Cubs Offseason Rumors

Bear Cub
Starter

Re: Cubs Offseason Rumors

Postby Bear Cub » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:40 am

I heard Levine and he did say the Cubs had eight offers out as of now. (Arrieta,Darvish,Cobb,Archer,Cole, Colome,Cain, and Yelish.) He said that the Cubs would be interested in Cain at 13/15 a year.
2 x
Bring Sammy back into the Cubs family!

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:45 pm

Bear Cub wrote:I heard Levine and he did say the Cubs had eight offers out as of now. (Arrieta,Darvish,Cobb,Archer,Cole, Colome,Cain, and Yelish.) He said that the Cubs would be interested in Cain at 13/15 a year.

I don't understand the interest in Cain at all, unless we plan on moving Almora and/or Happ in a deal for pitching I guess? I mean I'd be down for signing Cain on 1 year pillow-contract if he doesn't get the multiyear deal he's looking for...

If we signed Cain I doubt it'd be on a one year deal though. Defense is an important part of L. Cain's game and if his offensive abilities collapse I don't think it's wise to invest that much money in two players solely for their defensive abilities.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:42 am

I'm surprised we haven't made an official offer for Salazar
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:17 am

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:I'm surprised we haven't made an official offer for Salazar

He seems like the high risk/injury profile pitcher they have shown to avoid. Especially for the likely acquisition cost (would think Schwarbs or Happ or Javy would be asked for). They seem to like guys with cleaner track records or defined injury like TJS (Lackey, Cobb, Darvish, wasn’t TJS but Wade’s elbow). Salazar is all over the place with injuries. Salazar would be a pretty hard pass for me unless the asking price was low like Monty being the main MLB piece (maybe they want some rotation stability, Monty wants to start and we want to take the risk on Salazar).
0 x
Screw Pitchers

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: Cubs Offseason Rumors

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:29 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
We Got The Whole 9 wrote:I'm surprised we haven't made an official offer for Salazar

He seems like the high risk/injury profile pitcher they have shown to avoid. Especially for the likely acquisition cost (would think Schwarbs or Happ or Javy would be asked for). They seem to like guys with cleaner track records or defined injury like TJS (Lackey, Cobb, Darvish, wasn’t TJS but Wade’s elbow). Salazar is all over the place with injuries. Salazar would be a pretty hard pass for me unless the asking price was low like Monty being the main MLB piece (maybe they want some rotation stability, Monty wants to start and we want to take the risk on Salazar).
Well it does appear they like to kick the tires each year at least so there's significant interest there. I guess they just haven't made a formal offer.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Re: RE: Re: Cubs Offseason Rumors

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:34 am

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:

Well it does appear they like to kick the tires each year at least so there's significant interest there. I guess they just haven't made a formal offer.

I think the rumors of being connected to him are almost all media driven. I don’t think there’s ever been anything concrete on him or Carrasco or Bauer about offers. More just media speculation/mock trades, kinda like the Mets pitching rumors for Starlin/Javy/etc back in the day, mostly writers making stuff up that “makes sense.”
0 x
Screw Pitchers

JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:00 pm

I realize all of the "lets trade Montgomery cause he wants to start" talk is a real thing that happens in sports but I hope it doesnt get to the table in Theo's office. I mean, I get trading him if it makes us better, but I dont get trading him just because he wants to start. I am sure La Stella would like to start too, but it just isnt happening right now. We want to put together the best roster possible, and having Montgomery in the role he is in now helps us achieve that. If he can't come around to that idea, too horsefeathering bad.
0 x

Have a seat, Neifi
Starter

Postby Have a seat, Neifi » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:05 pm

Other better/more informed posters have already said this, but I assume most of these trade and free agent "offers" are contingent on other things happening or not happening. For example, I suspect our free agent offer to Cain (and/or our trade offer for Archer) is contingent on us not signing Darvish or Arrieta or the Marlins accepting any currently outstanding trade offer for Yelich.

The more interesting piece to me is what Theo and Jed's internal "pecking order" for these various moves. My personal preference would be Darvish + a trade for Yelich (assuming the price isn't outrageous), though Cain + a trade for Archer (same assumption) wouldn't ruin my January either.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:33 pm

Our group is obviously cautious. I'm really thinking that we're part of the reason for the slow off season, at this point. Why? Arbitration and the LT. 1)I think most of our targets likely have us first as their preference. 2) Were got guys hitting arb that could easily be 4-5 mill different than what the MLBTR estimates say. Example- KB and Addy costing 10.5 and 3.5 instead of 8.9 and 2.3.....3) These figures mean a ton to us, due to the LT and shape how much we ACTUALLY can give anyone in FA.

If we want to sign Darvish and trade for Yelich.....

Heyward-23, Lester-25.8, Zobrist-14, Chatwood-12.7, Morrow-10.5, Cishek-6.5, Quintana-4.2, Rizzo-5.9, Strop-5.9, Smyly-5

Total-113.5(These numbers are rounded off to the nearest 10th)

Arb Estimates

KB-8.9, Hendricks-4.9, Wilson-4.3, Addy-2.3, Grimm-2.4, Seal Boy-1

Total-23.8

Total of 137.1

Figure on 10 pre arb guys making the roster at 600k apiece- 6 mill (now 143.1 total)

Figure on the rest of your 40 man- 3 mill( now 146.1 total)

Add in for insurances- 16 mill(again, an estimate) New total of 162.1

This leaves 36.9 mill to spend up against the LT.

But, these estimates being off by a few mill alters things quite a bit.....

Let's say Yu signs for 5/140. That's 28 obviously. Yelich is 7.1. Do you make those moves RIGHT NOW, prior to knowing your true arb numbers? It'd leave you 1.8 under the LT AND no room for in season moves.

Having a firmer grasp on the true numbers allows you certainty of what you're truly committing to.

Again, this is just a guess on Darvish. But, you see how the margins are tight as hell.

We're obviously dead set on staying under the LT. We want to put the best possible team out there, that we can. I think we're a premier destination and players are willing to wait this situation out.

Unless we trade for the SP, I really think we're holding the market up until after the arb stuff is done.
2 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Bertz
Starter

Postby Bertz » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:12 pm

davell wrote:Our group is obviously cautious. I'm really thinking that we're part of the reason for the slow off season, at this point. Why? Arbitration and the LT. 1)I think most of our targets likely have us first as their preference. 2) Were got guys hitting arb that could easily be 4-5 mill different than what the MLBTR estimates say. Example- KB and Addy costing 10.5 and 3.5 instead of 8.9 and 2.3.....3) These figures mean a ton to us, due to the LT and shape how much we ACTUALLY can give anyone in FA.

This is a really good point. I could see it affecting the Dodgers, Yankees, and Giants as well. All three of them are ~15 million under the tax. The Yankees seem to want another starter, and the Giants want another outfielder. The Dodgers seem to be done, but maybe they're talking to Addison Reed or one of the second tier starters like Jaime Garcia. Hell, the Astros are in a similar position to us as well, ~40 under the cap and talking to Darvish.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:47 pm

Lord, even the dumb jerk Bears are moving faster than the Cubs this offseason.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:10 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Lord, even the dumb jerk Bears are moving faster than the Cubs this offseason.

Might be evidence that moving faster isn't always better.
1 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:20 pm

JennieGarthAlgar wrote:I realize all of the "lets trade Montgomery cause he wants to start" talk is a real thing that happens in sports but I hope it doesnt get to the table in Theo's office. I mean, I get trading him if it makes us better, but I dont get trading him just because he wants to start. I am sure La Stella would like to start too, but it just isnt happening right now. We want to put together the best roster possible, and having Montgomery in the role he is in now helps us achieve that. If he can't come around to that idea, too horsefeathering bad.

I agree he shouldn't be traded for the sake of being traded, he is valuable in his current role. But if he is unhappy and they feel that will hurt things and he can be traded for go value by himself (before Britton blew out his Achilles a Monty as the main big league piece for Britton swap made some sense) or with someone else (part of a Cole, Yelich, or Archer trade also makes sense) I'd be fine with it.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:53 pm

Dierkes just put out an article stating what I mentioned earlier. No negotiating arb between filing and hearings. This definitely shows why we're cautious right now. The good news is we may have agreements with all our guys by the 12th. Which conceivably could lead to a very lively next few days. It'd be funny if the Cubs Convention actually WAS going on for something big going down, like people always seem to expect
3 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:44 pm

Banedon wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Lord, even the dumb jerk Bears are moving faster than the Cubs this offseason.

Might be evidence that moving faster isn't always better.

I like the Nagy hire for the Bears. I'm not huge on Ryan Pace's moves so far, but I think Nagy is a nice, young offensive mind who should bring in an aggressive, but somewhat "QB friendly" (at least for a young QB) system in for Trubisky. Couple that with the run game in place, and the defense, and ... I like the Nagy move. Better than the Fox move, which I never liked but understood. It's a good gamble for the organization.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:43 pm

Ok, we were just joking around....lets leave the Bears discussion in it's appropriate thread.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:26 pm

Banedon wrote:Ok, we were just joking around....lets leave the Bears discussion in it's appropriate thread.

What else are we going to talk about this boring offseason?
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:32 pm

What kind of pizza does Nagy like best?
2 x
► Show Spoiler

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:40 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:What kind of pizza does Nagy like best?

I believe he spent most of his youth in NJ, eastern PA so I'm guessing he's a NY slice kind of guy.
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:54 pm

Then welcome to HELL, Nagy.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:55 pm

I mean, it was already obviously a "welcome to HELL"-type of situation, but now it's PIZZA HELL, too.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:12 pm

He Tweeted this recently...not sure if related or not.

god, if this is a thing, i really hope it's a darvish surprise and not a jake surprise.
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:18 pm

Wouldn't the CLTV appearance be the exciting info? Especially since the excited info tweet was threaded about his plans for Cubs Convention?
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:20 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Wouldn't the CLTV appearance be the exciting info? Especially since the excited info tweet was threaded about his plans for Cubs Convention?

I guess. But his appearance on some CLTV show that is a notch above 90's public access tv doesn't seem like something he'd have to keep on the down-low.

I figured he was alluding to something with the "Hmm" line
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:37 pm

0 x

Return to “Transactions”