Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby Post Count Padder » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:53 pm

Time to switch from the Offseason.

The Braves just signed Ryan Howard. Phillies Twitter is less than pleased.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower

Little Slide Rooter
Formerly West Side Rooter

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby Little Slide Rooter » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:56 pm

Post Count Padder wrote:Time to switch from the Offseason.

Did they forget that Ryan Howard's been awful to the tune of -4.5 WAR since 2012?

Seriously, I could see an AL fringe contender taking a flier for the possibility of an August call up, but, The Braves? Just..why?
0 x
We won the World Series.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:06 pm

Little Slide Rooter wrote:

Did they forget that Ryan Howard's been awful to the tune of -4.5 WAR since 2012?

Seriously, I could see an AL fringe contender taking a flier for the possibility of an August call up, but, The Braves? Just..why?

they signed him to a minor league deal.

they suck and have no chance of going anywhere but probably foresee the need to occasionally throw a body out there. If he hits one HR against the Phillies this year they will chalk it up to a great marketing ploy.

who cares?
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Agony and Ivy
All-Star

Postby Agony and Ivy » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:20 pm

Little Slide Rooter wrote:

Call me crazy but Philly fan doesn't strike me as well versed on advanced statistics.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:41 pm

oh no, I have Freedie Freeman on my HR derby team at work. does this mean he will go straight to the bench?
0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:10 pm

More fuzzy memory: your first day of kindergarten or the days when Ryan Howard was good at baseball?
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:16 pm

It is amusing to look at Howard's career stats and see that the year he signed that big extension coincides with the year his career fell off a cliff. His numbers had been slipping but pre-contract: .275/.368/.560/.928 and post-contract: .226/.292/.427/.719. He was also worth a -4.5 bWAR over the life of that contract.

It really is amazing Amaro lasted as long as he did as GM.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:14 pm

How fast does Houston try to pry away Quintana? Do they wait until the ASB?
0 x

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:20 pm

CubinNY wrote:How fast does Houston try to pry away Quintana? Do they wait until the ASB?

Unless the White Sox come down drastically on their rumored asking price (Francis Marte,Kyle Tucker and one of Musgrove/Paulino/Fischer/F.Perez/Whitley) then it's never going to happen. I think they're better off just promoting Marte at some point.
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:50 pm

Tryptamine wrote:
CubinNY wrote:How fast does Houston try to pry away Quintana? Do they wait until the ASB?

Unless the White Sox come down drastically on their rumored asking price (Francis Marte,Kyle Tucker and one of Musgrove/Paulino/Fischer/F.Perez/Whitley) then it's never going to happen. I think they're better off just promoting Marte at some point.

If I were them I'd give up any combination of those pitchers they want because horsefeathers pitching prospects, they'll probably all die. Just get the known quantity now, especially since the Astros could be a WS team with another TOR starter.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Gilby
All-Star

Postby Gilby » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:40 pm

So the Blue Jays keep losing and Donaldson keeps hurting his calf. Their 3B depth chart is currently 1) Darwin Barney 2)Chris Coghlan, and their first baseman (Justin Smoak) also sucks. I wonder if they have interest in Candelario and what type of value he has. They're last in the MLB in runs and have a 2-10 record. There's got to be at least some desperation there.
0 x

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:28 am

Gilby wrote:So the Blue Jays keep losing and Donaldson keeps hurting his calf. Their 3B depth chart is currently 1) Darwin Barney 2)Chris Coghlan, and their first baseman (Justin Smoak) also sucks. I wonder if they have interest in Candelario and what type of value he has. They're last in the MLB in runs and have a 2-10 record. There's got to be at least some desperation there.

God I'd really love if Candelario could bring back Sean Reid-Foley. He should be not too far off come 2018, maybe ready to join the team after super 2 in mid July.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:55 am

Tryptamine wrote:
Gilby wrote:So the Blue Jays keep losing and Donaldson keeps hurting his calf. Their 3B depth chart is currently 1) Darwin Barney 2)Chris Coghlan, and their first baseman (Justin Smoak) also sucks. I wonder if they have interest in Candelario and what type of value he has. They're last in the MLB in runs and have a 2-10 record. There's got to be at least some desperation there.

God I'd really love if Candelario could bring back Sean Reid-Foley. He should be not too far off come 2018, maybe ready to join the team after super 2 in mid July.

First name that popped into my head that wasn't Stroman. Stroman would be suuuuuuch a beeast on this team. As far as pitching prospects go Reid-Foley is quality.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:03 am

Bobby portis is a hero
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:38 am

David wrote:Bobby portis is a hero

But can he pitch?
1 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:44 am

damn it
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:41 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:
Tryptamine wrote:

First name that popped into my head that wasn't Stroman. Stroman would be suuuuuuch a beeast on this team. As far as pitching prospects go Reid-Foley is quality.

Could we get Stroman without using 1 of Happ or Eloy? Would something like Jeimer, Cease, Zastryzny and like LaStella/Szczur (if they want a immediate ML guy) or else someone in the Zagunis/Underwood range if they want minor leaguers be enough?
0 x
Screw Pitchers

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:36 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:
Tryptamine wrote:

Could we get Stroman without using 1 of Happ or Eloy? Would something like Jeimer, Cease, Zastryzny and like LaStella/Szczur (if they want a immediate ML guy) or else someone in the Zagunis/Underwood range if they want minor leaguers be enough?

Why would they trade him without getting an upper level elite guy? Theres other teams in need. The cost of young pitching is expensive. It'd take more than just Happ or Eloy. Hell, it might take both of them.

Which is why we will buy pitching or trade for more projects.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:39 pm

i would wager that if you inquire on Stroman, Schwarber is the first name they utter
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:48 pm

davell wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:

Why would they trade him without getting an upper level elite guy? Theres other teams in need. The cost of young pitching is expensive. It'd take more than just Happ or Eloy. Hell, it might take both of them.

Can we be sure Jeimer isn't that/becoming that? And certain teams out there may view him as a big time 3B prospect? By the time of the deadline, if Cease stays healthy, he could be one of the best pitching prospects in baseball (or at least have one of the highest ceilings). I'd be inclined to include Javy with that package I mentioned, or a variation of it with those names, if that's what it took as well.

I agree on just generally buying or finding projects for pitching.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:08 pm

am i crazy or wasn't theo reportedly interested in james paxton last year?

wish we could've gotten him
0 x

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:14 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
davell wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:Could we get Stroman without using 1 of Happ or Eloy? Would something like Jeimer, Cease, Zastryzny and like LaStella/Szczur (if they want a immediate ML guy) or else someone in the Zagunis/Underwood range if they want minor leaguers be enough?

Can we be sure Jeimer isn't that/becoming that? And certain teams out there may view him as a big time 3B prospect? By the time of the deadline, if Cease stays healthy, he could be one of the best pitching prospects in baseball (or at least have one of the highest ceilings). I'd be inclined to include Javy with that package I mentioned, or a variation of it with those names, if that's what it took as well.

I agree on just generally buying or finding projects for pitching.

I know you're not a Javy fan. He's way too important defensively for us to trade. He's a major part of WHY our pitching outperforms their peripherals. He's a major reason searching for projects works for us.

Cease? I love him. But, he's much more likely to wind up a closer than an ace. Too many question marks for him to be THAT type of a lead piece this season, at any rate.

Candelario? Nah, he's playing in the PCL. He's going to be valued as a future average regular, with a bit of potential for more. I guess if he OPS's 1.100 or something for half a year, that'd change.

Realistically, teams can beat offers involving Cease and Candelario, even if they are tearing it up this year. I do think Candelario gets moved, but probably for a pen arm. Maybe for a post hype starter.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:22 pm

Setting aside actual likelihood of trade and asking prices, who would you give up more to get, Quintana or Stroman?

Both have 4 years of team control. Peripherally they're very similar with the exception of Stroman getting more ground balls. Stroman has better stuff and is younger but he's been less healthy, even if the injury wasn't in the arm. Quintana has better results but will be declining by his last team controlled year. Tough call.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:28 pm

stroman only because i love him
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:44 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Setting aside actual likelihood of trade and asking prices, who would you give up more to get, Quintana or Stroman?

Both have 4 years of team control. Peripherally they're very similar with the exception of Stroman getting more ground balls. Stroman has better stuff and is younger but he's been less healthy, even if the injury wasn't in the arm. Quintana has better results but will be declining by his last team controlled year. Tough call.

Probably Stroman
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Return to “Transactions”