THE Bryce Harper in 2018 Thread

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 60414
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 7472
x 4591

Re: THE Bryce Harper in 2018 Thread

Postby David » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:18 pm

I hate the parallels to LeBron in 2010 (but we have Theo, so whatever), but the Cubs are listed as favorites at +150 to be Harper's team next year on this betting site

https://www.betdsi.eu/sportsbook-bettin ... mlb-props/
0 x
Image

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21780
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 5093
x 4080

Re: THE Bryce Harper in 2018 Thread

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:30 pm

David wrote:I hate the parallels to LeBron in 2010 (but we have Theo, so whatever), but the Cubs are listed as favorites at +150 to be Harper's team next year on this betting site

https://www.betdsi.eu/sportsbook-bettin ... mlb-props/

It’s semantics at this point like opt outs, where he decides to live in Chicago, if his and KB’s wife’s get a reality TV show, how much guaranteed money he gets, etc., I’m nearly certain
2 x
Screw Pitchers

champaignchris
Starter
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:40 pm
x 4
x 102

Re: THE Bryce Harper in 2018 Thread

Postby champaignchris » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:06 pm

Looking at the Nats’ situation, they’re really in a tough spot in 2019.

Strasburg, Scherzer and Zimmerman will be combining to make about $96M. All told, in terms of guaranteed contracts and arbitration estimates, with no options picked up, the Nats will be on the hook for about $145M for 12 players. It’s tough to see how they can afford to bring Harper back and put any sort of team around him without going way, way, way over the LT.

If they don’t make the WS this year, it’s tough to argue why they should spend so much money to try again with basically the same cast of characters (minus Gio Gonzalez, Murphy, and pretty much their entire bullpen).
0 x

User avatar
Brian
Hall of Fame
Posts: 26144
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Chicago
x 32
x 3122
Contact:

Re: THE Bryce Harper in 2018 Thread

Postby Brian » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:46 am

this just in - Bryce Harper is good
0 x

User avatar
TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist
Posts: 32047
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:57 am
x 2072
x 5123
Contact:

Re: THE Bryce Harper in 2018 Thread

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:04 pm

he hasn't struck out yet this year
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 76124
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 8910
x 12022

Re: THE Bryce Harper in 2018 Thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:15 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:he hasn't struck out yet this year


Cubs going the extra mile to show much he'd be appreciated here.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist
Posts: 32047
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:57 am
x 2072
x 5123
Contact:

Re: THE Bryce Harper in 2018 Thread

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:22 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:he hasn't struck out yet this year


Cubs going the extra mile to show much he'd be appreciated here.


lmao this reminds of some OU fans back in the day. They went to the national championship game (i think it was 2003) and got to the goal line at the end of the game. A touchdown would win the game. They threw a couple incomplete passes and lost.

I knew some people who argued they did that to show Adrian Peterson (a 2004 recruit) how badly they needed a RB. Makes perfect sense.
0 x

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 60414
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 7472
x 4591

Re: THE Bryce Harper in 2018 Thread

Postby David » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:24 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:he hasn't struck out yet this year


Cubs going the extra mile to show much he'd be appreciated here.


lmao this reminds of some OU fans back in the day. They went to the national championship game (i think it was 2003) and got to the goal line at the end of the game. A touchdown would win the game. They threw a couple incomplete passes and lost.

I knew some people who argued they did that to show Adrian Peterson (a 2004 recruit) how badly they needed a RB. Makes perfect sense.

was 2003 the year mcgahee's knee blew up? only reason i remember that is i remember watching it from where i was working at the time.

er i guess you meant the 2003 season
0 x
Image

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 76124
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 8910
x 12022

Re: THE Bryce Harper in 2018 Thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:53 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:he hasn't struck out yet this year


Cubs going the extra mile to show much he'd be appreciated here.


lmao this reminds of some OU fans back in the day. They went to the national championship game (i think it was 2003) and got to the goal line at the end of the game. A touchdown would win the game. They threw a couple incomplete passes and lost.

I knew some people who argued they did that to show Adrian Peterson (a 2004 recruit) how badly they needed a RB. Makes perfect sense.


Image
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6375
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:32 am
x 4
x 12

Re: THE Bryce Harper in 2018 Thread

Postby Backtobanks » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:30 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:he hasn't struck out yet this year


Obviously he's not a fit for this team.
0 x

User avatar
TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5304
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 293
x 398

Re: THE Bryce Harper in 2018 Thread

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:22 am

I like this angle with Harper:

Harper is the admirable baseball villain of our time, and it's so much fun. A couple of days ago in Cincinnati, he came to the plate and you can plainly hear a fan shout out "overrated" about one second before he tattooed a monster home run to straightaway center field. That's perfect villain stuff. Then on Monday in Atlanta, they played "Imperial March" from "Star Wars" when Harper came to the plate -- that's the song that always plays when Darth Vader is involved -- and he crushed another ridiculous home run to center field.

...

Players have different reactions to booing. Most don't care or at least say they don't care. Some take it a little bit to heart. And every now and again, there's a player who loves the boos, who feeds off of them, who enjoys being the pro wrestling heel.


If anyone forgot his first ML plate appearance - Cole Hamels hit him with a pitch on purpose and Harper went on to steal home.
0 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21780
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 5093
x 4080

Re: THE Bryce Harper in 2018 Thread

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:05 am

13 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
PackLandVA
All-Star
Posts: 2019
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:42 pm
Location: Embracing the suck...somewhere.
x 214
x 291

Re: THE Bryce Harper in 2018 Thread

Postby PackLandVA » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:12 am

Cubswin11 wrote:https://twitter.com/jamalcollier/status/981350998030585856?s=21


=D>
0 x
Sticks the landing!!!

User avatar
JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star
Posts: 1176
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:20 am
Location: Peoria Hills, 61630
x 555
x 272

Re: THE Bryce Harper in 2018 Thread

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:36 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:I like this angle with Harper:

Harper is the admirable baseball villain of our time, and it's so much fun. A couple of days ago in Cincinnati, he came to the plate and you can plainly hear a fan shout out "overrated" about one second before he tattooed a monster home run to straightaway center field. That's perfect villain stuff. Then on Monday in Atlanta, they played "Imperial March" from "Star Wars" when Harper came to the plate -- that's the song that always plays when Darth Vader is involved -- and he crushed another ridiculous home run to center field.

...

Players have different reactions to booing. Most don't care or at least say they don't care. Some take it a little bit to heart. And every now and again, there's a player who loves the boos, who feeds off of them, who enjoys being the pro wrestling heel.


If anyone forgot his first ML plate appearance - Cole Hamels hit him with a pitch on purpose and Harper went on to steal home.


That did happen, but his first plate appearance was vs. the Dodgers.
1 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 65889
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 4724
x 4722

Re: THE Bryce Harper in 2018 Thread

Postby Banedon » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:24 pm



0 x
Image

User avatar
PackLandVA
All-Star
Posts: 2019
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:42 pm
Location: Embracing the suck...somewhere.
x 214
x 291

Re: THE Bryce Harper in 2018 Thread

Postby PackLandVA » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:49 pm

During “Game Night” this past offseason, Bryant’s wife mouthed “over rated” just before Bryce dropped the word “quickly” with a triple word score in Scrabble. BOOM!! Sixty-six points plus an additional 50 for using all his tiles. Don’t mess with Bryce.
0 x
Sticks the landing!!!

User avatar
javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie
Posts: 9044
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:46 pm
Location: Chicago
x 1312
x 541

Re: THE Bryce Harper in 2018 Thread

Postby javy knows my name » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:15 pm

I've been spending a lot of time in DC lately and needling Nats fans about future Cub Bryce Harper. For most, the Cubs aren't even on their radar. They expect him either to be signed by 1) the Yankees or 2) the Nats, in that order. I don't think most of them have any idea of how the luxury tax works.
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21780
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 5093
x 4080

Re: THE Bryce Harper in 2018 Thread

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:53 pm

5 x
Screw Pitchers

TarzanJoeWallis
Role Player
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:35 pm
x 556
x 7

Re: THE Bryce Harper in 2018 Thread

Postby TarzanJoeWallis » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:48 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:

We went to see the Cubs in Atlanta last year and their organist was one of the most enjoyable aspects of the series. Always playing something clever that would take a moment to get, then make us chuckle.
0 x

User avatar
Bear Cub
Starter
Posts: 337
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:22 am
Location: Geneseo, Il
x 963
x 17

Re: THE Bryce Harper in 2018 Thread

Postby Bear Cub » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:30 am

250 pages on this Thread before next season?
0 x
Bring Sammy back into the Cubs family!

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 67655
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 916
x 1806

Re: THE Bryce Harper in 2018 Thread

Postby Derwood » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:59 pm

Only if 230 of them are the celebration of signing him
1 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21780
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 5093
x 4080

Re: THE Bryce Harper in 2018 Thread

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:13 pm

Didn’t see Bryce commenting on the Yankees snow out on opening day last week
2 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie
Posts: 9044
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:46 pm
Location: Chicago
x 1312
x 541

Re: THE Bryce Harper in 2018 Thread

Postby javy knows my name » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:30 pm

I don't think I'd seen Quintana smile before. It's weird
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

User avatar
Bobson Dugnutt
All-Star
Posts: 1843
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:19 pm
Location: Ukrainian Village
x 1167
x 790

Re: THE Bryce Harper in 2018 Thread

Postby Bobson Dugnutt » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:46 pm

javy knows my name wrote:I don't think I'd seen Quintana smile before. It's weird


honestly took me a second to figure out who that was and i think it was because of the smile
0 x
Image

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 55490
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 411
x 5611

Re: THE Bryce Harper in 2018 Thread

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:48 pm

I wonder what Carl is looking at in that picture
0 x


Return to “Transactions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 6 guests