Offseason Transactions

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21788
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 5098
x 4084

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby Cubswin11 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:56 am

Doubt we’d have interest but can Dickerson play CF at all? Career .360+ wOBA vs RHP
0 x
Screw Pitchers

davell
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21208
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:55 pm
x 1722
x 2201

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby davell » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:01 am

There goes another landing spot for Jake, Cobb, or Lynn. Those guys are playing musical chairs.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21788
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 5098
x 4084

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby Cubswin11 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:15 am

davell wrote:There goes another landing spot for Jake, Cobb, or Lynn. Those guys are playing musical chairs.

The Twins could still sign one of those guys, right? Their rotation is still Berrios, Odorizzi, Gibson, injured Santana and what????
0 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 75881
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 2614
x 3804
Contact:

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby UMFan83 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:17 am



Contract the Rays
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 75881
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 2614
x 3804
Contact:

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby UMFan83 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:19 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
davell wrote:There goes another landing spot for Jake, Cobb, or Lynn. Those guys are playing musical chairs.

The Twins could still sign one of those guys, right? Their rotation is still Berrios, Odorizzi, Gibson, injured Santana and what????


Didn’t they just sign Anibal Sanchez?
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21788
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 5098
x 4084

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby Cubswin11 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:25 am

Feel like 1 of Jake/Lynn/Cobb is going to have to settle for a 1 year deal (or at least in their best long term interest) and 1 is gonna have a hard team beating Chatwood in guaranteed money.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22483
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:36 am
x 727
x 1268

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby 17 Seconds » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:33 am

0 x

sweetpeteman
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 7977
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:13 pm
Location: The River
x 7
x 107

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby sweetpeteman » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:49 am

Cubswin11 wrote:Doubt we’d have interest but can Dickerson play CF at all? Career .360+ wOBA vs RHP



No. Dickerson is terrible in left as it is.
0 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar
Posts: 14702
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:51 pm
Location: In your dreams
x 22
x 106

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby Post Count Padder » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:12 pm

What are the Rays doing? That's all they got for Odorizzi? And basically replacing Dickerson with Cron?
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

User avatar
The Logan
Superstar
Posts: 14840
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:03 am
Location: Lakeview
x 4393
x 1493

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby The Logan » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:21 pm

Post Count Padder wrote:What are the Rays doing? That's all they got for Odorizzi? And basically replacing Dickerson with Cron?


I know odorizzis name had come up here a few times and most people were against the idea, but if I recall it was mostly because they didn't want to give up what they assumed Tampa would want for him, which was probably way more than what he was worth. But I don't think anything here would've been opposed to acquiring him for one prospect at the back end of our top 30.
0 x
Image

Post Count Padder
Superstar
Posts: 14702
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:51 pm
Location: In your dreams
x 22
x 106

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby Post Count Padder » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:29 pm

The Logan wrote:
Post Count Padder wrote:What are the Rays doing? That's all they got for Odorizzi? And basically replacing Dickerson with Cron?


I know odorizzis name had come up here a few times and most people were against the idea, but if I recall it was mostly because they didn't want to give up what they assumed Tampa would want for him, which was probably way more than what he was worth. But I don't think anything here would've been opposed to acquiring him for one prospect at the back end of our top 30.

Yeah they basically just traded him for Zach Short, right? I remember like a year ago there were thoughts the Rays wanted an Almora or Cease.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star
Posts: 3020
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:38 am
x 391

Re: RE: Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:26 pm

Post Count Padder wrote:
The Logan wrote:
Post Count Padder wrote:What are the Rays doing? That's all they got for Odorizzi? And basically replacing Dickerson with Cron?


I know odorizzis name had come up here a few times and most people were against the idea, but if I recall it was mostly because they didn't want to give up what they assumed Tampa would want for him, which was probably way more than what he was worth. But I don't think anything here would've been opposed to acquiring him for one prospect at the back end of our top 30.

Yeah they basically just traded him for Zach Short, right? I remember like a year ago there were thoughts the Rays wanted an Almora or Cease.
Maybe the bitterness over Maddon is real?
0 x

User avatar
Little Slide Rooter
Formerly West Side Rooter
Posts: 26365
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:41 pm
Location: Here
x 183
Contact:

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby Little Slide Rooter » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:00 am

Post Count Padder wrote:
The Logan wrote:
Post Count Padder wrote:What are the Rays doing? That's all they got for Odorizzi? And basically replacing Dickerson with Cron?


I know odorizzis name had come up here a few times and most people were against the idea, but if I recall it was mostly because they didn't want to give up what they assumed Tampa would want for him, which was probably way more than what he was worth. But I don't think anything here would've been opposed to acquiring him for one prospect at the back end of our top 30.

Yeah they basically just traded him for Zach Short, right? I remember like a year ago there were thoughts the Rays wanted an Almora or Cease.


A year ago, Odorizzi was coming off a 3.0 WAR season, as opppsed to a -0.1. I know you never want to sell that low on a guy, but apparently, times is hard.
0 x
We won the World Series.

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21788
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 5098
x 4084

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:04 am

With how many pitchers are still available I’m not surprised Odorizzi didn’t go for a ton, especially the year he is coming off of and costing $6 million this year and probably 9-10 next year. That being said I’m surprised they decided to sell low unless they think he’s going to stay replacement level or maybe think an injury is coming or something along those lines. Maybe they also had this SS they got ranked a lot higher internally than the prospect publications
0 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5305
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 293
x 398

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:18 am

Cubswin11 wrote:With how many pitchers are still available I’m not surprised Odorizzi didn’t go for a ton, especially the year he is coming off of and costing $6 million this year and probably 9-10 next year. That being said I’m surprised they decided to sell low unless they think he’s going to stay replacement level or maybe think an injury is coming or something along those lines. Maybe they also had this SS they got ranked a lot higher internally than the prospect publications


This is probably a factor considering the guy has hit, plays SS, and should reach AA at 21 maybe 22. I don't believe Odorizzi is a very good ML SP but the Twins' home park could help him out for a couple years.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21208
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:55 pm
x 1722
x 2201

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby davell » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:45 am

At this point, I think there's a decent chance one of Cobb or Lynn may wind up settling for less than we gave Chatwood.

Do have to wonder if maybe we jumped on Chatwood a bit early. Revisionist obviously, but Cobb at 4/52 versus Chatwood at 3/38?

I can see Chatwood winding up better, but I liked Cobb more, at the start of the off season. Draft pick wouldn't have mattered to me, at a price like that.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21788
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 5098
x 4084

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:57 am

davell wrote:At this point, I think there's a decent chance one of Cobb or Lynn may wind up settling for less than we gave Chatwood.

Do have to wonder if maybe we jumped on Chatwood a bit early. Revisionist obviously, but Cobb at 4/52 versus Chatwood at 3/38?

I can see Chatwood winding up better, but I liked Cobb more, at the start of the off season. Draft pick wouldn't have mattered to me, at a price like that.

I’ve wondered this same thing. I like the upside of Chatwood over Cobb though, especially with him maybe, likely not having his best pitch. Plus with Darvish now solidifying the top end of the rotation give me the guy with the highest upside at the back end of the rotation who still should have an okay floor.

Chatwood did have similar offers to ours, apparently, so I think the market valued him about what we got him at. Can also be glad Cobb turned down our 3/45 offer or whatever early on and wanted 20 aav that led us to being able to wait out the market and get Darvish. That would’ve been a disaster getting both those guys locked up early (albeit at good value deals) then missing out on the market dropping to be able to get Darvish.
1 x
Screw Pitchers

davell
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21208
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:55 pm
x 1722
x 2201

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby davell » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:10 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
davell wrote:At this point, I think there's a decent chance one of Cobb or Lynn may wind up settling for less than we gave Chatwood.

Do have to wonder if maybe we jumped on Chatwood a bit early. Revisionist obviously, but Cobb at 4/52 versus Chatwood at 3/38?

I can see Chatwood winding up better, but I liked Cobb more, at the start of the off season. Draft pick wouldn't have mattered to me, at a price like that.

I’ve wondered this same thing. I like the upside of Chatwood over Cobb though, especially with him maybe, likely not having his best pitch. Plus with Darvish now solidifying the top end of the rotation give me the guy with the highest upside at the back end of the rotation who still should have an okay floor.

Chatwood did have similar offers to ours, apparently, so I think the market valued him about what we got him at. Can also be glad Cobb turned down our 3/45 offer or whatever early on and wanted 20 aav that led us to being able to wait out the market and get Darvish. That would’ve been a disaster getting both those guys locked up early (albeit at good value deals) then missing out on the market dropping to be able to get Darvish.


Yeah, we may have possibly missed on Cobb, at this stage. But, I guess getting Chatwood early, got us to evaluate the entire market and allowed for Yu to fall into our laps.

At the beginning of the off season, I truly thought we'd be trading Happ or Addy, to get our TOR starter, and signing Cobb to be our back end guy. I'll gladly take Yu, Chatwood, and not touching our position player core, over the other option.

Can't believe we've not made a single trade. And got Yu, Chatwood, Smyly, Morrow, Cishek, and kept Duensing in FA.
2 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21788
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 5098
x 4084

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:33 am

davell wrote:
At the beginning of the off season, I truly thought we'd be trading Happ or Addy, to get our TOR starter, and signing Cobb to be our back end guy. I'll gladly take Yu, Chatwood, and not touching our position player core, over the other option.

Can't believe we've not made a single trade. And got Yu, Chatwood, Smyly, Morrow, Cishek, and kept Duensing in FA.

I never really thought they’d trade anyone when it came down to it for pitching but I thought we’d just end up with 2 of Cobb/Chatwood/Garcia/Hellickson/etc. types and spend on the bullpen pieces like we did without knowing who’d that money would end up with. But yeah I still can’t believe we got Yu and Theo basically had the best offseason possible short of bringing Avila back (which isn’t a big loss of not doing) or a Yelich trade.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

champaignchris
Starter
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:40 pm
x 4
x 102

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby champaignchris » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:04 am

Chatwood is two years younger and when adjusted for park factors put up numbers not all that worse than Cobb in only 50 fewer innings.

It’s really hard to look at those home/road splits and not think, “This guy might be rrrrrrrrilly good if they got him the Hell out of Denver.” (Cue Bob Seger... ...I probably just really dated myself.)

I think Cobb will still sign for a bit more than Chatwood, but I won’t be too beat up over it if he doesn’t.

Also remember no draft pick lost.
0 x

User avatar
Regular Show
All-Star
Posts: 1634
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 10:16 am
Location: Chicago, IL
x 1388
x 460

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby Regular Show » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:26 am

davell wrote:At this point, I think there's a decent chance one of Cobb or Lynn may wind up settling for less than we gave Chatwood.

Do have to wonder if maybe we jumped on Chatwood a bit early. Revisionist obviously, but Cobb at 4/52 versus Chatwood at 3/38?

I can see Chatwood winding up better, but I liked Cobb more, at the start of the off season. Draft pick wouldn't have mattered to me, at a price like that.


I'm coming out and saying it: I think I like Chatwood more than Cobb now. The more I look at his stats and how the Cubs FO plans to improve his repertoire (utilize his curveball) the more I'm convinced he's going to have a really good year. Like a year similar to Jason Hammel in 14' while with the Cubs (not with the A's). He's going to be one of the best #5 starters in MLB this upcoming season.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

User avatar
CubsWin
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6981
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:25 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
x 165
x 391

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby CubsWin » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:43 am

davell wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
davell wrote:At this point, I think there's a decent chance one of Cobb or Lynn may wind up settling for less than we gave Chatwood.

Do have to wonder if maybe we jumped on Chatwood a bit early. Revisionist obviously, but Cobb at 4/52 versus Chatwood at 3/38?

I can see Chatwood winding up better, but I liked Cobb more, at the start of the off season. Draft pick wouldn't have mattered to me, at a price like that.

I’ve wondered this same thing. I like the upside of Chatwood over Cobb though, especially with him maybe, likely not having his best pitch. Plus with Darvish now solidifying the top end of the rotation give me the guy with the highest upside at the back end of the rotation who still should have an okay floor.

Chatwood did have similar offers to ours, apparently, so I think the market valued him about what we got him at. Can also be glad Cobb turned down our 3/45 offer or whatever early on and wanted 20 aav that led us to being able to wait out the market and get Darvish. That would’ve been a disaster getting both those guys locked up early (albeit at good value deals) then missing out on the market dropping to be able to get Darvish.


Yeah, we may have possibly missed on Cobb, at this stage. But, I guess getting Chatwood early, got us to evaluate the entire market and allowed for Yu to fall into our laps.

At the beginning of the off season, I truly thought we'd be trading Happ or Addy, to get our TOR starter, and signing Cobb to be our back end guy. I'll gladly take Yu, Chatwood, and not touching our position player core, over the other option.

Can't believe we've not made a single trade. And got Yu, Chatwood, Smyly, Morrow, Cishek, and kept Duensing in FA.

I wanted Chatwood over Cobb regardless of price. I could easily be wrong, but I believe there's a good chance he'll outperform Cobb over the next 3 seasons. Plus, I'll take the 28-30 years of a pitcher over the 30-33 years any day. And when it comes to pitchers, the fewer years under contract, the better.

I agree that signing a good 5th starter early set up Theo & Jed to allow the market to come to them. It couldn't have worked out any better than Darvish agreeing to 21 million AAV. I also thought they'd go the trade route for their TOR starter, but I'm glad they didn't have to. The depth on this roster is ridiculous.

This is the deepest rotation the Cubs have had under Theo by far. Chatwood >> Anderson/Butler. Monty still on board. IMO, Tseng & Mills are better than any 7th/8th starter in the last 5 years and Zastryzny isn't a bad 9th.

The bullpen is also the deepest it's been. 1-7 are set with a healthy ST battle set up for the 8th spot between Grimm, Butler, Maples and Alvarez. Assuming one of Grimm or Butler gets the last spot (since neither have options left), having Maples continuing to refine his command in AAA is ideal. He's clearly the best first call up pen arm the Cubs have had under Theo. By mid-season, Alzolay and Smyly could be in the that mix as well.

And do we even need to talk about the depth of the position players? Do you remember the 2015 bench? Jonathan Herrera (played in the Mexican League last year), Chris Denorfia (AAA), Jorge Soler (AAA). This year, the Cubs 3 bench players (not counting the back up C) are Zobrist, Happ/Almora and La Stella. And if Gimenez makes the team, they'll have Caratini waiting in the wings in AAA.

Come on, man...
1 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

craig
All-Star
Posts: 4167
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:52 pm
x 43

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby craig » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:54 pm

Don't imagine Cobb will come in at $52/4. The deals don't really seem to be coming in particularly low. My guess is that if he didn't feel like he had offers better than that, he'd have signed with Twins before this. And my guess is if the Twins thought they could get him at that kind of price, they'd have signed him rather than give up an excellent prospect for Odorizzi.
0 x

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6677
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:34 am
Location: Formerly PleasewinCubs
x 2
x 718

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:15 am

craig wrote:Don't imagine Cobb will come in at $52/4. The deals don't really seem to be coming in particularly low. My guess is that if he didn't feel like he had offers better than that, he'd have signed with Twins before this. And my guess is if the Twins thought they could get him at that kind of price, they'd have signed him rather than give up an excellent prospect for Odorizzi.


Was the prospect excellent? I basically thought he works at a gas station.
5 x
Not saying it will happen, but the Cubs coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series does seem like the appropriate way to cap off this season and make the 30-for-30 even better.

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21788
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 5098
x 4084

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:18 am

Damn, I would’ve loved him for this deal. Start LaStella in AAA and Dyson starts most games against RHP and is a late inning defensive specialist in others.

0 x
Screw Pitchers


Return to “Transactions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 2 guests