Random In-season Musings and Rumors

User avatar
TomtheBombadil
All-Star
Posts: 4558
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 211
x 292

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed May 03, 2017 1:53 pm

What do the Reds need Rasiel Iglesias for?

They have all these talented, healthy pitchers - Iglesias, Reed, Stephenson, Lorenzon, Garrett, Finnegan, and Cingrani - on their ML roster. Iglesias is the only one I'm extremely interested in as he is ready to go, but any of those other guys except maybe Lonrenzon and Cingrani would instantly be the most interesting long term P prospect in the org. I still really like Reed and Stephenson as guys who can be first division pitchers in some capacity.

They're going to be an interesting team to watch at the deadline. Some contender should probably take the Votto dive this year, Iglesias is going to be really valuable if they made him available, Cozart might be the top available SS through trade, and even Feldman always seems to end up moving somewhere else.
0 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Superstar
Posts: 17833
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 2366
x 2356

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed May 03, 2017 7:55 pm

The Rangers are 11-16, Hamels is going to be out until at least the ASB it sounds like. What would it take to rent Darvish for the year?
0 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 32431
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 524
x 3922

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed May 03, 2017 7:59 pm

$2400 and 2 forms of ID
1 x
Image

davell
Hall of Fame
Posts: 20630
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:55 pm
x 1456
x 1868

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby davell » Wed May 03, 2017 8:04 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:The Rangers are 11-16, Hamels is going to be out until at least the ASB it sounds like. What would it take to rent Darvish for the year?


Chapman cost Torres. Even if teams were blowing up pen value, I'd be shocked if Darvish doesn't net a top 10ish type prospect, plus more.

We just won it all, let some other team get desperate for rentals.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5679
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:13 pm
x 4
x 63

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby Tryptamine » Wed May 03, 2017 11:07 pm

I wouldn't mind going with Ervin Santana, depending on the cost. He's been absolutely killing it since the ASB in 2016.
0 x

User avatar
Duke Silver
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 9219
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:45 am
x 8774
x 5791

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby Duke Silver » Thu May 04, 2017 2:57 am



So much for that idea.
0 x

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 32431
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 524
x 3922

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu May 04, 2017 3:27 am

Duke Silver wrote:https://twitter.com/MarlyRiveraESPN/status/859931837375950849

So much for that idea.

it's probably just breast cancer
1 x
Image

User avatar
TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist
Posts: 31054
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:57 am
x 1603
x 3796
Contact:

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Fri May 05, 2017 3:34 am

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:https://twitter.com/MarlyRiveraESPN/status/859931837375950849

So much for that idea.

it's probably just breast cancer


Rickets is not going to pay for all these pre-existing conditions
7 x

squally1313
All-Star
Posts: 2305
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:34 pm
x 579
x 463

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby squally1313 » Fri May 05, 2017 3:59 am

davell wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:The Rangers are 11-16, Hamels is going to be out until at least the ASB it sounds like. What would it take to rent Darvish for the year?


Chapman cost Torres. Even if teams were blowing up pen value, I'd be shocked if Darvish doesn't net a top 10ish type prospect, plus more.

We just won it all, let some other team get desperate for rentals.


Fangraphs article today about the Cubs and Yankees could get into a bidding war for his services. Cameron said as long as we include Happ, he can't see another team beating our offer (if we were interested).

I can see it both ways. No matter how you want to dissect the numbers, Darvish has been really good his entire MLB career (though susceptible to injuries). But, we won a World Series with 4 starters, all of which are still here, and Cleveland came within a game with 3 starters (2 of which were terrible). Assuming Lester, Jake, and Kyle are still pitching within expectations, even if Lackey takes a step back, I don't think it's worth the upgrade.
0 x

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 54593
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 330
x 4437

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri May 05, 2017 4:00 am

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:https://twitter.com/MarlyRiveraESPN/status/859931837375950849

So much for that idea.

it's probably just breast cancer


Careful, Stroman's dad will come for you.

Image
0 x

User avatar
NonProfitCow
All-Star
Posts: 4286
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:15 am
x 67
x 213

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby NonProfitCow » Fri May 05, 2017 4:00 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:What do the Reds need Rasiel Iglesias for?

They have all these talented, healthy pitchers - Iglesias, Reed, Stephenson, Lorenzon, Garrett, Finnegan, and Cingrani - on their ML roster. Iglesias is the only one I'm extremely interested in as he is ready to go, but any of those other guys except maybe Lonrenzon and Cingrani would instantly be the most interesting long term P prospect in the org. I still really like Reed and Stephenson as guys who can be first division pitchers in some capacity.

They're going to be an interesting team to watch at the deadline. Some contender should probably take the Votto dive this year, Iglesias is going to be really valuable if they made him available, Cozart might be the top available SS through trade, and even Feldman always seems to end up moving somewhere else.

Iglesias is under contract through 2020 for cheap. There's no reason for them to unload him now unless someone offered an absurd package for him.
0 x

User avatar
TomtheBombadil
All-Star
Posts: 4558
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 211
x 292

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri May 05, 2017 10:58 pm

NonProfitCow wrote:Iglesias is under contract through 2020 for cheap. There's no reason for them to unload him now unless someone offered an absurd package for him.


I'm not saying the Reds should trade him tonight for nothing, but it seems pointless to have a high quality pitcher, a reliever at that, in his late 20's on a really bad team that isn't even trying to be good.

JMHT: The Mets should be all over him and Votto. He'd be awesome for the Cubs, I like him more than the more hyped Colome, but I'd rather shoot for an outright SP who maybe comes with a RP as the second piece.
0 x

User avatar
TomtheBombadil
All-Star
Posts: 4558
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 211
x 292

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat May 06, 2017 12:09 am

The Cubs' bullpen is 5th in IP after this game, surrounded by terrible teams on both sides of the top 10. Yet another sign from Jah that they should trade for a SP, obviously.
0 x

cubsclapp
Starter
Posts: 283
Joined: Wed May 21, 2003 8:40 pm
x 365
x 172
Contact:

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby cubsclapp » Sat May 06, 2017 4:12 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:
NonProfitCow wrote:Iglesias is under contract through 2020 for cheap. There's no reason for them to unload him now unless someone offered an absurd package for him.


I'm not saying the Reds should trade him tonight for nothing, but it seems pointless to have a high quality pitcher, a reliever at that, in his late 20's on a really bad team that isn't even trying to be good.

JMHT: The Mets should be all over him and Votto. He'd be awesome for the Cubs, I like him more than the more hyped Colome, but I'd rather shoot for an outright SP who maybe comes with a RP as the second piece.


The Reds' asking price for Iglesias to the Cubs would be absurd. They're not going to be in the business of making the Cubs better through 2020. And the Cubs don't want to be in the business of giving their divisional competition any top prospects/hope, especially with the gap currently as big as it is. There are just a lot of reasons that would prevent a deal like that from ever getting done.

If he weren't in the division, yeah, he'd be a really interesting target for sure.
0 x
@TheBlogfines

Post Count Padder
Superstar
Posts: 14585
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:51 pm
Location: In your dreams
x 10
x 73

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby Post Count Padder » Sun May 07, 2017 7:11 pm

So the Mets have suspended Matt Harvey. Thoughts as a buy-low/change of scenery guy?
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 88711
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
x 422
x 1909

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon May 08, 2017 12:32 am

Post Count Padder wrote:So the Mets have suspended Matt Harvey. Thoughts as a buy-low/change of scenery guy?


He's not going to be worth the inflated price tag.
0 x
Image

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21686
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 124
x 317

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby CubinNY » Mon May 08, 2017 5:46 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
Post Count Padder wrote:So the Mets have suspended Matt Harvey. Thoughts as a buy-low/change of scenery guy?


He's not going to be worth the inflated price tag.

And whether he comes with our without the fake dick.
0 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 56944
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 1697
x 5578

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon May 08, 2017 5:49 pm

CubinNY wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
Post Count Padder wrote:So the Mets have suspended Matt Harvey. Thoughts as a buy-low/change of scenery guy?


He's not going to be worth the inflated price tag.

And whether he comes with our without the fake dick.

he can without it, it just takes longer
15 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

davell
Hall of Fame
Posts: 20630
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:55 pm
x 1456
x 1868

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby davell » Mon May 08, 2017 10:00 pm



Chances he opts out of 4/84 after this year? And if you're us, would you prefer he did or didn't?
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 54593
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 330
x 4437

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon May 08, 2017 10:36 pm

Brisbee had an article today that made a pretty compelling case that the Giants aren't going to be trading guys like Cueto or Pence even if they're uncompetitive. It makes extra sense for Cueto because the opt out saps a big chunk of his potential value.

www.sbnation.com/2017/5/8/15578886/sf-g ... ce=twitter
0 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar
Posts: 14585
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:51 pm
Location: In your dreams
x 10
x 73

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby Post Count Padder » Tue May 09, 2017 1:21 am

Braves release Ryan Howard.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star
Posts: 2479
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:38 am
x 276

Re: RE: Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Tue May 09, 2017 2:01 am

Post Count Padder wrote:Braves release Ryan Howard.

I randomly started watching vids of his prime years the other day and he was one of the best I've ever seen at going to the opposite field. He had 1 year where he only pulled 9 HR out of 50. And he was hitting 450 oppo shots with total ease.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
2 x

User avatar
Gilby
All-Star
Posts: 4057
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:13 pm
Location: Des Moines
x 692
x 366

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby Gilby » Wed May 10, 2017 12:00 am

So how naive am I if I believe Hahn when he says he'd deal Quintana to the Cubs if it's the best offer?
0 x

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 43921
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Naperville, IL
x 63
x 1686
Contact:

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby Tim » Wed May 10, 2017 12:48 am

Gilby wrote:So how naive am I if I believe Hahn when he says he'd deal Quintana to the Cubs if it's the best offer?

Not at all. I believe hahn would do it.



I don't believe Reinsdorf would approve it in a million years.
1 x
Spoiler: show

Image

davell
Hall of Fame
Posts: 20630
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:55 pm
x 1456
x 1868

Re: Random In-season Musings and Rumors

Postby davell » Wed May 10, 2017 12:51 am

Gilby wrote:So how naive am I if I believe Hahn when he says he'd deal Quintana to the Cubs if it's the best offer?


I think its lip service, since it came out last year they wouldn't deal with us. Hell, Jed even basically agreed that its going to cost extra to make a deal in a case like this.....

I guess its POSSIBLE now that we won the World Series already and a move like this couldn't be construed as the thing that gave their rivals that elusive first championship.

But, I'd still bet theres a premium attached and we wouldn't do it.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.


Return to “Transactions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests