Trade targets 2019

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Trade targets 2019

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu May 16, 2019 3:05 am

Probably empty words but the last time I read anything from Jed Hoyer it was this:

Although the Cubs didn’t make any kind of significant splash in free agency, they’re also not viewing the current roster as a finished product, writes Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times. Part of the team’s lack of spending stems from a desire to make sure there are ample resources in place this summer to address in-season needs via the trade market. “We don’t know what it’s going to be, but certainly there’s going to be a major focus to make sure we’re in position to improve the team in the middle of the season,” said general manager Jed Hoyer of potential summer activity.

Obviously we want bullpen help, everyone wants bullpen help every year, but I also think they need an OF and maybe a starting MIF if Zobrist is out. Preferably the OF mashes and can handle CF, which sounds alot like Mitch Haniger.

Thoughts on Andrus from the Rangers? DeShield Jr. as a buy low 4th OF? I want a SP, still the same guy preferably but would not mind more names
0 x
Spoiler: show

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Re: Trade targets 2019

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Thu May 16, 2019 3:21 am

Haniger? Guessing it'd take Happ + Hoerner or Amaya ++. I'd do it. Who knows if Hoerner ever develops enough power to translate into a plus big league bat, well, at least I have no clue. I wonder if we have enough to get him plus a impact bullpen arm.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu May 16, 2019 3:23 am

If we add a bat it better be better than Deshields or Andrus. Haniger is a perfect target, I’d go as far as like Amaya, Marquez and Happ for him. We’ll add to and figure out the pen, I’m not overly worried there. Rendon is the low key guy I have my eyes on for the offense add. You can make that work with KB in the OF nearly full time and a Descalso/Bote platoon at 2B.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:38 am

I'm curious about Jose Ramirez.
1 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:45 am

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:I'm curious about Jose Ramirez.

If somehow him or Lindor become available literally assign the whole farm as compensation to the Indians.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu May 16, 2019 6:54 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
We Got The Whole 9 wrote:I'm curious about Jose Ramirez.

If somehow him or Lindor become available literally assign the whole farm as compensation to the Indians.

Yep, both are absolute studs

Thoughts on Hunter Dozier? He’s mashing for the Royals. I don’t know much about him beyond has power
0 x

Bear Cub
Starter

Postby Bear Cub » Thu May 16, 2019 10:26 am

Lots of dreaming going on here!
1 x
Bring Sammy back into the Cubs family!

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Thu May 16, 2019 12:00 pm

Bear Cub wrote:Lots of dreaming going on here!

More like delusion rather than dreaming. Andrus and Rendon are way too rich for PTR. Haniger is probably untouchable. Ramirez or Lindor would wipe out our whole prospect list. DeShields isn't worth the effort.
1 x

Bote McBoteface
All-Star

Postby Bote McBoteface » Thu May 16, 2019 12:55 pm

Not interested in anything but late inning relievers, and I think we need two. Doolittle is the only name that pops to mind, so I hope Washington remains buried in the standings.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu May 16, 2019 1:37 pm

I'd be pretty surprised if they acquired a significant position player. Probably going to be bullpen.
0 x

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Thu May 16, 2019 2:10 pm

I'd be game for Castellanos and Joe Jimenez. Nick is a FA next year so he should be pretty cheap.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Thu May 16, 2019 5:35 pm

Ramirez has an absurdly cheap contract with an elite ceiling for maximum surplus, yes. But he's been a league average hitter now for over 500 PA; the league has certainly identified some weaknesses and he (and the Indians staff) has been slow to remedy the issues. That team is also notoriously cheap as well. I think they're playing above their general expectancy, who knows how long that will sustain. The offense is god-awful. I guess what I'm saying is that I wouldnt be surprised to see them suck and open up for business. I'm not saying that we have the pieces to match but I could see a scenario where the Indians decide to replenish the cupboard a bit and he could be moved.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu May 16, 2019 5:52 pm

Trade target priority:

Reliever
Reliever
Back of rotation starter

Reliever

Backup C
OF bat(preferably CF capable)

Reliever

New person to wear the Clark suit

Infielder
1 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Thu May 16, 2019 6:16 pm

Like everyone, I'd like a high end reliever, ideally a lefty. Will Smith would be perfect. I'd also like an outfielder. I was in the David Peralta train this offseason, and I think he'd still be a good fit. Ideally we'd get a CF rather than a corner guy, but the trade market doesn't look likely to cooperate there. There are going to be premium options like Mitch Haniger or change of scenery types like Jackie Bradley, no solid ~3 win types.

Also, I'm really curious about the financial implications of Zobrist's leave of absence. The team might suddenly have a lot of financial wiggle room, which should allow them to get creative. For example, I mentioned Will Smith above, maybe pair him with Mark Melancon and it costs you a top 10 prospect rather than a top 5 one.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:48 pm

Relievers are boring to talk about and volatile. Last time I gushed over a reliever it didn't end so well. I'd also hope we give guys like Maples and Wick (both 30+% K rates and improving control from Maples) extended auditions before we dive right into a market that is expensive and not a long-term answer. I also hope we are promoting Miller and Abbott soon to get a better idea of how they will handle an explosive offensive environment akin to MLB. We have 4 playoff-caliber starters, 3 of which have phenomenal numbers in those games. We are paying our 5th starter too much money to remove from the picture, and have a 6th starter in the ready making a ton as well. I feel like our solution could be internal.

Why not just move Bryant to RF full time and take a shot on a top 5 player having a revival. Bote and Descalso have hit a wall, nobody wants Russell to play, Zobrist doesn't want to play. I like this path. Not sure if the Indians would even entertain it, though.
0 x

champaignchris
Starter

Postby champaignchris » Thu May 16, 2019 6:53 pm

The Giants seem like a likely trade partner. They’re bad, but they have a number of quality relievers. Smith, Dyson, Vincent and Watson are all relatively interesting targets.

If the A’s decide to be sellers, Treinen and Petit could be targets.

Colome from the W Sox or Giles from Tor might work.

Shane Greene from Det is less sexy, but might be cheap.

Doolittle might be really expensive in prospects given his cheap 2020 option and the fact that the Nats will likely think they’ll be competitive next year and have an entire bullpen to rebuild with Doolittle as about their only building block.

On the whole I’d far rather the Cubs bite the contractual bullet and sign Craig Kimbrel than trade Amaya or Hoerner for a less elite reliever.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:57 pm

champaignchris wrote:The Giants seem like a likely trade partner. They’re bad, but they have a number of quality relievers. Smith, Dyson, Vincent and Watson are all relatively interesting targets.

If the A’s decide to be sellers, Treinen and Petit could be targets.

Colome from the W Sox or Giles from Tor might work.

Shane Greene from Det is less sexy, but might be cheap.

Doolittle might be really expensive in prospects given his cheap 2020 option and the fact that the Nats will likely think they’ll be competitive next year and have an entire bullpen to rebuild with Doolittle as about their only building block.

On the whole I’d far rather the Cubs bite the contractual bullet and sign Craig Kimbrel than trade Amaya or Hoerner for a less elite reliever.

If we’re trading Amaya or Hoerner it better be for a position player or stud reliever (idk if one is really out there, maybe Treinen if he’s healthy). If it’s not one of those two things they aren’t worth trading.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu May 16, 2019 6:58 pm

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:Why not just move Bryant to RF full time and take a shot on a top 5 player having a revival.

This. Largely pie in the sky thinking on my part, but the OF is a completely botched nightmare for the foreseeable future, and I'd much rather see them use what few assets they have to try and upgrade it. Relievers are fickle turds.
3 x
► Show Spoiler

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Thu May 16, 2019 7:26 pm

Bertz wrote:Also, I'm really curious about the financial implications of Zobrist's leave of absence. The team might suddenly have a lot of financial wiggle room, which should allow them to get creative.

I mean, if he misses a month, which seems on the high end, and this is unpaid absence, which isn't confirmed, we're probably only looking at $2m of the $12m he's making this year, right? Which, coincidentally, is about the same amount as what the Ricketts donated to the Trump 2020 campaign, or whatever garbage political group it was.
1 x

CubInOK
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubInOK » Fri May 17, 2019 3:00 am

Since we’re dreaming about Lindor or Jose Ramirez, can either of them play 2nd or do we move Javy to 2nd? If we get Ramirez, do we just let Bryant become full-time LF?
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri May 17, 2019 3:04 am

CubInOK wrote:Since we’re dreaming about Lindor or Jose Ramirez, can either of them play 2nd or do we move Javy to 2nd? If we get Ramirez, do we just let Bryant become full-time LF?

You’d want to play Lindor at SS over Javy, Ramirez has played 2B in the past. I know these are extremely unlikely real targets, but yeah you can make it work. Or put KB in the OF and Ramirez at 3B.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Fri May 17, 2019 10:04 pm

Dreaming big is nice but the Indians aren't selling rock bottom on Ramirez and we would be depleting our farm system for Lindor, assuming they'd even trade him.

Something like Dwight Smith Jr and Mychal Givens from the O's or one or more of Watson/Dyson/Smith from SF seems doable and a solid upgrade to the roster. Or even something like Pinder/Canha and Treinan from the A's would be great.

If we're looking for buy low options, I'd love to see what Trader Jerry in Seattle wants for Mallex Smith. Or the Rockies have a crowded outfield, with some young guys on the way too, maybe they'd listen on David Dahl?
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri May 17, 2019 11:04 pm

Post Count Padder wrote:Dreaming big is nice but the Indians aren't selling rock bottom on Ramirez and we would be depleting our farm system for Lindor, assuming they'd even trade him.

Something like Dwight Smith Jr and Mychal Givens from the O's or one or more of Watson/Dyson/Smith from SF seems doable and a solid upgrade to the roster. Or even something like Pinder/Canha and Treinan from the A's would be great.

If we're looking for buy low options, I'd love to see what Trader Jerry in Seattle wants for Mallex Smith. Or the Rockies have a crowded outfield, with some young guys on the way too, maybe they'd listen on David Dahl?

He’s a 25 year old perrenial MVP candidate with 2 more seasons before FA after this.

Outside of Amaya there isn’t a prospect in this system I really really like so that helps, but even still this is Francisco Lindor!

Buy low is why I’m curious about Dozier from the Royals. It’s not buying low in that he can get better so much as he might be a badass hitter and isn’t a FA until 2024. Since he’s already 27 the Royals might shop him and he might be the player Castellanos is hoped to be
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri May 17, 2019 11:09 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:
Post Count Padder wrote:Dreaming big is nice but the Indians aren't selling rock bottom on Ramirez and we would be depleting our farm system for Lindor, assuming they'd even trade him.

He’s a 25 year old perrenial MVP candidate with 2 more seasons before FA after this.

Outside of Amaya there isn’t a prospect in this system I really really like so that helps, but even still this is Francisco Lindor!

Yeah, I don't think the Cubs have a chance to land him, but that is exactly the kind of guy you clear the cupboard out for without even thinking twice.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Bote McBoteface
All-Star

Postby Bote McBoteface » Sat May 18, 2019 3:36 am

The Indians are not trading Lindor.
0 x

Return to “Transactions”