2020 Offseason Thread

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 62677
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3542
x 12656

Re: 2020 Offseason Thread

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:55 pm

this terrible offseason knows no end
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Post Count Padder
Superstar
Posts: 15314
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:51 pm
Location: Bad Things Happen in Philadelphia
x 218
x 308

Re: 2020 Offseason Thread

Postby Post Count Padder » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:12 pm

It's really not a big deal in the end, but it annoys me that we just let Ervin go and his spot is probably going to Maybin. I think Ervin would've handled that spot better. Honestly still prefer having both of them to giving a few million to Marisnick but whatever.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

JeffH
All-Star
Posts: 3684
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:40 pm
Location: Sugar Land, TX
x 1
x 15

Re: 2020 Offseason Thread

Postby JeffH » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:26 pm

Post Count Padder wrote:It's really not a big deal in the end, but it annoys me that we just let Ervin go and his spot is probably going to Maybin. I think Ervin would've handled that spot better. Honestly still prefer having both of them to giving a few million to Marisnick but whatever.


One thing that we don't always consider is how an individual player will react to sporadic duty. I'm too lazy to look at Ervin's game logs to see if his better performance in some way correlates to regular or semi-regular stretches of playing time.
0 x

Bertz
All-Star
Posts: 2790
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 1104
x 1689

Re: 2020 Offseason Thread

Postby Bertz » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:57 pm

Post Count Padder wrote:It's really not a big deal in the end, but it annoys me that we just let Ervin go and his spot is probably going to Maybin. I think Ervin would've handled that spot better. Honestly still prefer having both of them to giving a few million to Marisnick but whatever.


I do think it likely says something that the Mariners, who project to have just over 3 WAR from their entire outfield combined, just let him go for nothing. If he was really a good bet to OPS .800+ vs lefties like his career numbers say, he wouldn't have been let go from two reasonably intelligent and very OF needy teams.
0 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar
Posts: 15314
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:51 pm
Location: Bad Things Happen in Philadelphia
x 218
x 308

Re: 2020 Offseason Thread

Postby Post Count Padder » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:44 pm

Re-organizing the bullpen chairs

The Cubs are designating right-hander Robert Stock for assignment, per Jordan Bastian of MLB.com (Twitter link). The move clears 40-man roster space for left-hander Kyle Ryan, who was activated from the COVID-19 list, per Russell Dorsey of the Chicago Sun-Times. Chicago claimed Stock off waivers from the Red Sox last December.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

Bertz
All-Star
Posts: 2790
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 1104
x 1689

Re: 2020 Offseason Thread

Postby Bertz » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:38 pm

I would have preferred to keep Stock. But now that camp's open and they've got these guys throwing in front of Trackman every other day, it's hard to argue with whatever they decide.

Now that we know Wick is out for a while, and Ryan's not too much worse for the wear from his Covid, I'd guess this is the opening day pen we're looking at?

CL - Kimbrel
SU - Chafin
SU - Workman
MRP - Adam*
MRP - Winkler
MRP - Tepera
MRP - Ryan*
MRP - Holder*
LRP - Underwood
*Has MiLB options

I'd guess Ryan and Holder's spots are most tenuous. Dillon Maples is out of options, so maybe he gets Holder's spot just for one last chance to show he can throw strikes? I believe I read that they altered his delivery a bit. This also assumes Alzolay has another option remaining and opens up at Iowa to manage his innings. If that's wrong that's a further squeeze on one of those bottom three guys.
0 x

JeffH
All-Star
Posts: 3684
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:40 pm
Location: Sugar Land, TX
x 1
x 15

Re: 2020 Offseason Thread

Postby JeffH » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:16 pm

Bertz wrote:I would have preferred to keep Stock. But now that camp's open and they've got these guys throwing in front of Trackman every other day, it's hard to argue with whatever they decide.

Now that we know Wick is out for a while, and Ryan's not too much worse for the wear from his Covid, I'd guess this is the opening day pen we're looking at?

CL - Kimbrel
SU - Chafin
SU - Workman
MRP - Adam*
MRP - Winkler
MRP - Tepera
MRP - Ryan*
MRP - Holder*
LRP - Underwood
*Has MiLB options

I'd guess Ryan and Holder's spots are most tenuous. Dillon Maples is out of options, so maybe he gets Holder's spot just for one last chance to show he can throw strikes? I believe I read that they altered his delivery a bit. This also assumes Alzolay has another option remaining and opens up at Iowa to manage his innings. If that's wrong that's a further squeeze on one of those bottom three guys.


Most of the bullpen projections I've seen just assume that Kohl Stewart is definitely going to be optioned to the minors. I wonder if that's necessarily true.
0 x

Bertz
All-Star
Posts: 2790
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 1104
x 1689

Re: 2020 Offseason Thread

Postby Bertz » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:24 pm

JeffH wrote:
Bertz wrote:I would have preferred to keep Stock. But now that camp's open and they've got these guys throwing in front of Trackman every other day, it's hard to argue with whatever they decide.

Now that we know Wick is out for a while, and Ryan's not too much worse for the wear from his Covid, I'd guess this is the opening day pen we're looking at?

CL - Kimbrel
SU - Chafin
SU - Workman
MRP - Adam*
MRP - Winkler
MRP - Tepera
MRP - Ryan*
MRP - Holder*
LRP - Underwood
*Has MiLB options

I'd guess Ryan and Holder's spots are most tenuous. Dillon Maples is out of options, so maybe he gets Holder's spot just for one last chance to show he can throw strikes? I believe I read that they altered his delivery a bit. This also assumes Alzolay has another option remaining and opens up at Iowa to manage his innings. If that's wrong that's a further squeeze on one of those bottom three guys.


Most of the bullpen projections I've seen just assume that Kohl Stewart is definitely going to be optioned to the minors. I wonder if that's necessarily true.


I tend to be down on Stewart, less because of anything specific to him and more because I think the Twins really know what they're doing on the pitching end. And so if they let him go for nothing that's a red flag for me.
0 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 27998
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 9257
x 6148

Re: 2020 Offseason Thread

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:23 pm

0 x
Screw Pitchers

Post Count Padder
Superstar
Posts: 15314
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:51 pm
Location: Bad Things Happen in Philadelphia
x 218
x 308

Re: 2020 Offseason Thread

Postby Post Count Padder » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:56 pm

Kinda surprised Stock made it through but that's a fun extra depth option.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:


Return to “Transactions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests