Christian Yelich

toonsterwu
All-Star

Re: Christian Yelich

Postby toonsterwu » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:16 am

I am mildly curious, based off the Ozuna trade, what they would be targeting with a Yelich deal. With the fact that

a) After this last trade, they are pretty deep on the pitching side, prospect wise.

b) Their top pitching arms are relatively far away (Rogers/Kolek/Garrett/Guzman are all at least 3 years away, in all likelihood)

It feels like, giving Jeter benefit of the doubt here, that they are looking towards, say 2020/2021 as their push years. Thus, the Cubs might conceivably be "in the game" on a Yelich trade better than I thought a few months back. It seems reasonable to think that at some point, they would target positional assets, as they are thin on the farm side. Perhaps the high upside of Ademan, probably as a second piece, could intrigue them.

Still think other teams would emerge to the forefront, but something like Happ/Ademan/? would be my thought process as of now (with Sierra in there as a center fielder, seems unlikely that they would want Almora). Getting Yelich, in CF, at the top of that lineup ... would be the cherry on top, though.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:53 pm

toonsterwu wrote:I am mildly curious, based off the Ozuna trade, what they would be targeting with a Yelich deal.

Yelich would make the entire starting outfield plus the starting 2B for the Marlins. He’s their most valuable trade chip so I could see the conversation starting with Almora + Happ with a full season ball pitcher (Rucker?), and then further off guys with tools like Brailyn Marquez and Jonathan Sierra as the minor league prospects.
0 x

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:31 pm

If they trade Yelich, it will be a baseball trade. They've cleared salary, and he's cheap, so the only reason to trade is to accumulate GOOD prospects plural, not financial.

The Cubs farm is empty, so I don't think they can be players.

Unless Miami REALLY likes Almora and Happ a lot more than I expect (or think they should). I assume that IF they want to trade Yelich, there will be other teams who can offer much better prospect package than the Cubs can.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:10 pm

craig wrote:If they trade Yelich, it will be a baseball trade. They've cleared salary, and he's cheap, so the only reason to trade is to accumulate GOOD prospects plural, not financial.

What this post presupposes is..., they are the Marlins.
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:18 pm

craig wrote:If they trade Yelich, it will be a baseball trade. They've cleared salary, and he's cheap, so the only reason to trade is to accumulate GOOD prospects plural, not financial.

The Cubs farm is empty, so I don't think they can be players.

Unless Miami REALLY likes Almora and Happ a lot more than I expect (or think they should). I assume that IF they want to trade Yelich, there will be other teams who can offer much better prospect package than the Cubs can.

I said it on a previous page and maybe they just don't like him but Happ is a pretty damn good "prospect." 20+ HR as a 22 year old in MLB (33 combined between AAA and MLB), with positional versatility and pedigree (top 10 pick) and he'll play the whole year at 23. If he would've stayed in AAA and mashed like he was or not hit the requirements to lose prospect status in MLB he probably would be a top 15 and possibly top 10 or so prospect in all of MLB right now.
1 x
Screw Pitchers

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:56 pm

0 x
Screw Pitchers

Enn Tea
All-Star

Postby Enn Tea » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:07 am

Cubswin11 wrote:https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/942900850153975808

Man, that contract makes him one of the most valuable players in baseball imo, and Jeter hasnt gotten fair value yet. Time to strike and steal us a Yelich.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:10 am

25 years old with 17.7 career bWAR already under his belt.....yeah, me likey
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:02 pm

update:

0 x
Win it for Fred

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:51 pm

If they are as broke as they reportedly are, would Almora + Azolay + Caratini (assuming they trade Realmuto too) be enough? Maybe with some filler players?
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:21 am

weis21 wrote:If they are as broke as they reportedly are, would Almora + Azolay + Caratini (assuming they trade Realmuto too) be enough? Maybe with some filler players?

I'm thinking it'd be more like Happ, Almora, Alzolay, and Caratini. Even then, I'm not sure someone else doesn't it.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:50 am

0 x
Screw Pitchers

Bertz
Starter

Postby Bertz » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:20 pm

From Brett (via Kaplan)

Anyway, one GM told Kaplan that the Cubs’ price to acquire Marlins outfielder Christian Yelich would land somewhere in this range: “Think about the best young players on the Cubs’ roster and two or more of those guys would be the cost along with a top prospect or two.” The word “best” makes things tricky – obviously that doesn’t include Bryant, Contreras, Rizzo, or Hendricks, because those four are not going anywhere. But could everyone else be in play? I think so. So, theoretically, would Ian Happ, Albert Almora, and two of Ademan/Alzolay/Albertos get it done? Would you do that? Would the Marlins? Would another team out there top it?

I don't think I'd pay that price, but at the same time I don't think it's necessarily an unfair ask.
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:23 pm

either the quote or brett's translation makes no sense
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:23 pm

Bertz wrote:From Brett (via Kaplan)

Anyway, one GM told Kaplan that the Cubs’ price to acquire Marlins outfielder Christian Yelich would land somewhere in this range: “Think about the best young players on the Cubs’ roster and two or more of those guys would be the cost along with a top prospect or two.” The word “best” makes things tricky – obviously that doesn’t include Bryant, Contreras, Rizzo, or Hendricks, because those four are not going anywhere. But could everyone else be in play? I think so. So, theoretically, would Ian Happ, Albert Almora, and two of Ademan/Alzolay/Albertos get it done? Would you do that? Would the Marlins? Would another team out there top it?

I don't think I'd pay that price, but at the same time I don't think it's necessarily an unfair ask.

i'd do it yesterday
2 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:24 pm

David wrote:

i'd do it yesterday

Yeah, I'd do Happ, Almora and Alzolay (or whatever pitching prospect they want) all day.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Bobson Dugnutt
All-Star

Postby Bobson Dugnutt » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:27 pm

my thought all along has been that a deal doesn't get done without including happ and almora. but i don't even think twice about pulling the trigger.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:33 pm

Why wouldn't you do it? What player out of that bunch is the one that makes you say "nope, that's too much" ?
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:46 pm

Please do that and run
0 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:49 pm

I'd too assume Happ and Almora would be in that trade. Albertos is a really nice prospect but he's so far away from the majors. If it's those three plus another prospect (de la Cruz, Hatch, Zagunis, Wilson, etc), I don't think that's unreasonable and I'd take that deal.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:49 pm

Is there any way to stay under the LT if we trade for Yelich, sign Yu, sign Maybin, Gomez or Jackson (if Happ/Almora are both traded we need a RHH OF who can play all 3 spots) and also bring Avila back? That would be a phenomenal end to the offseason.
Last edited by Cubswin11 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:58 pm

happ is the only one of those players that even slightly would hurt to get rid of, and if he produced like yelich (who i believe is under control thru 2021) i'd be ecstatic. i don't really care about almora nor do i care about any prospects in our crappy system.
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:00 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:Is there any way to stay under the LT if we trade for Yelich, sign Yu, sign Maybin, Gomez or Jackson (if Happ/Almora are both trades we need a RHH OF who can play all 3 spots) and also bring Avila back? That would be a phenomenal end to the offseason.

You'd need to find a way to sell off Zobrist.

The alternative is Russell for a SP, Happ/Almora+ for Yelich + Castro
0 x

Bertz
Starter

Postby Bertz » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:02 pm

Banedon wrote:

Why wouldn't you do it? What player out of that bunch is the one that makes you say "nope, that's too much" ?

It's two parts the guys we're losing and one part liking but not loving Yelich. Losing both of Almora/Happ and two of our top prospects basically cleans us out of valuable disposable assets. So this summer or next winter when some hole pops up we're that much less likely to have the pieces to fill it via trade. That's not the end of the world, but I guess I don't think Yelich is enough of an upgrade to want to put the team in that situation. Particularly with how thin our pitching staff is, I think we need to have the resources on hand to be able to go and grab a guy when something inevitably goes wrong.

Basically I'd rather win 93 games and save our bullets than push our chips in to win 95 games. Though like I said I don't think it's an unreasonable price, he's a very good player on a fantastic contract.
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:03 pm

David wrote:happ is the only one of those players that even slightly would hurt to get rid of, and if he produced like yelich (who i believe is under control thru 2021) i'd be ecstatic. i don't really care about almora nor do i care about any prospects in our crappy system.

Exactly how I feel. Happ is the only guy who could/would hurt a bit or come close to Yelich’s production and losing some position/roster flexibility with him sucks. But Yelich is so very good, young and controlled I’m fine with it. There’s a handful of cheapish guys available every year in FA (like Maybin and Jackson like I mentioned above) that can give you what Almora can. And yeah don’t care what pitching they want or we lose.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Return to “Transactions”