Cubs Offseason Rumors

Tim
Hall of Fame

Re: Cubs Offseason Rumors

Postby Tim » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:44 pm

Neuby wrote:

I don't know why I hate Jon Jay but I do..... I'd rather the Cubs have interest in Cashner for a swing role like Levine suggested earlier this week.

I'd just head to camp with what we have right now. Save some room under the cap in case we need additional pitching depth mid year.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:00 pm

Tim wrote:
Neuby wrote:

I don't know why I hate Jon Jay but I do..... I'd rather the Cubs have interest in Cashner for a swing role like Levine suggested earlier this week.

I'd just head to camp with what we have right now. Save some room under the cap in case we need additional pitching depth mid year.

Yeah, no reason to make any other moves now. Getting Darvish pretty much puts us in the drivers seat to get deep into the playoffs, if not to the WS as things stand now.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:13 pm

We're probably done and I'm absolutely OK with that. We do probably have a bit of money to play wit, if we wanted to though, and still be fine for deadline acquisitions.

On what though? If a guy like Cashner took 5-6 mill? I'm in. I don't think he's taking it, but if he did, I'd be more than OK with added depth. Same with a guy like Dyson. Again, my guess is he's getting more than that. But, he'd be a cool luxury, if he somehow fit, if it left us in solid shape for the deadline.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Bote McBoteface
All-Star

Postby Bote McBoteface » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:35 pm

I wanna try to get Britton on the cheap.
0 x

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:27 pm

Imagining a trade deadline one half a season before a lot of top tier players become free agents could create some good deals while teams try to free up salary/contract guarantees before the free agent window opens. I'd rather wait and see if there are some needs/deals at the deadline rather than use up what remains of their budget under the cap.
1 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:47 pm

I'd rather go with Zagunis/Hannemman/Bourjus as the extra OF rather than spend money on Jay.

Also, why? Old news, right?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2758 ... e-odorizzi

All of the attention has been focused on Chris Archer as a possible trade chip for the Rays, but Odorizzi is getting even more attention on the trade market, according to one major league source. The Orioles, Twins, Brewers, Cubs and Yankees are among the teams that have made inquiries.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:03 am

I'm guessing most of these guys will get major league deals but if they just don't have a market for that I'd be interested in any of the following for minor league deals (with a date during the year they need to be called up by or else they can become a FA) or invite deals that aren't guaranteed if they don't make the team out of ST. Michael Saunders, Jarrod Dyson, Seth Smith, John Jaso, Cameron Maybin, Chris Young, Erick Aybar, and Bud Norris.

Another final move I wouldn't mind is trading Monty and signing Liriano to a 1 year deal for like $5 mil as the swing guy. I'm guessing they'll have a good talk, if they haven't already, with Monty and explain to him how he has an important role/will get starts and all will be fine but if he's going to be a problem and wants to start (he doesn't have much power to do anything) I wouldn't mind trading him for a minor league pitching prospect. The Angels could use a cheap SP option and something like Jamie Barria or Chris Rodriguez could be intriguing or see if the Twins or Orioles have interest for a similar prospect.
Last edited by Cubswin11 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

cubsclapp
Starter

Postby cubsclapp » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:34 am

BigbadB wrote:Imagining a trade deadline one half a season before a lot of top tier players become free agents could create some good deals while teams try to free up salary/contract guarantees before the free agent window opens. I'd rather wait and see if there are some needs/deals at the deadline rather than use up what remains of their budget under the cap.

Charlie Blackmon is one guy I have my eye on with the Rockies potentially flopping, and he'd also be the easiest positional fit if there aren't any big injuries.

Now obviously it would be great if Almora/Happ/Heyward are just fine in CF, but if not, Blackmon would make a lot of sense as a rental (though his defense may be a little bit of a downgrade in CF).

But yeah, for teams trying to clear up salary and bad teams with free agents to be, there should be some intriguing names this July.
1 x
@TheBlogfines

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:05 pm

cubsclapp wrote:
BigbadB wrote:Imagining a trade deadline one half a season before a lot of top tier players become free agents could create some good deals while teams try to free up salary/contract guarantees before the free agent window opens. I'd rather wait and see if there are some needs/deals at the deadline rather than use up what remains of their budget under the cap.

Charlie Blackmon is one guy I have my eye on with the Rockies potentially flopping, and he'd also be the easiest positional fit if there aren't any big injuries.

Now obviously it would be great if Almora/Happ/Heyward are just fine in CF, but if not, Blackmon would make a lot of sense as a rental (though his defense may be a little bit of a downgrade in CF).

But yeah, for teams trying to clear up salary and bad teams with free agents to be, there should be some intriguing names this July.

Just based off eye test, Blackmon in CF seems totally fine defensively. I'd be lying if I thought Almora was significantly better. I would also be lying if I said I knew what I was talking about.
1 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:16 pm

Let's get Monty to buy into his role at least to start the season. Give him some selective starts against teams he can do well against, and hope he puts up similar numbers to what he has before. In a few months, I could see some team needing a starter and seeing all the team control Monty has and giving up a pretty decent package for him, which is what Monty is looking for anyways. This is assuming the rotation stays relatively healthy, and Tseng/Alzolay/Smyly show they're ready to step in as the rotation depth going forward.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:50 pm

Still wouldn’t mind adding Dyson for 1 year and $2-4 million to be a platoon/defensive CF’er and start LaStella or even Happ (let him work on defense at 2B/OF) in AAA. Dyson plays great defense and is a .330-.340 OBP guy vs RHP and a Almora/Dyson platoon should put up good numbers. He could be our “leadoff guy” vs RHP.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Return to “Transactions”