Offseason Transactions

ScrubMD
5-Time All-Star

Re: Offseason Transactions

Postby ScrubMD » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:37 pm

Brewers signed Fatt Albers. Preparing for another round of sportswriter WHATCHA GONNA DO NOW THEO! STEARNS CAME TO PLAY ALL BETS ARE OFF tweets.
0 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:43 am

The Royals and Athletics have agreed to a four-player swap. Left-hander Ryan Buchter and first base/DH-type Brandon Moss will head to Oakland in the deal, while right-hander Jesse Hahn and minor-league righty Heath Fillmyer are ticketed for Kansas City. The Royals also included $3.25MM in cash as part of the deal. Jeffrey Flanagan of MLB.com was first with the news.

Could pave the way for the Royals signing Hosner.

And an old friend alert:

The Tigers announced Monday that they’ve signed left-hander Travis Wood to a minor league contract and invited him to Major League Spring Training.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:41 am

Damn, I really wanted Avila back. I’ll be extra pissed now if we don’t get Darvish because the savings of getting a lesser pitcher would’ve allowed us to add him.

0 x
Screw Pitchers

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:33 am

i'll always remember him as the guy who gave us the best moment of the season right after the world series
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:30 pm

I wish we would've been all over this, even if we had to bump it by a few million.

0 x
Screw Pitchers

chopsx9
Starter

Postby chopsx9 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:41 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:I wish we would've been all over this, even if we had to bump it by a few million.

He's going get a ton more playing time with the DBacks, no?
0 x
Stone added: "Lou's probably grumpy, because he only went 3-for-11 against me with no RBIs."

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:19 pm

chopsx9 wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:I wish we would've been all over this, even if we had to bump it by a few million.

He's going get a ton more playing time with the DBacks, no?

Yeah, this feels like a gentlemen's agreement to me. I'll bet we would have gladly offered that money but were open about our ability to give him playing time and respected his wishes to go elsewhere for more
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:24 pm

Yeah, he’ll get a lot more playing time but he said earlier in the year he’d go to a contender even if he had a lesser role. If 2/8.5 was his best offer for playing time, I’d assume 2/12 would’ve been enough to nudge him to come to us to play less.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:01 am

So going with your 2/12 estimate, that would be $6 million against the cap this year.

We have no way of knowing for sure what the Cubs feel they can safely spend going into the season, but if spending that 6 mill would only allow the Cubs to offer a max of $24 million per for Darvish and he won't sign for that AAV, would you still want Avila?
0 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:08 am

CubsWin wrote:

So going with your 2/12 estimate, that would be $6 million against the cap this year.

We have no way of knowing for sure what the Cubs feel they can safely spend going into the season, but if spending that 6 mill would only allow the Cubs to offer a max of $24 million per for Darvish and he won't sign for that AAV, would you still want Avila?

No, obviously. That’s part of the reason I’m pissed Darvish is taking so much time because if he didn’t decide us we could have gone Cobb or Jake and Avila most likely for under the ~30 mil we have to work with.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:24 pm

Mark Appel is taking an "indefinite break" from baseball. If he doesn't return and make it to the majors, he'd become the third number 1 overall pick to never make it to the big leagues.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2757 ... ring-at-26
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:48 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Mark Appel is taking an "indefinite break" from baseball. If he doesn't return and make it to the majors, he'd become the third number 1 overall pick to never make it to the big leagues.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2757 ... ring-at-26

i have no idea why i thought he'd already gotten a cup of coffee
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:52 pm

really interesting article. thank you for sharing
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:02 pm

Damn. Can't help but feel bad for the guy.

He was having the worst season of his life—in a league of 20- and 21-year-olds. Ten starts in, on his 23rd birthday, Appel hit the mental reset button. He was scheduled to pitch the next day against the Visalia Rawhide, a chance to move past the 9.57 ERA he had posted as a 22-year-old.

Instead, he had the worst start of his life. Appel went 1.2 innings and allowed seven hits and seven runs while striking out two and walking one. He walked off the mound and watched the next inning before returning to the locker room, tears streaming down his face. He shut the door and screamed until his voice went hoarse. Across the locker room, about the distance from the pitching mound to home plate, he noticed a particle-board panel and a baseball lying on the ground next to him. He picked it up and threw it across the locker room as hard as he could, 100 mph, aiming for the wood.

The ball broke through and hit the drywall and sheetrock behind it.

"That felt good," Appel thought. "I need to do more of that."

He grabbed a box of balls sitting above a locker. For 30 minutes, Appel threw 80 baseballs at the wall, cracking through the board and hitting the wall with a thud. When he was finished, he sat down, breathing heavily, grunting. Ten minutes after the noise ended, Appel's teammate, Josh Hader, walked out of the bathroom. He had heard the entire ordeal and was too scared to leave the stall. The pair laughed before Hader returned to the field and silence filled the room. Appel heard the crowd cheering outside, the air conditioner purring in the background.

0 x
► Show Spoiler

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:38 pm

0 x

cwood218
Role Player

Postby cwood218 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:31 pm

Image[/quote]

looks like most of those were balls with the few strikes being right down the middle ... perhaps he needs some time with Crash Davis and Annie Savoy:
0 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:55 pm

#YouWereGood

The Nationals have signed veteran catcher Miguel Montero to a minor league deal and invited him to Major League Spring Training, tweets Chelsea Janes of the Washington Post.
2 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:50 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:Damn. Can't help but feel bad for the guy.

He was having the worst season of his life—in a league of 20- and 21-year-olds. Ten starts in, on his 23rd birthday, Appel hit the mental reset button. He was scheduled to pitch the next day against the Visalia Rawhide, a chance to move past the 9.57 ERA he had posted as a 22-year-old.

Instead, he had the worst start of his life. Appel went 1.2 innings and allowed seven hits and seven runs while striking out two and walking one. He walked off the mound and watched the next inning before returning to the locker room, tears streaming down his face. He shut the door and screamed until his voice went hoarse. Across the locker room, about the distance from the pitching mound to home plate, he noticed a particle-board panel and a baseball lying on the ground next to him. He picked it up and threw it across the locker room as hard as he could, 100 mph, aiming for the wood.

The ball broke through and hit the drywall and sheetrock behind it.

"That felt good," Appel thought. "I need to do more of that."

He grabbed a box of balls sitting above a locker. For 30 minutes, Appel threw 80 baseballs at the wall, cracking through the board and hitting the wall with a thud. When he was finished, he sat down, breathing heavily, grunting. Ten minutes after the noise ended, Appel's teammate, Josh Hader, walked out of the bathroom. He had heard the entire ordeal and was too scared to leave the stall. The pair laughed before Hader returned to the field and silence filled the room. Appel heard the crowd cheering outside, the air conditioner purring in the background.

Yeah. I can be jealous of guys who get drafted, make millions, but its so hard to see them when they fail that big
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:08 am

I'm all for players trying to get the most money but it's hard to buy in to collusion or teams holding prices down when you hear this, from Rosenthal's article he just posted...

The industry-wide assumption remains that free-agent outfielder J.D. Martinez will land in Boston, but the Red Sox cannot be sure.

Martinez, 30, has yet to accept Boston’s reported five-year, $125 million offer. He is telling people in Miami that he is willing to hold out until he gets his price, as first reported by FanRag Sports’ Jon Heyman. He also is telling people that he is fed up with the Red Sox’s inflexibility and would rather sign with another club, sources say.

I'm sure he wants more and thought he'd get more but 5/125 seems quite reasonably fair for a player like Martinez all things considered (age, DH only, power not being as premium with juiced balls/swing changes/whatever, etc.).
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Splendid Splinter
All-Star

Postby Splendid Splinter » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:20 am

He also played more than 123 games once in 7 seasons.
1 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:22 pm

Another thing in all this that amazes me, and it's not just MLB it's all the major sports, is that I don't get why former players lead the union (in more than a figurehead role). They are negotiating against billionaire owners and leagues who have guys with Ivy League MBA and Law degrees going up against them, it's a unbalanced negotiating table form the start just from a pure intellectual perspective. I'm sure it's not just Tony Clark up against a boardroom full of Owner and League lawyers and I'm sure he has assistance from people with the requisite skill sets but in all league it seems like the main player repping them has major say in the negotiations (obviously the players need a voice at the table and they can handle some things) but it really seems like they should have a former agent/someone with a MBA/Law Degree being their leader and head of things and not a former player.

I remember when the NBA had their lockout a few years ago Simmons wrote about this how it was ridiculous Derek Fisher (head of the union at the time) was the main guy negotiating for the players against a bunch of guys who's job it is full time to negotiate deals for the owners/league.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:36 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:Another thing in all this that amazes me, and it's not just MLB it's all the major sports, is that I don't get why former players lead the union (in more than a figurehead role). They are negotiating against billionaire owners and leagues who have guys with Ivy League MBA and Law degrees going up against them, it's a unbalanced negotiating table form the start just from a pure intellectual perspective. I'm sure it's not just Tony Clark up against a boardroom full of Owner and League lawyers and I'm sure he has assistance from people with the requisite skill sets but in all league it seems like the main player repping them has major say in the negotiations (obviously the players need a voice at the table and they can handle some things) but it really seems like they should have a former agent/someone with a MBA/Law Degree being their leader and head of things and not a former player.

I remember when the NBA had their lockout a few years ago Simmons wrote about this how it was ridiculous Derek Fisher (head of the union at the time) was the main guy negotiating for the players against a bunch of guys who's job it is full time to negotiate deals for the owners/league.

Depending on your definition, Clark is the first former player to head the MLBPA, the only other possibility is when Bob Feller was President of The American Baseball Guild, which was pre-unionization. It's been labor lawyers running the show for the 55 years between Feller and Clark.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:39 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:Another thing in all this that amazes me, and it's not just MLB it's all the major sports, is that I don't get why former players lead the union (in more than a figurehead role). They are negotiating against billionaire owners and leagues who have guys with Ivy League MBA and Law degrees going up against them, it's a unbalanced negotiating table form the start just from a pure intellectual perspective. I'm sure it's not just Tony Clark up against a boardroom full of Owner and League lawyers and I'm sure he has assistance from people with the requisite skill sets but in all league it seems like the main player repping them has major say in the negotiations (obviously the players need a voice at the table and they can handle some things) but it really seems like they should have a former agent/someone with a MBA/Law Degree being their leader and head of things and not a former player.

Depending on your definition, Clark is the first former player to head the MLBPA, the only other possibility is when Bob Feller was President of The American Baseball Guild, which was pre-unionization. It's been labor lawyers running the show for the 55 years between Feller and Clark.

I didn't know that on the MLB side, put kinda reinforces the point that now that there isn't a qualified guy running it there's some major contention. I know the NBA has been doing it with a player going back to at least the late 2000s or early 2010s.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:59 pm

good news: something happened

bad news: it's just russell wilson being traded to the Yankees because he wanted to be a Yankee
0 x

TarzanJoeWallis
Role Player

Postby TarzanJoeWallis » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:05 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:

I didn't know that on the MLB side, put kinda reinforces the point that now that there isn't a qualified guy running it there's some major contention. I know the NBA has been doing it with a player going back to at least the late 2000s or early 2010s.

Fisher was just the player rep (it is now Chris Paul). They don’t run the union or serve as lead negotiator. That was Billy Hunter, and now Michele Roberts.
0 x

Return to “Transactions”