Starting Pitching candidates

Cubswin11
Superstar

Re: Starting Pitching candidates

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:39 am

toonsterwu wrote:A bit curious who the Giants are clearing salary space for.

My guess is Martinez or like Cain and 1 of Hosmer (move Belt to the OF) or Frazier
0 x
Screw Pitchers

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:45 am

Cubswin11 wrote:

My guess is Martinez or like Cain and Hosmer (move Belt to the OF)

It was Nightengale, but he mentioned Jay Bruce.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:50 am

JD Martinez?

The tweet said it was for a deal that was pending a physical. It would be pretty odd to have a signing the caliber of a JD Martinez get that far without it leaking to the press. The Giants have been in on him and need the power bat desperately. I don't know what other big money signing they'd be in on where they'd need to clear out some salary. With Pence rumored to have been another guy they were seeking to trade, the incoming guy being an OFer makes sense.
0 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:51 am

davell wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:

My guess is Martinez or like Cain and Hosmer (move Belt to the OF)

It was Nightengale, but he mentioned Jay Bruce.

Bruce would make sense. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day...
0 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:01 am

Trading a useful innings eater, at worst, to clear space to sign Jay Bruce is such a laughably bad move (not that I don’t believe they’d do that). They are trying to bandaid this thing so bad. They either really gotta go spend money and commit (like sign Martinez, Cain, Frazier or Walker and Reed) or really should just blow it up (trade Shark, Bumgarner, Belt, Span, Crawford, keep Posey since he’s a franchise icon). Blowing it up would easily be my decision if I was running things.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:24 am

Cubswin11 wrote:Trading a useful innings eater, at worst, to clear space to sign Jay Bruce is such a laughably bad move (not that I don’t believe they’d do that). They are trying to bandaid this thing so bad. They either really gotta go spend money and commit (like sign Martinez, Cain, Frazier or Walker and Reed) or really should just blow it up (trade Shark, Bumgarner, Belt, Span, Crawford, keep Posey since he’s a franchise icon). Blowing it up would easily be my decision if I was running things.

They're in a tough spot. Especially with their relatively recent past. They probably don't want to blow it up, give those guys time to straighten it out or whatever.

Don't get me wrong, it IS stupid, in some ways. But, fans go out there consistently and will again this year. So, at least they're making money. Trade off Posey and/or MadBum and who knows if that's the case?

At any rate, they're up against the LT. Looks like they're around 168 or so, right now, not counting pre arbs or insurance. Or Jay Bruce or whoever they're trying to add. They're trying to stay under the LT too.....They've probably got to move another contract, to be honest. But since the initial thoughts on this Matt Moore deal were it could be him or Hunter Pence, I'd say Pence is next on their dump list.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:35 am

To go further, even if the Giants get Bruce, they still need another OF and at least 1 starting pitcher, plus pen help. Like I said, I'd guess they'd try and move Pence first. But Shark seems like he'd be the next option, if they couldn't find a taker for Pence. Maybe Montgomery, Maples, and one of Tseng, Mills, or Butler actually looks decent to them....If not, I'd guess Monty and Alzolay would.
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:42 am

davell wrote:To go further, even if the Giants get Bruce, they still need another OF and at least 1 starting pitcher, plus pen help. Like I said, I'd guess they'd try and move Pence first. But Shark seems like he'd be the next option, if they couldn't find a taker for Pence. Maybe Montgomery, Maples, and one of Tseng, Mills, or Butler actually looks decent to them....If not, I'd guess Monty and Alzolay would.

Something around just Monty for Shark would intrigue me. But again I don’t get what they are doing all this just to sign Jay horsefeathering Bruce like who or what do they think they are? They aren’t a Bruce (he isn’t even good) away with weakening their staff, I get they can’t just keep spending and have to be cognizant of the LT but still. Just odd moves. Keep what they have and patch work the OF with some combo of Jay/Dyson/Gomez/Bautista/Gonzalez (salary dump Pence) and sign Walker or Frazier for 3B and try and make a go of it while keeping the rest of the pitching in place instead of signing Bruce.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:01 am

So trade for Patrick Corbin as a 1-year stopgap or the field? (The field being make the big trade for Archer (or someone else good), sign Cobb, sign Darvish, sign Arrieta, go with Montgomery and sign lesser depth options.)

I'm leaning acquiring Corbin assuming the price is fair (meaning none of Happ, Almora, Schwarber, etc.). Next would be the big trade for Archer or a similar starter and then Darvish.
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:17 am

CubsWin wrote:So trade for Patrick Corbin as a 1-year stopgap or the field? (The field being make the big trade for Archer (or someone else good), sign Cobb, sign Darvish, sign Arrieta, go with Montgomery and sign lesser depth options.)

I'm leaning acquiring Corbin assuming the price is fair (meaning none of Happ, Almora, Schwarber, etc.). Next would be the big trade for Archer or a similar starter and then Darvish.

Anything from just signing Hellickson to a cheap guaranteed 1 year deal with incentives to a mega trade for Archer/Stroman or signing Darvish wouldn't surprise me TBH.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:47 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
CubsWin wrote:So trade for Patrick Corbin as a 1-year stopgap or the field? (The field being make the big trade for Archer (or someone else good), sign Cobb, sign Darvish, sign Arrieta, go with Montgomery and sign lesser depth options.)

Anything from just signing Hellickson to a cheap guaranteed 1 year deal with incentives to a mega trade for Archer/Stroman or signing Darvish wouldn't surprise me TBH.

What would you prefer to see happen? (I should've rephrased the original question...)
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:35 am

CubsWin wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:

What would you prefer to see happen? (I should've rephrased the original question...)

Cobb is probably still my preference assuming the $20 mil aav isn't true/his price comes down (something like 3/50 I'd live with), then probably a salary dump Samardzija trade, then probably Darvish is my third option (if Samardzija takes a Happ or major league level guy I'd prefer Darvish). If none of those happen I'd prefer not to do a Archer trade and just go the cheap route (though I wouldn't be happy with it) and do like Hellickson and some sort of flyer guy along the Anderson level from last year.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Agony and Ivy
All-Star

Postby Agony and Ivy » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:01 pm

Well our offseason is a complete diaasater. The Vaunted Brewers just signed Yovani Gallardo. We might as well just put a bow on the division and hand it over. I think Theo has lost his touch.
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:09 am

David wrote:
Tim wrote:They could also be leaking this to help with Archer/Salazar talks.

I certainly wouldn't be against a Darvish signing. He's a hell of a pitcher. I hope the contract doesn't get that ridiculous, of course. But he makes this rotation damn solid if he's healthy. Essentially, they could sign a backup catcher afterwards and call it an offseason. I'd be pretty happy keeping all our MLB assets as depth.

Once we got to the playoffs, the rotation would have Darvish, Quintana, Lester & Hendricks. Chatwood & Smyly would be free to join the pen to add depth there. If you feel that we've got enough bullpen to win the division, then the playoff pen should be plenty deep when adding those guys.

Using the Japanese media for that?

Why wouldn't Theo just use Gammons as his shill as he usually does?

This is some real deep state horsefeathers
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:36 am

Agony and Ivy wrote:Well our offseason is a complete diaasater. The Vaunted Brewers just signed Yovani Gallardo. We might as well just put a bow on the division and hand it over. I think Theo has lost his touch.

It’s too bad Stearns is smart and realizes, like the majority of the board, the Brewers are a bunch of sucky bunch of sucks and literally their whole roster is a regression candidate. If Melvin was still running things he’d spend major FA money/prospect assets because last seasons team tricked him in to thinking they were good when they really are a low-mid 70s win team as presently constructed. I think Sterns is gonna low key tank them this year with their expected regression and lack of quality additions.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:47 am

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
David wrote:
Tim wrote:They could also be leaking this to help with Archer/Salazar talks.

I certainly wouldn't be against a Darvish signing. He's a hell of a pitcher. I hope the contract doesn't get that ridiculous, of course. But he makes this rotation damn solid if he's healthy. Essentially, they could sign a backup catcher afterwards and call it an offseason. I'd be pretty happy keeping all our MLB assets as depth.

Once we got to the playoffs, the rotation would have Darvish, Quintana, Lester & Hendricks. Chatwood & Smyly would be free to join the pen to add depth there. If you feel that we've got enough bullpen to win the division, then the playoff pen should be plenty deep when adding those guys.

Using the Japanese media for that?

Why wouldn't Theo just use Gammons as his shill as he usually does?

This is some real deep state horsefeathers

The FCC horsefeathers and shutting down AOL IM are all part of the plan.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:07 am

I know he’s never healthy and maybe they’ll hold on to him to eat some innings/hope he stays healthy for the first half and maybe get a decent prospect at the deadline. But if McCarthy gets cut or could be had for just organizational filler I’d be interested. We could just go sign a Hellickson or Chacin or something too I guess and it would be cheaper. But the little he has been healthy the last 3 years McCarthy has been good to average.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Enn Tea
All-Star

Postby Enn Tea » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:21 am

Why dont we like Lance Lynn? Any word on his asking price?
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:23 am

Enn Tea wrote:Why dont we like Lance Lynn? Any word on his asking price?

Peripherals aren’t great
0 x
Win it for Fred

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:29 am

Enn Tea wrote:Why dont we like Lance Lynn? Any word on his asking price?

Everyone just realized this offseason that Lance Lynn is actually a pitching machine stolen from a Pennsylvania batting cage, modified to throw with a little movement, and then stuffed with pillows to look like a person.
5 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:40 am

From yesterday's MLBTR chat:

"I am the walrus
5:57
Cubs trade Happ, Russell, Carantini and Alzolay for Archer. Done deal?

Jason Martinez
5:58
That would get it done. I don't think the Cubs would offer that much and I don't they'd have to offer that much. Happ, Caratini, Alzolay and another prospect, maybe."

So Happ, Caratini, Alzolay, and another prospect for Archer? :beg:
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:49 pm

If that was all it cost it would be done already
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:18 pm

0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:45 pm

Lower mid tier pitcher meets lower mid tier franchise, Cobb is perfect for the Brewers.
1 x

champaignchris
Starter

Postby champaignchris » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:44 pm

The Brewers have already signed Gallardo and Chacin. I would have thought that took them out of the race for any of the higher tier pitchers.
0 x

Return to “Transactions”