Random In-season Musings and Rumors

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Wed May 10, 2017 2:50 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
CubinNY wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
He's not going to be worth the inflated price tag.

And whether he comes with our without the fake dick.

he can without it, it just takes longer

i mean we might as well just close this message board down
5 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Wed May 10, 2017 7:46 pm

The Royals have DFA'd former top prospect Pete O'Brien and former first round pick (4th overall) Christian Colon.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:20 pm

Thoughts on what it would cost to acquire Maybin if the Angels fall out and shop him?
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:24 pm

Moved this to Transactions since it fits better. It would've been fine as a separate thread too.

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:Thoughts on what it would cost to acquire Maybin if the Angels fall out and shop him?

I've liked Maybin for a long time, but I have a hard time seeing the need for a position player unless they trade significant assets from the MLB roster(probably at least 2 players) in order to get a SP.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:01 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Moved this to Transactions since it fits better. It would've been fine as a separate thread too.

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:Thoughts on what it would cost to acquire Maybin if the Angels fall out and shop him?

I've liked Maybin for a long time, but I have a hard time seeing the need for a position player unless they trade significant assets from the MLB roster(probably at least 2 players) in order to get a SP.

Well this is my crazy scenario and it would squeeze Al out some but also provide insurance for if Kyle doesn't come back a changed man, so to speak. I am excited about what Al has done so far but more time in Iowa wouldn't hurt and Maybin is again getting on base at a super sweet clip. He would be able to play all over the OF.

I know it's crazy but I would try to see about getting Fedde+ for Wade and Hector. The Nats need relievers bad or they will waste a prime season from their lineup and rotation. I would slot CJ in the closer spot and have Koji/Pedro/Dunce get the lion's share of the bridge work. I know that we can offer Wade a QO after the season but if we could hypothetically land a future rotation cornerstone for his services I think it's a worthwhile move. It would absolutely blow any deal we could have made for Soler, out of the water, IMO. Nats are gonna be bent over a barrel by somebody. Let it be us.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:17 pm

We're not trading Davis. Hell, if you look at our pen after the season is over, we may need to resign him. At any rate, I can't see us sending off ANY solid major league contributor for prospects during the season.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:32 pm

Points for originality, but zero chance I'm trading a reliever that's producing well. 'Good enough' in the bullpen turns into a disaster in the blink of an eye. All it takes is CJ coming down with an arm injury and you're trying to win a title with Strop and Uehara as the back end of the pen, and that's a scary proposition.

If I'm doing something outside the box, I'm trying to trade for a failed starter that is a good candidate to boost the pen and hopefully help in future years. Like davell mentions, at the moment, next year's pen stalwarts are Edwards, Strop, and that's pretty much it. I had a hard time finding an awesome candidate for this when I looked a week or two ago, but the nature of acquisitions like Strop or Montgomery is that the problem is as much mechanical as it is hidden peripheral success that a new org can bring forward.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:36 pm

davell wrote:We're not trading Davis. Hell, if you look at our pen after the season is over, we may need to resign him. At any rate, I can't see us sending off ANY solid major league contributor for prospects during the season.

Ok then. I still feel we could use another consistent bat.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:48 pm

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:
davell wrote:We're not trading Davis. Hell, if you look at our pen after the season is over, we may need to resign him. At any rate, I can't see us sending off ANY solid major league contributor for prospects during the season.

Ok then. I still feel we could use another consistent bat.

I'm OK with adding a bat. I doubt we do, but its possible. I don't see us trading off Davis though, under any circumstance.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:02 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Points for originality, but zero chance I'm trading a reliever that's producing well. 'Good enough' in the bullpen turns into a disaster in the blink of an eye. All it takes is CJ coming down with an arm injury and you're trying to win a title with Strop and Uehara as the back end of the pen, and that's a scary proposition.

If I'm doing something outside the box, I'm trying to trade for a failed starter that is a good candidate to boost the pen and hopefully help in future years. Like davell mentions, at the moment, next year's pen stalwarts are Edwards, Strop, and that's pretty much it. I had a hard time finding an awesome candidate for this when I looked a week or two ago, but the nature of acquisitions like Strop or Montgomery is that the problem is as much mechanical as it is hidden peripheral success that a new org can bring forward.

True, I know that they loved Monty's curve and change. I'd love to get a look at their list of pitchers of that kind. We know they are all-aboard the curveball right now and I could see them targeting a fungible pitcher with a nasty one.
1 x

Duke Silver
5-Time All-Star

Postby Duke Silver » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:05 pm

We don't need another bat.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:12 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Points for originality, but zero chance I'm trading a reliever that's producing well. 'Good enough' in the bullpen turns into a disaster in the blink of an eye. All it takes is CJ coming down with an arm injury and you're trying to win a title with Strop and Uehara as the back end of the pen, and that's a scary proposition.

If I'm doing something outside the box, I'm trying to trade for a failed starter that is a good candidate to boost the pen and hopefully help in future years. Like davell mentions, at the moment, next year's pen stalwarts are Edwards, Strop, and that's pretty much it. I had a hard time finding too an awesome candidate for this when I looked a week or two ago, but the nature of acquisitions like Strop or Montgomery is that the problem is as much mechanical as it is hidden peripheral success that a new org can bring forward.

Iglesias then it gets way less straight forward on who that guy could be. I've always liked Brandon Maurer's arm when he's pitching. The Reds are pretty rich with these guys depending on how you view Stephenson and Reed along with Iglesias and Lorenzon. Jharel Cotton has the arm to be an impactful pitcher and has always been a little HR prone as a SP. Mike Minor is putting up good numbers as a reliever with the Royals, but I almost fell asleep writing that sentence.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:17 pm

Duke Silver wrote:We don't need another bat.

Obviously let things play out, see if the recent surge from Russell can continue, or if Zo or Kyle come back stronger than ever, but as it stands, this team has 2 above average hitters and a rookie enjoying a lot of early success. The young guys have been so up and down. I'd love to have another 120+ wRC+ bat in the lineup.

For the sake of curiosity, what would you guys expect Maybin to cost?
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:32 pm

Obviously let things play out, see if the recent surge from Russell can continue, or if Zo or Kyle come back stronger than ever, but as it stands, this team has 2 above average hitters and a rookie enjoying a lot of early success. The young guys have been so up and down. I'd love to have another 120+ wRC+ bat in the lineup.

For the sake of curiosity, what would you guys expect Maybin to cost?

He's a rental, so I'd guess you could get him with Zagunis, Caratini, or Candelario as a lead piece. That may be all it'd take actually. If not, add in a pitching prospect like Hudson, Moreno, or Assad.....Obviously a total guess, but a top 200 prospect and a guy in the 15-25 range of a system is my gut feeling.

That said, I don't truly see a need for him. If we get our group healthy and Schwarber comes back, we're going to have a rough enough time finding AB's for what we have.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:32 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:

If I'm doing something outside the box, I'm trying to trade for a failed starter that is a good candidate to boost the pen and hopefully help in future years. Like davell mentions, at the moment, next year's pen stalwarts are Edwards, Strop, and that's pretty much it. I had a hard time finding too an awesome candidate for this when I looked a week or two ago, but the nature of acquisitions like Strop or Montgomery is that the problem is as much mechanical as it is hidden peripheral success that a new org can bring forward.

Iglesias then it gets way less straight forward on who that guy could be. I've always liked Brandon Maurer's arm when he's pitching. The Reds are pretty rich with these guys depending on how you view Stephenson and Reed along with Iglesias and Lorenzon. Jharel Cotton has the arm to be an impactful pitcher and has always been a little HR prone as a SP. Mike Minor is putting up good numbers as a reliever with the Royals, but I almost fell asleep writing that sentence.

Most of those guys are already in the pen on their respective teams, heck Maurer has been the Padres closer since some time last year. Unless you're talking about one that has been actively bad(only Stephenson from that list), then you might as well try to trade for a good reliever regardless of their origin(which is fine, but not the point I was making). What I was getting at is finding the next guy like pre-2017 Minor, or even pre-Padres Mauer.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:36 pm

I like Maybin, I campaigned for him as a buy-low candidate back when he was a Padre and then a Brave, but ZiPS only has him as a 105 wRC+ bat the rest of the year. Maybe that's pessimistic, but if you're making an acquisition in the name of offensive certainty, I don't think he's your guy. Backfilling because we sent Happ and Almora in a deal for Archer or something like that? Sure. But the Cubs currently have plenty of guys who are good bets to give you what Maybin is gonna provide with the bat.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:40 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:

Most of those guys are already in the pen on their respective teams, heck Maurer has been the Padres closer since some time last year. Unless you're talking about one that has been actively bad(only Stephenson from that list), then you might as well try to trade for a good reliever regardless of their origin(which is fine, but not the point I was making). What I was getting at is finding the next guy like pre-2017 Minor, or even pre-Padres Mauer.

Oh, then Luis Perdomo...Maybe Mejia on the Twins? I'm going to stop guessing on this now.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:19 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:Oh, then Luis Perdomo...Maybe Mejia on the Twins? I'm going to stop guessing on this now.

Perdomo is a decent option if the Padres are done with him as a starter. The deluxe option would be seeing if the Rangers want to give up on Martin Perez and turn him into another Wood/Montgomery.

Maybe Tom Koehler?
0 x

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:11 am

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Perdomo is a decent option if the Padres are done with him as a starter. The deluxe option would be seeing if the Rangers want to give up on Martin Perez and turn him into another Wood/Montgomery.

Maybe Tom Koehler?

I think I get it, yeah either of those guys could work. Koehler's pretty boring, but Perez in a reduced role could be pretty dynamic as a hard throwing LH who usually piles up GBs. Right now without looking I can't think of anyone in the same vein as these guys.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:31 am

Rosscup dealt to Rockies, for Matt Carasiti, a RHP that's not on the 40 man. Having a solid year in AAA, was out righted after a horrible major league call up in 2016.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:35 am

davell wrote:https://twitter.com/Rockies/status/879508715287851008

Rosscup dealt to Rockies, for Matt Carasiti, a RHP that's not on the 40 man. Having a solid year in AAA, was out righted after a horrible major league call up in 2016.

Pretty nice numbers all over this year. Grounders, HR suppression, KBB all on point.

Hoping Zac gets an extended look at COL.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:09 am

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:Hoping Zac gets an extended look at COL.

you're so nice. I didn't care about him with the Cubs, so he can horsefeathers off with the Rockies
3 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:03 am

Montero is a real issue. I don't think he should be behind the dish much anymore. I doubt they'd dump him this year and I value his glove/framing and mentorship of Contreras but he's borderline unplayable at the Catcher position.
0 x

champaignchris
Starter

Postby champaignchris » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:22 am

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:Montero is a real issue. I don't think he should be behind the dish much anymore. I doubt they'd dump him this year and I value his glove/framing and mentorship of Contreras but he's borderline unplayable at the Catcher position.

He's a FA after this year. The Cubs will let him walk.

If Caratini isn't traded, he'll probably get a look this September and could be the backup next year. Or they'll sign a reasonably priced defense-first back up catcher free agent.

Don't really think that's a position of concern.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:29 pm

champaignchris wrote:
We Got The Whole 9 wrote:Montero is a real issue. I don't think he should be behind the dish much anymore. I doubt they'd dump him this year and I value his glove/framing and mentorship of Contreras but he's borderline unplayable at the Catcher position.

He's a FA after this year. The Cubs will let him walk.

If Caratini isn't traded, he'll probably get a look this September and could be the backup next year. Or they'll sign a reasonably priced defense-first back up catcher free agent.

Don't really think that's a position of concern.

I had forgotten where I posted that

But anyway I was basically wondering if they should DFA him. But I didn't really expect them to do it.
0 x

Return to “Transactions”