Is Szczur Gone & 40-Man Roster Discussion

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Re: Is Szczur Gone & 40-Man Roster Discussion

Postby Bull » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:06 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Bull wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Andreoli is cannon fodder, it's Zagunis who takes up Szczur's mantle as a RH reserve OF

Why put Zagunis on the 40 man before you have to?
You have 4 quality outfielders on the major league team and a Javy Baez that can push 2 more there. The 5th outfielder, Iowa shuttle guy is supposed to be someone who gets no playing time, admittedly more like last year's Kawasaki than Szczur. Unless someone loses a leg again.

You don't have to unless the need arises, because Szczur doesn't really belong on the 25 man. The 40 man roster isn't much of an obstacle anyway, if Szczur isn't around there's an open spot, and Andreoli's presence on the 40 man itself proves that it's not stuffed to the gills with quality that you can't easily find space for someone.

I'm fairly certain Andreoli isn't on the 40 man.
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:37 pm

Bull wrote:
Bull wrote:Why put Zagunis on the 40 man before you have to?
You have 4 quality outfielders on the major league team and a Javy Baez that can push 2 more there. The 5th outfielder, Iowa shuttle guy is supposed to be someone who gets no playing time, admittedly more like last year's Kawasaki than Szczur. Unless someone loses a leg again.

You don't have to unless the need arises, because Szczur doesn't really belong on the 25 man. The 40 man roster isn't much of an obstacle anyway, if Szczur isn't around there's an open spot, and Andreoli's presence on the 40 man itself proves that it's not stuffed to the gills with quality that you can't easily find space for someone.

He is not as the poster on the last page talked about, in fact we've decided not to put him on the 40-man twice and exposed him to the Rule 5 without him being claimed.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:43 am

Bull wrote:
Bull wrote:Why put Zagunis on the 40 man before you have to?

Sorry, I misread the previous posts and didn't double check. In either case the point is the same, there's no shortage of people who could be pulled off the 40 man.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:26 pm

Did the Cubs get an affiliate in New Jersey?
3 x
Win it for Fred

DiceMan4221
All-Star

Postby DiceMan4221 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:52 am

UMFan83 wrote:https://twitter.com/csnmooney/status/845698281132875776

Did the Cubs get an affiliate in New Jersey?

0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -Anonymous

Little Slide Rooter
Formerly West Side Rooter

Postby Little Slide Rooter » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:56 pm

davell wrote:https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/843832735290609664

Something like this is always a possibility, but I think we'd find teams willing to give us more of a Campania type package for him.

I'd say we could get another Eddie Butler or Alec Mills type for him. And as questionable as our post 2017 SP options are, I'd say we should be stocking up on those.
0 x
We won the World Series.

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:40 am

Heard the Maddon comments on La Stella being willing to go to Iowa. Interesting.

It may mean the Cubs will go with just 5 infielders to start the season. It's also possible Maddon is saying that now as a way to improve the team's leverage in a possible trade.
0 x
The Anti-Bartman Moment.

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:30 pm

CubsWin wrote:Heard the Maddon comments on La Stella being willing to go to Iowa. Interesting.

It may mean the Cubs will go with just 5 infielders to start the season. It's also possible Maddon is saying that now as a way to improve the team's leverage in a possible trade.

with 5 ml starter quality infielders, there's just not that many ab's to go around. Think about scenarios when LaStella would have played on this team.

Not many. How often are you going to sit two of Russell, Bryant, Zobrist and Baez?
0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:06 pm

Bull wrote:
CubsWin wrote:Heard the Maddon comments on La Stella being willing to go to Iowa. Interesting.

with 5 ml starter quality infielders, there's just not that many ab's to go around. Think about scenarios when LaStella would have played on this team.

Not many. How often are you going to sit two of Russell, Bryant, Zobrist and Baez?

That's true. However, when would Szczur ever get into the lineup? As a defensive replacement for Schwarber in a game where Jay has been lifted for a PH is about the only scenario I can think of considering the other options available.

Can Seal Boy play SS?
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

JennieGarthAlgar
Starter

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:01 pm

I think you would see Zobrist (or maybe even KB if Joe wants to be cheeky) at SS before TLS but I guess it all depends on the situation and who is available.
0 x

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:04 pm

biittner77 wrote:
Bull wrote:

That's true. However, when would Szczur ever get into the lineup? As a defensive replacement for Schwarber in a game where Jay has been lifted for a PH is about the only scenario I can think of considering the other options available.

Can Seal Boy play SS?

No, he can't. But, being left handed does give him an advantage over Szczur. As does the fact he just a better hitter. Neither is going to get many starts, probably not more than pinch hitting appearances.

Chesny Young
Ian Happ
Jeimer Candelario
Mark Zagunis
John Andreoli

Realistically, both are probably goners after this season anyway, at the latest. Even if you deal Happ, between Young, Zagunis, and Candelario.....You're probably upgrading from Szczur and Seal Boy.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

JennieGarthAlgar
Starter

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:10 pm

I really hope we don't trade Happ, although if we do ideally it would be getting a SP back with upside. Happ just seems like the perfect guy to develop and have as insurance in case Zobrist starts to break down and miss time due to being old as horsefeathers (he's younger than me).
1 x

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:53 pm

biittner77 wrote:
Bull wrote:

Can Seal Boy play SS?

True. Whoever the 25th man is on this roster isn't going to get much playing time. So deep. Almost makes me think Kawasaki adds the most value as court jester. Almost.
1 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:17 pm

Both got fewer than 200 at bats last year and part of that had to do with Schwarber going down and Fowler missing some time. It really does say a lot about our depth that both guys would barely see the field and could be starters on other teams. That La Stella can only play 2B and 3B hurts, but Szczur is also more replaceable.

That said, what happens if Rizzo needs Szczur's bats?
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:21 pm

Post Count Padder wrote:Both got fewer than 200 at bats last year and part of that had to do with Schwarber going down and Fowler missing some time.

Last year had a 5 man bench, this year it will be 4. Together Szczur and La Stella combined for 369 PA, and Coghlan had another 128.
0 x

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:33 pm

Post Count Padder wrote:Both got fewer than 200 at bats last year and part of that had to do with Schwarber going down and Fowler missing some time.

Last year had a 5 man bench, this year it will be 4. Together Szczur and La Stella combined for 369 PA, and Coghlan had another 128.

Add in that we won't be carrying 3 catchers and they may get a few abs.
0 x

DiceMan4221
All-Star

Postby DiceMan4221 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:49 pm

Bull wrote:

Add in that we won't be carrying 3 catchers and they may get a few abs.

1 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -Anonymous

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:57 pm

Schwarber carries teams, not the other way around
3 x

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:55 am

Brett brought up trade return possibilities on Szczur and mentioned a low level minor leaguer or perhaps a comp pick. Draft slot money is valuable, so any teams not attempting to contend would be idiots to send away money for Szczur most likely. The 3 teams listed below are trying to contend though and I could see any of them parting with that pick and some semblance of an upside type for an upgrade to their bench.

Pick 68, 838,100-Arizona
Pick 70, 797,400-Colorado
Pick 74, 742,300-Baltimore

Is Beane above doing this? I honestly doubt he is. But, we'd likely need to send more than just Szczur to get that pick. Maybe add in a Galindo and Steele? Not necessarily those guys in particular. But, Szczur and 2 guys in our 20-30 range. Maybe could entice Billy to spread his risk around....

Miami.....I've advocated trying to get this pick before. This may be a chance. They've sold of picks before. They're attempting to contend. Seems too much to give for Szczur, but nothing they do should shock anyone either.

Pick 33, 1.936,500-Oakland
Pick 36, 1,798,700-Miami

At any rate, if he does get dealt, I'd be surprised if one of those picks isn't involved.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:35 am

davell wrote:Brett brought up trade return possibilities on Szczur and mentioned a low level minor leaguer or perhaps a comp pick. Draft slot money is valuable, so any teams not attempting to contend would be idiots to send away money for Szczur most likely. The 3 teams listed below are trying to contend though and I could see any of them parting with that pick and some semblance of an upside type for an upgrade to their bench.

Pick 68, 838,100-Arizona
Pick 70, 797,400-Colorado
Pick 74, 742,300-Baltimore

Is Beane above doing this? I honestly doubt he is. But, we'd likely need to send more than just Szczur to get that pick. Maybe add in a Galindo and Steele? Not necessarily those guys in particular. But, Szczur and 2 guys in our 20-30 range. Maybe could entice Billy to spread his risk around....

Miami.....I've advocated trying to get this pick before. This may be a chance. They've sold of picks before. They're attempting to contend. Seems too much to give for Szczur, but nothing they do should shock anyone either.

Pick 33, 1.936,500-Oakland
Pick 36, 1,798,700-Miami

At any rate, if he does get dealt, I'd be surprised if one of those picks isn't involved.

Cubs could also sweeten the pot with an IFA slot. They certainly won't be needing it this year.
0 x
The Anti-Bartman Moment.

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:01 pm

Having Montgomery as your only LHRP to start the season seems silly, but I guess with a 10 day DL if there's legit injuries they can play the juggling game.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:01 pm

Looks like the opening day roster is this

C: Contreras, Montero
IF: Rizzo, Baez, Zobrist, Russell, Bryant, La Stella
OF: Heyward, Almora, Jay, Schwarber, Szczur

SP: Lester, Arrieta, Lackey, Anderson, Hendricks
RP: Davis, Rondon, Strop, Edwards, Uehara, Grimm, Montgomery
0 x
Win it for Fred

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:13 pm

I have to believe that Uehara will get a couple stints on the 10 day this year for being old.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Duke Silver
5-Time All-Star

Postby Duke Silver » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:17 pm

Do we just operate with a 26-man roster all year, swapping guys on and off the 10-day DL as need be? Bullpen a little worn out? Keep the extra reliever. A stretch against a couple teams with a bunch of lefty pitchers upcoming? Time for LaStella to find the DL. Same thing for righties? Sorry, Szczur. Oh this reliever hasn't been given a week off in awhile? Time for your DL stint.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:21 pm

Having Montgomery as your only LHRP to start the season seems silly, but I guess with a 10 day DL if there's legit injuries they can play the juggling game.

Plus Koji is murder on lefties
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Return to “Transactions”