Offseason Transactions

weis21
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8357
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:45 am
Location: ECU
x 3943
x 783

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby weis21 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:51 am

Cubswin11 wrote:

Image
0 x

d_money
All-Star
Posts: 1987
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:57 pm
x 23

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby d_money » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:34 am

I assume they would offer a few options - the more the Marlins eat of the contract, they can select 2-3 of the following players. The less the Marlins eat, they get 1-2, and so on.
0 x

Named After Maddux
Role Player
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:03 am
x 2
x 8

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby Named After Maddux » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:32 pm

Stanton to the Cards has some big implications, but a ton of hurdles. He's obviously a huge offensive force and a huge contract, not to mention he will likely be limited defensively in the latter years of his contract. It's definitely an interesting risk/reward.

But the team I'm actually scared of seeing connected to the Cards is the Blue Jays. Kelly, Kolten Wong, Weaver, Reyes, Alcantara would all be very appealing targets if Toronto decides to deal Stroman/Sanchez, Osuna, and/or Donaldson. They seem like a disturbingly perfect set of trade partners. I do not want to see Stroman or Sanchez in a Cardinals uniform.
0 x

User avatar
TomtheBombadil
All-Star
Posts: 4432
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 169
x 264

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:10 pm

Not that I’m holding my breath on this but if the Cardinals landed Stroman....Well let’s just say I’d be beside myself.
0 x

User avatar
Guancous
All-Star
Posts: 2028
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 5:08 am
Location: Silver Spring, MD
x 662
x 204

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby Guancous » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:10 pm

Phillies released Mark Appel today.

In a parallel universe, Appel won Rookie of the Year and a Cy Yong for the Cubs while Kris Bryant got released from the minors after flaming out.
0 x
Jose Quintana will be on the next Cubs team that wins a World Series.

User avatar
Cubswin11
Superstar
Posts: 17246
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 2065
x 2093

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:38 pm

Guancous wrote:Phillies released Mark Appel today.

In a parallel universe, Appel won Rookie of the Year and a Cy Yong for the Cubs while Kris Bryant got released from the minors after flaming out.

Is his arm completely broken or what? If it’s not he’d be a nice reclamation try even though his numbers suck. I think his stuff is still really good when he’s on.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
Cubswin11
Superstar
Posts: 17246
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 2065
x 2093

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:44 pm

Bobby Wahl was released by the A’s, he’s put up some pretty big K numbers in the minors (tho SSS in some cases) he was up for 7 innings last year and his Fb averaged 95 and looks like a primarily FB/Slider pitcher with a occasional curve and changeup. As a minor league depth bullpen guy he’s worth looking at, imo.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 54387
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 301
x 4060

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:09 am

Cubswin11 wrote:Bobby Wahl was released by the A’s, he’s put up some pretty big K numbers in the minors (tho SSS in some cases) he was up for 7 innings last year and his Fb averaged 95 and looks like a primarily FB/Slider pitcher with a occasional curve and changeup. As a minor league depth bullpen guy he’s worth looking at, imo.


Looks like he had Thoracic Outlet surgery in August.
1 x

chopsx9
Starter
Posts: 313
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:22 am
x 7

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby chopsx9 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:25 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:Not that I’m holding my breath on this but if the Cardinals landed Stroman....Well let’s just say I’d be beside myself.

I just can't imagine a scenario where the Jays trade Stroman. Jays believe pitching is their key to success and there has to be some questions at this point with Sanchez's durability. He's enormously popular with the fans, the team loves him - I think there would be a riot if he were traded.
0 x
Stone added: "Lou's probably grumpy, because he only went 3-for-11 against me with no RBIs."

davell
Hall of Fame
Posts: 20420
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:55 pm
x 1341
x 1785

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby davell » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:11 pm

Doug Fister signed with the Rangers for 1/4, plus incentives. Can't believe it took this long for the first signing to happen. Hopefully the floodgates open up this next week now.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

User avatar
TomtheBombadil
All-Star
Posts: 4432
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 169
x 264

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:51 pm

chopsx9 wrote:I just can't imagine a scenario where the Jays trade Stroman. Jays believe pitching is their key to success and there has to be some questions at this point with Sanchez's durability. He's enormously popular with the fans, the team loves him - I think there would be a riot if he were traded.


Woe to the franchises that believe this
0 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Superstar
Posts: 17246
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 2065
x 2093

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:14 pm

VB's avoided arbitration with Vogt for just over $3 million. I didn't think it was possible but I think he has a worse arm than Miggy.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star
Posts: 2362
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:38 am
x 256

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:20 pm

Cubs removed Carasiti from the 40 so he could sign in Japan
0 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar
Posts: 14515
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:51 pm
Location: In your dreams
x 6
x 61

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby Post Count Padder » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:43 pm

Old friend Beef Wellington is back in town, two year deal with the White Sox.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

Post Count Padder
Superstar
Posts: 14515
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:51 pm
Location: In your dreams
x 6
x 61

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby Post Count Padder » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:22 am

Some interesting pitching non-tenders:

Chi Chi Gonzalez
Jared Hughes
Shae Simmons
Drew Smyly
Mike Fiers
Xavier Cedeno
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5661
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:13 pm
x 1
x 60

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby Tryptamine » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:28 am

Post Count Padder wrote:Some interesting pitching non-tenders:

Chi Chi Gonzalez
Jared Hughes
Shae Simmons
Drew Smyly
Mike Fiers
Xavier Cedeno


Would be thrilled to land Smyly on a minor league deal just in case his arm ever stays in one piece. I can't believe Chi Chi is already getting DFA'd. He's like 2 years off a top 100 listing.
0 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar
Posts: 14515
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:51 pm
Location: In your dreams
x 6
x 61

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby Post Count Padder » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:59 am

The Blue Jays have struck a trade to acquire shortstop Aledmys Diaz from the Cardinals, per an announcement from the Toronto organization (h/t Shi Davidi of Sportsnet.ca, on Twitter). Outfielder prospect J.B. Woodman is heading back to St. Louis in return.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

Post Count Padder
Superstar
Posts: 14515
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:51 pm
Location: In your dreams
x 6
x 61

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby Post Count Padder » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:00 am

Tryptamine wrote:
Post Count Padder wrote:Some interesting pitching non-tenders:

Chi Chi Gonzalez
Jared Hughes
Shae Simmons
Drew Smyly
Mike Fiers
Xavier Cedeno


Would be thrilled to land Smyly on a minor league deal just in case his arm ever stays in one piece. I can't believe Chi Chi is already getting DFA'd. He's like 2 years off a top 100 listing.

Same in both regards. And the Rangers always seem like they're in need of SP help.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

User avatar
Sammys Boombox
Formerly eb14play2
Posts: 5394
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:52 pm
Location: Kansas City, MO
x 554
x 189

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby Sammys Boombox » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:13 am

True story. Last off-season I was driving through St. Louis and happened to land on a sports talk station. The first host asked the other two if the next Cardinals player to win the NL MVP was currently in their organization. The second co-host responsed that Matt Carpenter would win one. The third co-host said he agreed Matt Carpenter would win an NL MVP, but that Aledmys Diaz would win one first. At this point the first and second co-hosts acted like this was some great epiphany that they wished they had thought of first.

1. Lol.
2. Matt Carpenter was 31 at the time.
3. Aledmys Diaz was 26 at the time.
0 x
CUBS PACKERS MIZZOU

davell
Hall of Fame
Posts: 20420
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:55 pm
x 1341
x 1785

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby davell » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:23 am

There's no chance Smyly signs a minor league deal. He'll either sit the year out or get a 1 year, plus option type deal. But, it'd definitely be a major league deal. Unfortunately he didn't get TJS until early July, I think.

With us needing to spend plenty of money for 2018 AND try to stay under the LT, I don't see a guy like him or Pineda being good fits for us this year. Unless we trade for a cheap SP.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

User avatar
The Logan
Superstar
Posts: 14441
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:03 am
Location: Lincoln Park
x 3074
x 1045

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby The Logan » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:52 am

I seem to recall Cardinal fans saying they'd rather have Diaz than Russell. That makes me laugh.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Sammys Boombox
Formerly eb14play2
Posts: 5394
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:52 pm
Location: Kansas City, MO
x 554
x 189

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby Sammys Boombox » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:31 am

The Logan wrote:I seem to recall Cardinal fans saying they'd rather have Diaz than Russell. That makes me laugh.


Grichuk > Bryant
2 x
CUBS PACKERS MIZZOU

User avatar
Cubswin11
Superstar
Posts: 17246
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 2065
x 2093

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:36 am

I look forward to Paul Dejong being sent to AAA by the ASB next year and non-tendered in the offseason
0 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
Regular Show
Starter
Posts: 386
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 10:16 am
Location: Chicago, IL
x 602
x 78

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby Regular Show » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:50 am

Sammy's Boombox wrote:
The Logan wrote:I seem to recall Cardinal fans saying they'd rather have Diaz than Russell. That makes me laugh.


Grichuk > Bryant


Grichuk is also definitely getting moved this offseason. I think Piscotty might get traded too. What will Cardinals fans say then lol?
0 x

Bull
Formerly MrWood
Posts: 3483
Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 3:54 pm
Location: Not St Louis anymore!
x 48
x 236

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby Bull » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:15 pm

Regular Show wrote:
Sammy's Boombox wrote:
The Logan wrote:I seem to recall Cardinal fans saying they'd rather have Diaz than Russell. That makes me laugh.


Grichuk > Bryant


Grichuk is also definitely getting moved this offseason. I think Piscotty might get traded too. What will Cardinals fans say then lol?

That they'd rather have Giancarlo than Heyward.
0 x


Return to “Transactions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jb10194 and 1 guest