The Bryce is Right, Bitch

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22603
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:36 am
x 766
x 1346

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby 17 Seconds » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:17 pm

I wish the Cubs would stop making me sad
0 x

Bull
Formerly MrWood
Posts: 3743
Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 3:54 pm
Location: Not St Louis anymore!
x 96
x 375

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby Bull » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:20 pm

17 Seconds wrote:I wish the Cubs would stop making me sad

Head on over to the anniversary thread. You'll be happy again.
0 x
Image

BigSlick
Superstar
Posts: 13759
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:04 pm
x 2274
x 390

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby BigSlick » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:40 pm

I've always thought the field had the advantage on the Cubs on getting Harper so I haven't really gotten too tied up in expecting him to come here, but its still a bummer to not really see much buzz at all
0 x
Image
"The only good sabermetrician is a dead one." --Andrew Jackson, 1776.

I have to admit its getting better...it can't get no worse - The Beatles (On the Cubs)

User avatar
Flames24Rulz
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22285
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:37 pm
Location: Rockford, IL
x 186
x 36
Contact:

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby Flames24Rulz » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:47 pm

I gotta admit, I'm pretty annoyed & frustrated that the billionaire, pro-Trump loving owner is penny pinching when two of the best hitters in baseball are free agents.
0 x

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 33764
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man
x 1666
x 1581

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:07 pm

Flames24Rulz wrote:I gotta admit, I'm pretty annoyed & frustrated that the billionaire, pro-Trump loving owner is penny pinching when two of the best hitters in baseball are free agents.


When you phrase it like that, it gives me Pujols/Fielder flashbacks.
0 x

r_mack
Starter
Posts: 296
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:51 am
x 38
x 37

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby r_mack » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:42 am

Seems to me like the Cubs window is quickly shutting
0 x

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 76828
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 2710
x 4053
Contact:

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:43 am



Honestly the more I see this posted by so many people the more convinced I am that this is what the Cubs want out there
3 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22522
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 5622
x 4307

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:46 am

r_mack wrote:Seems to me like the Cubs window is quickly shutting

I know, we might only win 92 games next year if we bring back largely the same team with some tweaks.*





(Obviously we should be adding more, I’m not saying I’m fine with this)*
0 x
Screw Pitchers

davell
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21362
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:55 pm
x 1789
x 2280

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby davell » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:49 am

UMFan83 wrote:https://twitter.com/joelsherman1/status/1059564339311460354?s=21

Honestly the more I see this posted by so many people the more convinced I am that this is what the Cubs want out there


It might be Theo putting it out there, hoping to get Ricketts to change his mind, because everyone's pissed.
1 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22522
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 5622
x 4307

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:52 am

UMFan83 wrote:https://twitter.com/joelsherman1/status/1059564339311460354?s=21

Honestly the more I see this posted by so many people the more convinced I am that this is what the Cubs want out there

Yeah it really does seem like that, what the ultimate motivation is who knows. The GM meetings are this week..... maybe they want to get some trades done sooner than later and they feel getting this out when they’re in the same building as every other team’s FO for a week will help expedite trades so they can then clear whatever they need to, to focus mostly on FA the rest of the offseason.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6385
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:40 am
Location: In a Glass Case of Emotion
x 21
x 203

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:02 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
r_mack wrote:Seems to me like the Cubs window is quickly shutting

I know, we might only win 92 games next year if we bring back largely the same team with some tweaks.*





(Obviously we should be adding more, I’m not saying I’m fine with this)*

On one hand, you can argue that this team can and should make the playoffs almost every year for the next 4-5 seasons, and anything can happen in the playoffs. The other side of the argument is that the roster is somewhat flawed and there are other objectively better teams . Sure, the Cubs could beat the Red Sox in a 7 game series, but that isn't the likely outcome. I would hope the Cubs would attempt to maximize this rare window and give themselves the best chance to win, not just straddle the line of winning and profits and roll the dice that they can get lucky in the playoffs.
0 x
Retired User Name: Jody, Jody Davis (2005-2012)

User avatar
Old Style
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8832
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:57 pm
Location: Bedford, TX
x 3742
x 404

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby Old Style » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:16 am

Theo is just playing chess with Boras. Bryce will be a Cub.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 77125
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 9482
x 12618

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:23 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:https://twitter.com/joelsherman1/status/1059564339311460354?s=21

Honestly the more I see this posted by so many people the more convinced I am that this is what the Cubs want out there

Yeah it really does seem like that


What the horsefeathers would even be the point.

"Oh, man, the Cubs are so crafty, what with pretending like they can't afford those free agents that literally everyone else wants."

This isn't some tricky multi-team deal or some kind of under the radar signing they're trying to pull off; it's horsefeathering Bryce horsefeathering Harper. Pretending to be poor accomplishes horsefeathers all.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22522
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 5622
x 4307

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:28 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:https://twitter.com/joelsherman1/status/1059564339311460354?s=21

Honestly the more I see this posted by so many people the more convinced I am that this is what the Cubs want out there

Yeah it really does seem like that


What the horsefeathers would even be the point.

"Oh, man, the Cubs are so crafty, what with pretending like they can't afford those free agents that literally everyone else wants."

This isn't some tricky multi-team deal or some kind of under the radar signing they're trying to pull off; it's horsefeathering Bryce horsefeathering Harper. Pretending to be poor accomplishes horsefeathers all.

I think it’s more to potentially speed up interest and timeframe on trades for guys more than being sneaky on Bryce. Teams read and hear “we have a limited budget” and prefer trades over FA maybe it means a few teams check in quicker with us than they normally would or now check in on some guys when they normally wouldn’t and we can ultimately move a guy(s) earlier in the offseason (even if it’s just a Kintzler or Duensing).
0 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 77125
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 9482
x 12618

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:36 am

Why are teams going to be inclined to get a trade done sooner if the Cubs are strapped for cash? Like, who is that going to rush along outside of teams trying to swap bad contracts?

I just don't get the people who are so adamant why this is some kind if elaborate ruse when there's little to no advantage to the Cubs to be broadcasting that they're looking for change in the couch.
1 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Gilby
All-Star
Posts: 4467
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:13 pm
Location: Des Moines
x 883
x 431

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby Gilby » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:39 am

Theo's upping his chess game after watching the success Stearns has had over the past year
3 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 77125
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 9482
x 12618

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:41 am

Like, hasn't this FO's typical move in the past been largely going radio silent when they're trying to get something done?
0 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22522
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 5622
x 4307

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:45 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:Why are teams going to be inclined to get a trade done sooner if the Cubs are strapped for cash? Like, who is that going to rush along outside of teams trying to swap bad contracts?

I just don't get the people who are so adamant why this is some kind if elaborate ruse when there's little to no advantage to the Cubs to be broadcasting that they're looking for change in the couch.

If teams hear actual valuable guys like Schwarber, Happ, etc are guys we are open to moving I’m guessing they’re going to call sooner than they normally would if it wasn’t out there and the assumption was we had no interest to move them (one of those are the two likely guys gone if Bryce comes and maybe they want to move one now before Bryce instead of after they have him because they feel they have more leverage or can get a better off now vs after he signs???).

Also can start the work on moving the bad contracts sooner maybe? Team calls about Happ/Schwarber now and “oh while you’re here any interest in Kintzler, you can have him for just a PTBNL and we’ll throw in a prospect.” You are right that teams won’t be jumping to call about Chatwood/Duensing/Kintzler but throw out Happ and Schwarber being available and it probably gets guys calling and then try and push Duensing, Chatwood and Kintzler on teams then or at least gauge the market on what you think you can do with those idiots in a month or 2 as the offseason goes on.
Last edited by Cubswin11 on Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6385
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:40 am
Location: In a Glass Case of Emotion
x 21
x 203

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:53 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Why are teams going to be inclined to get a trade done sooner if the Cubs are strapped for cash? Like, who is that going to rush along outside of teams trying to swap bad contracts?

I just don't get the people who are so adamant why this is some kind if elaborate ruse when there's little to no advantage to the Cubs to be broadcasting that they're looking for change in the couch.

If teams hear actual valuable guys like Schwarber, Happ, etc are guys we are open to moving

I still fail to see how this team gets better by trading Schwarber, unless it is a precursor or result of signing Harper.
0 x
Retired User Name: Jody, Jody Davis (2005-2012)

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 77125
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 9482
x 12618

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:53 am

Cubswin11 wrote:If teams hear actual valuable guys like Schwarber, Happ, etc are guys we are open to moving I’m guessing they’re going to call sooner than they normally would if it wasn’t out there and the assumption was we had no interest to move them (one of those are the two likely guys gone if Bryce comes and maybe they want to move one now before Bryce instead of after they have him???)


I guess I just don't see much of a difference if the Cubs drop word that guys are available whether or not they're pursuing FA. Things like the Cubs' OF being...iffy and them likely wanting to move on from Russell and needed pitching aren't exactly secrets. The value Schwarber and Happ have is largely unchanged, IMO, regardless of who they bring in.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist
Posts: 32475
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:57 am
x 2176
x 5593
Contact:

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:59 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
davell wrote:I'd be thrilled to get Cozart for Chatwood.

Yeah I really like that move if the money is a net zero. I’d even include a fairly decent prospect on our side with + like Vic/Maples to get it done.


what motivation would the angels have to trade cozart for chatwood? what's the upside for them
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 77125
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 9482
x 12618

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:04 am

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
davell wrote:I'd be thrilled to get Cozart for Chatwood.

Yeah I really like that move if the money is a net zero. I’d even include a fairly decent prospect on our side with + like Vic/Maples to get it done.


what motivation would the angels have to trade cozart for chatwood? what's the upside for them


Image
2 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 33764
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man
x 1666
x 1581

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:05 am

It's All A Smokescreen is the new making fun of the Brewers.

Whatever, if it lets the offseason seem fun for a few more weeks, I'm in.
0 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22522
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 5622
x 4307

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:06 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:If teams hear actual valuable guys like Schwarber, Happ, etc are guys we are open to moving I’m guessing they’re going to call sooner than they normally would if it wasn’t out there and the assumption was we had no interest to move them (one of those are the two likely guys gone if Bryce comes and maybe they want to move one now before Bryce instead of after they have him???)


I guess I just don't see much of a difference if the Cubs drop word that guys are available whether or not they're pursuing FA. Things like the Cubs' OF being...iffy and them likely wanting to move on from Russell and needed pitching aren't exactly secrets. The value Schwarber and Happ have is largely unchanged, IMO, regardless of who they bring in.

I don’t disagree, maybe they just want to jump the market on trades and get these guys moved now vs in a month+. You’re right on their value not changing much but maybe they feel they can get more now vs after FA starts moving (for whatever reasons). If they feel good about getting Bryce maybe moving Happ/Schwarber now they think they have more leverage vs when they have Bryce they think teams could hold back value knowing we are more motivated to move one with Bryce than without him.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

davell
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21362
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:55 pm
x 1789
x 2280

Re: The Bryce is Right, Bitch

Postby davell » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:07 am



This quote sure doesn't scream like we're going nuts this offseason.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.


Return to “Transactions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SchwarbersDong, TarzanJoeWallis, The_Achiever and 10 guests