The Bryce is Right, Bitch

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby David » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:30 am

The Logan wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:I did see one of those odds sites update their Harper odds and the Cubs were listed (at like 4000-1 but still)

I would 100% buy into this silly conspiracy theory for $10 at those odds.

it was +4000, not 4000-1

0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:12 am

I don’t see why any team would help the Cubs get Harper by taking Heyward and Zobrist in a trade.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:13 am

Derwood wrote:I don’t see why any team would help the Cubs get Harper by taking Heyward and Zobrist in a trade.

i don't see why a bunch of teams who aren't even trying to get harper would care if they can get a deal that makes sense for them. particularly with zobrist, who has surplus value.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:15 am

Derwood wrote:I don’t see why any team would help the Cubs get Harper by taking Heyward and Zobrist in a trade.

Well obviously it’s a trade and it would have to provide some benefit to the other team. I’m not sure if a random rebuilding AL team cares if they are facilitating the Cubs getting Harper if it means they are picking up a top Cubs prospect or two along with a player they can spin off at the deadline (Zobrist) or a respected clubhouse guy that can try to overhaul his offense in a no pressure situation while still providing positive value overall
0 x
Win it for Fred

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:19 am

UMFan83 wrote:

Well obviously it’s a trade and it would have to provide some benefit to the other team. I’m not sure if a random rebuilding AL team cares if they are facilitating the Cubs getting Harper if it means they are picking up a top Cubs prospect or two along with a player they can spin off at the deadline (Zobrist) or a respected clubhouse guy that can try to overhaul his offense in a no pressure situation while still providing positive value overall

or even just a good team that knows it isn't in the harper market. zobrist at $12M for one year is an attractive option for a lot of teams.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:22 am

David wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

or even just a good team that knows it isn't in the harper market. zobrist at $12M for one year is an attractive option for a lot of teams.

True, he was literally the 2nd most valuable player on a 95 win team last year by fWAR
0 x
Win it for Fred

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:29 am

If it is the giants, it theoretically gets them two decent players at a discount, adds to their farm AND keeps Harper out of LA.

All theorectical though. Totally not happening.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:47 am

The Ricketts are stupid.
2 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:57 am

David wrote:
The Logan wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:I did see one of those odds sites update their Harper odds and the Cubs were listed (at like 4000-1 but still)

I would 100% buy into this silly conspiracy theory for $10 at those odds.

it was +4000, not 4000-1

0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:11 am

David wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

Zobrist's contract isn't what is stopping them from going for Harper. Heyward is an albatross contract that makes sense for no one to take on without considerable other pieces
0 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:40 am

i haven't said anything about it because it didn't seem worth mentioning. and...it still doesn't. but, at the cubs convention zobrist had a live radio session (it's probably online somewhere) at the hotel and I was about 10 feet away with some insanely overpriced beer in my hand and he was talking about "not taking any rumors to heart" but at the same time "understanding that baseball is a business and players are commodities" or things of that nature. things like he understands "it's a business and knows people can be traded at any point". none of those are close to what he actually said but it's the best I can do for my half-assed attempt to see a cubs player in real life and avoid the slobs surrounding me. unless i was a season ticket holder. then i could have waited in line to get randy rosario's signature.

i didn't think much of it and tbh still don't. but it just kind of struck me odd because he didn't really dispel anything and rumors weren't exactly rampant at that time (or now). just seemed like he was privy to some info the rest of us weren't.

this concludes my bogus theory and i thank you all for reading.
0 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:52 am

and i suppose for the record i should clarify i don't think he's the missing piece in the cubs not getting harper. but it wouldn't surprise me for the front office to let him know his name is being floated about if it meant they felt the roster as a whole would be updated. he was very mature about it from his words, but, i can also see him being salty about it as a veteran. he was late to the cubs convention and late to spring training. could be (and probably is) a coincidence.

but i wore tennis shoes to work today because i woke up and my back ached and so i can only assume zobrist felt he earned his stripes, too. we are both veterans in our craft so it's basically apples to apples as far as i can tell.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:17 am

weis21 wrote:and i suppose for the record i should clarify i don't think he's the missing piece in the cubs not getting harper. but it wouldn't surprise me for the front office to let him know his name is being floated about if it meant they felt the roster as a whole would be updated. he was very mature about it from his words, but, i can also see him being salty about it as a veteran. he was late to the cubs convention and late to spring training. could be (and probably is) a coincidence.

but i wore tennis shoes to work today because i woke up and my back ached and so i can only assume zobrist felt he earned his stripes, too. we are both veterans in our craft so it's basically apples to apples as far as i can tell.

I was deeply involved in a Type A vs Type B as they relate to FHA, IBC and IRC discussion today and it occurred to me that all you really need are walls around the bathroom. The rest could be handled with cabinetry and casework.

Obviously, it all means we’re getting Harper
0 x

Cubfanintheknow
All-Star

Postby Cubfanintheknow » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:43 am

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
weis21 wrote:and i suppose for the record i should clarify i don't think he's the missing piece in the cubs not getting harper. but it wouldn't surprise me for the front office to let him know his name is being floated about if it meant they felt the roster as a whole would be updated. he was very mature about it from his words, but, i can also see him being salty about it as a veteran. he was late to the cubs convention and late to spring training. could be (and probably is) a coincidence.

I was deeply involved in a Type A vs Type B as they relate to FHA, IBC and IRC discussion today and it occurred to me that all you really need are walls around the bathroom. The rest could be handled with cabinetry and casework.

Obviously, it all means we’re getting Harper

I’m sold.
0 x

Bluescale
All-Star

Postby Bluescale » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:47 am

Everyone here should know that even if we traded Heyward and Zobrist, we'd probably eat the savings because...uh...we really believe in Happ and Bote as as cornerstones of this team going forward.
0 x
A toast to Darrel Sink - a lifelong Cubs fan. You'll be missed.

Bear Cub
Starter

Postby Bear Cub » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:19 am

It is strange that Heyward is not playing for some reason. I smell something!
0 x
Bring Sammy back into the Cubs family!

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:39 pm

take the tinfoil hats off, Zobrist and Heyward both playing today (for the Cubs)
0 x

champaignchris
Starter

Postby champaignchris » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:07 pm

The longer this goes without Harper signing with another team, the more likely it is he signs with the Cubs. Right?... Right? RIGHT!?!?!?

This offseason is silly.
1 x

Little Slide Rooter
Formerly West Side Rooter

Postby Little Slide Rooter » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:26 pm

So it looks like it’s down to the Phillies and Giants. But here’s my thing: are either of those organizations currently strong enough that Bryce Harper makes them good enough to put them over the top? And are their pockets deep enough that they can build enough around him to put them there? Because this isn’t the NBA, where a single superstar can instantly reverse the fortunes of a mediocre team. But that’s just my 2 cents. Keep the change.
0 x
We won the World Series.

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:51 pm

Little Slide Rooter wrote:So it looks like it’s down to the Phillies and Giants. But here’s my thing: are either of those organizations currently strong enough that Bryce Harper makes them good enough to put them over the top? And are their pockets deep enough that they can build enough around him to put them there? Because this isn’t the NBA, where a single superstar can instantly reverse the fortunes of a mediocre team. But that’s just my 2 cents. Keep the change.

You can keep the 2 cents too.
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:53 pm

Brian wrote:take the tinfoil hats off, Zobrist and Heyward both playing today (for the Cubs)

Showcase IMO
4 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:26 pm

They should move the Winter Meetings to the first weekend in March
0 x

TMan92
5-Time All-Star

Postby TMan92 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:35 pm

Little Slide Rooter wrote:So it looks like it’s down to the Phillies and Giants. But here’s my thing: are either of those organizations currently strong enough that Bryce Harper makes them good enough to put them over the top? And are their pockets deep enough that they can build enough around him to put them there? Because this isn’t the NBA, where a single superstar can instantly reverse the fortunes of a mediocre team. But that’s just my 2 cents. Keep the change.

At this point, keeping him out of LA is all I care about. Adding another all star in the West will take a couple games from the Dodgers and really doesn't hurt our chances to win the NL. HIm going to Philly is more concerning.
0 x

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:44 pm

Brian wrote:take the tinfoil hats off, Zobrist and Heyward both playing today (for the Cubs)

0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

champaignchris
Starter

Postby champaignchris » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:48 pm

Little Slide Rooter wrote:...are either of those organizations currently strong enough that Bryce Harper makes them good enough to put them over the top?

No. It probably puts the Phillies solidly in wild card contention and gets the Giants out of last place and somewhere around 3rd place in their division.

And are their pockets deep enough that they can build enough around him to put them there?

Probably. The Giants will spend. They just have a ton of bad contracts right now. The Phillies have said that they'll spend and have been throwing money all over the place (in relation to other teams, that is). The Giants are in a pretty bad salary hole right now, but will probably be able to content in 2 or 3 years. And they desperately need outfield solutions right now. The Phillies have some nice young talent that should get better. They could be contenders really soon with Harper.

So, neither team is a sure shot chance to compete for the WS over the next couple years that the Cubs, Nats, Dodgers or Yankees would be, but there's a pretty reasonable chance that they'll both compete for a WS at some point during the first half of a hypothetical 10 year contract.
0 x

Return to “Transactions”