


The fans are definitely.....something.

Several years ago, I was in Vegas for my friend's bachelor party. We were at some casino (the Aria maybe?) for dinner, and on our way to the restaurant, there was a UFC fighter on the casino floor taking photos with tourists/fans. We saw the guy from the back, and he was sweaty and had clearly just fought. I didn't think much of it until he turned around and half of his face was swollen shut and there was a ton of cotton shoved up his nose to staunch the bleeding. Why do pretty co-eds in cocktail dresses want their photo taken with a guy who was just beaten to a pulp?
0 x

User avatar
TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist
Posts: 32529
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:57 am
x 2206
x 5714
Contact:

Re: General Other Sports Chit-Chat Thread

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:39 pm

Derwood wrote:
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:here's my UFC deal

* the fans do suck. it's true of every sport but especially ufc
* the fighters are all getting brain damage and by and large are awful people

however, the appeal of watching two dudes face off with an ass-whipping on the line is too much to pass up. I know it's bad but if there's a big fight, im watching. if you lose an NBA/MLB/NFL game, you're just likely vaguely embarrassed on TV. Oh no i missed a tackle/struck out/bricked a 3.

If you lose in the UFC you get knocked unconscious. I dont know why but it's appealing, the idea of being brave enough to risk an ass whipping just to prove you're a better puncher


The fans are definitely.....something.

Several years ago, I was in Vegas for my friend's bachelor party. We were at some casino (the Aria maybe?) for dinner, and on our way to the restaurant, there was a UFC fighter on the casino floor taking photos with tourists/fans. We saw the guy from the back, and he was sweaty and had clearly just fought. I didn't think much of it until he turned around and half of his face was swollen shut and there was a ton of cotton shoved up his nose to staunch the bleeding. Why do pretty co-eds in cocktail dresses want their photo taken with a guy who was just beaten to a pulp?


he's a celebrity and an official bad ass? i mean i feel like that's a pretty easy one to decipher
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 58773
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2362
x 7947

Re: General Other Sports Chit-Chat Thread

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:40 pm

Derwood wrote:
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:here's my UFC deal

* the fans do suck. it's true of every sport but especially ufc
* the fighters are all getting brain damage and by and large are awful people

however, the appeal of watching two dudes face off with an ass-whipping on the line is too much to pass up. I know it's bad but if there's a big fight, im watching. if you lose an NBA/MLB/NFL game, you're just likely vaguely embarrassed on TV. Oh no i missed a tackle/struck out/bricked a 3.

If you lose in the UFC you get knocked unconscious. I dont know why but it's appealing, the idea of being brave enough to risk an ass whipping just to prove you're a better puncher


The fans are definitely.....something.

Several years ago, I was in Vegas for my friend's bachelor party. We were at some casino (the Aria maybe?) for dinner, and on our way to the restaurant, there was a UFC fighter on the casino floor taking photos with tourists/fans. We saw the guy from the back, and he was sweaty and had clearly just fought. I didn't think much of it until he turned around and half of his face was swollen shut and there was a ton of cotton shoved up his nose to staunch the bleeding. Why do pretty co-eds in cocktail dresses want their photo taken with a guy who was just beaten to a pulp?

cause they want the d
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star
Posts: 3265
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Denver, CO
x 3013
x 1293

Re: General Other Sports Chit-Chat Thread

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:43 pm

Derwood wrote:
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:here's my UFC deal

* the fans do suck. it's true of every sport but especially ufc
* the fighters are all getting brain damage and by and large are awful people

however, the appeal of watching two dudes face off with an ass-whipping on the line is too much to pass up. I know it's bad but if there's a big fight, im watching. if you lose an NBA/MLB/NFL game, you're just likely vaguely embarrassed on TV. Oh no i missed a tackle/struck out/bricked a 3.

If you lose in the UFC you get knocked unconscious. I dont know why but it's appealing, the idea of being brave enough to risk an ass whipping just to prove you're a better puncher


The fans are definitely.....something.

Several years ago, I was in Vegas for my friend's bachelor party. We were at some casino (the Aria maybe?) for dinner, and on our way to the restaurant, there was a UFC fighter on the casino floor taking photos with tourists/fans. We saw the guy from the back, and he was sweaty and had clearly just fought. I didn't think much of it until he turned around and half of his face was swollen shut and there was a ton of cotton shoved up his nose to staunch the bleeding. Why do pretty co-eds in cocktail dresses want their photo taken with a guy who was just beaten to a pulp?

Because you should have seen the other guy!

I also spent age 8 to age 22 wrestling at a pretty high level, and I've done some jiu jitsu and helped some local fighters with wrestling in their camps, so I enjoy the a lot of the technical aspects of things. I mean, I'm a big fan of a fighter that is considered the most boring fighter around in Ben Askren. Just about any one-on-one sport is something I'm a big fan of. I could actually do without the brutal KOs most of the time, but I'm definitely not a normal fan.

I've been to some local fights and the fans were...horrid. This UFC event actually was MUCH better behaved than what I've seen before. There was even a multiracial gay couple sitting right in front of me, and no one tried to fight them, or even insulted them! Inspiring stuff!
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 68116
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1001
x 1933

Re: General Other Sports Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Derwood » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:11 am

Maybe NSFW

Spoiler: show
0 x

Thunderbolt_47
bench player
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:25 pm
x 1

Re: General Other Sports Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Thunderbolt_47 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:51 am

I don't see that person regretting that tattoo, in any way, or at any moment. At all. It's definitely not something you could find stupid, is it?
Anyway, I don't know how true this is, but I've heard that leftists were using that mascot for their own memes, to turn it into some kind of commie Pepe the Frog. Have you guys ever seen this in the wild?
0 x

User avatar
javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie
Posts: 9090
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:46 pm
Location: Chicago
x 1383
x 568

Re: General Other Sports Chit-Chat Thread

Postby javy knows my name » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:17 pm

Thunderbolt_47 wrote:I don't see that person regretting that tattoo, in any way, or at any moment. At all. It's definitely not something you could find stupid, is it?
Anyway, I don't know how true this is, but I've heard that leftists were using that mascot for their own memes, to turn it into some kind of commie Pepe the Frog. Have you guys ever seen this in the wild?


So you're still here, I see
1 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 58773
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2362
x 7947

Re: General Other Sports Chit-Chat Thread

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:32 pm

People are saying leftists are using gritties
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
cl smooth
All-Star
Posts: 1784
Joined: Thu May 12, 2005 3:59 pm
Location: brooklynnnnnnnnnn
x 2443
x 477

Re: General Other Sports Chit-Chat Thread

Postby cl smooth » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:01 pm

javy knows my name wrote:
Thunderbolt_47 wrote:I don't see that person regretting that tattoo, in any way, or at any moment. At all. It's definitely not something you could find stupid, is it?
Anyway, I don't know how true this is, but I've heard that leftists were using that mascot for their own memes, to turn it into some kind of commie Pepe the Frog. Have you guys ever seen this in the wild?


So you're still here, I see


watch what you say, he's packing:

https://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic ... a#p1223430

Are you guys out of your minds? Promoting hanging people just like that?

I mean, that's an awful lot of hassle to go through, you need a rope, a good tree... Samuel Colt and John Moses Browning didn't work so hard for you to reject their inventions and keep adding unnecessary difficulty into your life, you know?


slight chance that they're not the same person BUT...
1 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 77408
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 9667
x 12813

Re: General Other Sports Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:12 pm

Yeah, it's JUST LIKE the Pepe the Frog thing. Exactly like it. Almost impossible telling them apart. Both sides, amirite?
0 x

Thunderbolt_47
bench player
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:25 pm
x 1

Re: General Other Sports Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Thunderbolt_47 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:31 pm

Okay guys, it's fair, you caught me.

I'm actually a Russian Ph.D student researching today's American society and discussing on several forums about American themes; baseball, guns, US federal and local politics, US football...
Calling it quits for today, I've managed to last for a while without being caught!
0 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 58773
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2362
x 7947

Re: General Other Sports Chit-Chat Thread

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:48 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:you always wonder when a new poster will start to feel his oats


some hold it in longer than others
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

NonProfitCow
All-Star
Posts: 4530
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:15 am
x 120
x 439

Re: General Other Sports Chit-Chat Thread

Postby NonProfitCow » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:50 pm

Thunderbolt_47 wrote:Okay guys, it's fair, you caught me.

I'm actually a Russian Ph.D student researching today's American society and discussing on several forums about American themes; baseball, guns, US federal and local politics, US football...
Calling it quits for today, I've managed to last for a while without being caught!

I'm surprised you made it through that post without a slave joke.
5 x

User avatar
Liam Neeson
All-Star
Posts: 1114
Joined: Sat May 09, 2015 11:21 pm
x 235
x 794

Re: General Other Sports Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Liam Neeson » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:20 pm

Thunderbolt_47 wrote:Okay guys, it's fair, you caught me.

I'm actually a Russian Ph.D student researching today's American society and discussing on several forums about American themes; baseball, guns, US federal and local politics, US football...
Calling it quits for today, I've managed to last for a while without being caught!


But what do you think about pizza?
1 x
Image

User avatar
Brian
Hall of Fame
Posts: 26953
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Chicago
x 35
x 3534
Contact:

Re: General Other Sports Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Brian » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:21 pm

and do you have access to the pee tape?
0 x


Return to “Other Sports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests