Cubs trade Eloy, Cease, others for Quintana

mul21
5-Time All-Star

Re: Cubs trade Eloy, Cease, others for Quintana

Postby mul21 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:58 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:That Brewerfan thread is delightful. They're so glad the Cubs traded prospects for a good player since that means the prospects can't be good players for the Cubs or be traded for a good player later. Some also seem to think Quintana-caliber pitchers are regularly reaching Free Agency.

Man, you ain't lyin!

A delusional Brewers fan wrote:So the Cubs have officially depleted their minor league system and no longer have any top 100 prospects. All for a guy they rented for a month (Chapman) and for a pitcher who is no more than their #3 on a struggling pitching staff. Talk about desperate. I would have been irate if we gave up Brinson and another top player for Quintana. He is over rated IMO. Please let me know how getting a #3 pitcher helps out their struggling offense and terrible defense. If we are giving up top prospects like this, it better be an Archer/Stroman type.

Looking at the Cubs, knowing they had Eloy Jimenez yet to come up made me upset and jealous. This will be a trade they will regret in a year or two. This guy will be a 40+ hr masher with a great BA and OPS. Thank you Theo for getting desperate. Eloy was destroying field light bulbs in the homer run derby and during games. some serious power.
0 x
I like beer.

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:04 pm

What should make him jealous way more than Eloy is the fact that we won the flipping World Series last year.
2 x
Not saying it will happen, but the Cubs coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series does seem like the appropriate way to cap off this season and make the 30-for-30 even better.

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:05 pm

i love how fans have no concept how to evaluate where starting pitchers rate.

reminds me of that one guy who kept insisting that dempster was at best a #4.

as for this trade, i really really liked eloy and it is a bummer to lose him, but realistically there was no way they were getting a pitcher like quintana without giving up eloy. it was pretty important to add a good team-controlled SP given that lackey is done, arrieta is gone in a few months, lester is getting older and the #5 starter has generally been a dud all year. nothing really on the way in the upper minors either.
4 x
Fred Hornkohl wrote:Go CUBS !!

Gmoney08
All-Star

Postby Gmoney08 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:13 pm

HendryWallet wrote:He is a good #3. The Cubs gave up at top 3 prospect in the game for a guy that has underwhelmed this season until recently. Watch him pitch and tell me he is an ace...its just not there. Who will argue that?

Lol I feel like im in a scene from moneyball.

HendrysWallet one of the oldschool scout calling Billy Beane and Theo idiots when all you have to do is watch Quintana pitch.

Theo - "well 5 years of statistics say..."

HendrysWallet - "quit it you nerd just watch him pitch"
4 x

philosophizer75
All-Star

Postby philosophizer75 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:28 pm

Oh hell yes, I get to see him debut as a Cub in Baltimore this Sunday.
0 x
\:D/ wubalubaCUBCUB! \:D/

When Schwarber wins the WS with a big fat dong and uses his bat to club to death every player on the other team and half their fans, I expect every one of these talking heads to defend him. -yanrslatr

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:36 pm

I understand the deal, appreciate the value assessment, but I don't particularly love the deal. It's not an issue of Quintana. Love the contract, like the pitcher enough. It's more an issue that I'm not sure this team was at an all-in move position to thin out the system this much. It's an uphill climb this year.

Still, Quintana was as much a buy for the next few years, allowing them to allocate financial resources with much more flexibility.

While there isn't much to really love about Flete, there's a little part of me that wonders if he might be Josh Harrison-ish and find himself a major league career as a late bloomer (granted, Harrison was never really a late bloomer in the way Flete was).
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:56 pm

toonsterwu wrote:I understand the deal, appreciate the value assessment, but I don't particularly love the deal. It's not an issue of Quintana. Love the contract, like the pitcher enough. It's more an issue that I'm not sure this team was at an all-in move position to thin out the system this much. It's an uphill climb this year.

Still, Quintana was as much a buy for the next few years, allowing them to allocate financial resources with much more flexibility.

While there isn't much to really love about Flete, there's a little part of me that wonders if he might be Josh Harrison-ish and find himself a major league career as a late bloomer (granted, Harrison was never really a late bloomer in the way Flete was).

I'm not going to lose sleep over losing a potential version of Josh horsefeathering Harrison
1 x
Screw Pitchers

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:56 pm

Theo's unabridged comments: https://theathletic.com/75441/2017/07/1 ... -quintana/

A few highlights:

- They did a lot of investigation(both scouting and analytical) on Quintana's 2017 and feel good that it's an aberration

- They're interested in adding more pieces at the deadline, although (paraphrasing) this deal sets them up to not feel forced into any moves

- Hahn admitted after the deal was done that there was no way for it to get done without both Eloy and Cease
0 x

cubsclapp
Starter

Postby cubsclapp » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:05 am

toonsterwu wrote:I understand the deal, appreciate the value assessment, but I don't particularly love the deal. It's not an issue of Quintana. Love the contract, like the pitcher enough. It's more an issue that I'm not sure this team was at an all-in move position to thin out the system this much. It's an uphill climb this year.

Like you said, it's about the next few years. That he can help them hopefully contend to win the whole damn thing this year is just a bonus.

They'd make this same trade in the offseason. To me that's the ultimate question: did they overpay now for a run at immediate success? No. He wasn't going to be able to be had for cheaper than an Eloy/Cease-led price in the winter.
0 x
@TheBlogfines

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:42 am

if you feel bad about losing a top hitting prospect for 3.5 years of a very good pitcher, just watch some russell/soler/baez/almora at-bats
2 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:47 am

17 Seconds wrote:if you feel bad about losing a top hitting prospect for 3.5 years of a very good pitcher, just watch some russell/soler/baez/almora at-bats

then I’ll watch KB bat against a Mets pitcher and be immediately sad again
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:58 am

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:if you feel bad about losing a top hitting prospect for 3.5 years of a very good pitcher, just watch some russell/soler/baez/almora at-bats

but then imagine if kb got to bat against our pitching
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:14 am

toonsterwu wrote:I understand the deal, appreciate the value assessment, but I don't particularly love the deal. It's not an issue of Quintana. Love the contract, like the pitcher enough. It's more an issue that I'm not sure this team was at an all-in move position to thin out the system this much.

They would have been regardless of how well the team was doing right now; there's no way around how they needed to add to upgrade the starting rotation both this year and going forward.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:16 am

17 Seconds wrote:
Ding Dong Johnson wrote:

but then imagine if kb got to bat against our pitching

now I’m imagining russell/soler/baez/almora batting against our pitching, and they’re awesome again
1 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:02 am

The system seems very thin. I'm not concerned at all. We've got ML depth to trade from, if we feel the need to make ANOTHER blockbuster.

We've got average to above average depth in the system currently. We also have a fair amount of high upside, breakout types.

As much as I love prospects, I don't give a horsefeathers if the system is outside the top 25. We can still make a blockbuster. And we've got plenty of stuff to get us smaller additions too.

Still kind of in shock we pulled this off. Sets us up soooooo horsefeathering good for a few years.
5 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:04 am

Everyone knows theres about an 85% chance Quintana allows a run in the first inning of his first start and there will be 4 variations of "I guess he's officially a cub" jokes made in the game thread right?
0 x
Win it for Fred

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:07 am

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:That Brewerfan thread is delightful. They're so glad the Cubs traded prospects for a good player since that means the prospects can't be good players for the Cubs or be traded for a good player later. Some also seem to think Quintana-caliber pitchers are regularly reaching Free Agency.

esp because the cubs are so screwed for the future now, esp with position players
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:12 am

i feel like we kind of glossed over the guy who is in this thread arguing with himself on 3 different accounts
7 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:16 am

17 Seconds wrote:i feel like we kind of glossed over the guy who is in this thread arguing with himself on 3 different accounts

that was a hell of a twist
2 x

Outshined_One
Blam.

Postby Outshined_One » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:21 am

17 Seconds wrote:i feel like we kind of glossed over the guy who is in this thread arguing with himself on 3 different accounts

I've kinda gotten lazy about stomping that out over the last few years. My B.
0 x

Perd
Role Player

Postby Perd » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:23 am

I love this trade. Even more so because the news was broken by KatyPerrysButtHole.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:27 am

Dammit, does that mean Peterman got banned? That persona was cool.
4 x
► Show Spoiler

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:30 am

and he tried scamming the HR Derby contest
1 x

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:12 am

NonProfitCow wrote:

and he tried scamming the HR Derby contest

9 x

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:14 am

rip peterman

too beautiful to live
4 x

Return to “Transactions”