Offseason Transactions

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:03 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
We Got The Whole 9 wrote:Totally on board with signing Cozart and trading whichever SS they decide needs to go. Addy's in-season circus and stagnant offense make me think he'll be the one.

Russell and Cozart are pretty much the same offensive players for their career even throwing in Cozart’s outlier year at 32. They both literally have a .309 career wOBA and 90 WRC+. Unless Cozart is going all Babe Murphy I’d say it’s a pretty good bet Russell is better than him over the life of whatever contract Cozart gets. Unless we are getting Stroman for Russell I’m not trading him.
Well yeah that would be the point. Russell makes a strong primary piece for a SP trade (probably as good of a piece to dangle as any team has so I think a play for Stroman is certainly plausible) and we can probably bet on Cozart at least being an excellent defender and good bet for 2ish WAR with a good bit of realistic upside beyond that. Plus he might not cost a pick to sign.

It's a very risky move because Russell still has so much room for growth but I see it as the move that can land that hugely important CCSP without doing a tremendous amount of damage to the roster.
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Re: RE: Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:29 pm

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
We Got The Whole 9 wrote:Totally on board with signing Cozart and trading whichever SS they decide needs to go. Addy's in-season circus and stagnant offense make me think he'll be the one.

Russell and Cozart are pretty much the same offensive players for their career even throwing in Cozart’s outlier year at 32. They both literally have a .309 career wOBA and 90 WRC+. Unless Cozart is going all Babe Murphy I’d say it’s a pretty good bet Russell is better than him over the life of whatever contract Cozart gets. Unless we are getting Stroman for Russell I’m not trading him.
Well yeah that would be the point. Russell makes a strong primary piece for a SP trade (probably as good of a piece to dangle as any team has so I think a play for Stroman is certainly plausible) and we can probably bet on Cozart at least being an excellent defender and good bet for 2ish WAR with a good bit of realistic upside beyond that. Plus he might not cost a pick to sign.

It's a very risky move because Russell still has so much room for growth but I see it as the move that can land that hugely important CCSP without doing a tremendous amount of damage to the roster.

Yeah I get this thinking but I just don’t like the risk. Feels like we’d get burned more times than not with Russell turning in to a star and the SP we get dying. I don’t want to make that bet. I’d rather trade Happ for a lower level type cost controlled SP if we go that route like a Foltynewicz just as an example. Hell I'd probably even rather trade Happ for Samardzija than Russell for Stroman and sign Cozart, I like Russell that much.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

davell
Hall of Fame

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby davell » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:24 pm

Russell isn't necessarily the most valuable of our group to trade from. No one is. That's what's great. We've got 5 major league, cost controlled, starting caliber players to trade from.

Out of the other 29 teams, my honest guess is ALL 5 of the group would be the top option for at least 1 team. Probably be really close between Russell, Baez, Schwarber, and Happ to see who got the most votes. Teams have different needs and eval processes obviously. The cool thing though, is with our selection of players, there WILL be some teams that absolutely love a player or two, from us.

I've got no idea WHICH player(s) we move, but I'm pretty damn positive that we'll get something very fun out of it. Because we'll have multiple options to choose from. We're in an excellent spot here, this is going to be very fun.

Especially since we can add back the depth we've just dealt from.
1 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:09 pm

Try to keep your excitement under control, fellas

0 x
Screw Pitchers

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:28 pm

Yeah, on paper, a dime-a-dozen pen arm type. Big fastball, average slider. IIRC there was some sinking action. That said, some decent minor league numbers, and sometimes, these dime-a-dozen types put it together (witness Blake Parker becoming a good closer).
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:14 am

0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:10 pm

Would it be crazy for Wade Davis to accept his qualifying offer? 17.4Mil is a lot of money for a closer. He won't see that AAV in any year of his next deal. So, does he take the big pay day now and still be in-line for a long-term deal if he performs like 2016? He'll be 32 for 90% of the 2017 season. And giving a 33-year old closer a 3-4 year deal is pretty much the same as giving one to a 32 year old. And he could potentially increase his AAV with another strong season.
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:24 pm

rawaction wrote:Would it be crazy for Wade Davis to accept his qualifying offer? 17.4Mil is a lot of money for a closer. He won't see that AAV in any year of his next deal. So, does he take the big pay day now and still be in-line for a long-term deal if he performs like 2016? He'll be 32 for 90% of the 2017 season. And giving a 33-year old closer a 3-4 year deal is pretty much the same as giving one to a 32 year old. And he could potentially increase his AAV with another strong season.

maybe wade really believes in himself, but if i was him i would be so terrified of falling off a cliff in 2018 that i would take the best multi-year offer and roll with it
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:29 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
rawaction wrote:Would it be crazy for Wade Davis to accept his qualifying offer? 17.4Mil is a lot of money for a closer. He won't see that AAV in any year of his next deal. So, does he take the big pay day now and still be in-line for a long-term deal if he performs like 2016? He'll be 32 for 90% of the 2017 season. And giving a 33-year old closer a 3-4 year deal is pretty much the same as giving one to a 32 year old. And he could potentially increase his AAV with another strong season.

maybe wade really believes in himself, but if i was him i would be so terrified of falling off a cliff in 2018 that i would take the best multi-year offer and roll with it

Yeah, a pitcher would be silly to not go with a multiyear contract as long as it's remotely close to the AAV of the 1-year offer.
0 x

champaignchris
Starter

Postby champaignchris » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:15 pm

I believe $17.4 would make Davis the highest paid reliever in the Majors for the season. I believe Chapman is at $17.2 and Jansen’s contract is backloaded, making $10 this year before jumping up to $18 in 2019 and beyond.

So it really depends on what offers he gets. If he’s getting offers like 3 years at $30, he’d quite likely end up ahead by taking the QO. Even if he has a bad year and “only” gets offers $6 or $8 a year in 2019, he’s probably better of. If in the other hand, he’s getting offers for 4 years at $60, then he takes that instead of the QO.
0 x

champaignchris
Starter

Postby champaignchris » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:22 pm

I should add that I think Melancon’s 4 years at $62 is a pretty good guess as to what kind of deal Davis might get, which would be a no brainer over taking the QO.
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:34 am

champaignchris wrote:I believe $17.4 would make Davis the highest paid reliever in the Majors for the season. I believe Chapman is at $17.2 and Jansen’s contract is backloaded, making $10 this year before jumping up to $18 in 2019 and beyond.

So it really depends on what offers he gets. If he’s getting offers like 3 years at $30, he’d quite likely end up ahead by taking the QO. Even if he has a bad year and “only” gets offers $6 or $8 a year in 2019, he’s probably better of. If in the other hand, he’s getting offers for 4 years at $60, then he takes that instead of the QO.

No. He has 10 days to decide to accept the QO or not. Can get no offers before then.
0 x

JeffH
All-Star

Postby JeffH » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:50 am

rawaction wrote:
champaignchris wrote:I believe $17.4 would make Davis the highest paid reliever in the Majors for the season. I believe Chapman is at $17.2 and Jansen’s contract is backloaded, making $10 this year before jumping up to $18 in 2019 and beyond.

No. He has 10 days to decide to accept the QO or not. Can get no offers before then.

Why can't he get an offer before then?
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:27 am

JeffH wrote:
rawaction wrote:

Why can't he get an offer before then?

My bad. I thought FAs couldn't negotiate with other teams until like 15 days after the WS. Wasn't that a thing at one point?
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:42 pm

FYI:

Chicago Cubs
Elected free agency: OF Leonys Martin
Added to 40-man roster: RHP Matt Carasiti
Removed from 40-man: SS Mike Freeman | OF Leonys Martin (outrighted to Triple-A)

John Andreoli and Trey Martin were the most well known names amongst Cub minor leaguers electing free agency.
0 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:29 pm

Full list of the minor league free agents:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/m ... dGW2HB2.97

Lot of interesting names for depth purposes (or just amusement; former big time prospects like Banuelos and Mason Williams and former Cubs prospects like Jake Fox, Mitch Atkins, Aaron Kurcz, MIKE OLT, Shawon Dunston Jr., Mendy, to name a few)

Cubs FA:

Chicago Cubs (10)
RHP: Scott Carroll (AAA) | Williams Perez (AAA)
2B: Jemile Weeks (AAA)
3B: Chris Dominguez (AAA)
SS: Mike Freeman (AAA) | Ozzie Martinez (AAA) | Elliot Soto (AAA)
OF: John Andreoli (AAA) | Ryan Kalish (SS) | Trey Martin (AA)
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:38 pm

0 x

d_money
All-Star

Postby d_money » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:16 pm

Banedon wrote:https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/928707872770396160

I’ve read a couple articles that say something to the effect of: StL is willing to send their top pitching prospect (Weaver).

Well no horsefeathers - I would think it’ll be a minimum of 2 top pitching prospects + others.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:22 pm

I think the biggest barrier is probably Stanton saying 'nah I don't want to go to St. Louis' with his NTC.
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:26 pm

Their RF already hits like Stanton vs us every game
0 x
Screw Pitchers

XZero77
Superstar

Postby XZero77 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:00 pm

d_money wrote:

I’ve read a couple articles that say something to the effect of: StL is willing to send their top pitching prospect (Weaver).

Well no horsefeathers - I would think it’ll be a minimum of 2 top pitching prospects + others.

I know more than a few Cardinals fans seem to think that if they were to take on Stanton's full contract, they would only have to send second-tier prospects.

Besides the fact that I can't see the Cards taking on all of that money, it would take two of Reyes/Weaver/Flaherty, plus others, IMHO. Anything less than that, and they will be outbid by another team.
0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:05 pm

Two teams is enough to start a bidding war so that's good. That doesn't even account for the fabled "mystery team" that always seems to emerge at the last minute.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:02 pm

I'm genuinely surprised Bob successfully named 3 baseball teams AND a player
1 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:01 pm

A few general thoughts, from articles heading into the GM meetings, from Gordo, Mooney, and Levine....

We were mentioned on Morrow and McGee again.

We supposedly have between 65-75 mill to spend. (Assuming arb guys included there)

Seems like less spending this year, to open up next years checkbook

Cobb mentioned as a guy we could sign very early, so we head into the Winter Meetings in a strengthier position for trading.

One or TWO of our position player group could be dealt.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:20 pm

davell wrote:A few general thoughts, from articles heading into the GM meetings, from Gordo, Mooney, and Levine....

We were mentioned on Morrow and McGee again.

We supposedly have between 65-75 mill to spend. (Assuming arb guys included there)

Seems like less spending this year, to open up next years checkbook

Cobb mentioned as a guy we could sign very early, so we head into the Winter Meetings in a strengthier position for trading.

One or TWO of our position player group could be dealt.

Gd right

The last one is exciting. I don’t particularly buy into the non-Bryant/Rizzo/Contreras group and am excited by what the FO might land (coughStromanandOsunacough).
0 x

Return to “Transactions”