Sexy Dexy Talk

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Re: Why is Carrie Muskat tweeting that fowler is back to the Cubs on a 1 year deal?

Postby CubinNY » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:10 pm

Felix Leiter wrote:
David wrote:
Cubbie Swagger wrote:The first time I watched that clip, I thought it was Fowler. After watching it a couple more times, I think it's Theo. Why would Fowler say, "Ya'll thought this [expletive] was over, [expletive]?" That sounds like Theo just beating his chest a little bit. He knows he's killing it.

Christ. This really isn't even debatable.

David, please don't use the Son of God's name like that. Ironic that you are so hung up on who said a profanity and then use something extremely profane.

Thanks.

All I said to my wife was that piece of halibut is good enough for Jehova.
2 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Re: Why is Carrie Muskat tweeting that fowler is back to the Cubs on a 1 year deal?

Postby CubinNY » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:12 pm

Also, I'm not that fired up about Fowler. I like the signing though.
0 x

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:20 pm

CubinNY wrote:Also, I'm not that fired up about Fowler. I like the signing though.

It's not so much being fired up about it in and of itself. It's just that it says so much about this team.
0 x

Cubbie Swagger
All-Star

Postby Cubbie Swagger » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:54 pm

Slightly off-topic: I sometimes wonder if Theo and Jed are actually massive douches behind the scenes. It's pretty hard to dominate life like that and stay humble. I would know.
3 x

Liam Neeson
All-Star

Postby Liam Neeson » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:03 pm

bukie wrote:Just when I think I read the stupidest argument in NSBB history, this thread continues to one up itself.

I"m still here waiting how to continue on with my life after I found out that there was a possibility that Starlin Castro did not write that article for The Players' Tribune himself.
1 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:07 pm

Cubbie Swagger wrote:Slightly off-topic: I sometimes wonder if Theo and Jed are actually massive douches behind the scenes. It's pretty hard to dominate life like that and stay humble. I would know.

I think it's pretty hard to dominate life and be a massive douche. I don't think they are humble but they must treat guys pretty fairly. I think a good case in point is Theo having a beer with Shark.
0 x

RammyFanny
All-Star

Postby RammyFanny » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:17 pm

StylesClash wrote:2013-2015 Fowler OPS:

Versus Lefties: 870
Versus Righties: 733

Unless there is genuine concern over Heyward's ability to play Center Field Fowler should be platooning with Schwarber, not Soler. Soler, at his very worst, should be more than capable of putting together a righty OPS of around 733.

I mean Soler literally just put together a righty OPS lower than that last season. And that's not even getting into defense.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:25 pm

From Roch's article (columnist in Baltimore):

They're not going to lay it all out publicly. Meanwhile, there's heavy speculation that the Cubs jumped in late, as they're known to do, and the Orioles' agreement fell apart.

lmao people are so pissed because the Cubs are awesome.

Also, I know typical Chicago sports radio drivel, but I heard multiple people on the score speculate that the Cubs might end up being accused of tampering and losing draft picks. I'm pretty sure that until a FA has signed on the dotted line, clubs are able to freely speak with and negotiate with a FA. Idiots.
0 x
Win it for Fred

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:31 pm

I tend to think that the "Cubs jumped in late" is probably similar to the Zobrist situation - basically, give us a call before you sign. Either way ... unless there's clear-cut evidence of "tampering" (hard to see how that word is being thrown around, as Fowler didn't have a signed contract), it's hard to see any sort of punishment happen.

Much as the 2nd round pick staying sounded nice, this is even better, and in combination with the Coghlan move is just stunning. I didn't even think this was possible. I thought some team would offer a solid contract to Fowler for 2-3 years, and he'd take it, but I guess, thinking about Close, I should've realized they wanted an opt out. The additional depth in the rotation with Aaron Brooks is just icing on top.

And the crazy part is ... the Cubs haven't REALLY pushed all in. We've kept most of the system chips so that, if something happens midseason, we can really push all-in and still try to add a needed piece or two. Just crazy how smooth this offseason has gone.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:32 pm

UMFan83 wrote:From Roch's article (columnist in Baltimore):

They're not going to lay it all out publicly. Meanwhile, there's heavy speculation that the Cubs jumped in late, as they're known to do, and the Orioles' agreement fell apart.

Also, I know typical Chicago sports radio drivel, but I heard multiple people on the score speculate that the Cubs might end up being accused of tampering and losing draft picks. I'm pretty sure that until a FA has signed on the dotted line, clubs are able to freely speak with and negotiate with a FA. Idiots.

I think Casey Close's mic drop statement says all that needs to be said about the affair.

Aside, did you know that he is married to Gretchen Carelson of Fox and Friends fame?
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:36 pm

I managed to hear about 10 min of Chris Rongey last night, scratching his head about why Fowler would only want a 1 year deal...and how dumb it was, etc...

A bunch of texters/emailers must've explained how week next years crop of outfielders is, but he dismissed that as a huge risk because of possibly being injured or bad this year.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:37 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL8e2ujXe8g
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:43 pm

I tend to think Close went overboard on his comments there when Duquette already acknowledged he never thought a deal was close. My own hunch, based on the news reported, is that Duquette knew all along about their desire for an opt out, but both parties worked on the parameters of a deal as there weren't many other options, so might as well look at things. Hence why Fowler told Adam Jones he was coming down to Florida a few days ago. Nothing was finalized, but somehow, maybe secondary Orioles officials leaked that things were getting close, hence why the news reports went crazy about a deal. Close probably had an agreement with the Cubs to give them a call before a deal, or something along the lines, and the Cubs came in with an offer, and he's back.

Either way, hard to see any real wrong-doing here by any parties. Everyone was simply doing business, and somehow leaks happened, which happens a lot. Now, if Duquette leaked it, or someone close to him, perhaps that's a different story, but the word out of the DC area doesn't suggest that.

____

As for the Orioles - I don't really blame them at all for wanting to drive a hard-line. Hell, I've been of the opinion they should've just avoided Gallardo and Fowler and kept the picks. To be quite honest, if Kim's discipline translates from Korea, they might be fine. Margin of error is simply less now, unless they can surprise with another move (still believe they should try and shop Britton for help now and prospects, which I think they could get ... would still have a good pen). That said, Duquette's said a deal wasn't close, and I can understand wanting more than 1 guaranteed year for giving up the pick.
0 x

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:46 pm

Banedon wrote:

I managed to hear about 10 min of Chris Rongey last night, scratching his head about why Fowler would only want a 1 year deal...and how dumb it was, etc...

A bunch of texters/emailers must've explained how week next years crop of outfielders is, but he dismissed that as a huge risk because of possibly being injured or bad this year.

There's some risk for Fowler, but I think the argument why it makes sense is because Fowler's strongest attribute that he was selling was really his discipline/approach. Of course, health is a factor, but assuming he's healthy ... and gets enough AB's ... he should still show enough to get a decent 2-3 year deal next year. I doubt he'll ever land that big, long term, 4-5 year deal, as teams don't seem likely to give that out to guys his level, but maybe Close can get it.
0 x

Elrhino
All-Star

Postby Elrhino » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:54 pm

Pretty funny listening to a team that waits until the end of February to address their needs in FA accuse another team of jumping in late.
0 x

JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:44 pm

toonsterwu wrote:
And the crazy part is ... the Cubs haven't REALLY pushed all in. We've kept most of the system chips so that, if something happens midseason, we can really push all-in and still try to add a needed piece or two. Just crazy how smooth this offseason has gone.

Yeah. We've really only given up Castro and some draft picks. It would be nice if we could package some hitting prospects for SP prospects or something, drum up some excitement from the pitching side of things, but I have faith we'll add more pitching when the deal makes sense for us.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:52 pm

JennieGarthAlgar wrote:
toonsterwu wrote:

Yeah. We've really only given up Castro and some draft picks. It would be nice if we could package some hitting prospects for SP prospects or something, drum up some excitement from the pitching side of things, but I have faith we'll add more pitching when the deal makes sense for us.

They've pretty much promoted all their big chips to the major leagues, and with the exception of Soler and Baez, don't really have impact trade pieces.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:08 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
JennieGarthAlgar wrote:
toonsterwu wrote:

They've pretty much promoted all their big chips to the major leagues, and with the exception of Soler and Baez, don't really have impact trade pieces.

I mean, I didn't say they had to be impact prospects we trade, did I? Not saying the SP prospects we get back are top 25 guys either, but I'd think aside from Contreras, we could afford to move any of our top 5 guys and not really flinch, and maybe finally Vogelbach finds an AL suitor. Anyway, I think we could easily package 3 or 4 guys to get back 2 exciting-ish arms, but I will acknowledge that I do not have MLB front office experience.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:39 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
JennieGarthAlgar wrote:
toonsterwu wrote:

I mean they still have a top 10 system by most accounts with a few guys taking steps forward by the deadline I think it's probable they can get a relative impact starter from using just minor leaguers.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:41 pm

Part of me wants to see an ending to this with Manfred announcing that the NL will incorporate a DH effective immediately, upon which Theo simply walks up and drops the mic and walks out.
0 x
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:47 pm

Banedon wrote:

I agree with Rongey that it wasn't exactly a smart decision financially. Not at all, really. I think he opted for comfort and winning and a little possible contractual upside. I don't see him getting much more money next year, weaker crop aside. He'll be a year older, will be in at least somewhat less of an everyday role, and who knows if he'll have as productive a season.
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:04 pm

I like this move. Now there is no need for Soler to put on a uniform when it is below fifty degrees Fahrenheit.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:51 pm

Felix Leiter wrote:
David wrote:
Cubbie Swagger wrote:The first time I watched that clip, I thought it was Fowler. After watching it a couple more times, I think it's Theo. Why would Fowler say, "Ya'll thought this [expletive] was over, [expletive]?" That sounds like Theo just beating his chest a little bit. He knows he's killing it.

Christ. This really isn't even debatable.

David, please don't use the Son of God's name like that. Ironic that you are so hung up on who said a profanity and then use something extremely profane.

Thanks.

0 x
► Show Spoiler

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:17 am

OH literally has a 90 page thread where the same 3 things are said over and over. Dexter is a liar and used the Orioles, Theo is scum for poaching Dexter and Close is a liar both in regards to the trade and the statement he issued. There's also a good number of wishing ill on Fowler physically and financial as well as Cub hating.
0 x

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:26 am

Tryptamine wrote:OH literally has a 90 page thread where the same 3 things are said over and over. Dexter is a liar and used the Orioles, Theo is scum for poaching Dexter and Close is a liar both in regards to the trade and the statement he issued. There's also a good number of wishing ill on Fowler physically and financial as well as Cub hating.

i was wondering why orioles fans were so worked up about little ol dexter fowler and then i remembered that he probably doesn't project to be like the 11th best player on their team like he does on ours
6 x

Return to “Transactions”