The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby Cubswin11 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:21 pm

Anybody know how much the Ricketts spent/borrowed for all the renovations and developments? Even a rough guess? I’m seeing $375 million from some old articles about just renovations but nothing overly recent or if that ended up actually costing more and that doesn’t include the other things they’ve put money in around Wrigley for other projects. Obviously they did those things to one day make money (if they aren’t already seeing a payback). It still isn’t an excuse because the money is there regardless to sign Bryce, just more curios than anything.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:39 pm

My guess is something changed with the TV deal projections. horsefeathering greedy scum.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:46 pm

theo seems to do better when his back is to the wall and he has to get creative anyways

(If I say it out loud it has to be true)
0 x
Win it for Fred

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:48 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:My guess is something changed with the TV deal projections. horsefeathering greedy scum.

That would be my guess too if these reports are true about money being tight. They realized they’re getting less and adjusted the budget/projections accordingly. Which sucks because the money is still there if they wanted it to be and also because we missed out on that bubble to take advantage of. I think Clown Kenney was overseeing the TV stuff.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:55 pm

UMFan83 wrote:theo seems to do better when his back is to the wall and he has to get creative anyways

(If I say it out loud it has to be true)

GM meetings are this week, so we should be getting some Theo and Jed interviews and quotes within the next 2-3 days. They’ll be vague comments in all likelihood but hopefully we’re able to get some better clarity on all this whenever we start hearing and seeing stuff from them.
1 x
Screw Pitchers

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:56 pm

Every November we hear variations on ‘boy I don’t know, we’ll have to see if there’s room in the budget, we’ll have to be smart with our spending’, and then every year they end up with a Lester, a Heyward, a Darvish. Again, the most salient bit of information we have this offseason is that the front office(who has made not so subtle allusions to pursuing Harper on multiple occasions) knows what they have to work with and chose to give Hamels 20 million. Does it make more sense for a suddenly cash-strapped front office to do that, or does it make more sense that they’re signaling conservatism in the first hours of free agency like most teams and especially this team typically does?

5 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:01 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Every November we hear variations on ‘boy I don’t know, we’ll have to see if there’s room in the budget, we’ll have to be smart with our spending’, and then every year they end up with a Lester, a Heyward, a Darvish. Again, the most salient bit of information we have this offseason is that the front office(who has made not so subtle allusions to pursuing Harper on multiple occasions) knows what they have to work with and chose to give Hamels 20 million. Does it make more sense for a suddenly cash-strapped front office to do that, or does it make more sense that they’re signaling conservatism in the first hours of free agency like most teams and especially this team typically does?

Yeah I still mostly think this is the case (obviously I want this to be true vs them not spending) but this is the same stuff we see every offseason with teams posturing and outside of the last ~48 hours goes against almost everything we’ve heard for a much longer time.

Also the idea the Cubs are doing this to brace the fans for disappointment or gauge their reaction if they don’t sign Harper/Machado seems a little narcissistic by fans/media. I don’t think the Cubs, or any sports team, cares that much about their fans to do that.

The Braves GM has some quotes this weekend about being unsure of ever committing to 10+ year deals and them not making sense. Teams are just doing what they do to try and manipulate things.
Last edited by Cubswin11 on Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:12 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:knows what they have to work with and chose to give Hamels 20 million. Does it make more sense for a suddenly cash-strapped front office to do that

If they're deciding to gamble on the bats they have all clicking again and realizing (rightly) that their starting pitching is held together by Popsicle sticks and rubber bands, yes, it definitely makes sense.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:37 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:knows what they have to work with and chose to give Hamels 20 million. Does it make more sense for a suddenly cash-strapped front office to do that

If they're deciding to gamble on the bats they have all clicking again and realizing (rightly) that their starting pitching is held together by Popsicle sticks and rubber bands, yes, it definitely makes sense.

I still think it's also misleading to say they chose to give Hamels 20 million, without knowing if they really would have given him the $20 million without a coresponding move to save $7 million and really only make it a $13 million transaction.

I don't think there is any question the Cubs aren't broke. They can do one year deals for $13 million. But if they are trying to keep flexibility for future years, these are the kinds of moves you make.
0 x
Not saying it will happen, but the Cubs coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series does seem like the appropriate way to cap off this season and make the 30-for-30 even better.

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:48 pm

Bryant's Disco Ball wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

I still think it's also misleading to say they chose to give Hamels 20 million, without knowing if they really would have given him the $20 million without a coresponding move to save $7 million and really only make it a $13 million transaction.

I don't think there is any question the Cubs aren't broke. They can do one year deals for $13 million. But if they are trying to keep flexibility for future years, these are the kinds of moves you make.

What would we be trying to stay flexible for though? If you have money (we do) you stay flexible for when a guy like Bryce hits FA
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:51 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

What would we be trying to stay flexible for though? If you have money (we do) you stay flexible for when a guy like Bryce hits FA

Maybe they'd rather stick with extending the guys they already have, figuring it won't cost them as much and is an easy way to please plenty of fans even if they suck. Who the horsefeathers knows; they're monsters.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:00 am

Paul Sullivan seems to have been the most shut off from info since Theo got here amongst the beat guys. So maybe he wasn’t in on the coordinated leaks by the Cubs to manipulate the media. He paints a better picture here than what we’ve seen from everyone else.

Last edited by Cubswin11 on Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:04 am

Lol I lenjoy how that tweet is tease of what to expect in this week’s news/episode/content. Soap opera nonsense but I will, of course, stay tuned!
0 x
Spoiler: show

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:11 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:but I will, of course, stay tuned!

Me too.

0 x
► Show Spoiler

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:30 am

Next year's class is the following position players.....

Goldy-32
Gennett-30
Bogaerts-27
Gregorius-30
Arenado-29
Rendon-30
Ozuna-29
Hicks-30
Castellanos-28
Puig-29

And MAYBE JD opts out of 3/62 at age 32......

So, what the horsefeathers are we waiting on? You don't get chances at guys like Bryce or Manny often. And if you hold off, you've got THIS group, which doesn't compare to either of those 2 guys. (Maybe Arenado, but I doubt we'd ask KB to change positions, unless we don't plan on keeping him)
1 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:33 am

davell wrote:Next year's class is the following position players.....

Goldy-32
Gennett-30
Bogaerts-27
Gregorius-30
Arenado-29
Rendon-30
Ozuna-29
Hicks-30
Castellanos-28
Puig-29

So, what the horsefeathers are we waiting on? You don't get chances at guys like Bryce or Manny often. And if you hold off, you've got THIS group, which doesn't compare to either of those 2 guys. (Maybe Arenado, but I doubt we'd ask KB to change positions, unless we don't plan on keeping him)

Just curious, what does the next class look like?
0 x
Not saying it will happen, but the Cubs coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series does seem like the appropriate way to cap off this season and make the 30-for-30 even better.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:37 am

It's going to be really lame when Harper and Machado sign with boring ass teams like Atlanta and Philadelphia
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:40 am

davell wrote:Next year's class is the following position players.....

Goldy-32
Gennett-30
Bogaerts-27
Gregorius-30
Arenado-29
Rendon-30
Ozuna-29
Hicks-30
Castellanos-28
Puig-29

Just curious, what does the next class look like?

Most notable names that matter:

Mike Trout
Mookie Betts
George Springer

EDIT: Springer will be on the wrong side of 30 then. He won't matter.

That's it.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/2021/
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:09 am

Whoever pays arenado will regret it
4 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:14 am

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:Whoever pays arenado will regret it

Agree, especially because he’ll probably be looking for whatever Manny gets as his comp (he won’t get that but that’s probably going to be his rough starting point) and end up at 6-8 years for ~$25 mil aav.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:47 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:but I will, of course, stay tuned!

Me too.

Oh, I’ll be ready too:

0 x
Spoiler: show

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:34 am

“Position of depth” I’d assume means Kintzler and Duensing which shouldn’t take a ton to move. Catatini, Maples, Mekkes, etc types attached to either should be enough
0 x
Screw Pitchers

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:33 pm

Morosi's column this morning literally mentioned us being more enamored with future FA classes, and brought up Arenado specifically.

horsefeathers, this is the "excuse" they're gonna run with?
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:35 pm

davell wrote:

Morosi's column this morning literally mentioned us being more enamored with future FA classes, and brought up Arenado specifically.

horsefeathers, this is the "excuse" they're gonna run with?

The Cubs were linked to Machado early in the midsummer trade market, but the talks never gained momentum. Despite the uncertainty surrounding Cubs shortstop Addison Russell, it's unclear if the Cubs will pursue Machado this offseason. In general, the Cubs seem more enamored with players becoming available via free agency in future offseasons -- such as Rockies third baseman Nolan Arenado -- than those in the current class. However, it's noteworthy that Harper would welcome the opportunity to play with childhood friend Kris Bryant -- and reportedly has a dog named Wrigley.

https://www.mlb.com/news/manny-machado- ... -300231462
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:47 pm

Wow Chicago linked to both Harper AND Manny

0 x
Win it for Fred

Return to “Transactions”