Cubs Offseason Rumors

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Cubs Offseason Rumors

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:15 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
David wrote:in hot stove season you can post all the horsefeathers questionably sourced rumors you want imo

Well normally the rumors ive seen from him and Sears are rehashed stuff from the beat and national guys. Those are not worth posting other than to make fun of them.

Heyman had Cubs and Dodgers on Britton 2 days ago.

https://www.fanragsports.com/heyman-dod ... r-britton/
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:24 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:If it is just Britton (if it's a larger deal, Gausmen, Bundy, etc. I'd get it) I'd be pretty surprised and upset if it's any of the rumored guys from the ML roster going for him, especially this early in the offseason.

I almost wonder if Montgomery would be the guy here. The Orioles can still put up a facade of competitiveness since they have Brach and Givens at the end of the pen, and Montgomery would definitely have a home in that rotation. The Cubs lose out on his swingman abilities, but they don't need him as a true LHRP with Britton and Wilson(plus Edwards's splits), and they could more confidently dive into the bottom of the SP FA/trade market knowing that they have that role open if they luck into someone better.
1 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:28 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:If it is just Britton (if it's a larger deal, Gausmen, Bundy, etc. I'd get it) I'd be pretty surprised and upset if it's any of the rumored guys from the ML roster going for him, especially this early in the offseason.

I almost wonder if Montgomery would be the guy here. The Orioles can still put up a facade of competitiveness since they have Brach and Givens at the end of the pen, and Montgomery would definitely have a home in that rotation. The Cubs lose out on his swingman abilities, but they don't need him as a true LHRP with Britton and Wilson(plus Edwards's splits), and they could more confidently dive into the bottom of the SP FA/trade market knowing that they have that role open if they luck into someone better.

I kind of was wondering if Monty for Britton would be a thing when this first came up but didn't mention it. It makes sense for both teams, Orioles want some SP (for cheap I believe) and you laid out the reasons Monty isn't a huge need if Britton is acquired. Also I could see us having soured a bit on Monty this year, I think some of it was due to him being jerked around and never getting in a real role, but I could see the FO not liking the wildness out of him on top of Theo's comments about getting less wild. It makes a good amount of sense, IMO.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:30 pm

UMFan83 wrote:I normally don’t pass along rumors from this particular person because he seems to have the same type of reputation that Sean Sears does on Twitter, but since he is actually placing a timeline on it and another person backed him up I felt like It was worth posting...take with a grain of salt though..

The first twitter account is from a regular poster at bleacher nation. He knows as much as my Mom does, maybe less.
1 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:35 pm

More rumblings that the Rays are going to shed payroll one way or another: http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball ... _162778806

I wonder if taking on Ramos(1/8.5, 6.25 against LT) might help grease the wheels in a deal for someone like Colome.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:58 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:More rumblings that the Rays are going to shed payroll one way or another: http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball ... _162778806

I wonder if taking on Ramos(1/8.5, 6.25 against LT) might help grease the wheels in a deal for someone like Colome.

I'm not following? I'd think they could move Ramos pretty easily, if they want to.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:14 pm

davell wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:More rumblings that the Rays are going to shed payroll one way or another: http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball ... _162778806

I'm not following? I'd think they could move Ramos pretty easily, if they want to.

I might be understating Ramos's trade value, but if a team is looking to contend, they're probably not too jazzed about Ramos as anything but a backup given his injuries and inconsistency(only 1 year in the last 4 with a 95+ wRC+). As a backup he's pricey for all but a few teams. If a team isn't looking to contend, Ramos's bounce back potential only goes so far since he's over 30 and is only under control for a year(and is never going to get a QO). It's not a difference in trade return like the Jays potentially moving Martin would be, but it could help make things a bit easier. Like Topkin says in his article, if they want to clear salary without touching Archer/Longoria, they can try their best to dump the middling players that have commitments, and packaging Colome/Ramos would be a way to get rid of a sizable bit of payroll(for them) while still getting something worthwhile in return.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:29 pm

davell wrote:

I might be understating Ramos's trade value, but if a team is looking to contend, they're probably not too jazzed about Ramos as anything but a backup given his injuries and inconsistency(only 1 year in the last 4 with a 95+ wRC+). As a backup he's pricey for all but a few teams. If a team isn't looking to contend, Ramos's bounce back potential only goes so far since he's over 30 and is only under control for a year(and is never going to get a QO). It's not a difference in trade return like the Jays potentially moving Martin would be, but it could help make things a bit easier. Like Topkin says in his article, if they want to clear salary without touching Archer/Longoria, they can try their best to dump the middling players that have commitments, and packaging Colome/Ramos would be a way to get rid of a sizable bit of payroll(for them) while still getting something worthwhile in return.

I guess its possible. I just doubt they'd give a break on Colome's price though. They supposedly want to drop 15 mill off their payroll. They've got a bunch of ways to get there. In Ramos' case, I'd guess they'd hold him until a contenders C got hurt and suck whatever bit of value he's got, that way.

At any rate, this encourages me on Archer's possibility of moving even more.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Bertz
Starter

Postby Bertz » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:49 pm

In that same vein, in a deal where we send them Baez or Russell for Archer, I could see us taking back Hechavarria.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:09 pm

davell wrote:I guess its possible. I just doubt they'd give a break on Colome's price though. They supposedly want to drop 15 mill off their payroll. They've got a bunch of ways to get there. In Ramos' case, I'd guess they'd hold him until a contenders C got hurt and suck whatever bit of value he's got, that way.

I'm not saying this means you get Colome for a song, but if the Rays know they can make a deal that cuts 14 million(Colome + Ramos), maybe they don't haggle quite so much knowing that the rest of their offseason then has a lot more flexibility, considering there probably isn't a line of suitors for Ramos and the other contracts they could clear are almost all guys who are more crucial to their success(save maybe Odorizzi, who won't clear as much $ as Ramos anyway).
1 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:01 pm

davell wrote:I guess its possible. I just doubt they'd give a break on Colome's price though. They supposedly want to drop 15 mill off their payroll. They've got a bunch of ways to get there. In Ramos' case, I'd guess they'd hold him until a contenders C got hurt and suck whatever bit of value he's got, that way.

I'm not saying this means you get Colome for a song, but if the Rays know they can make a deal that cuts 14 million(Colome + Ramos), maybe they don't haggle quite so much knowing that the rest of their offseason then has a lot more flexibility, considering there probably isn't a line of suitors for Ramos and the other contracts they could clear are almost all guys who are more crucial to their success(save maybe Odorizzi, who won't clear as much $ as Ramos anyway).

Ok, yeah, I can see that. Kind of a path of least resistance approach, but it does make sense. I hope they blow it up. Considering we've heard no rumors on other SP's being available thru trade, I really do think Archer is going to be dealt. Too many teams in need.

On the other hand though.....With all the pen arms on the market, I think that'll hurt the Colons market quite a bit. I can see them holding off on him until mid season, where reliever prices go up dramatically anyway.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:27 am

They seem to be ready to sell incredibly low on Longo
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:00 pm

Today's the deadline to protect players on the 40-man.
0 x

Agony and Ivy
All-Star

Postby Agony and Ivy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:01 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
David wrote:in hot stove season you can post all the horsefeathers questionably sourced rumors you want imo

Well normally the rumors ive seen from him and Sears are rehashed stuff from the beat and national guys. Those are not worth posting other than to make fun of them.

Sears is my favorite of the wannabe transaction monkeys. He plays his role as the corner store psychic very seriously, but then just blocks anyone that says he stole his scoop. That's dedication because I imagine that is an exhausting fraud to keep up.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:30 pm

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/ ... rieta.html

All of those positive signs now have the Brewers in position to vie for an NL Central title next season, which should prompt the front office to be more willing to spend than it has been in recent years.

We’ve not yet seen a David Stearns-led front office play the role of an aggressive offseason shopper on either the free-agent or trade market thus far, but it seems reasonable to expect that the Brewers will make a number of win-now moves this offseason. On our annual top 50 free agent projections, MLBTR predicted that Arrieta would land in Milwaukee.

Arrieta did reject a $17.4MM qualifying offer from the Cubs, meaning he’d cost the Brewers their third-highest selection in next year’s draft. As of last week, we know that to be the team’s Competitive Balance Round B pick — No. 74 overall. The Cubs, meanwhile, would receive a compensatory pick after Comp Round B, assuming Arrieta signs a deal for more than $50MM guaranteed (which seems like a foregone conclusion).
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:47 am

Oh.

0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:55 am

TBH I’d much rather keep Wilson than sell low on him. I think there’s a pretty good chance he has a bounce back and is actually a pretty valuable part of the pen next year.
0 x
Win it for Fred

XZero77
Superstar

Postby XZero77 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:26 am

UMFan83 wrote:TBH I’d much rather keep Wilson than sell low on him. I think there’s a pretty good chance he has a bounce back and is actually a pretty valuable part of the pen next year.

For sure. I don't see him being traded, nor would I like to see that happen.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:25 am

Wilson's dead; trade him before the corpse stinks up the joint.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:20 pm

I got pretty excited when I read a J. Wilson trade rumor. Trade this man, please!
0 x

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:44 pm

Orioles are supposedly after Almora. I put very little stock in this but it's slow. Anyways, outside of Gausman/Bundy there is no one I'd feel good about trading Almora for.

http://www.12up.com/posts/5822867-report-orioles-express-interest-in-young-cubs-star?a_aid=40920
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:45 pm

Tryptamine wrote:Orioles are supposedly after Almora. I put very little stock in this but it's slow. Anyways, outside of Gausman/Bundy there is no one I'd feel good about trading Almora for.

http://www.12up.com/posts/5822867-report-orioles-express-interest-in-young-cubs-star?a_aid=40920

*looks at source and sees Sean Sears*
0 x
Win it for Fred

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:11 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
Tryptamine wrote:Orioles are supposedly after Almora. I put very little stock in this but it's slow. Anyways, outside of Gausman/Bundy there is no one I'd feel good about trading Almora for.

*looks at source and sees Sean Sears*

Yeah, that's what I did too. But hey, he seemingly made this one up on his own. Progress, for him.
0 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:12 pm

Considering what we gave up for Wilson, I'd much rather keep him and work on mechanics in ST than sell low on him. I think he'll bounce back.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:19 pm

Post Count Padder wrote:Considering what we gave up for Wilson, I'd much rather keep him and work on mechanics in ST than sell low on him. I think he'll bounce back.

He's already got his new entrance music picked out and everything:

3 x
► Show Spoiler

Return to “Transactions”