Random In-season Musings and Rumors

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 63773
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 2902
x 3093

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby Banedon » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:14 pm

David wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
David wrote:
yeah, i'd have to think even if the non contenders are out, either one of the AL wild card contenders would take him or the brewers/cards just to keep him from us.

I expect Some to not know how waivers work but not you David, not you. For shame


i don't know horsefeathers about any of the leagues transactional intricacies. thank god mlb barely has anything resembling a salary cap at least.

i thought that if multiple teams put a claim on the same player, the team with the lowest winning percentage wins (without getting into tiebreakers and such)


True, but NL before AL.

If more than one team claims the player from waivers, the team with the weakest record in the player's league gets preference. If no team in the player's league claims him, the claiming team with the weakest record in the other league gets preference.
0 x
Image

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 58382
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 5651
x 3418

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby David » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:17 pm

Banedon wrote:
David wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:I expect Some to not know how waivers work but not you David, not you. For shame


i don't know horsefeathers about any of the leagues transactional intricacies. thank god mlb barely has anything resembling a salary cap at least.

i thought that if multiple teams put a claim on the same player, the team with the lowest winning percentage wins (without getting into tiebreakers and such)


True, but NL before AL.

If more than one team claims the player from waivers, the team with the weakest record in the player's league gets preference. If no team in the player's league claims him, the claiming team with the weakest record in the other league gets preference.


oh...that's dumb. i just figured the same league thing was for tie breaking (which is still dumb)
0 x
Image

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 43693
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Naperville, IL
x 61
x 1534
Contact:

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby Tim » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:19 pm

David wrote:
Banedon wrote:
David wrote:
i don't know horsefeathers about any of the leagues transactional intricacies. thank god mlb barely has anything resembling a salary cap at least.

i thought that if multiple teams put a claim on the same player, the team with the lowest winning percentage wins (without getting into tiebreakers and such)


True, but NL before AL.

If more than one team claims the player from waivers, the team with the weakest record in the player's league gets preference. If no team in the player's league claims him, the claiming team with the weakest record in the other league gets preference.


oh...that's dumb. i just figured the same league thing was for tie breaking (which is still dumb)

It's just a legacy from when the leagues were more separate. But yeah it should be eliminated now.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Image

User avatar
Cubswin11
Superstar
Posts: 16916
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 1930
x 1993

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:20 pm

It is dumb, just figured the bottom to top in the players teams league who cut him first was relative common knowledge
Last edited by Cubswin11 on Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
Enn Tea
All-Star
Posts: 3384
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 9:03 pm
Location: South Florida
x 31
x 147

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby Enn Tea » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:20 pm

Little Slide Rooter wrote:http://www.bleachernation.com/2017/08/30/a-mystery-team-has-reportedly-emerged-on-justin-verlander-as-waiver-trade-deadline-looms/

With the odd timing of the Leake trade, it kind of makes you wonder if the two are connected- perhaps a salary dump to make room and/or acquire a prospect to deal.

The Cards are 5 games back and have 8 more against us and 4, including today, against the Brewers, and split the rest of their games against the Giants, Padres, Reds, and Pirates.


If thats not what their plan is, it should be.
0 x

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 73031
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 1955
x 2712
Contact:

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:26 pm

Banedon wrote:
David wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:I expect Some to not know how waivers work but not you David, not you. For shame


i don't know horsefeathers about any of the leagues transactional intricacies. thank god mlb barely has anything resembling a salary cap at least.

i thought that if multiple teams put a claim on the same player, the team with the lowest winning percentage wins (without getting into tiebreakers and such)


True, but NL before AL.

If more than one team claims the player from waivers, the team with the weakest record in the player's league gets preference. If no team in the player's league claims him, the claiming team with the weakest record in the other league gets preference.


Would be funny if our decent but not great season (with respect to expectations) allowed us to snag this randomly good reliever that was put on irrevocable waivers.

But if you look at the standings currently the only teams I could see claiming him over the Cubs are the Brewers and Cardinals. I guess it's possible the Brewers pass on him because they are cheap and the Cardinals pass on him because they really did put up a white flag trading Leake, but more than likely one of those 2 teams will take them, even if only to keep him from the Cubs.

Also the Marlins I guess could claim him but they are owned by cheap ass Loria and in the middle of an ownership change so not sure if they add that much salary.
0 x
Win it for Fred

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21539
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:36 am
x 471
x 756

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby 17 Seconds » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:08 pm

Enn Tea wrote:
Little Slide Rooter wrote:http://www.bleachernation.com/2017/08/30/a-mystery-team-has-reportedly-emerged-on-justin-verlander-as-waiver-trade-deadline-looms/

With the odd timing of the Leake trade, it kind of makes you wonder if the two are connected- perhaps a salary dump to make room and/or acquire a prospect to deal.

The Cards are 5 games back and have 8 more against us and 4, including today, against the Brewers, and split the rest of their games against the Giants, Padres, Reds, and Pirates.


If thats not what their plan is, it should be.


if that is what their plan is, it should be too
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 70483
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 5869
x 7864

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:22 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:It is dumb, just figured the bottom to top in the players team who cut him first was relative common knowledge


Somehow I knew how that worked, but had no idea how the DH spot worked in a lineup.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
SouthSideRyan
is ELL
Posts: 48881
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:08 am
Location: Chicago Loop
x 322
x 885

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby SouthSideRyan » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:23 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
Banedon wrote:
David wrote:
i don't know horsefeathers about any of the leagues transactional intricacies. thank god mlb barely has anything resembling a salary cap at least.

i thought that if multiple teams put a claim on the same player, the team with the lowest winning percentage wins (without getting into tiebreakers and such)


True, but NL before AL.

If more than one team claims the player from waivers, the team with the weakest record in the player's league gets preference. If no team in the player's league claims him, the claiming team with the weakest record in the other league gets preference.


Would be funny if our decent but not great season (with respect to expectations) allowed us to snag this randomly good reliever that was put on irrevocable waivers.

But if you look at the standings currently the only teams I could see claiming him over the Cubs are the Brewers and Cardinals. I guess it's possible the Brewers pass on him because they are cheap and the Cardinals pass on him because they really did put up a white flag trading Leake, but more than likely one of those 2 teams will take them, even if only to keep him from the Cubs.

Also the Marlins I guess could claim him but they are owned by cheap ass Loria and in the middle of an ownership change so not sure if they add that much salary.


An enterprising non-contender with wiggle room could claim him and flip him for a couple bucks. Problem is they'd have to do it all in a 24 hour period.
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star
Posts: 2337
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:38 am
x 256

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:19 am

The Score reports an unknown team tried to claim Cozart and the Reds pulled him back

Gotta be us or the Cards. Although I don't know what his compensation would look like if they let him walk. I just can't see why they wouldn't trade him.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 88408
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
x 394
x 1647

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:24 am

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:The Score reports an unknown team tried to claim Cozart and the Reds pulled him back

Gotta be us or the Cards. Although I don't know what his compensation would look like if they let him walk. I just can't see why they wouldn't trade him.


Would love to get him as Russell insurance.
0 x
Image

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star
Posts: 2337
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:38 am
x 256

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:33 am

That would be horsefeathering great. And he'd also up his FA stock by getting WS experience.
0 x

User avatar
Bear Cub
Starter
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:22 am
Location: Geneseo, Il
x 567
x 5

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby Bear Cub » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:06 am

The Verlander rumors are still flying per Pat Boyle on CSN.
0 x
Bring Sammy back into the Cubs family!

User avatar
Brian
Hall of Fame
Posts: 23731
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Chicago
x 16
x 1738
Contact:

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby Brian » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:14 pm

is there a time for the deadline or is it midnight EST?
0 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Superstar
Posts: 16916
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 1930
x 1993

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:15 pm

Justin Upton to the Angels
0 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 54238
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 288
x 3954

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:56 pm

Nicasio lasted all of 1 team, the Phillies claimed him. I'm not sure if he's technically eligible to be traded by them today, I think so and I have to think that would be the primary motivation on Philly's part.
0 x

User avatar
Guancous
All-Star
Posts: 2021
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 5:08 am
Location: Silver Spring, MD
x 585
x 195

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby Guancous » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:42 pm

Looks like the Cubs or Brewers made a run at Nicasio. Details in letter:
0 x
Jose Quintana will be on the next Cubs team that wins a World Series.

sweetpeteman
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 7871
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:13 pm
Location: The River
x 3
x 38

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby sweetpeteman » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:12 am

That's.... a really stupid thought process. You're so worried about helping a competitor that instead of taking a lottery ticket prospect, you'd just give up the player.

Also, this seems to indicate that the Pirates have no clue how waivers work. If the Phillies hadn't taken him, there's a good shot he ends up with one of your competitors anyways, and almost no shot he ends up in the AL.
0 x

KrisBryantisaBeast
All-Star
Posts: 1433
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:42 pm
x 96
x 27

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby KrisBryantisaBeast » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:39 am

Guancous wrote:Looks like the Cubs or Brewers made a run at Nicasio. Details in letter:


So instead of letting him go to a playoff contender for a lottery pick hes now stuck on the Phillies. That's kind of a dick move.
0 x

User avatar
Liam Neeson
Starter
Posts: 925
Joined: Sat May 09, 2015 11:21 pm
x 176
x 560

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby Liam Neeson » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:43 pm

0 x
Image

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 63773
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 2902
x 3093

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby Banedon » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:37 pm

What is happening

0 x
Image

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 54238
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 288
x 3954

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:42 pm

Banedon wrote:What is happening



The Cards traded for Nicasio, but they aren't the team that claimed and blocked him from being traded in early August.
0 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 63773
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 2902
x 3093

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby Banedon » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:54 pm

Gotcha...too many Nicasio stories for my pea brain I guess.
0 x
Image

User avatar
itisallpartoftheplan
All-Star
Posts: 2064
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 11:38 pm
x 91
x 435

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby itisallpartoftheplan » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:31 pm

0 x
-The Plan worked!!

User avatar
Cubswin11
Superstar
Posts: 16916
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 1930
x 1993

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:21 pm

Farrell, is John Farrell's son and his brother works for the Cubs as a scout
0 x
Screw Pitchers


Return to “Transactions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cubswin11, Jaxbro, NOLA and 2 guests