Starting Pitching candidates

toonsterwu
All-Star

Re: Starting Pitching Options FA 2018

Postby toonsterwu » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:15 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
toonsterwu wrote:
All that said, this is a big win for the Yankees in regards to getting below 197 million. This will give them a lot more flexibility, while also knowing that there's only 3 years remaining.

How is this a big win for a team looking to cut payroll/get below the tax? He’s owed 22, 22 and 23 million the next 3 years.

Well, two-fold. If he had opted out, that would've required them to spend hard to find 2-3 starters. Not the easiest thing to do, so it gives them more flexibility. That said, I think people are under-estimating what Tanaka might've gotten on the FA market (this is, of course, assuming enough health to pass physicals). Assuming he was healthy enough, this was a guy, age-wise, in his prime, with strong peripherals, strong 2nd half, strong post-season, strong recent record, and not declining yet. I said in another thread I thought he was the top FA SP this offseason - ahead of country-mate Darvish. Maybe I'm wrong, but I was of the opinion that, based on recent FA SP contracts and the proliferation of analytically oriented FO's ... that he was probably looking at something like 4/100. (Certainly, that hypothetical contract might've been backloaded so the difference may have been minimal).
0 x

Bertz
bench player

Re: Starting Pitching candidates

Postby Bertz » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:18 pm

I'm really intrigued by Graveman. I saw a few of his starts early in the year and absolutely loved what I saw, but his numbers are unequivocally 'meh.'

I'd like to acquire him with the thought that maybe Hickey and Borzello can help him to miss more bats, knowing that even if they can't he's a pretty good 5th starter as is. Also, given Billy Beane's affinity for safe, low upside guys, I wonder if we can just cash in a couple of Zagunis/Burkes/Bote/Vosler to make a deal happen.
0 x

d_money
All-Star

Postby d_money » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:44 pm

Crazy to think that Kershaw could opt out after next year (age 30). He's making $35M per. If he opts out, how much more could the guy want to make? Obviously a longer deal but still, these numbers are getting crazy, I sound like my grandpa.
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:30 pm

Cueto didn’t opt out of his deal, I wonder if that makes it any more likely Samardzija is or isn’t traded?
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:51 pm

Chacin could make a really interesting 2nd or 3rd SP addition this offseason, he literally has one of the best sliders in MLB

0 x
Screw Pitchers

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:02 pm

Alex Cobb got a QO.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:39 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Alex Cobb got a QO.

That's the only reason I hesitate in believing he'll be a Cub. Otherwise I'd consider it a done deal.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:41 pm

Tim wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Alex Cobb got a QO.

That's the only reason I hesitate in believing he'll be a Cub. Otherwise I'd consider it a done deal.

I look at it the other way that it’s more likely he’s a Cub since his contract will likely be lower with teams not wanting to give up the pick/money. Plus we recoup a decent amount back by letting Arrieta/Davis go.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:53 pm

I know everyone assumes Cobb to the Cubs ... but I'm still not sold it's locked and loaded. He's a Northeast kid, with plenty of teams looking at him. Yankees have often paid for guys with experience in the AL East. Even Boston, his hometown, could be looking for a starter. The Maddon/Hickey connection could win out, but unless I missed something, I'm just not all that sold. I expect they are going to fairly serious competition for him, with plenty of teams likely not caring all that much about the QO.
0 x

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:02 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:Cueto didn’t opt out of his deal, I wonder if that makes it any more likely Samardzija is or isn’t traded?

My hunch is less. They don't seem intent on rebuilding, so trading from their strength (SP) likely wouldn't fix all their other holes. I suspect they'll try to throw money at the problem, and maybe even the rumors of them being one of the only teams willing to eat the entirety of the Giancarlo deal might have some legs to it.

Even if they don't land Stanton, they should be able to land an OF. Tbh, I really think they should retool, but that's my opinion.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:30 pm

I would be thrilled if all the prognosticators are wrong about Cobb to Cubs
2 x

champaignchris
Starter

Postby champaignchris » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:55 am

Cubswin11 wrote:Chacin could make a really interesting 2nd or 3rd SP addition this offseason, he literally has one of the best sliders in MLB

I would like Chacin as the #5 starter quite a bit, assuming someone else of higher caliber got picked up to be the Arrieta replacement. He would be a solid improvement over Lackey.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:59 am

So, here's an interesting development....

A little background, in case some don't know this guy.....He almost became the first player to come over from Japan BEFORE getting drafted over there. He's lost some off his FB, it was 97-98, in his younger years. But, he's still throwing low 90's, and has a solid repertoire. Has had some shoulder issues in the past.

He's not Ohtani, or Fujinami(the next best guy over there), but he's 3rd. And if he's coming over, he's probably in the same range of prospect, as Kenta Maeda was.(my opinion only) Now, that's not insanely special, but its a very legit option to be inserted into our rotation.

https://sports.yahoo.com/japanese-pitch ... ml?src=rss

Edit, for new article. Never mind, he's evidently not going to be posted until after next season.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:42 pm

if we could get cozart or neil walker at a decent price, what pitcher (if any) would you be willing to give up russell for?
0 x

champaignchris
Starter

Postby champaignchris » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:27 pm

17 Seconds wrote:if we could get cozart or neil walker at a decent price, what pitcher (if any) would you be willing to give up russell for?

I think Archer, Stroman and Nola are your complete list. I guess maybe Cole, too.
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:19 pm

17 Seconds wrote:if we could get cozart or neil walker at a decent price, what pitcher (if any) would you be willing to give up russell for?

Probably just Stroman but as I’ve made clear I’d rather go a different route and keep Russell.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:42 pm

davell wrote:https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/927712071499829248

So, here's an interesting development....

A little background, in case some don't know this guy.....He almost became the first player to come over from Japan BEFORE getting drafted over there. He's lost some off his FB, it was 97-98, in his younger years. But, he's still throwing low 90's, and has a solid repertoire. Has had some shoulder issues in the past.

He's not Ohtani, or Fujinami(the next best guy over there), but he's 3rd. And if he's coming over, he's probably in the same range of prospect, as Kenta Maeda was.(my opinion only) Now, that's not insanely special, but its a very legit option to be inserted into our rotation.

https://sports.yahoo.com/japanese-pitch ... ml?src=rss

Edit, for new article. Never mind, he's evidently not going to be posted until after next season.

Sup davell:

Davell Eric, what kind of impact pitchers are Shintaro Fujinami and Yusei Kikuchi? I'm guessing they'll make it over to the US at some stage, just curious what they'd project as, in the majors?
Eric A Longenhagen Fujunami is probably a reliever. Low-90s might play up out of the 'pen. Plus split. Kikuchi is like 92-94, touch a 6, avg changeup and curveball. I like him.
0 x

ScrubMD
5-Time All-Star

Postby ScrubMD » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:47 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:

Probably just Stroman but as I’ve made clear I’d rather go a different route and keep Russell.

I hate the idea of trading Russell or Schwarber who seem very likely to increase their value this season.

Happ and Baez seem about as high as their value is going to get. I’d like to trade one of them (preferably Happ since I’m not as attached to him) for a Gausman/Teheran type.

Keep Russell as part of the core and trade Schwarber after his 40hr/950ops season to make room for Harper.
1 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:56 pm

ScrubMD wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:

I hate the idea of trading Russell or Schwarber who seem very likely to increase their value this season.

Happ and Baez seem about as high as their value is going to get. I’d like to trade one of them (preferably Happ since I’m not as attached to him) for a Gausman/Teheran type.

Keep Russell as part of the core and trade Schwarber after his 40hr/950ops season to make room for Harper.

Can we please have an off season without people thinking of Teheran as an attractive target?
1 x
Spoiler: show

ScrubMD
5-Time All-Star

Postby ScrubMD » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:27 am

Tim wrote:
ScrubMD wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:Probably just Stroman but as I’ve made clear I’d rather go a different route and keep Russell.

Can we please have an off season without people thinking of Teheran as an attractive target?

Maybe when he stops being one?
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:25 am

0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:28 am

davell wrote:https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/928059332641673216

Good for him, I guess. He was passable for a good chunk of the second half. If he wants to pitch and is reasonable in his demands I think someone will sign him (Angels, Padres, Phillies, Braves, Mets, Marlins all seem to make some sense off the top of my head for teams needing some innings eaten).
0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Re: The Starting Pitching Trade Candidates

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:29 am

toonsterwu wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:If the Astros were to deal a SP to the Cubs give me Musgrove.

I'd be fine about Musgrove (although don't love the fact that there's not much velocity differentiation for him), but he's cheap and controllable - they could push him to the pen.

Guess it's entirely possible that, after this post-season, they consider keeping Peacock in the pen ...

Noise, that was the bullpen bump. That said it’s tough to find a match. Who’d say no first to a Schwarber for Musgrove and Cionel Perez swap? Can’t say I’m a fan of selling offense, maybe Almora and/or Happ.
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:37 pm

One of my favorite 2nd starter addition options....

0 x
Screw Pitchers

JennieGarthAlgar
Starter

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:39 pm

ScrubMD wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:

I, for one, think that the value of Happ and Baez can get higher.
0 x

Return to “Transactions”