2020 Offseason Thread

Bertz
All-Star

Re: 2020 Offseason Thread

Postby Bertz » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:19 pm

A bench guy I'm really interested in is Robbie Grossman. He'd bring that "professional hitter" profile to the bench that we've been sorely lacking since Sealboy left. Over the last three years he's got a 12% walk rate and only an 18% K rate. He's a switch hitter who's better against lefties than righties, but his split isn't huge as he's an above average hitter against both. He's played primarily LF the last few years, but Statcast says he's fast enough for CF and gets good jumps, so I imagine that's just in deference to Ramon Laureano.
2 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:10 pm

Bertz wrote:A bench guy I'm really interested in is Robbie Grossman. He'd bring that "professional hitter" profile to the bench that we've been sorely lacking since Sealboy left. Over the last three years he's got a 12% walk rate and only an 18% K rate. He's a switch hitter who's better against lefties than righties, but his split isn't huge as he's an above average hitter against both. He's played primarily LF the last few years, but Statcast says he's fast enough for CF and gets good jumps, so I imagine that's just in deference to Ramon Laureano.

He would be a good fit. It's hard to make predictions on who to sign, how much money we have to spend, etc. when it looks likely that we may trade 2 of Bryant/Schwarber/Contreras and what the return might be. Obviously trades would free up some more money, but might also fill 1-2 holes with young players which would switch the financial priorities.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:20 am

Mallex Smith is a FA now. He's only 28, had a .296/.367/.406 in 2018 for the Rays playing CF, stole 86 bases in 107 attempts in 2018-2019...

I think there's three scenarios he works for the Cubs:

- Schwarber's traded, Happ moves to LF, sign Kevin Pillar for CF, and sign a RHH 5th COF

- Cubs sign a RHH 4th OF capable of playing CF, sign Smith who can also play CF as the 5th OF, keep the same starters, use the bench more for defense occasionally play Bryant in RF for offense and largely trust the starters to hit (more likely)

- Trade Happ, sign Pillar, sign a backup RHH COF like Maybin

One catch is that Smith isn't a good defensive CF. OTOH he may be alright in a smaller CF? Seattle's is big and he was alright with the Rays

BTW Kevin Pillar hit .288/.336/.462 with a sub-20% K rate and was traded at the deadline so no QO, is a better FA than he was last offseason
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

bearjuice
Role Player

Postby bearjuice » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:40 am

I don’t believe that Epstein will do it in his last year here. With that said, why wouldn’t we try to trade across the board for young assets? This group isn’t winning the WS. (Kimbrel, Schwarber, Baez, Bryant, Rizzo, etc)
0 x
"We have to go out there and kill the Cardinals," Zambrano said.

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:22 am

MLBTR mentioned that many of these arb eligible players they were projecting salaries for today will just be non-tendered. Some interesting players I think get NT'd out of the bunch:

Travis Shaw LHHL IF
Johan Camargo SW IF
Delino Deshields Jr. CF
Ryne Stanek RHP
Matt Strahm LHP
Vince Velazquez RHP
Nick Burdi RHRP
Adam Frazier LHH IF
Chaz Roe RHP
Ryan McMahon LHH IF
Michael Fulmer RHSP
Tommy Kahnle RHRP
Carlos Rodon LHP
0 x

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:40 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:MLBTR mentioned that many of these arb eligible players they were projecting salaries for today will just be non-tendered. Some interesting players I think get NT'd out of the bunch:

Travis Shaw LHHL IF
Johan Camargo SW IF
Delino Deshields Jr. CF
Ryne Stanek RHP
Matt Strahm LHP
Vince Velazquez RHP
Nick Burdi RHRP
Adam Frazier LHH IF
Chaz Roe RHP
Ryan McMahon LHH IF
Michael Fulmer RHSP
Tommy Kahnle RHRP
Carlos Rodon LHP

Stanek (always been a fan, think there’s a high level RP in there still. Possibly a multi inning one) and Frazier (he does the contact thing and would be a decent DH vs RHP and is a caddy for Nico at 2B/can move Nico to CF/SS some) please.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:59 pm

Yeah, I'm big on giving Stanek a run as a reliever. He only became a full time reliever with the Marlins, had been a starter/opener/reliever for the Rays, and I think Hottovy can help him find a routine. He's got plenty of tools as a reliever with 3 pitches that draw big whiffs (four seam, split, slider) and the split gives him a different out pitch from Kimbrel and the curveballing/slidering possible holdovers

Plus I support this random conspiracy that he was traded and converted to full time relief to avoid having to many GS as he heads into arb. It's believable since the Rays have been doing slimy things with Yarbrough (a good trade target IMO, he and Margot are starting to make a little money), who they are fighting on the SP/RP tag as he hits arb:

https://twitter.com/JAsel32/status/1313953954406031360?s=20

Kahnle would be really interesting as a stash kind of reliever like Graveman, understated/underrated ability to avoid the longball but had TJ in August

Another NT candidate I don't hate for the bench is Hunter Renfroe. He mashes LHP: .258/.341/.574 in 495 career PAs, and has good defensive tools. There's alot of variance in his year to year defensive stuff but UZR likes him overall (+1.6 in 3226 OF innings). 5th OFer because I'd still like a good defensive CF on the depth chart in front whether it's signing Michael Taylor or "overpaying" in a Margot trade to be the 4th OF or trading Happ/Schwarber and signing Pillar to start
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:27 pm

BTW when the owners lift their little embargo on positive Cubs spin through their media, possibly next year I like to think, Tommy Hottovy is going to get much love as the best and hippest young pitching coach in the sport:

- Darvish is ~200 innings into being one of the handful best SPs in baseball, and within those 200 he's gotten better!!
- Hendricks has a whole new, Futureproof approach, is the rare established stud who raised his profile under the 60 game (Darvish too!)
- Fixed Kimbrel on the fly at the ML level, and more to the level it's happened because Kimbrel just looked dirty to finish the year
- Wick pre-oblique was pushing his way into set up material, could be an elite MR
- Tepera, Jason Adam, and Ryan as scrap heap pickups
- Jon Lester's ~3 fWAR between 2019 and Pandemic ball
- Adbert Alzolay's step forward
- Duane Underwood is a viable ML MR? 9 years with the org next year! 9!
- Alec Mills: viable depth at the ML level

I say Hottovy but future coverage will include Mike Borzello, Chris Young, Craig Breslow, the dude from Lipscomb etc as the MLB restructures their coaching with the NFL model (that way the list of people to blame for most fans before ownership is massive!). While the Cubs' pitching development is currently one of their mainstream negatives, it's hard to ignore that both the Derek Johnson - college pitching coaches were all the rage last year - and Hottovy hires have alot of imitators throughout the sport since and that Hottovy's biggest hits have been really big

Those guys are why I'm not pooping my pants about pitching this offseason. The two aces and a tippy top tier reliever are the hard part. The Cubs should feel some confidence being able to do whatever they did to turn around or improve guys like Arrieta, Strop, Hammel, Wick, Ryan, Tepera, Kimbrel, Darvish, Hendricks, etc with this coaching staff, and be able to really do well with pitching in the FA environment everyone seems to think is coming

Also also this is the first offseason in history I will be rooting for the Cubs to *keep* Duane Underwood unless he's the difference between a Lindor or Margot kind of obvious fit, which he won't be
3 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:53 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:BTW when the owners lift their little embargo on positive Cubs spin through their media, possibly next year I like to think, Tommy Hottovy is going to get much love as the best and hippest young pitching coach in the sport:

- Darvish is ~200 innings into being one of the handful best SPs in baseball, and within those 200 he's gotten better!!
- Hendricks has a whole new, Futureproof approach, is the rare established stud who raised his profile under the 60 game (Darvish too!)
- Fixed Kimbrel on the fly at the ML level, and more to the level it's happened because Kimbrel just looked dirty to finish the year
- Wick pre-oblique was pushing his way into set up material, could be an elite MR

I say Hottovy but future coverage will include Mike Borzello, Chris Young, Craig Breslow, the dude from Lipscomb etc as the MLB restructures their coaching with the NFL model (that way the list of people to blame for most fans before ownership is massive!). While the Cubs' pitching development is currently one of their mainstream negatives, it's hard to ignore that both the Derek Johnson - college pitching coaches were all the rage last year - and Hottovy hires have alot of imitators throughout the sport since and that Hottovy's biggest hits have been really big

Those guys are why I'm not pooping my pants about pitching this offseason. The two aces and a tippy top tier reliever are the hard part. The Cubs should feel some confidence being able to do whatever they did to turn around or improve guys like Arrieta, Strop, Hammel, Wick, Ryan, Tepera, Kimbrel, Darvish, Hendricks, etc with this coaching staff, and be able to really do well with pitching in the FA environment everyone seems to think is coming

Also also this is the first offseason in history I will be rooting for the Cubs to *keep* Duane Underwood unless he's the difference between a Lindor or Margot kind of obvious fit, which he won't be

Good stuff. Yeah if the Cubs managed to have an above average staff with what they put out there, I’m not too concerned about next year either. Focus most of your attention on fixing the offense.
1 x
Win it for Fred

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:47 pm

^^ Thanks

https://www.masslive.com/redsox/2020/10 ... ebook.html

When it comes to 40-man roster construction, it looks like the Red Sox have their work cut out for them early this offseason. With seven players on the 60-day injured list and six prospects needing to be added to the roster in order to be protected from the Rule 5 draft, Boston has 40 spots for 53 candidates and a bunch of cuts to make before the middle of November.

ON THE FENCE, BUT EXPENDABLE (1): OF Marcus Wilson

Wilson was acquired last April from Arizona for Blake Swihart and impressed in 2019, but he wasn’t added to the player pool (or invited to the Pawtucket alternate site) until very late in the year, which says something. If a roster spot is needed, he could be expendable.

Wilson put up .269/.357/.492 between High A and AA in 2019, then hit .333/.412/.467 in 34 AFL PAs with a K rate just over 20%. He's a tall and pretty lean (6'3" 200+) RHH who plays a good CF and can run a little...Other highlights including hitting .295/.383/.446 over 445 PAs in the MWL at 20 with a K rate juuuust above 20% (20.2), a 12% walk rate in his 2081 MiL PAs, was one of the handful youngest players in the 2014 draft, 2nd round pick
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:00 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:BTW when the owners lift their little embargo on positive Cubs spin through their media, possibly next year I like to think, Tommy Hottovy is going to get much love as the best and hippest young pitching coach in the sport:

Good stuff. Yeah if the Cubs managed to have an above average staff with what they put out there, I’m not too concerned about next year either. Focus most of your attention on fixing the offense.

How much of the pitching impact is due to Contreras’s framing? Is that a repeatable skill?
0 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:41 pm

CubinNY wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

How much of the pitching impact is due to Contreras’s framing? Is that a repeatable skill?

Several guys who were really bad and took a big leap forward have kept those gains. Realmuto is the main example that comes to mind, but Jason Castro and others have too. He's probably not the best in the league like he was this year, but he's probably legitimately good now. And even if he ends up getting shipped out, Vic has shown to be good, and it sounds like Amaya is as well.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:20 pm

FORMER Marlins exec Michael Hill should absolutely be on the shortest of short lists of Theo replacements. Maybe the one I'd say the Cubs should dump Theo for now. We already know he can work under meddlesome owners with sinister ulterior motives
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:21 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:FORMER Marlins exec Michael Hill should absolutely be on the shortest of short lists of Theo replacements. Maybe the one I'd say the Cubs should dump Theo for now. We already know he can work under meddlesome owners with sinister ulterior motives

PTR is just gonna promote the leftovers up a spot so he only has to hire a low level scout.
0 x

Named After Maddux
Starter

Postby Named After Maddux » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:52 am

The Logan wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:FORMER Marlins exec Michael Hill should absolutely be on the shortest of short lists of Theo replacements. Maybe the one I'd say the Cubs should dump Theo for now. We already know he can work under meddlesome owners with sinister ulterior motives

PTR is just gonna promote the leftovers up a spot so he only has to hire a low level scout.

The best outcome would be for Jason McLeod to find his long foretold GM position. The Cubs would surely allow him out of his contract, which would actually free up money for the front office. I still have hopes that Theo is waiting to step aside if the Cubs can land a GM like Jared Porter this offseason.
0 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:14 am

Named After Maddux wrote:
The Logan wrote:

The best outcome would be for Jason McLeod to find his long foretold GM position. The Cubs would surely allow him out of his contract, which would actually free up money for the front office. I still have hopes that Theo is waiting to step aside if the Cubs can land a GM like Jared Porter this offseason.

The best outcome would be for some club to take Theo and give us a really good compensation player. Nothing would dramatically change in the FO and Hoyer could then work on the trades that need to happen with one hole in the roster possibly filled.
0 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:52 pm

Good fluff piece on the Cubs catching situation, And doesn't even really get into the Hearn/Quintero/Altuve trio in the low minors.

I think you have to trade one of the upper level guys this winter. Though who I think depends on how you want to weight 2021 in your planning. Contreras is probably the most valuable trade chip the team has, so if you're okay not giving 100% this year he's the obvious choice. Otherwise, I think given that Contreras and Caratini each have a few more years of control and the trio at the lower levels Amaya is safe to deal.

Vic would be the half measure, which probably means that's exactly what Theo's going to do. He's too good to be a backup, but not so good that he's particularly valuable. Dealing him for a B- prospect and signing like Alex Avila would have a real ring of the La Stella/Descalso swap.
2 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:31 pm

Bertz wrote:https://twitter.com/TonyAndracki23/status/1318222196549050370?s=19

Good fluff piece on the Cubs catching situation, And doesn't even really get into the Hearn/Quintero/Altuve trio in the low minors.

I think you have to trade one of the upper level guys this winter. Though who I think depends on how you want to weight 2021 in your planning. Contreras is probably the most valuable trade chip the team has, so if you're okay not giving 100% this year he's the obvious choice. Otherwise, I think given that Contreras and Caratini each have a few more years of control and the trio at the lower levels Amaya is safe to deal.

Vic would be the half measure, which probably means that's exactly what Theo's going to do. He's too good to be a backup, but not so good that he's particularly valuable. Dealing him for a B- prospect and signing like Alex Avila would have a real ring of the La Stella/Descalso swap.

I wouldn't trade Contreras unless it was an offer that couldn't be refused. With the DH, both catchers can get lots of playing time. Bryant & Schwarber will save the most in money and Bryant should get a decent return (even after a bad year).
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:28 pm

I’m fine trading Vic if we can get a potential rotation arm or a contacty bat. I’m not a huge fan, he’s good as a backup C, but think his offense is closer to 2020 and 2018 than 2019. If some team thinks he can start and pay the appropriate price I’d move him.

I go back to Jon Gray, the Rockies got -1.2 WAR from catchers last year. Worst in MLB. I wonder if there’s some sort of Vic for Gray (with other parts) move. Gray is a FA after the year and the Rockies don’t seem to overly like him and also cry poor and he’ll make decent money in his final year of arb.

A Yu, Kyle, Gray, FA (Q or Lester back maybe), Adbert/Mills/etc rotation would be pretty solid.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:34 pm

I tend to agree the trading Caratini and signing a backup would have much the same vibe as swapping TLS for Descalso. If we're all pretending the Cubs are poor, I think trading him for a more expensive player coming off career lows (Gray's velocity dropped 2 MPH from 2019's) *and* then being forced to sign a more expensive, older, and less versatile backup is some huge mismanagement.

I'm obviously not against trading him outright but also don't see how they get decent value without making a bigger trade than Gray. Gray's someone they should be able to send prospects for if he avoids the NT, wouldn't even consider him an option at the price of a clearly valuable to this roster and ultra cheap player

I do like the Rockies for Contreras some. The top of their system has a nice mix of arms (Olivarez, Rolison, Bowden?) and bats (Lavigne!) plus there's a MLer or two that can help 2021 (McMahon, Estevez)
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:55 am

Woohoo, Cubs have made the speculative rounds! :bigconfetticannon:

MLBTR wrote:Cubs

The Cubs already have a shortstop in Javier Baez, but he had a shockingly rough 2020 and does have extensive experience at second base. Maybe president of baseball operations Theo Epstein, who’s seeking to change around the Cubs’ offense, would acquire Lindor and move Baez to the keystone in hopes of giving the club a jolt. Chicago does have a notable young middle infielder in Nico Hoerner, but he hasn’t hit since debuting in 2019.

Fun fact: Hoyer planned to take Lindor at 10 i 2011, flew out to see him

https://nypost.com/2016/10/23/when-base ... vs-lindor/
0 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:40 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:Woohoo, Cubs have made the speculative rounds! :bigconfetticannon:

The Cubs already have a shortstop in Javier Baez, but he had a shockingly rough 2020 and does have extensive experience at second base. Maybe president of baseball operations Theo Epstein, who’s seeking to change around the Cubs’ offense, would acquire Lindor and move Baez to the keystone in hopes of giving the club a jolt. Chicago does have a notable young middle infielder in Nico Hoerner, but he hasn’t hit since debuting in 2019.

They were mentioned as one of 11 teams that might have interest in Lindor. Of course, most of the other teams actually have either: (1) a bigger need at SS, (2) the prospects needed to complete a trade, (3) an owner willing to spend the money to keep Lindor.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:40 pm

Backtobanks wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:Woohoo, Cubs have made the speculative rounds! :bigconfetticannon:

They were mentioned as one of 11 teams that might have interest in Lindor. Of course, most of the other teams actually have either: (1) a bigger need at SS, (2) the prospects needed to complete a trade, (3) an owner willing to spend the money to keep Lindor.

You think too highly of other teams and their owners! Baez would move.

Teams I'd eliminate among those 11 before the Cubs:

Reds - Their big rental was Bauer, light on prospects
Blue Jays - In play for basically all the FAs, meh on their presence in trades
Twins - Just not happening
Phillies - Don't have the prospects, likely only an opportunistic FA spender this offseason (Semien?)
Dodgers - Placed in by media because Dodgers, but Seager/Lux already has the kind of upside up the middle to keep them spectators and their top prospects after Lux are meh
0 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:34 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:

Phillies - Don't have the prospects, likely only an opportunistic FA spender this offseason (Semien?)
Dodgers - Placed in by media because Dodgers, but Seager/Lux already has the kind of upside up the middle to keep them spectators and their top prospects after Lux are meh

Do you really think Theo is going to trade 3 or 4 of Amaya, Hoerner, Marquez, Caratini, and Davis for 1 year of Lindor? Also, What would PTR think of adding $20 million to the payroll for 2021 and hundreds of millions in extensions after that?
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:49 pm

Backtobanks wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:

Do you really think Theo is going to trade 3 or 4 of Amaya, Hoerner, Marquez, Caratini, and Davis for 1 year of Lindor? Also, What would PTR think of adding $20 million to the payroll for 2021 and hundreds of millions in extensions after that?

Is going? Eh, Indians have to agree. Is willing? Sure

and

"dad's gonna be pissed if this doesn't work"
0 x

Return to “Transactions”