Offseason Transactions

bd811
All-Star

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby bd811 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:26 pm

if that happens, i wonder if it'd be two players going in the same deal to land one of the top flight pitchers out there, or separately to address both closer and the rotation.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:39 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:
davell wrote:A few general thoughts, from articles heading into the GM meetings, from Gordo, Mooney, and Levine....

We were mentioned on Morrow and McGee again.

We supposedly have between 65-75 mill to spend. (Assuming arb guys included there)

Seems like less spending this year, to open up next years checkbook

Cobb mentioned as a guy we could sign very early, so we head into the Winter Meetings in a strengthier position for trading.

One or TWO of our position player group could be dealt.

Gd right

The last one is exciting. I don’t particularly buy into the non-Bryant/Rizzo/Contreras group and am excited by what the FO might land (coughStromanandOsunacough).

I like those 2. I also want horsefeathering Neshek lol.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:43 pm

bd811 wrote:if that happens, i wonder if it'd be two players going in the same deal to land one of the top flight pitchers out there, or separately to address both closer and the rotation.

I'm starting to think it'd take 2 of them, if you're actually going to convince Tampa or Toronto to deal Archer or Stroman.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

bd811
All-Star

Postby bd811 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:57 pm

davell wrote:
bd811 wrote:if that happens, i wonder if it'd be two players going in the same deal to land one of the top flight pitchers out there, or separately to address both closer and the rotation.

I'm starting to think it'd take 2 of them, if you're actually going to convince Tampa or Toronto to deal Archer or Stroman.

Yeah, I'm thinking for one of those two, it'd take two of Happ/Almora/Schwarber and prospects (or just Russell plus some prospects?). The alternative would be the Happ-for-closer type trade that was being discussed here a few days ago, and then one of the other two for a mid/back of the rotation controllable starter (ideally a younger pitcher with upside).
0 x

Bertz
bench player

Postby Bertz » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:05 pm

davell wrote:A few general thoughts, from articles heading into the GM meetings, from Gordo, Mooney, and Levine....

We were mentioned on Morrow and McGee again.

We supposedly have between 65-75 mill to spend. (Assuming arb guys included there)

Seems like less spending this year, to open up next years checkbook

Cobb mentioned as a guy we could sign very early, so we head into the Winter Meetings in a strengthier position for trading.

One or TWO of our position player group could be dealt.

I love all of this, pending who the one or two guys are. McGee's my favorite reliever target and assuming Morrow's medicals look good he's even better.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Cobb signs this weekend. It seems so inevitable on both his side and ours that I wonder if they're just waiting for the qualifying offer period to end before making it official.
0 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:28 pm

bd811 wrote:
davell wrote:

Yeah, I'm thinking for one of those two, it'd take two of Happ/Almora/Schwarber and prospects (or just Russell plus some prospects?). The alternative would be the Happ-for-closer type trade that was being discussed here a few days ago, and then one of the other two for a mid/back of the rotation controllable starter (ideally a younger pitcher with upside).

I'd go for Schwarber and Russell instead of Happ or Almora. Schwarber needs to be in the AL because he was born to DH. Russell can be replaced by moving Baez to SS with Happ/Zobrist playing 2B & LF. Almora has shown me enough to be a solid CF and Happ has the power, speed, and versatility to be a valuable member of the team for the next decade.
0 x

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:32 pm

Backtobanks wrote:
bd811 wrote:
davell wrote:

I'd go for Schwarber and Russell instead of Happ or Almora. Schwarber needs to be in the AL because he was born to DH. Russell can be replaced by moving Baez to SS with Happ/Zobrist playing 2B & LF. Almora has shown me enough to be a solid CF and Happ has the power, speed, and versatility to be a valuable member of the team for the next decade.

You keep saying this and it's not getting any less ridiculous. That's a gigantic downgrade defensively and just an outrageous kneejerk undersell of a pre-prime cost-controlled Russell.
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:34 pm

Backtobanks wrote:
bd811 wrote:
davell wrote:

weird
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:15 pm

http://www.bleachernation.com/2017/11/1 ... sequences/

According to Nightingale, we went over the LT in 2017. I don't see how and he's an idiot anyway.

If we did, I'd say we'd be likely to stay under this season. But, I really don't think we went over.

MLBTR says the teams that went over were the Dodgers, Yankees, Nationals, Giants, and Tigers. So, Nightingale has us and the Red Sox, and not the Nationals.

I think MLBTR is correct.

If we ARE in the LT, it means we lose our 2nd and 5th rounders for signing a QO player and it'd mean we lose a million, instead of 500,000 in IFA money.
Last edited by davell on Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:18 pm

Russell’s a solid starting ML SS with an elite pedigree entering peak prime power years. That’s...even if you don’t buy him becoming a superstar that is a wildly valuable player. It would be devastating to go from him to Baez in 2018.
3 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:28 pm

davell wrote:http://www.bleachernation.com/2017/11/13/report-cubs-topped-the-luxury-tax-limit-again-which-would-have-offseason-consequences/

According to Nightingale, we went over the LT in 2017. I don't see how and he's an idiot anyway.

If we did, I'd say we'd be likely to stay under this season. But, I really don't think we went over.

Yeah I’m having a hard time seeing how we went over
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:44 pm

Cubs Insider thinks Nightengale used the dollars paid instead of the AAVs: http://www.cubsinsider.com/2017/11/13/c ... ybe-wrong/
2 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:50 pm

Is there an official date they announce teams who went over the LT?
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:04 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:Russell’s a solid starting ML SS with an elite pedigree entering peak prime power years. That’s...even if you don’t buy him becoming a superstar that is a wildly valuable player. It would be devastating to go from him to Baez in 2018.

Of course he's valuable, which is why he would probably get us some of the big name pitchers we've been discussing. I think you're totally exaggerating by saying "It would be devastating to go from him to Baez in 2018", when he showed that he was more than able to replace him when Russell was out with an injury. The defense would suffer at 2B, but not at SS. Also, there is some concern that his injury and off field problems might end up being a problem.
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:04 am

1 x
Screw Pitchers

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:06 am

Backtobanks wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:Russell’s a solid starting ML SS with an elite pedigree entering peak prime power years. That’s...even if you don’t buy him becoming a superstar that is a wildly valuable player. It would be devastating to go from him to Baez in 2018.

Of course he's valuable, which is why he would probably get us some of the big name pitchers we've been discussing. I think you're totally exaggerating by saying "It would be devastating to go from him to Baez in 2018", when he showed that he was more than able to replace him when Russell was out with an injury. The defense would suffer at 2B, but not at SS. Also, there is some concern that his injury and off field problems might end up being a problem.

Russell is literally the best or 2nd best defensive SS in baseball, Javy is not
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:06 am

the implied eye roll from every beat writer as they confirm(in some cases for the second time) that the Cubs didn't go over the luxury tax is hilarious
4 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:27 am

Yeah, Rogers threw out a "bet money on it" lol. Nightengale is just flat out horrible.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:02 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:

Third at best (Simmons and Lindor, for sure) but my God do Cubs fans underrate Russell's SS defense and overestimate Javy's.
3 x

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:52 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote: Cubs fans underrate Russell's SS defense and overestimate Javy's.

For sure
0 x

Guancous
All-Star

Postby Guancous » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:13 am

1 x
Jose Quintana will be on the next Cubs team that wins a World Series.

chopsx9
Starter

Postby chopsx9 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:04 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:

Even so "devastating" seems a little...well alot hyperbolic.
0 x
Stone added: "Lou's probably grumpy, because he only went 3-for-11 against me with no RBIs."

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:50 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:

Third at best (Simmons and Lindor, for sure) but my God do Cubs fans underrate Russell's SS defense and overestimate Javy's.

I'm certainly not underrating Russell's defense, but Baez played 26 consecutive errorless games while replacing him so it's not like we're bringing back Jeff Blauser to play SS.
1 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:07 pm

Russell is a career +13 UZR at SS while Baez is a career +1. I don't think that's the gospel truth, but there's a significant gap. Baez's 2016 and end of 2017 have obscured perceptions because 1) like most he's much better at 2B and that's where most of his defensive wizardry has been 2) he has higher highs and lower lows in terms of the plays he does and doesn't make
0 x

KingCubsFan
All-Star

Postby KingCubsFan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:04 pm

I'm all for trading Happ because he doesn't really have a position and I don't completely believe in his power long-term, but this talk of trading guys like Russell for a pitcher who will probably blow his arm out at some point is ridiculous. Am I the only one left in the horsefeathers pitchers camp?
0 x

Return to “Transactions”