The Bryce is Right, Bitch

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:36 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
Bryant's Disco Ball wrote:I'm alleging you are the Cat. You love the Cat big-time.

I know this can't be true because nobody on this site loves themselves.

add self-loathing to the list of things we know about jersey. we'll have your home address in no time, gary?

I haven't been in Indiana in years
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:55 pm

What I stated in no shape or form was defeatist regarding signing Harper, Machado or both, of course, I wanted the Cubs to sign both. It just does not appear to be realistic, sure, I like Theo to say horsefeathers it, sign both, crush the NL, make sawdust of the NL Central and win the WS.
Last edited by gflore34 on Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:08 pm

The Phils need to make their move soon so we can lock this thread at 108 pages.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:23 pm

if kb is healthy that's great, but rest didn't help last year and it's not like he was out with a hamstring injury, it was a shoulder thing. look over in RF if you don't think those can have a longterm impact on your swing/power

heyward is 100 percent healthy, but the shoulder injury lowered the bar for what he could accomplish when healthy.

and even if everything *is* 100 percent cool, (by my count) only 4 players (McCutcheon, Miguel Cabrera, Trout and Votto) have posted more than three 6 WAR seasons since 2010 (Bryant has 3.) So it's not like it's some sure deal that he ever reaches that level again even if 100 percent healthy.

I mean everyone is upset because we aren't giving $300 million to Harper (we should) and he only has 1 6-WAR season to his credit.
2 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:33 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:if kb is healthy that's great, but rest didn't help last year and it's not like he was out with a hamstring injury, it was a shoulder thing. look over in RF if you don't think those can have a longterm impact on your swing/power

heyward is 100 percent healthy, but the shoulder injury lowered the bar for what he could accomplish when healthy.

and even if everything *is* 100 percent cool, (by my count) only 4 players (McCutcheon, Miguel Cabrera, Trout and Votto) have posted more than three 6 WAR seasons since 2010 (Bryant has 3.) So it's not like it's some sure deal that he ever reaches that level again even if 100 percent healthy.

I mean everyone is upset because we aren't giving $300 million to Harper (we should) and he only has 1 6-WAR season to his credit.

All of this is true.

It's also true that Bryant has reached that level in every season in which he was "fully" healthy and also was on pace to go well past 6 WAR last year before the injury. It's possible that the injury will limit the finish on his swing going forward and that his results dip as a result.

But I'll take bets on the gap between his 2018 and 2019 more than offsetting the dip in Javy's, assuming KB and Javy each play in 145+ games. Any of you doom bonering people want to wager?
1 x
Spoiler: show

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:34 pm

Tim wrote:
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:if kb is healthy that's great, but rest didn't help last year and it's not like he was out with a hamstring injury, it was a shoulder thing. look over in RF if you don't think those can have a longterm impact on your swing/power

All of this is true.

It's also true that Bryant has reached that level in every season in which he was "fully" healthy and also was on pace to go well past 6 WAR last year before the injury. It's possible that the injury will limit the finish on his swing going forward and that his results dip as a result.

But I'll take bets on the gap between his 2018 and 2019 more than offsetting the dip in Javy's, assuming KB and Javy each play in 145+ games. Any of you doom bonering people want to wager?

i actually have more faith in javy not dipping *that* much than i do in Bryant getting back to 2016-17 levels of production right now
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:35 pm

I am so here for the new majority doom boner zeitgeist
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:35 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
Tim wrote:

All of this is true.

i actually have more faith in javy not dipping *that* much than i do in Bryant getting back to 2016-17 levels of production right now

I purposefully set myself up to have two ways to win that bet.

Unfortunately, there are also two ways to lose.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:37 pm

Tim wrote:

All of this is true.

I offered to make wagers as a responce to his doom bonering before. I never heard back. (Although, that 145+ game stipulation is pretty significant.)
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:37 pm

Tim wrote:

All of this is true.

There's more volatility in my javy expectations than bryant. I think Kris will be fine.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:39 pm

Wait. Did the bears end up having an elite running game this year?
0 x

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:51 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
Tim wrote:

All of this is true.

I offered to make wagers as a responce to his doom bonering before. I never heard back. (Although, that 145+ game stipulation is pretty significant.)

Easiest way to quantify “healthy” this far in advance. To Tim’s credit, would also include “relatively healthy,” so he’s givng more than he has to.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:58 pm

Tim wrote:

All of this is true.

Just set a simple fWAR over/under for Bryant, you coward.
1 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:16 pm

0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:35 pm

0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:02 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Tim wrote:

All of this is true.

Just set a simple fWAR over/under for Bryant, you coward.

I'm responding pretty exactly to the statements you and David made with this bet. Are you not willing to back up your talk?
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:04 pm

You are the absolute worst.

Gimme the under on a 6 fWAR season.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:06 pm

And on a 4 fWAR season for Baez.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:00 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:And on a 4 fWAR season for Baez.

I bet he wins mvp

Of my heart
0 x

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:43 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Gimme the under on a 6 fWAR season. (for Bryant)

Bryant in 2018: 2.3

Baez in 2018: 5.3

So a relatively healthy Bryant gains 3.7 fWAR, making up for the 1.3 fWAR Baez loses almost three times over.

It seems you and Tim agree.
0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:52 pm

Bull wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Gimme the under on a 6 fWAR season. (for Bryant)

Bryant in 2018: 2.3

Baez in 2018: 5.3

So a relatively healthy Bryant gains 3.7 fWAR, making up for the 1.3 fWAR Baez loses almost three times over.

It seems you and Tim agree.

1 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:00 pm

everyone stfu about kb
1 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:03 pm

17 Seconds wrote:everyone stfu about kb

Yeah. This thread could use good news or distractions but I don’t think he’s ready to shoulder that load
2 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:19 pm

There's still like 5% of me that wishfully thinks we swoop in and get him in the end.

Picture how horsefeathering awesome it would be to actually see that play out and have him show up at spring training in a couple weeks.
0 x

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:25 pm

David wrote:There's still like 5% of me that wishfully thinks we swoop in and get him in the end.

Picture how horsefeathering awesome it would be to actually see that play out and have him show up at spring training in a couple weeks.

crazy that it was like 4 months ago we all assumed that was just a foregone conclusion
2 x

Return to “Transactions”