The Bryce is Right, Bitch

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 34239
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man
x 1906
x 1964

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:20 pm

Tim wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:If we really need to move salary to pull this off, signing Darcish was a franchise-changing mistake

You know, unless:

1) they move salary to pull it off
2) Darvish is healthy and producing as expected


Any plan that requires a 30-something pitcher with a history of arm problems to pull off is a bad plan.

This would have been an utterly uncontroversial statement a year ago when we all just knew there was no way Darvish would impact our ability to sign Harper at all.
0 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8979
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:45 am
Location: ECU
x 5872
x 1166

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby weis21 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:03 am

Maybe the have the money, have had and always were willing to spend the money, but ideally would like to move money and stay under LT restrictions bc that would be even better. They could just be doing this to save more money to address other roster issues (see: bullpen) on top of all of this. It’s smart to try to sign him for the lowest price possible. It’s just dumb to not sign him (or at least put out an offer that could)
0 x

Perd
Starter
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:39 am
x 28
x 187

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby Perd » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:37 am

horsefeathers it. horsefeathers is back on. Bryce is going to be a Cub. Merry Christmas, mofos!
0 x

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 61269
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 8396
x 5057

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby David » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:36 pm

0 x
Image

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 23564
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 6489
x 4661

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:45 pm

It’s a lot of Heyman circle talk and hedging but some good stuff to hear from a national guy who at least, hopefully, is hearing half truths.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Bertz
Starter
Posts: 938
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 374
x 500

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby Bertz » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:49 am

Cubswin11 wrote:It’s a lot of Heyman circle talk and hedging but some good stuff to hear from a national guy who at least, hopefully, is hearing half truths.


A guy who has historically been well connected with Boras to boot.

My current guess is that they have lined up the salary dump(s) they need to sign Bryce, but they're painful. Could be using Happ to dump Heyward, or using top prospects to dump Chatwood, but whatever it is it's something otherwise not worth doing without Bryce. If they can reel him in, we will see 3-4 moves in a row like when Lester signed. If they whiff on Bryce, we see the more modest Plan B offseason.
5 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar
Posts: 14890
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:51 pm
Location: In your dreams
x 52
x 170

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby Post Count Padder » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:27 am

Brett at Bleacher Nation gave some thoughts on all that Heyward to SF rumor nonsense and suggested something like Heyward for Cueto and Melancon, freeing up some money for Harper in the long run/giving us another SP option in 2020 after Cueto rehabs. Not great, but that's one possible way to be free of Heyward's contract.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 23564
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 6489
x 4661

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:40 am

Post Count Padder wrote:Brett at Bleacher Nation gave some thoughts on all that Heyward to SF rumor nonsense and suggested something like Heyward for Cueto and Melancon, freeing up some money for Harper in the long run/giving us another SP option in 2020 after Cueto rehabs. Not great, but that's one possible way to be free of Heyward's contract.

I read that and the Cueto idea is a little interesting, basically acquire the Hamels/Chatwood replacement this year for next year while he rehabs (in theory, maybe he’s just toast). Cueto and Melancon ups the LT hit the next two years pretty significantly though. It would be interesting if reducing the LT hit or minimizing the total dollars owed to guys are what we want to do the most.

The total savings on a Heyward for Cueto/Melancon swap really isn’t all that significant though. The overall savings is $12 million, Heyward is owed ~$106 mil yet and those two owed ~$94 mil but it’s likely mostly negated when factoring in penalties for the increased upper LT tax the next two years and time value of the money paid out sooner on Cueto and Melancon vs over the longer life of Heyward’s deal as both guys deals are done sooner than Heyward’s.

In the end this trade really doesn’t put us in that much better of a spot. Heyward and prospects for just one of those guys could be something that helps quite a bit though.

I also do really like the Chatwood for Russell Martin swap they mentioned in the article as well (Martin is owed more this year, Chatwood just a little more overall but Martin has a higher LT hit). If we could pull off something like Chatwood, Kintzler (Kintzler to offset money/LT this year and maybe we throw money back next year), and prospects for Martin and then Heyward + prospects and/or money for Cueto that could really help reduce some long term money, the LT doesn't end up in all that better shape for this year though.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame
Posts: 23016
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:36 am
x 830
x 1643

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby 17 Seconds » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:44 am

my hopes are way back up now that some time has passed since LA made those moves (and because of all the kluber rumors)
1 x

Stu
Starter
Posts: 444
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:20 pm
Location: San Juan, PR
x 28

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby Stu » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:50 pm

Bertz wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:It’s a lot of Heyman circle talk and hedging but some good stuff to hear from a national guy who at least, hopefully, is hearing half truths.


A guy who has historically been well connected with Boras to boot.

My current guess is that they have lined up the salary dump(s) they need to sign Bryce, but they're painful. Could be using Happ to dump Heyward, or using top prospects to dump Chatwood, but whatever it is it's something otherwise not worth doing without Bryce. If they can reel him in, we will see 3-4 moves in a row like when Lester signed. If they whiff on Bryce, we see the more modest Plan B offseason.



But if this is the case (bolded part), couldn't it also be that Boras is playing him too to create a more robust market for Harper?
0 x

Bertz
Starter
Posts: 938
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 374
x 500

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby Bertz » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:17 pm

Stu wrote:
Bertz wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:It’s a lot of Heyman circle talk and hedging but some good stuff to hear from a national guy who at least, hopefully, is hearing half truths.


A guy who has historically been well connected with Boras to boot.

My current guess is that they have lined up the salary dump(s) they need to sign Bryce, but they're painful. Could be using Happ to dump Heyward, or using top prospects to dump Chatwood, but whatever it is it's something otherwise not worth doing without Bryce. If they can reel him in, we will see 3-4 moves in a row like when Lester signed. If they whiff on Bryce, we see the more modest Plan B offseason.



But if this is the case (bolded part), couldn't it also be that Boras is playing him too to create a more robust market for Harper?


100%. There's a pretty good chance that Bryce doesn't want to go to the Sox, the Phillies and Yankees are focused more on Machado, and all this recent Cubs optimism is just meant to turn the screws on the Dodgers.
0 x

User avatar
KingCubsFan
All-Star
Posts: 3520
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:39 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
x 2
x 58

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby KingCubsFan » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:57 pm

Stu wrote:
Bertz wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:It’s a lot of Heyman circle talk and hedging but some good stuff to hear from a national guy who at least, hopefully, is hearing half truths.


A guy who has historically been well connected with Boras to boot.

My current guess is that they have lined up the salary dump(s) they need to sign Bryce, but they're painful. Could be using Happ to dump Heyward, or using top prospects to dump Chatwood, but whatever it is it's something otherwise not worth doing without Bryce. If they can reel him in, we will see 3-4 moves in a row like when Lester signed. If they whiff on Bryce, we see the more modest Plan B offseason.



But if this is the case (bolded part), couldn't it also be that Boras is playing him too to create a more robust market for Harper?

Seems strange to use the team that everybody thinks is broke.
0 x

Stu
Starter
Posts: 444
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:20 pm
Location: San Juan, PR
x 28

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby Stu » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:08 pm

KingCubsFan wrote:
Stu wrote:
Bertz wrote:
A guy who has historically been well connected with Boras to boot.

My current guess is that they have lined up the salary dump(s) they need to sign Bryce, but they're painful. Could be using Happ to dump Heyward, or using top prospects to dump Chatwood, but whatever it is it's something otherwise not worth doing without Bryce. If they can reel him in, we will see 3-4 moves in a row like when Lester signed. If they whiff on Bryce, we see the more modest Plan B offseason.



But if this is the case (bolded part), couldn't it also be that Boras is playing him too to create a more robust market for Harper?

Seems strange to use the team that everybody thinks is broke.


That's just Theo being next level :D
0 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar
Posts: 14890
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:51 pm
Location: In your dreams
x 52
x 170

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby Post Count Padder » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:02 pm

I just remembered Bryce named his dog Wrigley. We have nothing to worry about.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 66792
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 5511
x 5352

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby Banedon » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:35 pm

3 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 23564
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 6489
x 4661

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:16 am

Well, keep trolling Bryce
Attachments
Dv0IStUUwAEimEt.jpg
Dv0IStUUwAEimEt.jpg (138.85 KiB) Viewed 1444 times
2 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
The_Achiever
Starter
Posts: 982
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:28 am
x 448
x 200

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby The_Achiever » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:13 pm

I respect the fanbase trolling so hard. Which of course make me want him to be a Cub even more.
0 x

User avatar
JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star
Posts: 1289
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:20 am
Location: Peoria Hills, 61630
x 684
x 377

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:44 pm

Bryce didnt post that, I dont count this as him trolling
0 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 68838
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1112
x 2250

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby Derwood » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:53 pm

Bryce and Kris look like awesomely fun party bros who you would want to go hang out with but then you'd find out that their champagne glasses are filled with La Croix and then they'd invite you to their bible study group
15 x

User avatar
JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star
Posts: 3723
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Denver, CO
x 3522
x 1491

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:07 pm

Derwood wrote:Bryce and Kris look like awesomely fun party bros who you would want to go hang out with but then you'd find out that their champagne glasses are filled with La Croix and then they'd invite you to their bible study group

This is PRECISELY how Mormons operate. Ever been to a Mormon Dance?
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

User avatar
PackLandVA
All-Star
Posts: 2192
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:42 pm
Location: Still loving the Cubs, despite the hot takes on this board lately!
x 312
x 353

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby PackLandVA » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:35 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
Derwood wrote:Bryce and Kris look like awesomely fun party bros who you would want to go hang out with but then you'd find out that their champagne glasses are filled with La Croix and then they'd invite you to their bible study group

This is PRECISELY how Mormons operate. Ever been to a Mormon Dance?


No, but I do like movies about gladiators.
8 x
Sticks the landing!!!

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 59691
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2642
x 9190

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:18 pm

JennieGarthAlgar wrote:Bryce didnt post that, I dont count this as him trolling

But he’s flying the W
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

NOLA
All-Star
Posts: 3837
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:17 am
Location: Bywater, New Orleans
x 670
x 421
Contact:

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby NOLA » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:22 pm

PackLandVA wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
Derwood wrote:Bryce and Kris look like awesomely fun party bros who you would want to go hang out with but then you'd find out that their champagne glasses are filled with La Croix and then they'd invite you to their bible study group

This is PRECISELY how Mormons operate. Ever been to a Mormon Dance?


No, but I do like movies about gladiators.

Holy god, this is great.
0 x

User avatar
Deeg
All-Star
Posts: 1520
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:14 pm
Location: Kagurazaka, Japan
x 17
x 43

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby Deeg » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:29 am

Look, Bryce and Bryant are besties, legitimately. It's not trolling for them to be goofy rich guys too young to have all that money showing themselves having a great time. Is he supposed to pretend he and Bryant aren't buddies for fear people will take it the wrong way?
0 x
“Hopefully, we’ll have two of the most important currencies in the game – impactful young players and available payroll dollars and go make some hay. But we’re not there yet. We haven’t accomplished anything yet.”

User avatar
The Logan
Superstar
Posts: 15132
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:03 am
Location: Lakeview
x 5279
x 1777

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby The Logan » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:21 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
JennieGarthAlgar wrote:Bryce didnt post that, I dont count this as him trolling

But he’s flying the W


:) Which is a real...

8-) Shocker
2 x
Image


Return to “Transactions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests