Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Banedon
Curse You!

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby Banedon » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:14 pm

David wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
David wrote:
yeah, i'd have to think even if the non contenders are out, either one of the AL wild card contenders would take him or the brewers/cards just to keep him from us.

I expect Some to not know how waivers work but not you David, not you. For shame

i don't know horsefeathers about any of the leagues transactional intricacies. thank god mlb barely has anything resembling a salary cap at least.

i thought that if multiple teams put a claim on the same player, the team with the lowest winning percentage wins (without getting into tiebreakers and such)

True, but NL before AL.

If more than one team claims the player from waivers, the team with the weakest record in the player's league gets preference. If no team in the player's league claims him, the claiming team with the weakest record in the other league gets preference.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:17 pm

Banedon wrote:
David wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:I expect Some to not know how waivers work but not you David, not you. For shame

i don't know horsefeathers about any of the leagues transactional intricacies. thank god mlb barely has anything resembling a salary cap at least.

i thought that if multiple teams put a claim on the same player, the team with the lowest winning percentage wins (without getting into tiebreakers and such)

True, but NL before AL.

If more than one team claims the player from waivers, the team with the weakest record in the player's league gets preference. If no team in the player's league claims him, the claiming team with the weakest record in the other league gets preference.

oh...that's dumb. i just figured the same league thing was for tie breaking (which is still dumb)
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:19 pm

David wrote:
Banedon wrote:
David wrote:

True, but NL before AL.

oh...that's dumb. i just figured the same league thing was for tie breaking (which is still dumb)

It's just a legacy from when the leagues were more separate. But yeah it should be eliminated now.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:20 pm

It is dumb, just figured the bottom to top in the players teams league who cut him first was relative common knowledge
Last edited by Cubswin11 on Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Enn Tea
All-Star

Postby Enn Tea » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:20 pm

Little Slide Rooter wrote:http://www.bleachernation.com/2017/08/30/a-mystery-team-has-reportedly-emerged-on-justin-verlander-as-waiver-trade-deadline-looms/

With the odd timing of the Leake trade, it kind of makes you wonder if the two are connected- perhaps a salary dump to make room and/or acquire a prospect to deal.

The Cards are 5 games back and have 8 more against us and 4, including today, against the Brewers, and split the rest of their games against the Giants, Padres, Reds, and Pirates.

If thats not what their plan is, it should be.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:26 pm

Banedon wrote:
David wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:I expect Some to not know how waivers work but not you David, not you. For shame

True, but NL before AL.

Would be funny if our decent but not great season (with respect to expectations) allowed us to snag this randomly good reliever that was put on irrevocable waivers.

But if you look at the standings currently the only teams I could see claiming him over the Cubs are the Brewers and Cardinals. I guess it's possible the Brewers pass on him because they are cheap and the Cardinals pass on him because they really did put up a white flag trading Leake, but more than likely one of those 2 teams will take them, even if only to keep him from the Cubs.

Also the Marlins I guess could claim him but they are owned by cheap ass Loria and in the middle of an ownership change so not sure if they add that much salary.
0 x
Win it for Fred

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:08 pm

Enn Tea wrote:
Little Slide Rooter wrote:http://www.bleachernation.com/2017/08/30/a-mystery-team-has-reportedly-emerged-on-justin-verlander-as-waiver-trade-deadline-looms/

With the odd timing of the Leake trade, it kind of makes you wonder if the two are connected- perhaps a salary dump to make room and/or acquire a prospect to deal.

The Cards are 5 games back and have 8 more against us and 4, including today, against the Brewers, and split the rest of their games against the Giants, Padres, Reds, and Pirates.

If thats not what their plan is, it should be.

if that is what their plan is, it should be too
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:22 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:It is dumb, just figured the bottom to top in the players team who cut him first was relative common knowledge

Somehow I knew how that worked, but had no idea how the DH spot worked in a lineup.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:23 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
Banedon wrote:
David wrote:

True, but NL before AL.

Would be funny if our decent but not great season (with respect to expectations) allowed us to snag this randomly good reliever that was put on irrevocable waivers.

But if you look at the standings currently the only teams I could see claiming him over the Cubs are the Brewers and Cardinals. I guess it's possible the Brewers pass on him because they are cheap and the Cardinals pass on him because they really did put up a white flag trading Leake, but more than likely one of those 2 teams will take them, even if only to keep him from the Cubs.

Also the Marlins I guess could claim him but they are owned by cheap ass Loria and in the middle of an ownership change so not sure if they add that much salary.

An enterprising non-contender with wiggle room could claim him and flip him for a couple bucks. Problem is they'd have to do it all in a 24 hour period.
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:19 am

The Score reports an unknown team tried to claim Cozart and the Reds pulled him back

Gotta be us or the Cards. Although I don't know what his compensation would look like if they let him walk. I just can't see why they wouldn't trade him.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:24 am

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:The Score reports an unknown team tried to claim Cozart and the Reds pulled him back

Gotta be us or the Cards. Although I don't know what his compensation would look like if they let him walk. I just can't see why they wouldn't trade him.

Would love to get him as Russell insurance.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:33 am

That would be horsefeathering great. And he'd also up his FA stock by getting WS experience.
0 x

Bear Cub
Starter

Postby Bear Cub » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:06 am

The Verlander rumors are still flying per Pat Boyle on CSN.
0 x
Bring Sammy back into the Cubs family!

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:14 pm

is there a time for the deadline or is it midnight EST?
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:15 pm

Justin Upton to the Angels
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:56 pm

Nicasio lasted all of 1 team, the Phillies claimed him. I'm not sure if he's technically eligible to be traded by them today, I think so and I have to think that would be the primary motivation on Philly's part.
0 x

Guancous
All-Star

Postby Guancous » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:42 pm

Looks like the Cubs or Brewers made a run at Nicasio. Details in letter:
0 x
Jose Quintana will be on the next Cubs team that wins a World Series.

sweetpeteman
5-Time All-Star

Postby sweetpeteman » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:12 am

That's.... a really stupid thought process. You're so worried about helping a competitor that instead of taking a lottery ticket prospect, you'd just give up the player.

Also, this seems to indicate that the Pirates have no clue how waivers work. If the Phillies hadn't taken him, there's a good shot he ends up with one of your competitors anyways, and almost no shot he ends up in the AL.
0 x

KrisBryantisaBeast
All-Star

Postby KrisBryantisaBeast » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:39 am

Guancous wrote:Looks like the Cubs or Brewers made a run at Nicasio. Details in letter:

So instead of letting him go to a playoff contender for a lottery pick hes now stuck on the Phillies. That's kind of a dick move.
0 x

Liam Neeson
Starter

Postby Liam Neeson » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:43 pm

0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:37 pm

What is happening

0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:42 pm

Banedon wrote:What is happening

The Cards traded for Nicasio, but they aren't the team that claimed and blocked him from being traded in early August.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:54 pm

Gotcha...too many Nicasio stories for my pea brain I guess.
0 x

itisallpartoftheplan
All-Star

Postby itisallpartoftheplan » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:31 pm

0 x
-The Plan worked!!

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:21 pm

Farrell, is John Farrell's son and his brother works for the Cubs as a scout