The Bryce is Right, Bitch

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: THE Bryce Harper in 2018 Thread

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:52 pm

So this is going to be a year long saga it sounds like, might as well bump this old thread and use it as the defacto Harper news/rumors thread.

For anyone concerned with the recent Boras talks with Nats owners:

0 x
Win it for Fred

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:53 pm

I for one am shocked the early extension talks went nowhere
0 x
Screw Pitchers

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:55 pm

MarkR wrote:This seems like a major pipe dream to me. Great player no doubt, but I have almost zero interest in him at his proposed price point. Regardless of how much money is printed at Wrigley, the Cubs aren't going to launch their payroll into the stratosphere and into the nasty tax range. If you're expecting that, I'd wager you're going to be disappointed.

Nah.
1 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:55 pm

If this boring offseason pays off with Harper next offseason, it'll be well worth it.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:58 pm

MarkR wrote:This seems like a major pipe dream to me. Great player no doubt, but I have almost zero interest in him at his proposed price point. Regardless of how much money is printed at Wrigley, the Cubs aren't going to launch their payroll into the stratosphere and into the nasty tax range. If you're expecting that, I'd wager you're going to be disappointed.

Harper is the type of player you make exceptions for. He’s that special level of talent/age that rarely hits FA, so you sign him and deal with the ramifications later.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:12 pm

I think Harper will have an opt out after the 2021 season when his friend Bryant is a free agent. Hopefully, they both decide to stay. And, yes, I'm already counting on Harper being healthy and a Cub.
0 x
Not saying it will happen, but the Cubs coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series does seem like the appropriate way to cap off this season and make the 30-for-30 even better.

Perd
Role Player

Postby Perd » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:18 pm

A pox upon any scoundrel that casts aspersions on this beautiful inevitability.
8 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:55 pm

David wrote:

Nah.

By next year the Cubs will own an entire city block and more of retail and hotel. They will have enough money for anyone they want. Also, they will get a fat check for $50M from the sale of BAM they can salt away in escrow for a year.
2 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:17 pm

You guys sure showed that post from over a year ago.
5 x
► Show Spoiler

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:23 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:You guys sure showed that post from over a year ago.

I knew it was old. That was kind of the point (how much worse it's beginning to look in hindsight)...I'm not sure if the other replies were immediately aware, tho.
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:50 pm

Theo won't blink an eye on 40 per on Harper, nor should he. The opt outs involved will allow for him to get even more cash too. Theo ain't even truly trying to hide this either.

The key is keeping from hitting 245 mill next year and we'll be able to do that.

If we miss on him though, who DO we spend on? And I'm not thinking Machado is the actual answer.....

Kikuchi? Kershaw? Blackmon or Pollock? One of the closers like Britton, Kimbrel, or Miller?

Obviously, in some of those casee you can grab multiples for the same money it'd count on the LT for Bryce.

Still, I think we're getting Harper anyway.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

KingCubsFan
All-Star

Postby KingCubsFan » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:55 pm

davell wrote:Theo won't blink an eye on 40 per on Harper, nor should he. The opt outs involved will allow for him to get even more cash too. Theo ain't even truly trying to hide this either.

The key is keeping from hitting 245 mill next year and we'll be able to do that.

If we miss on him though, who DO we spend on? And I'm not thinking Machado is the actual answer.....

Kikuchi? Kershaw? Blackmon or Pollock? One of the closers like Britton, Kimbrel, or Miller?

Obviously, in some of those casee you can grab multiples for the same money it'd count on the LT for Bryce.

If we don't get Harper, I'd give the money to Machado. He's one of the few that I'd replace Addison with.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:59 pm

KingCubsFan wrote:
davell wrote:Theo won't blink an eye on 40 per on Harper, nor should he. The opt outs involved will allow for him to get even more cash too. Theo ain't even truly trying to hide this either.

If we don't get Harper, I'd give the money to Machado. He's one of the few that I'd replace Addison with.

Easily Machado

I wouldn’t be surprised if they sign Britton in any scenario.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:01 pm

i was gonna say easily machado (and prob still do)

but did anyone notice what a pooey (by his standards) 2017 he had?
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:02 pm

davell wrote:If we miss on him though, who DO we spend on? And I'm not thinking Machado is the actual answer....

I haven't thought about this very hard, but my initial reaction is you do what it takes to buy out a year or two of Bryant's free agency as a first step.
1 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:05 pm

I think it's all but a fait accompli that Machado winds up w/ the Yankees.

Thus, that means he'll sign with StL.

I see the financials show a Harper signing is indeed possible, even w/ Zombie Heyward still on the books, but I'll remain worried about the Phillies. It'll be interesting to see what happens if they indeed take a big step forward this year.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:21 pm

The 2020 version of the Phillies in my Road to the Show this time has their lineup anchored by Harper and Schwarber.

And Rizzo is on the White Sox.

Bryant is still on the Cubs, but he's mostly just OK, while Heyward is still there and inexplicably turned into a hitting superstar.

It's pretty horsefeathers up.
1 x
► Show Spoiler

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:25 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:The 2020 version of the Phillies in my Road to the Show this time has their lineup anchored by Harper and Schwarber.

Bryant is still on the Cubs, but he's mostly just OK, while Heyward is still there and inexplicably turned into a hitting superstar.

Thanks for the update, Derwood
18 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:28 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
davell wrote:If we miss on him though, who DO we spend on? And I'm not thinking Machado is the actual answer....

I haven't thought about this very hard, but my initial reaction is you do what it takes to buy out a year or two of Bryant's free agency as a first step.

Doubt Boras allows that to happen.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:32 pm

We are going to end up with Harper unless some team comes in and offers some ridiculous offer like 12/500+. But in the case we don't get him yeah Machado should definitely be a target, then trade 1 of Russell or Javy for some pitching (maybe even try and attach Zobrist and the last year of his contract in that deal to save some money). I would agree too that in the event we miss out try and offer Bryant an extension with the aav that Machado/Harper get.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:33 pm

Derwood wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:The 2020 version of the Phillies in my Road to the Show this time has their lineup anchored by Harper and Schwarber.

Thanks for the update, Derwood

0 x
► Show Spoiler

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:36 pm

davell wrote:

Boras isn't going to refuse out of spite, and ultimately it's not his decision. It'll just be expensive.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:36 pm

Of course in Mr. DoomBoner's virtual reality we lose all of our good players and Bryant is just okay. But yeah in my different versions of RTTS (always choose to be pitcher since you can get more seasons in) this happens to me too. Bryant sticks around and is really average, Harper never comes, Schwarber has been on the Phillies, Cardinals and some other team by like 2019, Rizzo is gone around 2020 and has been on the Orioles, Giants and some other team Russell and Javy stick around but Russell seems to turn in to a bench player and some create a player always takes over at SS, Almora usually sticks around too and ends up being okay. The rotation always ends up with some random middle of the road SP too like Jake Odorizzi, Porcello, Wacha, etc who's in his mid 30s but puts up ridiculous CY Young level seasons around 2022. Oh an we end up with like Logan Morrison or Matt Adams or Lucas Duda type or rookie create a player at 1B and they are always MVP 40 dong 3/4 hitter by 2020 as well.
Last edited by Cubswin11 on Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Screw Pitchers

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:42 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:

Of course in Mr. DoomBoner's virtual reality we lose all of our good players and Bryant is just okay. But yeah in my different versions of RTTS (always choose to be pitcher since you can get more seasons in) this happens to me too. Bryant sticks around and is really average, Schwarber has been on the Phillies, Cardinals and some other team by like 2019, Rizzo is gone around 2020 and has been on the Orioles, Giants and some other team Russell and Javy stick around but Russell seems to turn in to a bench player and some create a player always takes over at SS, Almora usually sticks around too and ends up being okay.

Hah! It's got a pretty clear MO. Contreras ended up on the Diamondbacks by 2020, too. Baez and Russell are still there, but they're basically platoon players with whatever cheap, mediocre MI the AI decides to sign for 1-year contracts. Basically the Cubs won the WS again in 2020 thanks to my pitcher basically being Ohtani fully realized on the mound and at the plate and Heyward confusingly being Mike Trout-esque.
1 x
► Show Spoiler

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:44 pm

davell wrote:

Boras isn't going to refuse out of spite, and ultimately it's not his decision. It'll just be expensive.

That's true. I just doubt KB would actually have an interest in doing it himself. Obviously, its based on nothing though.
0 x

Return to “Transactions”